Start by marking “Queen of Wands (Special Circumstances, #2)” as Want to Read:
Queen of Wands (Special Circumstances, #2)

Queen of Wands (Special Circumstances #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  864 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Soccer mom and demon fighter Barabara Everette is back in this intricately interwoven monster noir thriller, the sequel to bestselling Princess of Wands by eight times New York Times best-seller, John Ringo.

Barbara Everette has a problem. It seems Janea, Barbara’s assistant andThe Foundation for Love and Universal Faith'sbest operative, has been thrown into a coma by some

Published August 7th 2012 by Baen (first published August 1st 2012)

Arthur
Jul 21, 2012 Arthur rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first book (Princess of Wands), but then, the first book was pretty amazing, so it'll be hard to top. This book was still good and well worth reading, however. I AM a bit worried, though - Mr. Ringo is still in the middle of a couple other series I really want to see continue (Troy Rising, for one). Similar to David Weber, I suspect that Mr. Ringo has split his attention between too many good series and will never finish any of them. That's relevant to this book because the en ...more
Shawn
Jul 25, 2014 Shawn rated it really liked it
First off, of all The John Ringo's Books, this is probably the one that is most "acquired taste." It's Contemporary Fantasy with a Christian protagonist in an All Myths Are True universe. Barbara Everett is a fun lead. Competent and yet not really knowing why she is. Earnest and faithful without being pushy and self-righteous. And yet, not perfect. The supporting cast is interesting as well. But some of them just don't strike me as deep when they are sent to the fore. As is the case with the "Ja ...more
Rich
Jan 22, 2014 Rich rated it it was ok

The first part wasn't all that bad. I was actually liking it more than the first book. Lots of action after a slowish start. Barb has gone from confused soccer mom to hard-boiled ninja warrior mom in the space of just one year. She was kicking ass and not really bothering to take names in a major way before this one was thru. There were a lot of sliced off heads rolling around on the ground in this book, which was all lots of fun. When's she going to start showing these vaunted MMA skilss though
Per Gunnar
These books in John Ringo’s Special Circumstances series are a quite fun read. Sure they are a bit special and the references to God and faith are fairly abundant. But at the same time it’s not at all some Christian crusade. Faiths and Gods of all kinds are present in this fantasy tale.

The first part of the book is very good. I really like Barbara Everette. A staunch Christian believer that never strays from her faith, never swears etc. but at the same time do not hesitate to tell the unfortunat
Laney
Dec 09, 2012 Laney rated it it was ok
Julia
Dec 28, 2012 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-series
When I read Princess of Wands I thought it was great fun so I was excited to see that the sequel had been published. Unfortunately I wasn't nearly as impressed with the second book. Although there is a little bit at the beginning about Barbara being uncomfortable with a new part of her powers, this is slid over quickly. For the rest of the book Barbara is a totally kick-ass, practically invincible heroine.

The book is written as three separate stories. In the first, Barbara is called to work with
Lynne Cantwell
Aug 08, 2013 Lynne Cantwell rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As a Neopagan, I have to tell you that Queen of Wands annoyed the crap out of me.

This book was in my freebie bag from last year's World Fantasy Convention. Ringo is known as a decent writer, and the title is the name of a Tarot card, which I thought might mean the story was Pagan-friendly. Alas, it's not.

In the America that Ringo has created for this series (this is book two), there's a more-or-less clandestine organization for people with paranormal abilities who are called upon to fight, y'kno
Jim
Mar 07, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Armed forces veteran and eight-time New York Times bestselling author John Ringo delivers the sequel to contemporary urban fantasy thriller Princess of Wands. Demonic, possessed Stepford wives versus a soccer mom demon slayer – plus, a zombie fight at an SF convention.

Soccer mom and demon fighter Barbara Everette has a problem. It seems Janea, Barbara’s assistant and The Foundation for Love and Universal Faith's best operative, has been thrown into a coma by some very nasty magic she’s stirre

Isaac
I liked it. I liked it quite a bit. But there's also I didn't like.

First off is Barbara. She's less of the Christian than she was in Book 1. Ringo made Barbara a tryhard to be "badass". Actually, it's not just Barbara, Janea is also a tryhard to be slutty. Ringo really tried to toss in lines that would make Barbara seem badass and Janea slutty.

I'm seriously. In Part 3, Barbara and Janea got out of some underground cave and fights, so they are tired and exhausted and wanting to rest and sleep. Bu
Robert Jones
Sep 11, 2012 Robert Jones rated it really liked it
Great book! Not sure where he will go from there, but looking forward to finding out.
Bruce Williams
Apr 06, 2016 Bruce Williams rated it it was amazing
Another easy read. Entertaining.
A bit surprising from Ringo as it's the first time I've ever seen him use more than religious faith to draw and define his characters. He's had characters in other series, especially his hard-bitten, fearless, military heroes who have drawn upon their beliefs/faith to gather strength and justify certain actions. But, this is the first I've read where he centers his main character so completely within a belief system.
I wonder if some of my feeling about the author
Alex
Dec 25, 2014 Alex rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
"Queen of Wands" by John Ringo is book 2 of a 2 book series. It was a reasonable sequel to the "Princess of Wands" but it wasn't as good and I didn't think book 1 was all that good. Still... if you are a church-going Christian it might hold appeal. It is violent, however. Just so you know.

The Story: Barbara Everette is a homemaker whose children are near-grown and has been recruited into a secret force hunting down bad spirits and she is trying to reconcile her Christian faith with much of the p
Gilbert M.
Feb 18, 2013 Gilbert M. rated it liked it
In Princess of Wands, John Ringo introduced the world to Barb Everette, a soccer Mom who discovers the hard way that the occult and the supernatural are very deadly perils in the world today. Fortunately, Barb is both a devout Protestant and a military brat with extensive martial arts and weapons training. The combination makes her a very effective warrior of the light in this enjoyable urban fantasy series.

In Princess of Wands, Barb joins forces with a secret organization composed of an eclecti
Wench
I really like this book (and series), but wow do I have mixed feelings about it.

I think it's got some really interesting takes on theology, Christian and otherwise. The mechanics of how this version of the world works are really, really interesting. Yeah Barbara Everette's a totally overpowered character but it's really interesting to see a woman in that role. And she manages to be SUPER CHRISTIAN without being an asshole about it, for the most part. Yeah, she struggles with different beliefs, a
Aleea J. Brewer
Mar 01, 2015 Aleea J. Brewer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth the wait

I read Princess of Wands many times, trying to understand what would come next for Special Circumstances. The wait was long, but entirely worth it. This is not my first reading of 'Queen', I have had the hardcopy since the original publication. My question to John Ringo is when will you revisit Barbara, Janea and SC? What did Barbara say to Mark, please don't leave us hanging.
Sharon Michael
Oct 24, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it it was amazing
Second in the series and just as much fun as the first. I know there are lots of readers who don't care for this series and I'm usually one that doesn't deal well with overt Christian religion as a significant part of the storyline but Ringo makes this work for me.

Yuppie, strongly Christian, married soccer mom character, allied with any number of other characters whose power comes from other religions and all work together to foil demons. What's not to like?

The ongoing mildly 'anti-hero' charact
Christine
May 08, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
I wish this weren't the last book so far in the Special Circumstances series. I've thoroughly enjoyed both of them. This one follows our demon-fighting hero, Barbara Everette, as she learns more about how to fight demons and about her fellow demon-fighters.
Dave
Jan 07, 2015 Dave rated it it was amazing
More and better of The Good, The Evil and the rest of us.

I could not put the first book in this series down. I couldn't put this book down, either. In the first story, John created his characters, the good, the bad, and the rest of us. The characters and their relationships continue to grow in interesting ways.
Having learned about different religious beliefs, over the years, the story was even more entertaining. I look forward to reading more of the series.
Andreas
Aug 26, 2012 Andreas rated it liked it
The sequel to Princess of Wands sees “Soccermom-osaurus” Mrs. Barbara Everette as an experienced FLUF agent, defending America from evil supernatural and mystic creatures. As in the first book, this one also takes the form of three interlinked stories, the middle one of which is set (sort of) at Dragon*con.

Ringo always delivers thrills and page-turnability. But this time he fell short of the mark. The story is bland. The stakes are nominally high, certainly. but I never felt like I cared that mu
Amber
Nov 05, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
The sequel to Princess of Wands was just as good as I had hoped. It had me laughing, it was fast paced, and it even gave the spotlight to other characters for a while. The ending went in a way different direction from what I had anticipated, which is good actually. However, it also set a much darker tone for the books to come. Not that it is much of a surprise given that Ringo seems to write best when it appears that basically everyone is screwed and there's no reason to really hope for anything ...more
Joel Tone
Jun 21, 2014 Joel Tone rated it really liked it
I didn't like it quite as much as the first book but it was still a fun read.

If you like this check out Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International Series.
C.
Aug 23, 2012 C. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
I have no doubt that this novel is going to seriously upset many, many readers. If the strongly faith based elements of the first one ( Princess of Wands ) bothered you, I would advise skipping this one entirely.

As for myself, this book really "worked" for me, despite a bit of predictability and some fairly obvious flaws both in detail and plot; I applaud Ringo's courage, and I hope he is rewarded for it.

I am certain I will be reading the these novels multiple times, and I sincerely hope there w
Derek
Sep 21, 2012 Derek rated it liked it
Followup to Princess of Wands
Atypical soccer-mom (also Army brat, Martial arts specialist and firm believer in God) is 'drafted' to fight supernatural creatures on Earth by channeling the power of God.

In Princess of Wands the demons are small. In Queen of Wands, not so much. A very creative astral trip to DragonCon and a major intervention are required.

Decent. The other two are fine in length, the third one feels abrupt, chopped and not up to its potential. Also, the attempts at explaining the
Ron
Sep 06, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it
Continuation of the story of Barb Everette (The Princess of Wands). Barb is upset in regard to new "Gifts" she is experiencing and is drawn into Janea's case in Chattanooga. The first story in the book plays out on two levels - Barb's in mundane Chattanooga, finding out and stopping evil forces at work and Janea's at a very strange version of Dragon Con. The second story develops out of the first and leads to a dramatic confrontation with an Old One. Sandwiched in Barb's tale is a Warehouse 13 r ...more
Suzy
Nov 04, 2013 Suzy rated it it was ok
I absolutely loved the first book and waited and waited for this sequel (took forever to come out). Unfortunately, this book fell flat for me. I found Barb to be unbearably arrogant and unlikeable in this one, and except for the middle section set at DragonCon, I just didn't find the story to be all that interesting or even that well written. A huge disappointment after waiting such a long time for a folllow-up. Not sure I'd bother with another in this series.
Wildrose VuVu Magoo
Aug 10, 2012 Wildrose VuVu Magoo rated it it was amazing
I just got my copy of Queen of Wands and finished it in one day! I'd say it wasn't quite as good as Princess of Wands, but still excellent. It took me a while to get into the Dragon Con part, likely because I've never been to Dragon Con nor do I ever want to. (the description of the crowds appalls me) Um, anyway. I love Barbara Everette as a character and I giggled hysterically at the ending. I can't WAIT to see how that pans out. Definitely a good read!
Ray Bliss
Oct 22, 2012 Ray Bliss rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-general
Most of John’s work get 4 or 5 Stars from me, but this book I’m going to have to give a 3.5 since it’s broken up into three parts and part one & three were fantastic but part two took me out of the action and story. I understand the second part and why he wrote it, but for me, it really held the story back. I especially liked part three though about the old ones. I thought it was Lovecraftian horror at its finest and totally spot on.
Jennavier
Mar 19, 2013 Jennavier rated it really liked it
The six year sequel (yes, that's how long it was and yes, I counted) to Princess of Wands was fabulous. Not quite as good, since Queen of Wands depended a lot on world-building, which is not the authors strong point. Just because it wasn't as awesome as Princess doesn't mean it wasn't a great read. I still love Barb, the housewife who turns into the paladin. I've read a lot more urban fantasy in the last six years and I still love this series.
Nth Wolf
Dec 25, 2015 Nth Wolf rated it liked it
I'm a fan of John Ringo's books but this one was just meh.

There was a lot of political and ideological talk which detracted from the story itself. If you took out all that talk where he presented his opinions on how things should be then you'd probably cut out 1/4 of the book if not more.

His earlier works had more story content. It seems like his later works have him on his soap box a lot of the times.
Elisabeth Waters
Aug 02, 2012 Elisabeth Waters rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the middle part of the book, which was set at DragonCon. As to the rest of it, I just don't find Barbara Everett a believable character. If she's supposed to be an Episcopalian, she should know that Episcopalian is a noun and Episcopal is an adjective, so it's the Episcopal Church, not the Episcopalian Church. And most of her dialogue sounds like the Kildar in the Paladin of Shadows series.
  • Elfhome (Elfhome, #3)
  • If Looks Could Kill
  • From a Drood to a Kill (Secret Histories, #9)
  • Burdens of the Dead (Heirs of Alexandria, #4)
  • The Shadow Walker
  • When Diplomacy Fails
  • The Change: Tales of Downfall and Rebirth
  • Chained Reaction (The Destroyer, #34)
  • Basketful of Crap (Hard Luck Hank #2)
  • Emergence (David Hooper, #1)
  • No Going Back (Jon & Lobo, #5)
  • REHO
  • A Beautiful Friendship (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #1)
  • Extremis (Starfire, #6)
  • The Memories of Milo Morai (Horseclans, #15)
  • Shadow Unit 7
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.
More about John Ringo...

Special Circumstances (2 books)
  • Princess of Wands (Special Circumstances, #1)

“Forget trying to find an old bone or two, seek the damned Holy Grail! You may fail, probably will based on historical record, but you’ll fail grandly!” 2 likes
“Arachnophobia,” Stan repeated, finally raising his head. “Arachnids induce fear and panic in a large number of people. The theory is that they are so unworldly, so unlike any normal creature, that it induces an automatic ‘other’ response in many humans. It’s been studied because of the possibility that there would be a similar response on the part of anyone encountering aliens.” 1 likes