Start by marking “A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3)

A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  18 reviews
What if I died and came back to life as my own dog?

In Susan Conant's third dog lover's mystery, Dog's Life columnist Holly Winter is writing a story based on that improbable premise when she's interrupted by an urgent summons to rush to the aid of feminist psychotherapist Elaine Walsh, whose wild-acting Alaskan malamute, Kimi, has driven Elaine to take refuge on her kitche
Published April 1st 1991 (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Bite of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bite of Death

Ed
#3 in the Dog Lover's series. The unfortunately named Holly Winter is a Cambridge, MA based magazine writer on subjects canine.

Dog Lover's series - Holly Winter rescues therapist Elaine Walsh from her malamute, Kimi. After Elaine is found dead, Holly adopts Kimi. Holly finds that Elaine died from a drug overdose and that Kimi's former owner, a patient of Elaine's, committed suicide with the same uncommon drug. Holly scours the dog and therapy worlds of Cambridge, MA in search of the truth.
Gloria Mccracken
This is the third or fourth in my favorite mystery-with-dogs series and tells how the protagonist ended up with her second Alaskan malamute, Kimi. Having been published in about the 1980's or so, it is dated, as the author herself acknowledges in a preface to the Kindle edition, in the dog training details. A more serious sign of age is in the premise behind a major plot turn (which I will not divulge since that would be a total spoiler). This is why I have given it 4 stars rather than 5. Howeve ...more
Gail Barrett
I love this series. The mysteries are always clever, the details of life in Cambridge dead-on accurate. I especially love the characters -- the dog obsessed heroine, her wolf-dog breeding father, the cop who lives with his mother, and the hunky veterinarian boyfriend, not to mention the funny assortment of Cambridge residents and other dog training enthusiasts. These books are always entertaining, and this installment in the series doesn't disappoint.
Kathy
The 3rd in the series, and I am quickly learning that I can't stand the main character, Holly Winter. If you are not a dog person, you simply don't exist to her, and if you are a dog person but don't own a Malamute, you are far down on the dog chain. The plots of the books aren't bad, if only the mysteries could be solved without her.
crayolaab
I'd forgotten how fun these books are to read. This book, third in the series, has Holly Winter taking ownership of her second malamute, Kimi, when one of her boyfriend's patients dies. While she's trying to get Kimi under control and introduce her to Rowdy, she is also out to solve the mystery of Kimi's former owner - wait, make that owners. It turns out Kimi has two former owners, both of whom have died under mysterious circumstances.

While I think it's a bit preposterous to think that one wom
Gwyneth
I love dogs, and i love any book where dogs are some of the main people in the book. And i love books with females as the central chacter. And this book has them both.

Holly Winter has her hands full with her malamute Rowdy. But ends up with in even more of a handful malamute Kimi after not one but two of her owners haveing died before Kimi was even a year old. Holly tries to figure out why both who onewners died in the excat same way, and must deal with many a shirink to find out who killed them
Sandra Knapp
The author totally surprised me this time. I never saw it coming, when trying to detect for myself who the culprit was.

This time, a young woman who had been sexually abused as a child, seeking help in counseling, accuses her therapist of stepping over the line, and then suddenly she is found dead. Supposedly a self-induced death. Of course that is not the case, but the path to finding why and who did cause her death was really interesting, and definitely told from a different point of view.
Julia
I liked this one better than the 2nd book in the series, Dead and Doggone. The mystery was more cohesive this time around. I was bothered at the end of the book when Holly accepts some baked goods from the people she suspects are poisoners. Why would she do that? Other than that moment, I enjoyed the book.
Jen
I was pleased when a friend informed me of Conant's dog/detective series. Growing up with a grandmother who devoured every "The Cat Who..." story, which never interested me, I have long wanted dog-themed books of same.

The author does not disappoint. The books are witty, informational, and quick-reads, without being too predictable.
Pat
Two people are poisoned. Holly figures out that a man is really a woman. Dogs may be allergic to chocolate.
Good.
Vicky
A cozy mystery based on Holly Winter… who is a magazine writer who gets involved in mysteries and has her malamutes with her…. always interesting but again light reading.
Virginia
It was a really busy month, which means it's time for.....animal themed murder mysteries! I liked this at the time, but entering these reviews in 2010, I do not remember one iota of any of the plot. Good brainless reading.
Joan
Apr 30, 2008 Joan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joan by: Carol Murray
Shelves: mystery
This woman is not a great writer - her plots are weak and characters undeveloped, but it is fun to learn more about dogs and dog shows. I had never heard of a Rhodesian Ridgeback and now I recognize one in my neighborhood.
Ellen
A bit too cozy for my taste, not an engrossing story despite a good premise: a malamute may be a key witness to the death of a therapist.
Probibliophile
My favorite Conant dog mystery! The plotting is intricate and unexpected and the dogs are wonderful as always.
Janet C.
Jul 22, 2012 Janet C. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: not sure
Recommended to Janet C. by: n/a
It was ok.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Pam Luteran-Isbell
Pam Luteran-Isbell marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Lora Jones
Lora Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Jodielynn
Jodielynn marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Amy ~Lover of Books~
Amy ~Lover of Books~ marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Shar
Shar marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Play Dead (An Allie Babcock Mystery)
(1)mysteries

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...

A Dog Lover's Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6)
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • Stud Rites
  • Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • The Barker Street Regulars (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #11)
A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1) Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2) Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6) Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5) Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)