Start by marking “I'm Exploding Now” as Want to Read:
I'm Exploding Now

I'm Exploding Now

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  24 reviews
It promises to be a less-than-thrilling summer for 16-year-old Manhattanite Max Whooten. He doesn't have a job. His parents are annoying. His younger sister is even more annoying. His buddy Trevor just got out of a mental institution and the hottest girl he knows is Leila, his best friend, who he'll never get with. All he's got to keep him company is his own anger. An ange ...more
Published September 25th 2007 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about I'm Exploding Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Exploding Now

Love, Stargirl by Jerry SpinelliGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksThe Princess Diaries by Meg CabotDon't Peek by Marita A. HansenThe Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty
YA Diary Novels
67th out of 82 books — 98 voters
Looking for Alaska by John GreenPaper Towns by John GreenWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John GreenThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Reading Rants! Boy Meets Book
90th out of 110 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles Lai
The book that i read was I'm Exploding Now by Side Hite. The main character of this story is Max who lives in New York with his family. Max think is parents are annoying and that his sister is worse. Max is like any ordinary urban teen. His friends are Leila and Trevor. Leila is basically Max's best friends and he really likes her. Trevor was in a mental institution for a while and they haven't hung out or talked in a while. Max has many troubles during the story like he tries to get girl or be ...more
Meaghan
Nov 28, 2007 Meaghan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adrian Mole lovers
Although this sounded like an ordinary teenager’s diary, and I can see all the events happening to somebody in real life, this book was a disappointment. It was not nearly as funny as the dust jacket blurb suggested it would be. In fact, it was kind of boring. I spent the whole book wondering whether anything was actually going to happen.
Stevecrandell
One of my favorite YA books of the year, but I never would have guessed it at first, even with the flying cat on the cover. The first few dozen pages read like a bunch of similarly goofy/bitter sketches, in two and three page chapter slices. 16-year-old Max doesn’t give himself much time to think as he jots down his New York City summer journal entries and copes with anger management issues.

His thoughts don’t initially extend beyond his boredom, his cynicism, and of course girls. Here’s how he
Kevyn
May 25, 2009 Kevyn added it
Shelves: advisory
I'm exploding now is a bizzare book. Max Whooten, a typical 16 year old living in Manhattan, is about to be let out for summer vacation. Like many students, he doesn't know what do do but wants to make an attempt to not die or boredom. In I'm Exploding Now, we follow Max throughout his summer. Overall i think this book is somewhat boring, just like Max Whootens life. I would say the climax was when he took a trip to see his aunt in an upstate town called Woodstock. In Woodstock, all he does is s ...more
Sarai
The copy I read has a blue cover with a flying cat and The Thinker statue and some legs in fishnet stockings. It's a better cover and what got me interested to read the book. :)

Anyway, I liked this one. It was really a story about nothing, written as journal entries, just random thoughts from 16-year old Max. He has some good days, he has some bad days. It is written with humor and had me smiling through most of it just in his point of view. Fast read, too.

Product Description
It promises to be a
Preston B
I thought the book I’m Exploding Now by Sid Hite is a fiction book. I thought this was a great book about Max Whooten. The story takes place were Max lives in an interesting life in the city of New York during summer. He lives in an apartment with his sister, mother, and, father plus his cat named Mozart.
Max is having a bad summer because he is off his game. His best friend Leila likes to go outside and go people watching. They have grown up together all there life.
Max summer doesn’t start ou
Alyssa
This book explains what it is like to be a kid! The perspective of this book makes me feel like I'm the one living the story.This book shows how stressful and hard life can be as a teenager. Being as soon-to-be teen,I can relate to the narrator of the book.I especially enjoy that the book is written as if it was a teenage boys diary,filled with every-day things.It makes the book unique in many ways
Jill Pickle
This is the story of Max Whooten, an ennui-filled sixteen-year-old with a long, open summer calendar ahead of him. I loved this story. Craving a quick read populated with unextraordinary characters who make you feel good because you can recognize yourself in them? Read this book now.
ChRiS lY
Max is 16, lives in New York, and annoyed by his family. He doesn't like his pet cat named Crappy. Max has anger issues and his aunt reccomended that he write out the problems he is having. It turns out that writing helps him express his anger and calms him down, he writes in a journal that his aunt sends him. When spring break comes he is sent out to his aunt's place for vacation. When his little sister goes to camp and his parents get the week to themselves.
Max ends up meeting this girl as h
Rawan
I like this book because this book inspires me a lot in our attitude and thinkings
Ayah
Read the proof copy. This is a common book; there are deeper versions of this narrative in the YA market. "Playing with Matches" is a pretty good one.
Josestevan Villalobos
this book was helarious this boys life is to boring he talkes about living in abox its funny how he gets a lot of girl and the wons he likes dont like him back and come back to his life having boyfreinds. this book gives a major concept of life live it now not later this kid wasent really funny the stuff that happend to him were
Tenara
This was a cute, quirky book. It didn't have such a hugely gripping plot, and it was only 182 pages, so it was an easy read all together. I would recommend it to people who don't particularly enjoy reading, or to someone who's looking for something quick and simple to read to pass the time.
Holly
This book introduces you to charming protagonist with a low-key quirky, realistic voice, but doesn't do much else. It's more of a light-weight character study than a plot-driven narrative, which manages to work because of the book's short length.
Molly
Aug 18, 2008 Molly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Max, disaffected teen, struggles to get 'back on his game'. He's felt off; not funny, not right, and he's not sure how to get back on track. This is a comical, less intense, story about finding oneself, and growing up.
Mekail Shah
Greatest book i have read this whole year. This book should be read by teenagers, because they will be able to relate to it by alto and most males might just feel the same.
Heather
The journal of a teenage boy. There is a little love story in there and bit annoyance of family, like any teenager. Pretty good book, a little slow throughout the whole story.
Chris
This books was so slight that I read it a few months ago and can't remember what it was about, except for a bunch of dithering and navel gazing.
this was a really lame book. I was expecting a much better storyline than what was provided. Nothing happened in the whole thing!
Tamarkus Baker
this is a awsome book for people who are creative and in a weird way for people who talk to themselves!!!! HA HA HA!
Meredith
Dec 18, 2008 Meredith rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Would be good for a reluctant reader - quick, amusing (not laugh-loudly, just a snigger here and there), realistic.
Quinn
this was a cute read. typical teenage internal drama. i liked having it written in a journal entry form.
Starblazr00
Sometimes what you're looking for is either closer of farther than where you expect it to be.
Kathie
Clever and heartwarming.
Ana Lelis
Ana Lelis marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Faith Moore
Faith Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
“For me, writing books for a living is a grand privilege. I often feel as if I've won some sort of prize.”

Sid grew up in a family of seven in the small town of Bowling Green, Virginia. Sid says that when he was young he “had more energy than brains.” And further states that he “[wishes] it was still that way.”

Sid discovered his passion for novels in his teenage years and decided right then and the
More about Sid Hite...
A Hole In The World The Journal of Rufus Rowe, A Witness to the Battle of Fredericksburg (My Name Is America) The King Of Slippery Falls Stick and Whittle (pb) Answer my Prayer