Start by marking “Inside Apple” as Want to Read:
Inside Apple

Inside Apple

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  2,369 ratings  ·  202 reviews
Based on numerous interviews, this book reveals exclusive new information about how Apple innovates, deals with its suppliers, and is handling the transition into the post Jobs era.
Published January 1st 2012 by John Murray Publishers (first published May 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Apple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Apple

Anne Mowat
I read Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs before I read Inside Apple. Taken together, both books create a fuller understanding of Apple than each on its own. From this book, I learned a lot more about Apple as a business.

I think the book is well done considering no Apple senior manager (and probably no current employee) would agree to an interview for the book. Adam Lashinsky has drawn extensively from a wide variety of credible sources to overcome that. But I also think it would have be
Robert Frost
Adam Lashinsky is an Editor at Large for FORTUNE magazine, where he has reported on silicon valley for more than a decade. His new book, Inside Apple: How America’s Most Admired – and Secretive – Company Really Works, reveals what it is really like to work at Apple. It must have felt like a kick in the stomach for Lashinsky, when Walter Isaacson’s biography of Steve Jobs was released, because the two books cover a lot of similar ground. But they approach it from different perspectives. Isaacson, ...more
Michael Parker
This book was supposed to be a study of Apple from a business perspective, but it fails in almost every regard. The only new information is about Apple University, and that information was already published as a Kindle Single months ago.

There are also some very strange issues and inaccuracies in the book which are very illuminating, and I'll just go straight to quotes from some of the troublesome parts that justify my one star review.

On pg 163 "Technology wonks like to gripe that Apple's produ
Maria Gebhardt
If you want insight to the perplexing secrecy of what goes on in Cupertino, this book shares information about how meetings were run with designers at the forefront, how employees are so dedicated to working on Apple projects that they put in long hours even through New Year’s Day, and how Apple was such an intense environment that it even pitted employees against employees to deliver products that would awe in a timeframe that would shock the competition.

The book begins with avery unique organ
حسين المتروك
من الكُتب الجميلة في مجال ريادة الأعمال، رغم أنّه يتحدّث عن آبل بشكل ما، إلا أنّه يُركّز على القيم التي قامت عليه آبل، بدل أن يكون الحديث فقط عن ستيف جوبز.

حاول آدم لاشينسكي، الوصول إلى تفكيك شفرة آبل للإبداع والانجاز المُميّز، وأعتقد أنّه تمكّن من فهم الكثير من الكلمات حول هذه الشركة المجنونة، فهوَ يشير منذ البداية إلى سريّة العلاقات في آبل، بل وسريّة كلّ شيء في هذه الشركة، وكيف تمكنت من العودة إلى السطح مجدداً بفضل أموال (مايكروسوفت).

بعض الكلمات التي أحببتها في الكتاب،
- جوبز، مارس الإدارة التفص
Johnrh
INSIDE APPLE: How America's Most Admired--And Secretive--Company Really Works, by Adam Lashinsky. Published January 2012 by Business Plus of the Hachette Book Group. At slightly over 200 pages this is a clear, fast, easy read, for which I am always grateful.

I enjoyed this book and, more importantly, was educated. The author gives an excellent analysis of what Apple has been and poses thoughtful questions as to what it may be. A lot of food for thought.

It is a somewhat generalized insight into Ap
Thomas
I have read quite a few book biographies about Steve Jobs and accounts of Apple and Adam Lashinsky's "Inside Apple" has uncovered new ground. Not only is there quite a bit of new fodder about Apple and its workings, but it helped explain some of my dealings with not only Apple HQ, but those who have worked there in management roles who are now at other organizations. I thought it would be rare to have so many a ha moments with all of the reading about Apple I have done since the early 80s, but a ...more
Bojan Tunguz
As a longtime fan of Apple’s products, I’ve read a lot about this iconic company over the years. Apple’s willingness to break with the traditions is legendary, and it’s this revolutionary aspect of its products that has earned it the iconoclastic reputation that it has. Most of this revolutionary zeal, and Apple’s overall approach to business, was, of course, based in the particular vision of Steve Jobs, its founder and the CEO during some of the company’s most successful days. My own understand ...more
Jerry
An interesting book, but having first read Isaacson’s Steve Jobs, I found this book not as good. However, there were some insights and details here that fill out the picture of the company.

Apple is very secretive. Even people inside are compartmentalized and don’t know what each other are working on. And unlike other Silicon Valley companies Apple employees don’t talk about work with people from other companies. No one has connections with Apple. Steve Jobs was the only one permitted to have a n
Edwin Si
It's hard for outsiders to imagine how Apple really works. As what suggested by the author, most of us outsiders would think that working with Apple is cool and it is sort of a dream company you want to work or brag about working in. In reality the company has so much differences compared to any large organisations that I would agree that Apple is not for everyone. The author has quite clearly defined how Apple has become the Apple today and what differentiated them from other companies and what ...more
Mahmoud Shehata
It's really easy now to see why this book has low rating. First up the author is really not a good writer at all. He used a lot of bombastic words that quite didn't fit the topic. He played around with some facts that I know for sure are wrong. It's very obvious that he didn't read the autobiography by walter isaacson. Which is VERY irritating.
However if you can take the author out and focus on the news and inside stories told about Apple - which he doesn't cite most of their references - you wi
David
Pretty light in unique content, although I did gain some new insights about Apple the company. 'Everyone in Apple wants to get out and everyone outside Apple wants to get in.' says it all. Rather hire then promote. Cast aside once your specific project is over. Secretive and compartmentalize (like terrorist cell). Seems the Apple's structure was customized to serve a visionary narcissist. Now that he - Jobs - is gone, Apple will atrophy as current product line matures...unfortunate.
Derek Choi
Powered through the entire book in 2 days.

If you read 'How Apple Works' by the author in Fortune magazine and the Steve Jobs biography you'd get a pretty good idea on what is going on in this book, there were some interesting tidbits but sadly most of them were revealed by blogs/mainstream media before I got a chance to read the book.

Ultimately I found the content of the book engaging, because Apple is a company that interests me but I wasn't blown away.
Andrew R.
It's amazing how little information really gets out of Apple, even for a well-respected journalist like Lashinsky. The book had some good Steve quotes and a smattering of insider information, but really, the era of Total Secrecy at Apple is far from over. By the way, his answer to the question "What will Apple be like without Steve Jobs?": "Who knows? Probably different"
Jeff Yoak
Another enjoyable read about Apple. Through their products and all the things that make them unusual as a company in my industry, it is one of the companies in which I have the most interest. Unlike the Jobs biography, this focused more on the company itself and how it operates and it rounded out more the sense of the place.
Fady
The book at first seemed interesting, then i felt it drifted away from the main topic of the book at discussing how apple really works behind the scenes, instead the author kept quoting a lot of the minor incidents between steve jobs and his inferiors and how he thinks about stuff. it talked then about the phase of post steve jobs, and gave a background about Forstall,Tim Cook, Johny Ive and some more of the people used to surround steve jobs and how they worked in harmony and that each was a pi ...more
Louise Jones
I dont normally read these kind of books as to be honest not really up to computers speak and am not really interested in how business people think but with steve jobs I found it interesting just thinking of certain business people i know must admit what struck me is if you are in charge then you really are and you should live and breathe the company to the extent of not having holidays incase you geta call come back your company needs you I would recommend this book to people just to see how s ...more
stan
It is definitely an OK book for an outsider. However, if you live in silicon valley and are familiar with what is going on around you, this book just doesn't have anything new in it... could have been an article, really.
Josh McConnell
With the recent passing of Steve Jobs, more books than usual have surfaced to try to give readers insight into Apple and the life of its founder/CEO. The incredibly detailed Steve Jobs was insightful and authorized by the Jobs family, which is an advantage over most other books out there. With Apple being such a secretive company, unless you are on the inside you must rely on your own external research and interviews with people close to the organization when writing your own narrative.

All of th
Jay Connor
There have been a lot of business books that intend to tout the destined silver bullet of success and leadership of a particular company or leader. From the 1970's "The IBM Way" to the 2010's "What Would Google Do?" (reviewed here). Usually, they are simply variations on MBA 101. Refreshingly "Inside Apple," Adam Lashinsky's strong account of this very successful corporation does in fact present us with a unique way of doing business. Throughout, you are challenged with approaches to business as ...more
Maciej Janiec
Selected insights from the book:

Focus Obsessively / The Art of Refusal

Steve Jobs explaining Apple’s core strengths: “Focusing is powerful. A start-up’s focus is very clear. Focus is not saying yes. It is saying no to really great ideas.”

From the moment Jobs returned, the corporate culture changed. Now it would and employees would focus on whatever it was they did best—and nothing else. To this day, graphics runs graphics; logistics controls logistics; finance worries about the bottom line.

Work E
Ruben
This is another good book about Apple, its culture, Steve Jobs, and speculation about its future. Most of the information written in this piece has been available elsewhere. There are little if any new revelations. However as a business book the author makes a good correlation between the leader and his work. Apple is an expression-extension and maybe a replication of the person Steve Jobs… at least while he obsessively dominated Apple. Principles or values he held in life such as “…if you’re go ...more
Michael
This book, though engaging, was also a quick read and left me kind of unfulfilled. There's not a whole lot here that hasn't been reported elsewhere on Apple. "Inside Apple" feels like a long magazine article, because that's essentially what it is.

Lashinsky does a good job describing the ways Apple defies conventional business wisdom, making the company palpably different from other large companies, as well as other tech companies in Silicon Valley. Compared to others, Apple has tried hard to sol
Sena Khateeb
I don't think I have ever enjoyed a book that is not a novel as much as I enjoyed this one. I read the Arabic version, and the translation was really good; not confusing at all.
The book discusses the secrecy Apple functions under, the business rules it breaks, and how much the company focuses on details. It discusses Steve Jobs as well: his temper, his early days, how he saved Apple, how everything had to go through him before it got out to the public... This poses a series of serious questions:
Marks54
This is an expansion of a May 2011 article in Fortune by the author, I suspect motivated by the attention given to Apple with the passing of Steve Jobs and the huge attention given to Isaacson's wonderful authorized biography of Jobs.

The book succeeds at a basic level in telling how the firm worked under Jobs and may work since his passing. There are lots of interesting facts about Apple operations and culture as well as about the management team that helped to make Apple so successful under Ste
Neville
Apple really does 'Think Differently'! The very fabric of this iconic company, that now has a capitalization of $590.8 billion (soon to be a trillion?) is that it's - contrarion.

This is a company that doesn't do things the old stodgy way. Think IBM.

As large as the company is, the author of 'Inside Apple', Adam Lashinsky, explains that it's been a single P&L company; not divided into divisions or consumed with committees. In Apple "only one executive 'owned' the P&L, and that was the ch
Keith Kendall
May 26, 2012 Keith Kendall rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: interested in business structure
Shelves: business, biography
The theme was clear. Apple was dominated by Steve Jobs. The word most often used was narcissistic. The message was autocratic. He micromanaged to an amazing degree. Although the theme was repeated over and over, the text stayed interesting.

"There is no other field of human activity - including entertainment, sports, high fashion, or politics - which is so riddled by fads as business. ... At the least, the study of business history can prompt an executive to ask of each new 'solution' to problem
RC1140
Interesting perspective on apple from an outsider. Not many companies can claim to have achieved what apple has achieved and this book doesn't try to convince you that your company can or should change to the way apple works just because they were successful. There are many core bits of strategies and ideas that apple implemented that could be used in other companies and its interesting to spot some of these ideas being used at other companies that can be considered successful having implemented ...more
Waseem
At times was not a lot new seeing I've read Steven Jobs authorised 2011 biography by Walter Isaacson...

However was an very interesting insight into the way the Apple company not so traditional business practices make them unique as well as successful ...and a greater detail about how Apple runs beyond what we always heard about the late CEO Steve Jobs (RIP)

Waseem Mirza

Ben Love
Perhaps the most in-depth look at how the mystery inside Apple does what it does. Lots of people have read this, lots of reviews have been written. Probably very few people will do anything with the information.
For me, the most important takeaway from this book was the discernment of leadership versus democracy. While not explicitly called out, it’s definitely an undertone throughout the book. In fact, it’s the antithesis of the book I read right before this – Taking People With You by David Nov
The Corliss Group Latest Tech Review: Apple iOS 8 Granska 1 1 Sep 27, 2014 05:16PM
  • Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World
  • Inside Steve's Brain
  • Insanely Simple: The Obsession That Drives Apple's Success
  • The Second Coming of Steve Jobs
  • Googled: The End of the World as We Know It
  • iCon: Steve Jobs, the Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
  • One Click: Jeff Bezos and the Rise of Amazon.com
  • The Perfect Thing: How the iPod Shuffles Commerce, Culture, and Coolness
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs
  • The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation
  • Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
  • The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company
  • Digital Wars: Apple, Google, Microsoft and the Battle for the Internet
  • Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Game Over, Press Start to Continue: How Nintendo Conquered the World
  • Public Parts: How Sharing in the Digital Age is Revolutionizing Life, Business, and Society
Inside Apple: How America's Most Admired-And Secretive-Company Really Works

“You either did or you didn't - there is no try. - Steve Jobs.” 6 likes
“Apple's approach to career development is yet another way it runs contrary to the norms at other companies. The prevalent attitude for workers in the corporate world is to consider their growth trajectory. What's my path up? How do I get to the next level? Companies, in turn, spend an inordinate amount of time and money grooming their people for new responsibilities. They labor to find just the right place for people. But what if it turns out all that thinking is wrong? What if companies encouraged employees to be satisfied where they are because they're good at what they do, not to mention because that might be what's best for shareholders?

Instead of employees fretting that they were stuck in terminal jobs, what if they exalted in having found their perfect jobs? A certain amount of office politics might evaporate in a corporate culture where career growth is not considered tantamount to professional fulfilment. Shareholders, after all, don't care about fiefdoms and egos. There are many professionals who would find it liberating to work at what they are good at, receive competitive killer compensation, and not have to worry about supervising others or jockeying for higher rungs on an org chart.”
2 likes