Start by marking “Bleeding Out (OSI, #5)” as Want to Read:
Bleeding Out (OSI, #5)

Bleeding Out (OSI #5)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
From the author ofInfernal Affairs comes a story of murder. mayhem, and demon relations. Is this really the vacation Tess was looking for?
Though she’s on leave from the Occult Special Investigations squad, Tess Corday is still grappling with her own personal mysteries. But finding out the truth about her demonic heritage has been more difficult than she expected. Plus, her
Published May 29th 2012 by Ace (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bleeding Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bleeding Out

Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
299th out of 624 books — 1,803 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHonesty in World War 2 by Chris-Jean ClarkeNeverwhere by Neil GaimanStorm Front by Jim ButcherKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
Best Crossover Books
141st out of 147 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Mara
Jun 29, 2012 Mara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Did I like this book? No. Did I like this series? Yes.

I don't regret reading OSI, even if the first book was too much a technical manual and the last a warped copy of a stream of consciousness novel.

This book had a beginning and an ending. All that was the middle was a confused mess inside Tess' mind. There was no way to distinguish reality from madness and honestly I could not bear to read it. I forced myself into it, but my mood went ballistic. This is not a reaction I appreciate. I really do
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://smexybooks.com/2012/06/review-...

Occult Special Investigator Tess Corday has taken a leave of absence from OSI. An absence only granted if she continues to see the company shrink. Tess has had a rough ride the last few books. She has learned about her father, sister, and the secrets her mother has been keeping from her. She feels her family is starting to drift apart and wants to make sure they know she will always be there for them if and when they leave. When an imp
Cyn Armistead
Woof, I made it. I wasn't sure that I would, as this novel started out normally and devolved into a stream-of-consciousness mess. I was seriously motivated to keep going, though, because I read the rest of the series and this is the last book in it.

So I pushed on through, got to a bit of light in the tunnel, and then there was more muck. Really, Mr. Battis - this is a popular work! Or did you just feel like, "Hey, this is the end of my contract, I can do whatever I want..." That's the feeling I
Renee
Jul 04, 2012 Renee rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012
I ended up skipping chunks of this book because it was just so awful. There wasn't much plot and at times the author just went off into these long stream of consciousness ramblings.
Michelle
May 24, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Bleeding Out is the fifth book in the OSI series by Jes Battis and an ACE Urban Fantasy.

Blurb:

Though she’s on leave from the Occult Special Investigations squad, Tess Corday is still grappling with her own personal mysteries. But finding out the truth about her demonic heritage has been more difficult than she expected - especially since her mother isn’t talking.

Plus, Tess’s unauthorized investigation into an addictive new street drug that’s irresistible to vampires is driving a stake between he
Kris
Dec 04, 2012 Kris rated it liked it
Overall I really enjoyed this series (hence the four stars for each of the previous books) but this one had too much stream of consciousness from Tess going on...and on and on...for pages at a time. I grew confused and bored during these ramblings and I didn't think it added a whole lot to the story. Ok, she's questioning her place in the world and her job and her relationships...but I didn't care of the wordvomitonyourlivejournalat3am feel to several parts of this book.
There wasn't a whole lot
Alice Liu
Aug 21, 2013 Alice Liu rated it it was amazing
This was not the book that I thought it would be. Bleeding Out begins with a murder, but the mystery is really centered around Tess. Who is Tess Corday outside of what she does for CORE and who she is in relation to the people she loves? As she ruminates on how all the people she loves will be moving on to start their own lives, this question comes to the forefront because she cannot make anymore decisions until she knows who she is. When a piece of forgotten information is extracted from her mi ...more
Kaje Harper
Dec 03, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
This book was an odd mix, and for me some parts were 5-star, some were barely 3, and the combination was fascinating but not quite workable... the rating is a compromise.

The things I liked best about this series were still there although only in parts of this book. Tess Corday is a more-than-half demon but still very human magic-wielder with a self-made family consisting of her telepathic gay best friend, his deaf boyfriend, her adopted/fostered two teenage vampires, and a dead necromancer boyfr
B.E.
Aug 21, 2012 B.E. rated it it was amazing
This last book in the OSI series was a beautifully written novel, and in the end, provided everything I've come to expect from Mr. Battis. My only issue - and one over which I debated even stealing a star - was that in the middle, it was almost as if the author fell in love with the beauty of his own words and lost track of the storyline. Perhaps that isn't even worth a whole star, or if it is, a different star should be added for the way Jes used the language to create such beauty. I even under ...more
Sandra
Jun 23, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Wow, I absolutely love this series. I blissed out on it and read all 5 in succession. Jes Battis is an English PhD who specializes in teen LGBT literature. It shows, in the best way possible. I think it satisfies all my paranormal series loves: strong female heroine, love stories that are tangential but interesting, characters who aren't ridiculous stereotypes, vampires, demons, magic-wielders and necromancers. It also has characters of color and LGBT chars front and center. I am an unabashed fa ...more
Carole
Nov 07, 2013 Carole rated it it was amazing
SPOILER ALERT

I am SOOOOOO mad!!! The first thing I read were the acknowledgments and it said (to paraphrase) "the hardest thing to do is to close out a series." WHAT?? You mean this is it? I don't get any more after this one?? That is just mean. How am I supposed to start a novel knowing that after 4 other books, getting to know and love (mostly) these characters (I can't exactly call all of them people now, can I?) I have fewer than 300 pages to say goodbye? Not fair, Jes!

That saidranted, I did
Holly Daugherty
Jun 19, 2016 Holly Daugherty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice continuation of the series!

I really enjoyed this book, we see Tess making decisions about what happens next and tying up all the loose ends. There was not as much conflict in this book, more reflection about how everyone goes forward.
Lori
Oct 13, 2012 Lori rated it liked it
What a hot mess, and a disappointing end to a series I really enjoyed. Definitely picked up in the last quarter of the book... but wow, far too much rambling and meandering on Tess' part. I get that there's supposed to be character development - but IMHO far too much of this one (if it really and truly is the end of this series, I still am sorry to see it go) was Tess "soul-searching." I don't know what else to call it. Rambling dreams? Labyrinthine visions? The internal soliloquy definitely ran ...more
tornado5528
Aug 09, 2014 tornado5528 rated it did not like it
Poor way to finish a halfway decent series - writing style in particular seemed to be a case of, "plod along, get facts out, finish story." Disappointing in light of how well the previous books were written.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
Jul 05, 2012 Robert 'Rev. Bob' rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012, storage
I knew something weird was going on when, unlike the other four books in the series, this one was written in the present tense.

There's some vague semblance of a plot, and some loose ends do get tied up, but most of this book just winds up being a bad trip. I mean that; most of the book reads like the narrator is on psychoactive drugs.

I suppose this is something of a necessary read if you've read the other books, but all things considered, I wish I'd skipped this series altogether.
Anika
Jun 20, 2012 Anika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was not the best story of the series written but I guess all series come to an end. Tess gets to talk with her father and learn more about herself and bf Lucian. The story line for the plot or mystery was not as exciting/giving clues and allowing you to follow. It was a lot of interlog or discussion/thoughts that Tess felt the need to express which for me was kinda confusing/did not make sense. I would still recommend the series overall it was good.
Krissys
Nov 13, 2014 Krissys rated it liked it
Shelves: featured-books, star
Was a decent book worth the read, I had very mixed feelings about the story and the character development. It wasn't a bad read, I was going to give the book two stars but I gave it three because I think I should go back and read the first books to get an overall impression of the series as a whole and make an impression from that. Bleeding out had its moments and a good plot hook despite the fact the story itself really isn't about the plot at all haha.
Valerie
Jun 01, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it
Good book seemed kinda final I hope this is not the last book of this series. Overall these books have been very entertaining. I enjoy that while it is a sci-fi book the rules of this world are different then many of the other books I have read. I am looking forward to seeing how Tess and Lucian's story plays out.There are so many intriguing characters that have great depth and secrets to them. You never really know how the story is going to end.
Dr susan
Feb 12, 2014 Dr susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, read-again
I remember being very unhappy that the OSI series ended. I love Tess and her very diversified, extended family.
Bleeding Out is true to its title. Tess is the narrator, and much of the book deals with Tess's fears. The prose is beautiful, but often abstract, and the tone of much of Bleeding Out is very different than the four previous books. That does not make Bleeding Out a bad book, just different.
Colette
Jun 10, 2012 Colette rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book, I enjoyed this series, but this last book was strange. It had a trippy, disjointed quality that was different from the rest o the series. I didn't feel as connected to the charactors as in the past, it was hard to follow where the story was heading or how it was all going to end. Still I am sorry that this is the last book, I hope he author has a new story to tell.
Tina
The final book in the series, I think it ended on just the right note. The ends were tied up, but not too neatly, leaving room for the reader's imagination to fill in any blanks. There was a lot of Tess's disjointed stream-of-consciousness and soul searching in the middle of the book which I found rather confusing, but overall I enjoyed the story. I look forward to the next offering from Jes Battis.
Chris
Jun 02, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Smart, reality bending, great characters and dialog. Sometimes very funny. I will read this author constantly in the future. If you like magic, fantasy and a world behind our own... where NCIS and complete multi-verse fantasy are mashed up... then this is a great book for you.
Prince Inari
Jul 03, 2013 Prince Inari rated it it was amazing
As sad as the end of this amazing series is, knowing I will have no new OSI cases to read about, I am honestly amazed by how truly spellbinding this book was. An amazing end cap to a great series.
Robin Hall
Jun 01, 2012 Robin Hall rated it it was ok
I really liked this series but this book went out on tangents that just took away from the story. I didn't feel the connection with the characters that I got out of the other books.
Jacqueline
Jun 01, 2012 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Awww, I didn't realise that this was the last book till I read the acknowledgements page. I'm sad that it's the end of the series but I really enjoyed this last part of the story!
Bookwyrm Jim
Jun 01, 2013 Bookwyrm Jim rated it it was ok
Author showed a love for the English language not matched by a love of story. "Clever" and "pretty" phrasings kept drawing attention to themselves and knocking me out of the book.
Karen Desmond
Sep 05, 2012 Karen Desmond rated it it was ok
There were quite large passages of this book that I skipped which is a shame because, up until now, I've really enjoyed this series.
VaughanPL
Click here to find it in the catalogue
Jean
May 30, 2012 Jean rated it liked it

The book was just a bit too disjointed and hard to follow some times. It was a good wrap up to the series.
Devaeriel
Jun 03, 2012 Devaeriel rated it liked it
While I loved the series and the story line it felt unfinished. A tad rushed
  • Love on the Run (Nola O'Grady, #4)
  • Dead Letter Day (Messenger, #3)
  • Dragon's Teeth
  • Dying Echo (Grim Reaper Mystery, #4)
  • Shades of Gray (Jude Magdalyn, #1)
  • A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3)
  • Korval's Game (Liaden Universe #11,13)
  • Shadowbound (Shadow World, #5)
  • Night Mares in the Hamptons (Willow Tate, #2)
  • To Catch A Vampire (F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #2)
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2012
  • Lies & Omens (Shadows Inquiries, #4)
  • Heart of Briar (The Portals #1)
  • How to be Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #4)
  • Five Odd Honors (Breaking the Wall, #3)
  • Queen's Hunt (River of Souls, #2)
  • Virtual Virgin
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
Jes Battis was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1979. In addition to writing fiction, he has also published academic books and a variety of scholarly articles in the areas of fantasy, television, and queer studies.

He earned his PhD in English from Simon Fraser University in the Summer of 2007. He teaches in the Department of English at the University of Regina.

He also writes as Bailey Cunn
More about Jes Battis...

OSI (5 books)
  • Night Child (OSI, #1)
  • A Flash of Hex (OSI, #2)
  • Inhuman Resources (OSI, #3)
  • Infernal Affairs (OSI #4)

“To live at all is to share a world with cagey magic, skeptical magic, asshole magic. But, honestly, the trees must belong to something; the blossoms that tongue each groove between buildings, the water and the stone and the serious man-made steel railings all must belong. This major artery where blood and starlight pump along the tracks, where banks and malls and office towers shudder and gestate in the concrete like baobab trees.” 1 likes
“He’s like a flower doing its best on an asteroid, naked to so many cosmic terrors.” 1 likes