Start by marking “So You Call Yourself A Man” as Want to Read:
So You Call Yourself A Man

So You Call Yourself A Man (Church #2)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  2,486 ratings  ·  145 reviews
The acclaimed national bestselling author of such smart, sexy novels as The Preacher's Son and Player Haters returns with a tale of three best friends who've grown from boys to men together.
But now that they're each either married or about to be, they're coming up against some of the real tests of manhood- James Robinson and his wife, Cathy, have had their rough patches.
Published December 1st 2006 by Dafina (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about So You Call Yourself A Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You Call Yourself A Man

Waking with Enemies by Eric Jerome DickeyDying for Revenge by Eric Jerome DickeySleeping with Strangers by Eric Jerome DickeyChasing Destiny by Eric Jerome DickeyThe Other Woman by Eric Jerome Dickey
Books by Alphas
15th out of 90 books — 13 voters
Wuthering Heights by Emily BrontëA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books With Multiple Perspectives
171st out of 383 books — 191 voters

More lists with this book...

Exceptionally deceptive and beautiful. This is without question one of the top books I have read this year.He really did put a spin on an old trick. Something we thought we were all used to lies and cheating and accidental babies.. but all with such a twist that will shock you right out of your pants.. lol. I truly truly enjoyed this story. This is something that happens everyday if people would just open their eyes.. Yes, its right in front of you but we all try to deny it.We got to here the Ma ...more
All I can say about this book is : Oh my dam!!!! This book is about three male friends that have grown up together. They are all married or in serious relationships and we get to see the twists and turns that life hands us in romantic relationships. I will say this book is full of surprises and will literally have you with your mouth hanging open at the end. Prepare to expect the unexpected! I can't say anymore without giving spoilers.
So You Call Yourself a Man tells the story of three lifelong friends, James, Brent and Sonny, and the up and downs of everyday life. One friend had an extramarital affair that ended years ago, or so he thought. Another seems to have it all: looks, a good job and a wife who loves him unconditionally. But this picture seems too perfect. The other friend has a wife and two kids, until she takes off suddenly. Is there more to her leaving that he's letting on? James, Brent and Sonny's proble
Sheila Jackson
OMG! This book took me through twist and turns with these three friends. Sonny was crazy and obessed. James should have just talked with his wife, instead of all that sneaking he was doing to keep his secret from Cathy (His Wife). And Brent, he was just messed up, I hated what happened to him in the end, but you can't play around with someone's heart and not feel the backlash from it.

All I can say is that you need to read this book. Because it was some things in it that I didn't expect.

Awesome C
Tamela Cozart
I think this book was filled with just enough drama to keep you guessing. I am an author (check out Un-Equally Yoked by Tamela Cozart Tucker) and I can say that Carl Weber definitely inspired me. I can easily see his book being a made for tv movie. We could use a Lifetime for African American genre. I totally did not see the Sonny storyline and that is what I like the most about Carl. He keeps you shocked!
Nasir Venable
So You Call Yourself A Man by Car Weber is a drama novel about three best-friends, James, Brent, and Sonny. James is seven years into his marriage with his wife Cathy and things are getting better than ever. But when James and Cathy got into their feuds James needed desire and he found it in Michelle, a usual "delivery" on his UPS route. Consequently, that affair developed a baby and now Michelle is going to make James's life hell.

On the other hand, Brent and Alison are the quintessence of marri
Eva Leger
Mar 08, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eva by: Bernice
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
WOW~ To think, I may have continued putting off reading any of Carl Weber's books because I wasn't sure what to expect if not for a friend! I honestly was expecting Weber's books to be a little more romance oriented than I like so, even though I've picked a few up over the years, I hadn't actually read any of them.... until now.
This is officially one of my favorite books. And this is one of those books you can't streamline into one genre. Almost any fiction lover would like or love this book -
I honestly expected NOT to like this book, but I have to honestly admit I had a hard time putting it down. The plot was really engaging and the characters were believable. The author actually manages to insert a plot twist, which is REALLY hard to pull off seamlessly in a book, but I got it. There are three very different friends who experience three very different hardships in three VERY different relationships. All of which could probably happen to a man that you or I know. As they go through ...more
Jun 15, 2008 Belinda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Belinda by: My sister-in-law
Shelves: african-american
While reading this book, I found myself more drawn into a certain character's story over another's; and wanted to skip to the next chapter involving that character(Although, I never did.) When I finished the book I felt that the entire book was entertaining and funny. This is a book you have to read!!!
Carl Weber

Connect with me on Facebook.

Check out all my interviews and trailers on.
Wow. When I first read it, I thought it would be typical. Once I got to the end, wow. So many twists and turns, right up til the last page!
This is the first Carl weber book I have ever read and fell in love with not only the book but him love it love it
Weber hasn't disappointed me yet. I can always count on an excellent storyline and believable characters whenever I pick up his books.

In SO YOU CALL YOURSELF A MAN, he showcases how much farther his talent for writing has come.

How well do you know your friends? James Robinson, Brent Williams, and Sonny Harrison have known each other their entire lives, but that still has no bearing on the secrets they have kept from each other.

James has a secret that can potentially tear his family apart. But t
Autumn El
So You Call Yourself a Man is about 3 lifetime friends that have to deal with the good and bad of everyday life. James In the book had an affair with a woman while having problems with his wife. He thought it was over until one day he gets a call that changed his life, the woman he cheated with had a baby, and it’s his. Sonny is an obsessed, controlling man. His wife left him without anyone knowing why, and none of his friends knew the real him until Brent ran into her while at a store. She told ...more
This book is a prime example of why Carl Weber is one of my favorite authors. His flow of storytelling is absolutely paced in such a way that I visualize the scenes while I read.

James, Sonny, and Brent were three lifelong friends who knew each other well but the story begs the question "how well can you really know anyone"?

Cathy, Jessica, Michelle, and Allison were the women in their lives. Each life is significantly changed by the action of their men. Book is a good read with unsuspecting sur
Denise Gilliam
This book was really good from start to finish. I started this book last night and finished today. Carl Weber did not disappoint me at all. This book was good it showed different aspects of relationship and what will happened. The plots through out the book was amazing. Carl Weber can really deliver a story. Now to start the next book of the series. 5 star read..
Carl Weber is a talented writer. It was the content of the story I had issues with. Brent, James and especially Sonny were some of the most selfish, destructive characters I have read about in a long time! My negative response is the result of the great writing! The characters were very, very real and their actions ....well you have to read it for yourself.
Hazel Shorter

This was a genuine page turner...The first few chapters were a little slow but it begin to heat up and never turned back. I enjoyed it. Carl Weber is quite awesome writer
Never read a novel of this type before so it took a while to get used to the style but once you get into it is hard to put down.

The plot twist, although sometimes a little too convenient, are well paced and nicely spaced out. I like how the character development happens mostly through the other character's observing them which is how it is in the real world.

The only dislike I had about this book was that time passes in odd gaits and you often have to turn back a bit to figure out exactly where
i am not a real big carl weber fan. he dosent excite me much as the other authors do. he tries but the pen game is not his. he needs to give it up.
My absolute favorite! I read it in 2 hours and passed it to my daughter who read it straight through as well. She gave it to a neighbor who couldn't put it down either. 1 book, 3 readers, 1 day!!!!
Mia Williams
What a good read! I had never read any of his books and I am pleasantly pleased!!! It had me on edge& the surprises were unexpected, yet a great twist to the story! A new favorite author for me!
Firstlady Wilson

This book was a great read!! Endings unfolded very unexpectedly! Is there a sequel to this book because it's good!!
Jessica Bogan
It's this crazy cool ride then all of sudden your flying in this hot mess of crazy rachet mess and your now in love! Excellent book!
Kimberly Elliott
Wow. This was an awesome book. It def keeps you guessing. There were a lot if twists to the story that you never see coming
Jul 04, 2015 Sylvia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
Carl Weber is amazing his endings are unlike anything I have ever read because the endings are so unexpected. He is an excellent writer!
Three best friends loyalty are put to the test and can their friendship survive anything?
Hate the fact that I borrowed this book instead of buying it.... great read
Raps Chouloute
One of the best books I ever read. The ending blew my mind!
  • He's Just a Friend (Soulmates Dissipate, #3)
  • Love & Lies (Reverend Curtis Black, #4)
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
  • I Say a Little Prayer
  • Naughty or Nice
  • Shoulda Woulda Coulda
Carl Weber is a New York Times and #1 Essence bestselling novelist.

In addition to his writing, Weber is the founder and publisher of Urban Books and in 2005, he was named Blackboard's Publisher of the Year. He is the owner of the Urban Knowledge chain of book stores and a past recipient of Blackboard's Bookseller of the Year award.

Weber graduated from Virginia State University and holds an MBA in