Start by marking “The Myth of Mr. Mom” as Want to Read:
The Myth of Mr. Mom

The Myth of Mr. Mom

The Myth of Mr. Mom is a collaborative non-fiction essay anthology written by stay-at-home dads that shares the personal stories of eight men from around the world.

The goal of the book is to help bring awareness to the fact that men are just as capable as women of being the primary caregiver, homemaker, and stay-at-home parent. We feel that there is a societal bias agains
Published December 10th 2011 (first published November 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of Mr. Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of Mr. Mom

Donna Brown
Dec 04, 2011 Donna Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s the typical Ladybird book image: Daddy with a saw and Mummy with an apron and a baking tin and it can often catch people unawares to see anything other than this, even though the family dynamic is a constantly changing thing.

I had firsthand experience of this recently. My husband is much better at housework than I am but I’m (affectionately) known as “DIY Donna”. So when David left to go to work recently and the door was sticking, I grabbed my rasp and file and set about fixing the problem.
Aimeekay
Dec 23, 2011 Aimeekay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

Being a stay-at-home parent hasn't always been looked down upon. However as more women willing choose to join the work force and a career path that involved brief cases and meetings instead of binkies and nap times;stay-at-home parents began to get bad rap. For women who chose to stay-at-home, they were looked at as being soft, since they stayed home all day, or even worse as naive, since they let their "man" do all the work and make all the decisions. For men who chose to stay at home, the reac
Tracy Riva
Dec 31, 2011 Tracy Riva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Myth of Mr. Mom was a very enlightening read for me. It made me realize many men are the primary caregivers in their families, but we as a society stigmatize them, as though there were something wrong with men who choose to be stay at home dads. We never question a woman who states her occupation is “a wife and mother”, but we tend to wonder why the guy who says his occupation is “a husband and father” can't find a job. There is something essentially wrong in a society that declares itself t ...more
Miranda Lynn
Dec 03, 2011 Miranda Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yup the stay at home dad. I always thought I had a pretty good outlook on stay at home dads and actually know a few (dad's of kids who are in my kids class at school) I applaud any man who decides to take on this role, but after reading this I only wish more men would stand up and proudly shout to the world, "I am a stay at home dad and I am proud of it"

I loved this anthology, but have to say that I "connected" best with the second chapter, an essay from Christian Jensen. From the get go he coul
Jen
Nov 25, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
I actually found it kind of interesting that some of what these men went through and worried about before becoming primary caregiver echo worries that I myself have. I don't have children yet and I'm always worrying I'll be a terrible, not-nurturing-mother. In fact, that combined with how much of a slob I am, I've always thought that my fiance would be a much better primary caregiver than I could ever be.

It was refreshing to read these (sometimes quite humorous) accounts of men that have made th
Carien
Dec 07, 2011 Carien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book I would normally read, but because I really enjoyed Jeremy Rodden's Toonopolis: Gemini I decided to give this collection of essays a try.

And yet again I was reminded how rewarding it can be to step outside of your reading comfort zone once in a while.

This is a fun and interesting book to read. Being an open minded person myself when it comes to gender roles and such, I never would have thought there were so many prejudices against stay-at-home dads. The humorous way in which t
Glenda Laitinen
Jan 14, 2012 Glenda Laitinen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Myth of Mr. Mom" offers a rare insight into lives of stay-at-home dads. There are 8 short stories that delve into life of these remarkable men - their trials and tribulations. Lots of humour and thought provoking moments as this minority of child care and rearing aspect of society is explored. I won a copy of this book through a GOODREADS drawing, and have shared it with my bookclub, who embraced it with as much enthusiasm and zealas myself! A recommended read.
Johnny
May 13, 2014 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, kindled
Some great, well-written stories... some not-so-great, not so well-written ones. Overall though, the idea expressed in the preface, that myths about the stay-at-home dad are widely held/believed in societies world-wide and are inherently sexist, insulting, and wrong, is a beautiful and accurate one. A must (quick) read for every stay-at-home dad (and everyone wondering what myths I'm talking about).
Sarah Bollt
Jun 20, 2014 Sarah Bollt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-ebook
This was a quick, entertaining read. When I initially came across it, it caught my eye because there was a period in my childhood when we referred to my dad as Mr. Mom.

This collection of essays was a fascinating look at society's view of father as nurturer and homemaker, as it compares with these dads' actual experiences in this role.
Shawn Scarber
Jan 11, 2012 Shawn Scarber rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
As an author in this collection of essays, I won't speak to my own story, but the other stories in this collection are excellent. This is a great read for anyone and really uncovers some of the myths about fathers.
Your Need To Read
Full review here

I agreed to review this because as a stay at home mom, I wanted to see how the male version did it. Yup the stay at home dad. I always thought I had a pretty good outlook on stay at home dads and actually know a few (dad's of kids who are in my kids class at school) I applaud any man who decides to take on this role, but after reading this I only wish more men would stand up and proudly shout to the world, "I am a stay at home dad and I am
Crystal
Jun 12, 2012 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this as a firstreads so I would like to say thank you to Jeremy Rodden for sending me the book.

At first glance this book didn’t scream “read me!” I hate the term Mr. Mom, and naturally I found having it in the title put me off. I had never heard of the movie and I didn’t realize that’s where the term came from. Regardless, I call it being a dad, and if you stay at home to raise the kids then you’re a stay at home dad. But I digress…

This book is great. Don’t be put off by the title, or
Julie Powell
It's always good to see 'the other point of view' and this collection of stories gives valuable insight into how dads cope with dealing with a part of life that most never really see. Although, women have, for the most part, always had to do this, with the additional string of having to 'earn money' too.

Yes, it's always good that fathers take an interest in their children, who can only benefit from the added dimension, but should dads receive any more medals for the 'job' than women? I've often
Kelly
Apr 02, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite this book being about the fairly new social phenomenon of stay-at-home dads, I think it has broad appeal to anyone who's ever had any of the following thoughts:

Am I nurturing enough person to be a good parent?
What logical reason do I have for having a child?
Will my child become an asshole if I send him to daycare?
How much is my career worth to me?

The stories are entertaining, heartwarming, and realistic. I greatly appreciated the viewpoints of real dads dealing with real social pressures
Rebecca
It is true in my eyes that a man can't keep up with everything the way a woman can. In my house I am the chef, nanny, maid, run all the errands, grocery shop, buy gifts for every holiday and event, etc... My husband was unemployed for eight months once and took over while I traveled for work and got mad because I asked him to do the laundry. If he was alone with our son full time he would play video games ll day and wallow in filth. This I know.

There were eight stories in this book but almost ev
Claire
Jun 20, 2012 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

So far Christian jensens chapter was hilarious. He holds nothing back and tells it like it is! His honesty is refreshing and hilarious! They all talk about how being a stay at home dad is not as respected as a stay at home mom, which I believe they are right. I think this should not be the case and I do see more and more active dads that take on this role! I definitely think it will be considered part of the norm sooner rather than later.
Mary
Aug 22, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-book
I thought this was a refreshing book to read, reading all the different essays of "stay-at-home Dad's" All the Dad's, although having issues with how the public sees them, seemed to enjoy the bonding and nurturing they had with their children.
I agree with their feelings on how the public sees them as lazy, unemployed, stay-at-home Dad's...taking care of children full time is a hard job, whether you work at home or not.
I admire all the Dad's out there, who have taken this task on.
JT
Jul 22, 2012 JT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The Myth of Mr. Mom was a great read. I would recommend it to anyone, male or female, as it was a fantastic mix of anecdotes. I read the book because I was interested in the theme of how men feel about being stay-at-home dads. I was, honestly, pleasantly surprised by each story and each author.
Sheryl
May 11, 2012 Sheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The essays range from okay to poorly written, and the editing is atrocious. It was a quick read, but unless you are looking to feel less alone as a stay-at-home dad, it's probably not worth your while.
Autumn Duncan
Autumn Duncan rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Juliet
Juliet rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
George M
George M rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Angela Massengale
Angela Massengale rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Monique
Monique rated it it was ok
May 02, 2012
Susannah
Susannah rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Natasha Larry
Natasha Larry rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2011
Andri van Niekerk
Andri van Niekerk rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2014
I spent the first ten years of my professional life in retail sales, working my way up to store management positions in two different Fortune 500 retailers. Along the way, I managed to earn a BA in Religion and English Writing from La Salle University in Philadelphia, PA and an MA in Secondary Education from Holy Family University, also in Philadelphia.

After completing my Masters, I began teaching
More about Jeremy Rodden...