Start by marking “I'm Exploding Now” as Want to Read:
I'm Exploding Now

I'm Exploding Now

It promises to be a less-than-thrilling summer for 16-year-old Manhattanite Max Whooten. He doesn't have a job. His parents are annoying. His younger sister is even more annoying. His buddy Trevor just got out of a mental institution and the hottest girl he knows is Leila, his best friend, who he'll never get with. All he's got to keep him company is his own anger. An ange ...more
Published September 25th 2007 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about I'm Exploding Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Exploding Now

Meaghan
Nov 28, 2007 Meaghan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adrian Mole lovers
Although this sounded like an ordinary teenager’s diary, and I can see all the events happening to somebody in real life, this book was a disappointment. It was not nearly as funny as the dust jacket blurb suggested it would be. In fact, it was kind of boring. I spent the whole book wondering whether anything was actually going to happen.
Deric Malone
Nov 09, 2016 Deric Malone rated it really liked it
i thought this actually was a pretty a pretty good book. I could relate to the main character max is ver relatable. Like when i first started i just like oh its just another loser in high school who likes a girl who he's scared to talk too. But then as i got more into to it the more i could relate to the more max started to sound like my self.
ACS Librarian
One of my favorite YA books of the year, but I never would have guessed it at first, even with the flying cat on the cover. The first few dozen pages read like a bunch of similarly goofy/bitter sketches, in two and three page chapter slices. 16-year-old Max doesn 19t give himself much time to think as he jots down his New York City summer journal entries and copes with anger management issues.

His thoughts don 19t initially extend beyond his boredom, his cynicism, and of course girls. Here 19s h
Int'l librarian
One of my favorite YA books of the year, but I never would have guessed it at first, even with the flying cat on the cover. The first few dozen pages read like a bunch of similarly goofy/bitter sketches, in two and three page chapter slices. 16-year-old Max doesn’t give himself much time to think as he jots down his New York City summer journal entries and copes with anger management issues.

His thoughts don’t initially extend beyond his boredom, his cynicism, and of course girls. Here’s how he
Sarai
May 10, 2011 Sarai rated it really liked it
The copy I read has a blue cover with a flying cat and The Thinker statue and some legs in fishnet stockings. It's a better cover and what got me interested to read the book. :)

Anyway, I liked this one. It was really a story about nothing, written as journal entries, just random thoughts from 16-year old Max. He has some good days, he has some bad days. It is written with humor and had me smiling through most of it just in his point of view. Fast read, too.

Product Description
It promises to be a
Charles Lai
May 18, 2015 Charles Lai rated it really liked it
The book that i read was I'm Exploding Now by Side Hite. The main character of this story is Max who lives in New York with his family. Max think is parents are annoying and that his sister is worse. Max is like any ordinary urban teen. His friends are Leila and Trevor. Leila is basically Max's best friends and he really likes her. Trevor was in a mental institution for a while and they haven't hung out or talked in a while. Max has many troubles during the story like he tries to get girl or be ...more
Preston B
Nov 09, 2012 Preston B rated it it was amazing
I thought the book I’m Exploding Now by Sid Hite is a fiction book. I thought this was a great book about Max Whooten. The story takes place were Max lives in an interesting life in the city of New York during summer. He lives in an apartment with his sister, mother, and, father plus his cat named Mozart.
Max is having a bad summer because he is off his game. His best friend Leila likes to go outside and go people watching. They have grown up together all there life.
Max summer doesn’t start ou
Kevyn
May 25, 2009 Kevyn added it
Shelves: advisory
I'm exploding now is a bizzare book. Max Whooten, a typical 16 year old living in Manhattan, is about to be let out for summer vacation. Like many students, he doesn't know what do do but wants to make an attempt to not die or boredom. In I'm Exploding Now, we follow Max throughout his summer. Overall i think this book is somewhat boring, just like Max Whootens life. I would say the climax was when he took a trip to see his aunt in an upstate town called Woodstock. In Woodstock, all he does is s ...more
Keiran Wilmot
May 23, 2016 Keiran Wilmot rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book about Max Whooten who is a sixteen year old boy, unemployed, and desperate for a girlfriend. Max try's to find the meaning of life and meets up with a Buddhist friend. He crashes a party and has a cat named crappy. Max keeps a notebook and that is how he writes to the reader throughout the book.
I would recommend this book to young readers that are into realistic fiction. It was a short book and didn't take long to read. I really liked the writing style because he does
ChRiS lY
Apr 21, 2010 ChRiS lY rated it liked it
Max is 16, lives in New York, and annoyed by his family. He doesn't like his pet cat named Crappy. Max has anger issues and his aunt reccomended that he write out the problems he is having. It turns out that writing helps him express his anger and calms him down, he writes in a journal that his aunt sends him. When spring break comes he is sent out to his aunt's place for vacation. When his little sister goes to camp and his parents get the week to themselves.
Max ends up meeting this girl as h
Alyssa
Dec 13, 2014 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
This book explains what it is like to be a kid! The perspective of this book makes me feel like I'm the one living the story.This book shows how stressful and hard life can be as a teenager. Being as soon-to-be teen,I can relate to the narrator of the book.I especially enjoy that the book is written as if it was a teenage boys diary,filled with every-day things.It makes the book unique in many ways
Josestevan Villalobos
May 17, 2013 Josestevan Villalobos rated it really liked it
this book was helarious this boys life is to boring he talkes about living in abox its funny how he gets a lot of girl and the wons he likes dont like him back and come back to his life having boyfreinds. this book gives a major concept of life live it now not later this kid wasent really funny the stuff that happend to him were
Brenda Thompson
The protagonist is 17 and very confused about life. He is unsure of his status at school and home. He does not know what he wants from life or what he should add to life. He is dealing with anger issues. His Aunt Ginny suggests he should write about his feelings - this helps him track his anger problems. A trip to see his Aunt in the country helps him sort out his life. Good coming-of-age story.
Tenara
Jun 18, 2008 Tenara rated it liked it
This was a cute, quirky book. It didn't have such a hugely gripping plot, and it was only 182 pages, so it was an easy read all together. I would recommend it to people who don't particularly enjoy reading, or to someone who's looking for something quick and simple to read to pass the time.
Molly
Aug 18, 2008 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Max, disaffected teen, struggles to get 'back on his game'. He's felt off; not funny, not right, and he's not sure how to get back on track. This is a comical, less intense, story about finding oneself, and growing up.
Holly
Mar 08, 2010 Holly rated it liked it
This book introduces you to charming protagonist with a low-key quirky, realistic voice, but doesn't do much else. It's more of a light-weight character study than a plot-driven narrative, which manages to work because of the book's short length.
Jill Pickle
Nov 06, 2014 Jill Pickle rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This is the story of Max Whooten, an ennui-filled sixteen-year-old with a long, open summer calendar ahead of him. I loved this story. Craving a quick read populated with unextraordinary characters who make you feel good because you can recognize yourself in them? Read this book now.
Mekail Shah
Dec 19, 2009 Mekail Shah rated it it was amazing
Greatest book i have read this whole year. This book should be read by teenagers, because they will be able to relate to it by alto and most males might just feel the same.
Amanda
Nov 04, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because you could really relate to the main character Max. The way he describes things in the book is very different and interesting.
Tamarkus Baker
Oct 02, 2009 Tamarkus Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-cerdit
this is a awsome book for people who are creative and in a weird way for people who talk to themselves!!!! HA HA HA!
Apr 16, 2008 Laura rated it did not like it
this was a really lame book. I was expecting a much better storyline than what was provided. Nothing happened in the whole thing!
Chris
Aug 03, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok
This books was so slight that I read it a few months ago and can't remember what it was about, except for a bunch of dithering and navel gazing.
Quinn
Aug 11, 2013 Quinn rated it liked it
this was a cute read. typical teenage internal drama. i liked having it written in a journal entry form.
Ayah
Sep 13, 2016 Ayah rated it did not like it
Read the proof copy. This is a common book; there are deeper versions of this narrative in the YA market. "Playing with Matches" is a pretty good one.
Heather
Sep 19, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The journal of a teenage boy. There is a little love story in there and bit annoyance of family, like any teenager. Pretty good book, a little slow throughout the whole story.
Meredith
Dec 18, 2008 Meredith rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Would be good for a reluctant reader - quick, amusing (not laugh-loudly, just a snigger here and there), realistic.
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Mara
Mara rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
“For me, writing books for a living is a grand privilege. I often feel as if I've won some sort of prize.”

Sid grew up in a family of seven in the small town of Bowling Green, Virginia. Sid says that when he was young he “had more energy than brains.” And further states that he “[wishes] it was still that way.”

Sid discovered his passion for novels in his teenage years and decided right then and the
More about Sid Hite...