Start by marking “Hippo Says "Excuse Me"” as Want to Read:
Hippo Says "Excuse Me"

Hippo Says "Excuse Me" (Hello Genius)

Hippo demonstrates his good manners as he makes his way in crowded situations.
Board book, 20 pages
Published February 1st 2012 by Picture Window Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hippo Says "Excuse Me", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hippo Says "Excuse Me"

Aug 18, 2014 Henry rated it it was ok
My son periodically enjoys the book but it's for the wrong reasons. The drawings are cute, but I think the message is a little off. Essentially, the hippo knocks people out of her way, forces herself onto overcrowded elevators, etc. but it's all okay so long as she says "Excuse me" with increasing volume. This delights my son to no end as "Excuse me!" wipes away any rude behavior. I'm all for teaching kids "excuse me" but you I think it needs a better, more instructive context than what this boo ...more
ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
3.5 stars because of the reading format.

I got this book because we are working on our manners with the children, so I thought this book would be fun for them. My 4 year old and 2 year old didn’t connect well with the book because we read it on our laptop using Adobe. The words and pictures were not on the same page. So one page would have the words, and then the next page would have the picture/action. I think it affected the flow of the story and the visual connection.

My husband and I decided
Dec 02, 2011 Habrewer rated it liked it
Shelves: lilly-read
Hippo Says “Excuse Me” by Michael Dahl
* I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Hippo Says “Excuse Me” is a cute book meant to teach children about being polite and nice to everyone. As Hippo and momma leave their home, take the bus and end up in the elevator, Hippo is continually saying Excuse Me. He comes to the rescue of a small chick that wants to join them on the elevator, making room for everyone.

Lilly and I read this book at bedtime last night but I
May 30, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
[This review also appears on Andi's Kids Books on Blogger.]

Author Michael Dahl is a prolific author for children. In his book Hippo Says, "Excuse Me," he attempts to teach children a lesson in using good manners. Little Hippo and his mother are making their way around town. They are very large animals and take up a lot of room. Hippo remembers to say, "Excuse me," as he bounds past everyone. However, he does not stop to wait for the other animals to make room for him and his mother. Illustration
Jan 04, 2012 Tristen rated it really liked it
( A Big thanks to Netgalley ,Author Michael Dahl and Capstone for allowing me a chance to read this book)

Hippo says "Excuse me" by Michael Dahl and illustrated by Oriol Vidal
Publish date: February 01, 2012

Summary from Goodreads: "Hippo uses his manners to help a little chick."

Review: This was quite a cute little book , it follows around a baby hippo and it's mother as they make their way around town. The baby hippo expresses his manners by always remembering to use "Excuse me". I have a 2 year o
Mar 17, 2014 Sylvester rated it it was ok
3* art
2* story

I love this series. Squirt adores them, reads them over and over, knows the words. This is the weaker of the series. It's hard to explain to a kid what "excuse me" (as in please make room for me means.
Sara Thompson
Feb 03, 2012 Sara Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the cutest book. The colors are so bright and cheerful that it made me happy just looking at it. Little Hippo is so darling, I just want to take it home with me.
Hippo and its mama are out about town and because they are so big they have to say “excuse me” often. The other animals are not always so happy about this but wait until Hippo is on the elevator and no one wants to let little chick on.
Because this is an e-galley, I can’t be certain what type of picture book this will be. I hope
May 06, 2016 Wench rated it did not like it
So basically because Hippo is fat, they have to apologize for existing and taking up space? How about no.
Apr 07, 2016 Autumn rated it really liked it
We got this book from our public library.

It is such a cute book, full of colors and an easy read for those learning to read. The only thing I think would have been better to use is the word please in front of excuse me.

My son's favorite part was when the hippo wanted to get on the elevator and he had to say "Excuse Me" three times. Then when the little bird asked if there was room for one more and hippo said "There is always room for one more."

This is a fun book for all ages and teaches them t
Oct 02, 2015 Ckolleen rated it really liked it
Always room for one more. :)
Mrs Mommy Booknerd
Hippo Says "Excuse Me"

Oh my gosh, this book is so adorable! When reading it to my children I actually giggled because the picture was so cute. I laugh, I snicker, but I seldom giggle. This book is a great book to teach manners to children. While reading my son said "What there is no room for a tiny chick, that is not very nice". It created dialogue with my children about the importance of being kind and being a good person. I absolutely loved this book. I have found another series to dive into.

Apr 16, 2012 TamTam rated it really liked it
A cute short story about hippo's day full of "excuse me". I love the first page illustration where mom and hippo are bouncing/walking/hovering in the air. So cute. This book made me happy! The pictures are humorous too with the other animals around getting knock to the side or squished!

And the ending was sweet too. Caring little (big) hippo!

What a lovely book! I think young children will like this one in their personal library and reread it! And hopefully learn to be polite as well!

Margaret Chind
Dec 13, 2011 Margaret Chind rated it liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: NetGalley
Cute. I'm always on the look out for fun ways to introduce manners to my toddler. This book is bright in color and simple in phrases that I'm sure she'll repeat over and over again after a few reads. Reading this book and seeing the squished places that Hippo gets into and needs to get out reminds me of a day of shopping in London. Excuse Me!

I read this via an egalley through NetGalley.
Sara ♥
Feb 26, 2013 Sara ♥ rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, 2013
The drawings are super cute, of course, but the book just doesn't do a good job of showing what "excuse me" is supposed to mean. I could tell what was going on, but my 2-year-old daughter certainly cannot... And since it's a board book.... Yeah.
Oct 27, 2012 Joella rated it really liked it
I liked this one. Hippo is pretty cute, and always saying "Excuse Me" when trying to go around town. I like how it isn't too preachy about using manners...but rather just shows a story where a young hippo needs to use these words. Fun.
Nov 14, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Cute picture book about a hippo who may be in the way but is always mannerly. Eventually the hippo's manners also help out a baby chick. Cute illustrations and minimal text make it a great manners book for the pre-school set.
Dec 30, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Totally adorable easy board book format for the little ones. I really like this simple series.
Nov 19, 2012 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
This little book is laugh-out-loud awesome, as two large hippos attempt to politely navigate a busy city. This is a perfect example of how a picture book can be made to appeal to adults as well as children. A winner!
Mrs Bond
Dec 13, 2011 Mrs Bond rated it liked it
Cute story, reminds me of all the littles who shout "excuse me" as if that makes their interrupting, nudging, and sleeve pulling any less polite. But this little fella uses his manners quite nicely!
Kathy Ellen Davis
Jul 11, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it really liked it
A nice little short story
in board book form
about learning when to say Excuse me.
Large text
and fun illustrations
make this one a winner.
Nov 18, 2013 Curt rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
the kids i read thisto atthe libraryloved it. simple. Good message.
Another favorite in this series! We love these books!
Mar 09, 2012 Vim rated it really liked it
From NetGalley

Perfect for teaching kids good manners. :)
Kristina Jean Lareau
Bright, colorful and simple.
Walaa added it
Oct 21, 2016
Denise rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Della Curtis
Della Curtis rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Lisa Mcbroom
Lisa Mcbroom rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Leann added it
Oct 01, 2016
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Michael Dahl is the author of over 100 children's books. Some of his most popular series are Finnegan Zwake, Library of Doom, and Dragonblood. He resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in a haunted house.

He also writes under aliases Chris Carey, Rick Thomas, and Mark Ziegler.
More about Michael Dahl...

Hello Genius (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Bunny Eats Lunch