Could I Have This Dance? (Claire McCall #1)

Could I Have This Dance? (Claire McCall #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  31 reviews
You can't dance this dance unless it's in your blood. Claire McCall is praying it's not in hers. Claire McCall is used to fighting back against the odds. Hard work, aptitude, and sheer determination have helped her rise from adverse circumstances to an internship in one of the nation's most competitive surgical residencies. But talent and tenacity mean nothing in the face...more
Published March 12th 2002 by Zondervan (first published March 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Could I Have This Dance?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Could I Have This Dance?

Rachel Bhattacharyya
There is a religious component to this book that I didn't expect, but it wasn't heavy-handed. The story line of a young female intern who is struggling to make the grade in a prestigious University hospital is compelling. There are lots of twists and turns, and I found the inclusion of Huntington's Disease (HD) to be the best part of this book. It helps readers discover the impact of genetic diseases on family systems, and also gives a glimpse into the dilemma of genetic testing for individuals...more
Trinity Rose
Another first for me. I hadn’t heard of Harry Kraus before reading this book. He is now one of my new favorite authors.
There are two kind of books I love and they are medical and police dramas. This is a mix of medical and suspense which I really love.
This book is in a series so it didn’t really answer the main question if the main character has an inherited disease so I have to read book number two.
The cover is beautiful and title of this book Could I have this Dance?, is a great play on wor...more
Casey
The idea that put this novel together is the main reason I picked it up. To avoid a back cover recap, I’ll just say: it was interesting. Working in a medical field as my work-a-day job, I was intrigued by this concept to let that world enter a bit of my fiction entertainment.

Published in 2002, a reader can definitely see where Christian fiction has progressed and become a stronger force to be reckoned with. Much of the novel was a bit wordy for my taste, but Claire as a character, and her circum...more
Janie  R.

An excellent story-intense,fast-paced,with several subplots which kept me reading beyond my regular sleeping hours, and very interesting info on Huntington's disease. I liked the character of Clair, her strength and deep faith,and her dreams of becoming a surgeon. Some surprising twists and turns in the story, made me gasp out loud! I don't want to give away anymore of this super good story, you will just have to read it! I have found another favorite author, Harry Kraus,MD.!
Cafelilybookreviews
Apr 26, 2010 Cafelilybookreviews rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of medical drama
Author Harry Kraus peaked my interest when I discovered that he was a surgeon in real life as well as a fantastic author. Harry began writing his first novel during his last year of surgical training, when he was chief resident. From there not only has his medical career blossomed, but his gift of writing has made a place for him the literary world.

I love the fact that Harry writes some very intense, gritty, medical fiction without crossing over into the secular trends of adding sex, profanity....more
Truke de Kruijter- Prins
Mooi boek, zet je stil bij de vraag, wat willen we weten over onze erfelijkheid, wat moeten en mogen we in vertrouwen op God, aan Hem overlaten?
L
Harry Kraus draws from his career as a general surgeon to develop a story about Claire McCall, and her trials as a surgery intern, her search to prove that Huntington's Disease was the cause of her Dad's strange "dance" rather than alcoholism, and her pain from the secrets and family dynamics that she uncovers along the way.Really enjoyed this one, and learned a great deal about how difficult it can be for a woman to pursue a career in medicine.
Roxanne
I could not put this book down. Medical novel, hospital setting, great characters; fabulous, well-written story; lots of action, surprises around every corner. Medical intern Claire McCall meets challenges in her professional and personal lives. The best thing is that her character changes over the course of the story. I believe this is the best novel I’ve ever read
Sheero
Granted, I read this book quite a while ago, but I loved how the characters were authentic without perfecting them like in most Christian Inspirational Literature. Claire was a normal woman going through what women her age go through, temptation, fear, anger as her world is turned inside out.
I look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.
Brenda
This book was suggested to me by a dear friend. I thought the story was well told and interesting. There were a few times that I wished the pace of the story would of been quicker. The characters were well developed. The story had enough twists and turns that I did not see the ending coming. I will seek out this author again.
Kathy
Well written. This book just kept getting better and better...and it left me desperate to read the next book in the series as soon as possible!
Mary Elizabeth Morton
I loved this book!! If you are a fan of Grey's Anatomy, you will love this book. It is Book One in a Trilogy. I am looking forward to reading the other two books. You can tell the author is a doctor. Plus if you are Christian, it has a nice Christian element to it, that Grey's Anatomy does not have.
Jen
Fist in the series, E. Claire is doing her residency after completing her MD at a top notch school hours away from the family and past she desperately wants to escape. The story unfolds beautifully and makes you want to pick up the next installment. A love story, tear-jerker, medical thriller.
Natalie
A little over the top with the drama but it was a fun read. It was fun to read a medical novel with a Christian perspective. It's nice to know that people still believe in God and will write about Him in a positive light, and a way that most of us can understand.
Allison Petersen
I love that it is a Christian novel with characters who truly experience the Christian life...trials, doubts, questions. It is not a trite view of the Christian walk. Also, it has some mystery, romance, and lots of interesting medical situations.
Karen
Read this in a church book club years ago. While I learned a lot about Huntington's Disease, which I had never heard of before, I did not like the book well enough to continue the series.
Karen
The book started out good, but it sort of developed into a "soap opera" story with so many people not knowing who their biological parents were. There were so many secrets.
Stephanie
Novel about a surgical intern who is working to survive an intensive program and who uncovers the possibility of an incurable genetic disease in her family.
Cindy
I loved this book. Great read and shows who real friends are. Also shows family relationships the good and the bad. Now on to the sequel.
Christie
This book was really cool. A medical background, suspense, romance, and even spiritual truths. One of the best books I've read in awhile.
Kati Hinson
Didn't get into it until the last 5or 6 chapters. It was hard to understand because of all of the medical jargon.
Christal
I learned a lot about Huntingdon's disease.
Lesli
It was a great book. It's a little slow at the beginning, but if you push through it is great.
Donnab
What a story of twists & turns! Once again Krauss kept me interested until the very last page.
Donna
I enjoyed this book...now I need to find Book #2. Some unexpected twists in this book.
Janet
Aug 22, 2007 Janet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of medical mysteries and thrillers.
I didn't realize this one had become a series! Now I'll have to find books #2 and #3.
Bgraceb
Great Christian literature! Read it for our church book club and loved it!!
Elizabeth
Arduous description of Huntington's dz but very well done for a surgeon.....
Chele
Be careful with these books - they take things a little too far.
Francie ( glitter glu )
i liked it. reading book 2 now.
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • Dread Champion (Chelsea Adams, #2)
  • The Will of Wisteria
  • Emerald Windows
  • Halos
  • Into the Deep (Rock Harbor Series #3)
  • She Always Wore Red (Fairlawn #2)
  • A Delirious Summer
  • Though None Go with Me
  • Ever Present Danger (Phantom Hollow Series, #1)
  • The Guy I'm Not Dating
  • Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)
  • All She Ever Wanted
  • Life Support (Alexi Lindale, #1)
  • Secret Place of Thunder: (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5)
  • The Marriage Wish
Harry Kraus, M.D. is a board-certified surgeon, medical missionary to East Africa, and accomplished writer of both non-fiction and fiction. Medical realism and gripping plotlines distinguish his writing, as he gets most of his ideas with a scalpel in hand. Dr. Kraus resides in Virginia with his wife Kris and the youngest of his three sons.
More about Harry Kraus...
A Heartbeat Away An Open Heart Perfect (Claire McCall #4) For the Rest of My Life (Claire McCall #2) All I'll Ever Need (Claire McCall #3)