Mary Poppins in the Park

Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins #4)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  2,878 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Who else but Mary Poppins can lead the Banks children on such extraordinary adventures? Together they all meet the Goosegirl and the Swineherd, argue with talking cats on a distant planet, make the acquaintance of the folks who live under dandelions, and celebrate a birthday by dancing with their own shadows. And that’s just for starters!
Published September 15th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1952)

Ivonne Rovira
P.L. Travers warns up front that this volume is not the fourth in the series in the sense of being the further adventures of the magical nanny Mary Poppins. Rather, these are adventures that date mostly from the time of Mary Poppins Comes Back and Mary Poppins Opens the Door. As Travers says, “She [Mary Poppins] cannot forever arrive and depart.”

Some of the characters from the previous books reappear — Fred Smith, the imperious Park Keeper; Admiral Boom, the Bird Woman of St. Paul’s Cathedral, t...more
booklady
I know what you’re thinking...just another children’s book, can’t be worth reading, so why bother about the review? Wonder why she keeps reading and writing these reviews?

That’s the trouble with children’s literature. We look down on it...just like we do children. It’s one of the last acceptable prejudices. Well come on, after all they are just children, really now...they don’t know very much; can’t understand what's important, so what they read isn’t worthwhile either, is it?

When I first start...more
Janene
This book in the series is even less of a timeline, less of a glimpse at the Banks family, and more of a six short story collection of unique adventures in the park with Mary Poppins. These could have been inserted anywhere in the previous three books.

Mary Poppins, so tart and snooty, so full of her own perfection, and so likeable at the same time. I really enjoyed this one, the imaginative elements are so rich and childlike.

Jane creates a small park of homes and people made of grass, twigs, and...more
Cielo
This book was kind of different from the others, at first I was confused because the beggining didn't match the ending of the third book, but then I realized that they where all completely separate stories that where meant to take place sometime between the past three books. I felt that many of them where more fables than anything else, with their own little moral at the end. But not all of them. My favorite was the one about the shadows in the park and Mary poppin's birthday.
Katie Ann Huy
Such a good classic book!
Drew Graham
*sigh* Well, the taxing journey is over. This fourth novel in the P.L. Travers series is basically another volume of random, unconnected adventures of Jane and Michael Banks and their nasty, unpleasant (but *magical*!) nanny, Mary Poppins. Apparently, this book is not a continuation of the story, but a collection of six new stories that could be placed anywhere throughout the timelines of the first three books. That basically means that Mary Poppins doesn't appear at the beginning and leave agai...more
aaron
this is the fourth book in the mary poppins series but as the intro states it does not necessarily take place after the third book. this is a collection of stories that happen to michael and jane banks in the park across the street from their house. they are meant to be taken as extra stories that happened during mary poppins previous three visits. this is more of the same mystical, narcissistic fun that happened in the first three books. if you like them, you'll like this.
Cleo
Mary Poppins In the Park is not actually about the fourth visit of Mary Poppins (because there wasn't one), but rather a collection of stories that happened during her first three visits. I enjoyed this one, though perhaps not as much as the first too. It was just as good as Mary Poppins Opens the Door though, and some of the stories were more meaningful and deep than from the previous three volumes. For example, the first story Every Goose a Swan, about who people really are, rather than their...more
Wileyacez
So, the final book--at least of the ones I bought for the kids back in the day. This one was perhaps my favorite. It had nothing to do with the Disney version, and it's tone was more of a woman looking back--trying to remember her childhood. Instead of a book, per se, this one is a compilation of stories unrelated to any ongoing plot. Over and over again, it seems to speak to someone trying to remember what it was to be young. This speaks to me as a more mature person; the memory of youth is som...more
Joanne
The movie not being one i liked particularilly I was reluctant to read the series of Mary Poppins, but they were a great deal more enjoyable. With the nanny herself being a lot more realistic than portrayed in the film. The children embark on a series of adventures that more often than not don't actually include the formiddable Mary Poppins. The magical trips are short and sweet with a simple message or lesson in them...even some of the clichéd ones, such as " be careful what you wish for", not...more
Teri Reck
Again delightful, whimsical and free. This one departed a bit from the usual set up for her books which made it a bit more enjoyable.
Not quite as awful as the others but I still can't bring myself to give it three stars.
Caren
Although there are some fun parts, I mostly found this one weird.
Mackenzi
Mary Poppins is the queen of sass and I really just love her.
Lisa
The final of the Mary Poppins books, and in this one, instead of following an entire visit from Mary Poppins to the Banks family, it is a collection of different experiences the children had with her from any of the time she spent with them. From Halloween parties at the park held by everyone's escaped shadows, to Jane and Michael's favorite storybook characters coming out of the book for a visit, it is full of the unique Mary Poppins' charm. I read this with my daughter, and we both really enjo...more
Ann-Kristine
Great Mary Poppins book.
Susan
Can't help it - I can't stop reading them. The later books don't have the narrative arc of the first three, they're just collections, but the stories are all good.
Katri
A collection of stories of Mary Poppins and the Banks children in the park, not tied to any specific part of the timeline of the other books. I felt a little unevenly about the stories, loving some of them to bits (like the one where the storybook boys came to life) and being less thrilled about some of the others, but overall it was very enjoyable, though not one of my favourites among the books.
Ryan
These were (according to the book) adventures of Mary Poppins during one of her previous stays with the Banks' - not a new visit. The adventures were certainly more involved and appeared to encourage adults not to lose touch with having fun. I'm not sure my shadow wouldn't run off, given the chance.
Paul
I think I loved this one the best - the stories were longer and more complex than the earlier ones. And as I finished it, we went and saw Saving Mr. Banks. Now, it's time to read the Mary Poppins books that she wrote that I had never read before.
Sherry
Not quite a charming as the first and third books, but better than the second. The last pages wrap up the series quickly but leave the reader satisfied that the kids will have happy childhood memories forever, regardless of the fact Mary will soon leave them.
Aileen
Didn't like this as well as the other 3, but it was still worth picking up. The version I got from the library is so old and damaged. I doubt anyone has checked it out for many many years! I'm happy just for that reason that I borrowed it.
David Griffith
This was my favorite book when I was six years old. The most endearing chapter was and is "Every Goose a Swan." I was always struck by the fact that Mary Poppins reveals that the only other person she'd want to be is herself.
Beka
I adore the Mary Poppins series. She is so different from how Disney portrayed her (though the scenes are similar), but yet so lovable. She is believable, yet magical, and I can't get enough of her books.
Natalie
If you love the magical side of Mary Poppins, you will love this one! Not much of the movie here and I was glad. New characters and fun new situations that were wonderful, charming - my favorite so far!
Eve ❤❤
Definitely not what I expected of this book in the Mary Poppins saga. It was okay, but some of it didn't really make sense. It still deserves a 4-star or even a 5-star rating.
Daniel
Mary Poppins has returned, but not in the usual way! These 6 srories can be placed anywhere along the timelines of the past three books. An enjoyanble read!
Diana Eberhardt
The real Mary Poppins is enchanting and fascinating, taking her charges on fabulous adventures, not singing and smiling sweetly with cartoons and silly people!
Calle Brookes
Wasn't as fond of the book as I was the classic movie. :(

Found the character of MP to be too rude, really, to be read aloud to the three year old.
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • The Witch Family
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • Ida sierpniowa (Jeżycjada, #4)
  • Miss Happiness and Miss Flower
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Katie John
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
Pamela Lyndon Travers was an Australian novelist, actress and journalist, popularly remembered for her series of children's novels about mystical nanny Mary Poppins.
She was born to bank manager Travers Robert Goff and Margaret Agnes. Her father died when she was seven, and although "epileptic seizure delirium" was given as the cause of death, Travers herself "always believed the underlying cause w...more
More about P.L. Travers...
Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1) Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2) Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3) Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins, #5) Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (Mary Poppins, #6)

“She sounds like you, Mary Poppins,' said Michael. 'So terribly pleased with herself!” 0 likes