Start by marking “Shepherds After My Own Heart: Pastoral Traditions and Leadership in the Bible” as Want to Read:
Shepherds After My Own Heart: Pastoral Traditions and Leadership in the Bible

Shepherds After My Own Heart: Pastoral Traditions and Leadership in the Bible (New Studies in Biblical Theology #20)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Scripture says, "I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will lead you with knowledge and understanding" (Jeremiah 3:15). Most of Israel's pastoral imagery is grounded in two traditions: Moses as God's under-shepherd and David as shepherd-king. These traditions, explains author Timothy S. Laniak, provided prototypes for leaders that followed, and formed the backg ...more
Published May 18th 2006 by InterVarsity Press (first published March 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shepherds After My Own Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shepherds After My Own Heart

Peter N.
Oct 09, 2012 Peter N. rated it really liked it
Shepherds after My own Heart is a wonderful, rich overview of the shepherding tradition in the Scriptures. The author begins by discussing the nature of metaphors and how they work. He then looks at what shepherding was like in the ancient world and how leaders, both human and divine, were described in shepherd language. The rest of the book is spent looking at the shepherding motif in various books of the Bible. He looks at the Pentateuch and David in a broad way. He then looks in depth at Isai ...more
BJ
Apr 30, 2008 BJ rated it really liked it
Wonderful book. God as Shepherd and God's men as under-shepherds are traced throughout biblical history in this great work on pastoral leadership. Shepherd in most cases in current Christian culture seems very maternal, touch-feeling, etc. Now there is no doubt that God as a Shepherd carrying and providing for his sheep is very clear, but what this book does so well at is showing the fullness of shepherding. It is carrying, guiding, protecting, feeding and its enduring the elements, dealing with ...more
Stuart Turton
Apr 06, 2016 Stuart Turton rated it liked it
Some chapters more compelling than others, but the whole book is well worth the time. It is a helpful resource in reining in the sub-biblical models of leadership that are so prevalent today.
Cameron Barham
Jan 07, 2016 Cameron Barham rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Solid and thorough exegetical work on the shepherd image. Weak on the application (as in there was very little).
Bryan McWhite
Jul 27, 2011 Bryan McWhite rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book and strongly recommended reading for pastors and elders, who ought to be well-acquainted with Scripture’s portrayal of the shepherd-leader. Everyone else can probably skip it, but should buy it for their pastor and ask him to read it! See a fuller review at http://twog.wordpress.com/2008/03/29/...
Daniel Alvers
Jul 27, 2011 Daniel Alvers rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and can see how it is not for everyone. For pastors its awesome but otherwise you may be bogged down. It was good for me to take note of the Bible's saturation of shepherd language. In fact it is something that I will not take casually after reading this work. Very well done.
Bauer Evans
Jul 24, 2013 Bauer Evans rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pastors, Seminary Students
Recommended to Bauer by: CJ Mahaney
Exceptional treatment of this most comprehensive imagery of our Lord's character, care, compassion as shepherd. Laniak's sensitivity to ANE nuances in shepherding, as well as biblical, theological usages, was enthralling. I will re-read his chapters on John's gospel & 1st Peter again and again.
Jimmy White
Jan 13, 2014 Jimmy White rated it it was amazing
Great look at God as our Chief Shepherd and people as His under-shepherds. Good biblical theology on the role of a pastor!
Trevor Binkley
Aug 10, 2013 Trevor Binkley rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Shepherd imagery is incredible and this book unfolds the many uses in a Christ centered way. The rich tie-ins from shepherd language in the OT to the Good Shepherd who is also the Lamb who was slain is a phenomenal study. Highly Recommend.
Danny
Oct 17, 2010 Danny rated it it was amazing
Fantastic work tracing the biblical-theological theme of shepherding and leadership throughout the Bible. There is much here to be gleaned for pastors and those studying to be pastors.
Jeffrey Kahl
Jeffrey Kahl rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Matt Henslee
Matt Henslee rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Beth Joseph
Beth Joseph rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Mike Hyatt
Mike Hyatt rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Bob Pazehoski, Jr
Bob Pazehoski, Jr rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Paul Barker
Paul Barker rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Moses Lee
Moses Lee rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Kayvan
Kayvan is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
Troy Pancake
Troy Pancake rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
Peter Goodrich
Peter Goodrich marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Jeanne Higgins
Jeanne Higgins rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Peter Migner
Peter Migner marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Bryan Bice
Bryan Bice marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Andrew
Andrew added it
Jan 23, 2016
Ron
Ron added it
Feb 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

New Studies in Biblical Theology (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Possessed by God: A New Testament Theology of Sanctification and Holiness
  • God's Unfaithful Wife: A Biblical Theology of Spiritual Adultery
  • Jesus and the Logic of History
  • Hear, My Son: Teaching & Learning in Proverbs 1-9
  • Original Sin: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible
  • Now Choose Life: Theology and Ethics in Deuteronomy
  • Neither Poverty Nor Riches: Illuminating the Riddle
  • Slave of Christ: A New Testament Metaphor for Total Devotion to Christ (New Studies in Biblical Theology)
  • Christ, Our Righteousness: Paul's Theology of Justification
  • Five Festal Garments: Christian Reflections on the Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes and Esther