Start by marking “Render (The Children of Man, #2)” as Want to Read:
Render (The Children of Man, #2)

Render (The Children of Man #2)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  632 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Just when Faela Durante dared to hope that her mission of atonement might succeed, it all shattered with the senseless massacre of the Tereskan healers in Kilrood. None survived the slaughter, not even her son. With her mentor, Ianos Wilkerson, missing and presumed dead, Faela and her new allies must heed Rivka’s dying prophecy in order to stand against the coming darkness ...more
Published (first published November 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Render, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Render

Dava Stewart
Nov 24, 2011 Dava Stewart rated it it was amazing
I decided immediately upon finishing the first book in this series, Shatter, that I would buy Render as soon as it became available. I did, then re-read Shatter so that I would be "caught up" before reading the 2nd book. It did not disappoint. There are lots of writers who try to create a world, but few are successful. Elizabeth Mock creates an intriguing world and populated it with interesting characters. Sigh. Now I must wait for her to write the final installment of the trilogy.

If you enjoy f
Danielle
Jan 12, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I love Kindle. Do you want to know why? So many authors or publishers post free books. This was not one of them. However, if I had not downloaded the first book in the series, Shatter
I would not have discovered this wonderful, enjoyable new author with some very original ideas regarding magic. I will tell you that very few of the free books I have downloaded in the last year have lead me to buy the author's other works. With Render I was stalking the Kindle boards until it came out.

While I hate
Kimm
May 22, 2012 Kimm rated it it was amazing
This has been one of the most thought provoking, heart-wrenching, complex fantasy series I have read yet. I am truly impressed with the amount of detail, and the layers of complexity presented by both books in the series thus far. There are so many themes addressed and so many characters that at first I was a bit overwhelmed, but Ms. Mock has woven these many threads together in such a masterful way. I am so in love with every single character and for the first time reading a novel with SO many ...more
Anghara
May 07, 2012 Anghara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy realistic fantasy.
I bought this because of Shatter being free via Amazon for my Kindle. When I found out the sequel came out? I had to have it.

I found myself absorbed in the lives of the characters - their flaws, their problems, their challenges - and unable to put the book down.

The commonality joining the protagonists together is pain and knowledge that the consequences they face now are because of choices made in the past that can't be undone. None of them are perfectly good or evil; all are mixed and reflect
Kara Prem
Jun 07, 2012 Kara Prem rated it it was amazing
Wonderful sequel to Shatter... some questions are answered and progress is made. Faela finds closure in her marriage, and comes to terms (somewhat) with the death of her son. Mireya makes progress in becoming Scion (I read the book a few months ago, can't remember the correct title). The lines have been drawn, we see that Kade, Faela, et al will be portrayed as criminals by Tomas in his quest to dominate. Great book
Mickolus Sundquist
May 25, 2012 Mickolus Sundquist rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this 2nd book in the Children of Man series. I liked it much more than the 1st book because I really understood who people were and what they were capable of. There are a lot of characters in these books so it was a bit daunting at first to keep track of them all, but after finishing the 2nd book, you know each character so well. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Elizabeth Mock
Nov 14, 2011 Elizabeth Mock rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it, so I HOPE I liked it...
Jennie
Apr 10, 2012 Jennie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
If you made it through Shatter, then you owe it to yourself to give the follow-up a try. (I completely understand if you ditched Shatter at the beginning, though) Some of the problems found in Shatter are resolved here. The editorial problems are fewer, although still noticeable even if you aren't super observant. The pacing is better as Mock seems to struggle with introducing new things and there is less newness in this book.

The plot progresses better in this than it did in her first book, but
Anna Zollinger
Feb 14, 2012 Anna Zollinger rated it it was amazing
this book was just as amazing as the first! both the character and plot developments moved along wonderfully! I was honestly a little miffed to find that, after finishing this book I couldn't immediately move on to the 3rd book because it hasn't been finished yet, but this is definitely a series worth waiting for!
Kane
Jan 04, 2012 Kane rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Needless to say that it's a must read, but you knew it the second you finished the first book in the series "Shatter". Considering it took a year and a half to write the second book, I hope we fans don't have to wait just as long for the third book. Can anyone say, impatient???
Kay
May 28, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a nice addition to The Children of Man Series. I read and adored the first book Shattered after getting it for free from Amazon (I have that one 5*s) This book was kind of slow at the beginning and it took me a while to get into it but about half way through the book it really picked up and before I knew it I was finished with it. The ending was so poignant that I got a little choked up reading it.

There are a few things that I still think need work in this book. The editing is pretty go
Jenn
Jul 30, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenn by: April
Shelves: fantasy-not-ya, 2012
I would give this 4.5 stars, but it wasn't quite 5 star material. Still, I would recommend this series with the caveat that the first book is confusing due to the history of the characters and the world being revealed very slowly over the course of the series.

This book kept me up until 4:00 am last night. Like someone else I know once I get into a good story I cannot put it down no matter how late it is. I just keep thinking about the story and wondering how it turns out until I have to get up a
Aleigha Henn
Dec 02, 2014 Aleigha Henn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is my favorite and deserves more popularity. I cannot wait for the rest of the series!
Doreen
Mar 02, 2015 Doreen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars? 4 stars? How do I rate a book like this? I suppose 3, since it wasn't as good as the first in the series, but was still above average. Once again, the magic theory was compelling, and I love Ms Mock's overall plotting and world-building. The characters are flawed and believable, but... as with the first book, the overall writing is horrendous. Grammar and spelling are secondary, and what is it with young female American writers and a complete aversion to the proper use of the past conti ...more
Julie
May 08, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
The 2nd book in the series is much easier to read than the first and the author seems to have found her voice and I can't wait to read more. The story and characters have found their rhythm, although there are still a few surprises. The magic system is new and unique and I look forward to the next books in the series whenever they come out.
Mindy
Dec 20, 2011 Mindy rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing !!!!!

I would recommend this series. To be honest I only got the first one because I was in the in between time when none of my fave authors were publishing. I couldn't put it down. And I have been waiting for the second one.
Now I must impatiently wait for the next. Must read series.
Vichy
Nov 19, 2011 Vichy rated it it was amazing
I was expecting the book's publishing eagerly and it didn't disappoint me. It was excellent! I love the world the author has created and the story is breathtaking. Characters either you fall in love or you hate. Emotions and magic so vivid, scenes alive. I know await for the catharsis in #3.
Krisha
Dec 04, 2011 Krisha rated it it was amazing
Had to buy it immediately after reading Shatter - luckily at the touch of a button on kindle! Got so involved in it all I was horrified when I got to the end and discovered book 3 isn't out yet... oh no... life is on hold!
Kelly
May 28, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I loved this sequel. There was alot of building up in this book which I enjoyed. But also alot of sadness--overall the thing I hate the most is that the third book isn't out yet
Noor Jahangir
Dec 16, 2011 Noor Jahangir rated it liked it
Render is the second book in Elizabeth C. Mock's Children of Men series. It continues the story of Faela, Kade and Jair, the three Hands of Lior, agents of change who are chosen whenever a great need arises in the land. One of their companions, Eve, has turned against them to protect her boyfriend, a man who previously broke her heart, Lucian. Eve returns to the head of her Order, Tomas, and reveals Faela, Kade and Jair's secret. The three on the other hand learn more about their destiny and set ...more
Greymalkin
Apr 22, 2012 Greymalkin rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This follow up to the first book was a little dark because the main character spends most of it in deepest despair. I do appreciate that Ms. Mock didn't softpedal the impact of events on the person and several crucial plot points happened because of her pain. However it did get somewhat depressing especially given the terrible things happening to the other characters. I look forward to the next one if only for some much needed catharsis. At the end of the book, the characters were pulling themse ...more
Susan
Jun 01, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Problems? Yes, a few. I am finding in fantasy books that banter between characters has become the standard, and it is often banter that is too modern-sounding to match the medieval-like settings. I find this very distracting. This series is not as bad as some fantasy series for the banter, but was enough to be distracting (hence, four stars instead of five). Some may not mind. There were occasional editing issues, but they were not frequent or distracting to me.

The story is g
Heather
Sep 25, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Children of Men series is really quite good. Light vs. dark, greed, hunger for power, fear, love and heartbreak. There is a war starting and it has only been 10 years since the last one ended. Will the various tribes & houses believe the lies they are told or will they stand together to fight the darkness that desires dominion over all?

I'm only sorry that I have already read Shatter & Render since I have discovered from the authors website that there is an unknown wait for books 3 &a
Natasha
Dec 14, 2011 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Ahhh, this book was a brilliant read. The world is beautiful and feels real. The characters are so well written that you forget they are not actual people. I was pleased that Mock didn't give them easy routes out of thier feelings just to make the story telling softer. Thier reactions are realistic and that give depth to the world. I felt Feala's feelings were true and valid.... and poor Kade!!

I really can't wait to the next book. I hope Jair gets a little more "screen time" in the next book.
Andi
Nov 08, 2012 Andi rated it really liked it
I really liked these books. I liked the personalities of the characters. I think Faela is a bit dramatic. I also, as other reviewers have pointed out, found it hard to follow all the places and the explanation of magic is a bit confusing for me. However, I enjoyed the story and really look forward to a third book. I found that this one moved along a bit better and added some new characters. I think Ms. Mock has real potential as a writer and as books go, her's are enjoyable.
Wayne
May 26, 2014 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, however my rating is reflective of the ending that left me hanging with no book 3 in sight. If I had known this before hand I would not have purchased book 2.
Stacy
Apr 29, 2015 Stacy rated it did not like it
My actual initial rating for this book was 4 stars but you know what? I'm tired of waiting for the 3rd book! This series was good folks, especially considering it's been almost FOUR EFFING YEARS since I finished book 2 and I'm still looking forward to the next. It might be a bitchy move but I'm done giving good ratings when this happens.
Margaret Reeves
Jul 23, 2012 Margaret Reeves rated it it was amazing
Could not wait for this sequel. It was a great read. Now waiting for the next one. The first novel shatter was a great read also.As soon as I finished it, went looking for the second book. As a 40 year reader of fantasy, this was one of the better stories.Ms Mock continues to make me want to know more about her characters and where they are going.
Michelle Leisy
Sep 17, 2012 Michelle Leisy rated it it was ok
Like the first book this one was full of spelling and grammatical errors. This book seemed somewhat pointless since it didn't really move the story along very much. Maybe I was just expecting more from this book since I had to pay $5 for it. I might have been a little easier on the first book since I downloaded it for free.
Nicki
Jul 26, 2012 Nicki rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Render was better than Shattered, the story is good and I liked her use of magic and its divisions. Mock still struggles with the interactions between her characters. It can be difficult to keep up with all the varying characters/orders/regions and none were fully explored in such short books.
Goodreads Librari...: Could someone add a book to my series? 3 32 Dec 09, 2011 09:04PM
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • Ice Cracker II: And Other Stories (The Emperor's Edge, #1.5)
  • The Tekhen of Anuket (80AD, #3)
  • The Andre Norton Megapack
  • The Queen's Blade (The Queen's Blade, #1)
  • Home Ground (Darshian Tales #4)
  • The Great Convergence (The Book of Deacon, #2)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcasts 1 and 2: Resurrection and Awakening (Spinward Fringe, #1-2, Omnibus)
  • The Witch's Key (Tony Marcella Mysteries, #3)
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • A Feast of Souls (Araneae Nation, #2)
  • Finding Valor (Channie, #3)
  • Shadow of the Sun (Timeless, #1)
  • Momentum (Portal Chronicles, #4)
3519676
Elizabeth C. Mock and her husband live in Cincinnati, Ohio, where they watch too many movies and plot their next culinary adventure. She currently teaches philosophy, spends too much time on tumblr, and continues writing The Children of Man series and working on other projects. FORGE is forthcoming SUMMER 2016! Elizabeth is a speculative fiction author repped by Barry Goldblatt Literary.
More about Elizabeth C. Mock...

The Children of Man (2 books)
  • Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)

“People prefer opinions to truth. They try to bend the world to fit their assumptions, instead of changing their assumptions to fit the world. -Mireya” 9 likes
“Life is dynamic and always changing. Sometimes, you’ve got to be able to adapt your instructions to those changes in order to complete your mission.” 4 likes