Start by marking “When Katie Wakes When Katie Wakes When Katie Wakes” as Want to Read:
When Katie Wakes When Katie Wakes When Katie Wakes

When Katie Wakes When Katie Wakes When Katie Wakes

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Bestselling author Connie May Fowler tells her own extraordinary story for the first time-the harrowing years of her childhood followed by the abusive relationship she endured as a youngwoman-and how the unconditional love of her dog helped her escape her physical and emotional bonds.
"Before Women Had Wings," Connie May Fowler's award-winning and bestsellingfictional accou
Unbound, 288 pages
Published January 19th 2002 by Doubleday Books (first published 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about When Katie Wakes When Katie Wakes When Katie Wakes

Robin
I have been a fan of Connie May Fowler since reading Before Women Had Wings maybe ten years ago. Blame it on Oprah Winfrey: this was one of the books Oprah mentioned that I decided to read. After reading Ms. Fowler's heart-wrenching book, I was instantly hooked on her writing.

In When Katie Wakes, Ms. Fowler tells her amazing story of breaking free from years of abuse with the unconditional love of her dog, Katie. While Before Women Had Wings was fiction dealing with domestic violence, When Katie
Jenny
Sep 29, 2007 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women--especially those in abusive relationships
Shelves: favorites
This is a very sad book, but it has a happy ending. It is about the author, Connie May Fowler, and what happened to her as a child as she was abused by her mother and then how she went into an abusive relationship with a man that turned out to be very much like her mother was. Both were alcoholics, both very mean in their abuse both physical and verbal.

The book is also about Katie, Connie's black Lab, who helps her to survive her abuse from the boyfriend.

The happy ending is where Connie does fin
Ashley
What an engrossing read! Once I started, I could hardly put it down. May Fowler's story is absolutely heartbreaking.

Abused first by her mother and then by a man thirty years her senior, May Fowler is trapped but struggling to find her way out. Her father abused her mother, her grandfather abused her grandmother, and on back for several generations. After May Fowler's father dies, her mother turns on her as well as her two siblings. As a mid-20 year old, she finds herself again being abused by a
Louise
Anytime you read a memoir about abuse, it is a sad, heartbreaking and deeply emotionally charged study of the pain and anguish another person has suffered. Connie May Fowler is a courageous survivor of alcoholism and domestic violence just as her own mother and grandmother before her experienced. Despite her intelligence, education and experiences from the past, she seemingly became involved with a man who was physically and mentally abusive toward her.

Trapped in a vicious, controlling, cruel,
Indra
The way I feel about this book is akin to the way I feel about Maya Angelou's "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"--both writers took trauma and transformed their lives for the better by writing about bad experiences beautifully. This one is so good that when I finished it, I read it again immediately in case I had missed something (I tend to be a speed reader). It's hard to read (or grasp) what Connie lived with on a daily basis, but her courage is always there underneath, fighting with her fear, ...more
Kate
Connie Fowler is clearly a women with strength and humility. Real skill and talent are required to produce such a memoir. Due to birth and circumstance Connie has been deeply affected by other peoples short comings and been marked by both physical and emotional abuse. At times the reading is not pleasant but it is written in such a way that the reader can understand her choices, so it is not hard to turn the page.

A delightful aspect of her story is her relationship with her dog, very touching an
Vivian
I am a long time fan of Connie May Fowler's work and remember reading "Before Women Had Wings" in the late '90s, and the powerful effect it had on me. Connie grew up with alcoholics who physically and verbally abused her, like her mother and grandmother before her. She continues the cycle of violence when she lets an alcoholic and abusive man into her life. Despite Connie's intelligence and education, she cannot break the cycle until she adopts a dog who eventually gives her the courage to get o ...more
Therese
I feel like a monster, but I didn't like the woman telling this story. I mean, maybe that was the POINT. A woman who stays in a terribly abusive relationship, raised around abusive people, she doesn't like herself, so why would I? I just became so grinding, so quickly. Him treating her horridly and her taking it. Which was is likely a very truthful telling of what it's like to have an abusive boyfriend, but that doesn't make it rewarding to read.
A side note, I did some fevered research to identi
Kelley
This was a touching and harrowing story of a young woman in an abusive relationship with a much older man. Her mother, grandmother and great grandmother also lived this way and she knows no other life. To witness her overcome her self hatred and make a better life for herself is inspiring. At the heart of her story is a dog who makes her stand up and protect herself. It is her memoir and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
PacaLipstick Gramma
This gifted author is the survivor of a horrendously abusive childhood that continued into young adulthood. A testament to the perseverance of the will to survive, and to eventually escape. Her personal background gives new meaning to "Before Women Had Wings". This was a deeply moving profound book which strikes resonance with victim/survivors of alcoholic, abusive, and violent pasts. ~♥toni~
Anna
I have not thought of this book in a very long time, but it is such a good memoir. It makes my eyes tear just thinking about it. It is about a woman who is in an incredibly abusive relationship and how her dog saved her life. I love dogs. Love, love, love them. I can see how someone could lean on a dog in a time of extreme pain. They are the most wonderful animals.
Krisitna Allen
The book was good. I dont like the way the author writes. I lke the story and that she shared her life with others in the same situation. I understand her emotions and the the way she felt. I will never understand why she waited so long to do the right thing. I believe she had so many chances to do the right thing but did not.
Patrick Ross
This memoir by Vermont College of Fine Arts MFA instructor Fowler is one of the reasons I chose to attend the program. She does a masterful job of helping understand how the narrator can tolerate such a horrifyingly abusive relationship. There are still moments in that book that haunt me, two years after reading it.
Lianne
Really poignant memoir - touching, sad, uplifting all at the same time. The story of an abused woman who left the violence. I had the opportunity to meet Connie May Fowler, and it is amazing to see her now - so full of life, it's hard to imagine she was ever in such an awful situation.
Diana
I really liked this book- it's hard enough having lived a life surrounded by alcoholics but reading about someone else with the same experience opens up a whole new perspective to it. I really enjoy her writing and confidence but I wish she'd taken a little more time to end this one!
Candice
This book was such an eye-opener for me. I was truly ignorant of why women chose to stay with their abusive partners. This book introduced me to a completely different perspective.

Very well written, I HIGHLY recommend this book.
Kate Leckel

Read in one day. Memoir of an abuse survivor...frustrating because I spent most of the book wanting to drop kick the guy and her mother in the face but that's how it goes..
Dawn
A hard book to get through due to the topic of physical and emotional abuse, but inspiring. Loved how the dog katie helped Connie make it though her horrific relationship.
Heidi
Stories of abuse are always sad & difficult. Connie was a strong woman & was eventually able to leave her abuser with her loving dog at her side.
Jb
I'm big fan of this writer. She from the South and her words put me back there - in all the good and bad ways it touched me.
Maureen
The author writes with such honesty about her life. It was an amazing book and a very easy read. I highly recommend it.
Amy
At first I didn't think I would be able to get through this book, but I was glad I stuck with it until the end!
Lynlie Cottrell
Jun 25, 2007 Lynlie Cottrell added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a memoir lover
Sad and disturbing account of a woman's abusive childhood and relationship. Strong language
Love
Did not really get hooked like I did with her first book I read...Before Women Had Wings.
Kelsi Goon
This book is really touching. I really liked the dog.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Sarah Everly
Sarah Everly marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • Saved From Silence
  • Mother of Sorrows
  • Strange Piece of Paradise
  • Living by the Word
Before Women Had Wings Remembering Blue The Problem with Murmur Lee Sugar Cage How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly