I Was Vermeer: The Legend Of The Forger Who Swindled The Nazis

I Was Vermeer: The Legend Of The Forger Who Swindled The Nazis

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  50 reviews
I Was Vermeer Tells the story of Han van Meegeren, a second-rate painter who became the world's greatest art forger. His canvases would almost certainly be prized among the catalogue of Vermeers if he had not confessed. His handiwork is suspected in at least four Vermeers in major galleries. Full description
Hardcover
Published August 7th 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

To ask other readers questions about I Was Vermeer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Was Vermeer

Mike
Jun 30, 2012 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I don’t know how much of the truth was ever revealed by the man who fooled experts and collectors for decades, but it was a lively, engaging story. Han van Meegeren may have been placed into that perfect span of years when a person with certain skills and knowledge could effectively create paintings that the world accepted as 17th Century Dutch.

What follows is a synopsis of some of this book. I suppose that it could be considered a “spoiler”, but in this c...more
Tim Hulsizer
Jul 27, 2010 Tim Hulsizer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art nerds
This enjoyable tale chronicles the life and times of Han van Meegeren, a Dutch art forger who taught himself to create authentic old style oil paints using "ingredients" they used in Vermeer's time. He also created his own ovens to help bake the paintings to produce the craquelure (cracked texture) of old paintings. He was so good that certain of his paintings are still believed to be genuine despite his protestations, and other acknowledged Vermeers are under suspicion despite his denials. He w...more
Eileen Phillips
Apr 29, 2008 Eileen Phillips rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people into art forgery, or art, or Dutch history
Shelves: history, biography
I. Love. Art. Forgery.
I love it! I may obsess over it for a while!
Actually, I'm probably going to try to get ahold of a copy of Drawn to Trouble by Eric Hebborn, which is an autobiographical account of his art forgering exploits. I also have to get ahold of a dvd of Incognito which was what lit the spark of attraction between me & art forgery to begin with, waaaay back, sometime in the 90's.
Anyway! Enough of the geek-out. I liked this book a lot. It was delicious & I ate it up.
Tim
"I was Vermeer" tells a fascinating story entertainingly, albeit with a small but detectable admixture of sloppy writing.

The story is that of a Dutch painter who became an enormously successful forger. He made millions (whatever currency you're counting in). The climax of the book (if climax isn't too purple a word) sees our anti-hero facing comeuppance.

Frank Wynne focuses rather too much for my taste on giving us a flavour of the techniques Van Meegeren, the quasi-eponymous forger, used to pas...more
Alexandra
A fascinating story -- easy to read about a forger who created "seventeenth century" Vermeers. Interesting science about how he tried to do it getting original seventeenth century canvasses and in the chaos of the war period critics believed they were genuine. A good book for anyone interested in art/art history/art process.
Chelsea
I really oscillated between annoyance with this guy (he could be SUCH a pretentious, arrogant, selfish jackass!) and actually kind of admiring him. I think it's kind of funny that he was able to so successfully pull one over on all these art critics. Personally, I think that if he was THAT skilled, not just artistically, but technically as well, that his works are actually more impressive than the originals. I'm not saying Vermeer wasn't talented (I am quite fond of Girl with a Pearl Earring), b...more
Julia Boechat Machado
Antes de contar a história de van Mergeerer, Wynne enumera os estereótipos sobre falsário. Contraditoriamente, ele cai nesses estereótipos logo em seguida.
Visible Order
Van Meegeren didn't just forge Vermeers, he forged Vermeers really badly. Apparently very much on purpose. Look at the forgeries and decide for yourself. It looks like he intentionally set out to put egg on the faces of Europe's art world. The title could just as accurately have been, "I Hacked Europe's Art World and Lived Very High on the Hog While Getting Away With It". Anthropology at its finest. After you have read this book, you will be in a much better position to judge whether all those p...more
Harriet
I didn't think it would hold my interest but it did. I found the technical aspects fascinating, how he was able to achieve the pigments that were the same as Vermeer used. The challenge of ageing the canvas so it defied the swabbing test it would be subjected to. Han spent a lot of research developing the niche his Vermeers would fill as well as finding appropriate old canvases to use to work on. What I find surprising is to me I agree with Han's son, his religious paintings have elongated heads...more
Dan
In 1945, in the waning days of the second World War, a cache of paintings was discovered in an abandoned salt mine in Austria. They were artworks that the occupying German forces plundered for the personal collection of the Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering. One of them was a signed painting by Vermeer, a priceless work by one of the greatest Dutch painters of all time. The sale of this national treasure to the Nazis was traced to an obscure painter and art dealer named Han Van Meegeren, who was a...more
Carl Rollyson
Art history is a matter of provenance; art collecting an affair of prestige. Commerce in art is the ineluctable confluence of provenance and prestige. Han van Meegeren (1889–1947), a talented painter who despised the work of modernists such as Picasso, understood that he could only succeed as an artist by obliterating himself and becoming his 17th-century avatar, Vermeer.

To Han, as Frank Wynne calls him throughout this lively biography, "I Was Vermeer: The Rise and Fall of the Twentieth Century'...more
Beth Rosen
This is a super fun book. I loved all the technical details about how to convincingly fake a 17th century painting. It has a lot of cynical philosophy about how and why some works are called "great art", the random power of art critics, and how forgeries are detected, all of which I really enjoyed. Han Van Meegeren is a fascinating, not completely likable person, but the story moves along quickly and the period details are never dull.
Sara
Mar 16, 2008 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art lovers, anyone who loves a good attempt at a complicated hoax
Recommended to Sara by: Andrew
Shelves: nonfiction, history, art
This true story of Han van Meegeren, a Dutch forger creating and selling "genuine" Vermeers in the 1930s and 40s makes a great book jacket summary. That's what drew me in. The writing is good and there are glossy illustrations so readers can see Vermeers and van Meegerens side by side.

The book jacket summary sketches out the arc of the story, but for me, the actual text didn't really match up. The agonizing decision to admit to forgery seemed to come pretty easily and things wrapped up pretty q...more
V. Briceland
Wynne's fast-moving account of Han van Meegeren, the Dutch forger who made a fortune forging Vermeer paintings, is paced like a thriller and steeped in art world lore. Despite the book's briskness, Wynne manages to address a good many questions about the nature of art itself, the 'reality' of its authorship, and the emotional ways in which its owners and admirers become attached. The book could've done with a few plates of the works in question, but that omission doesn't detract from a fun, inte...more
PC
Great book - usually I don't go for non-fiction in specialized subject matter, but this was a great read. Wynne has really done his research, and he includes many factoids on forgery along with the major narrative of Van Meergeren's life. His writing is fast-paced but never sacrifices detail. It's interesting to consider how subjective art really is, and how hypocritical the art world can be - I went to the Natl Gallery to look at the 5 Vermeers displayed there, and I couldn't stop thinking abou...more
Harish Puvvula
Utterly fascinating biography of Han Van Meegeren.
Susan
Too bad there aren't more true Vermeers....
Abbey
Self-promoting and a bragging tone spoil much of the book, but I loved it when he sold fakes to the Nazis.

UPDATE:

Oh, no!! According to "The Man Who Made Vermeers: Unvarnishing the Legend of Master Forger" - I completely fell for the myth that Han van Meegeren sold a painting to Goering as a way to mock the Nazis. He was a complete con man, unable to tell the truth even in his autobiographical details that were supposedly tell-all.
Melissa
I found this book fascinating. It is definitely a case of the truth being more interesting than fiction. It also helps that I live in the Netherlands and have spent a lot of time in many of the places and museums mentioned. It amazes me that Han van Meergeren's forged paintings are still hanging on museum walls and I now look forward to visiting the Rijksmuseum to see them myself.
Akin
Fascinating! An enthralling read. Not sure if he was the 20th century's greatest forger - the honours for that really belong to Dali - but this tale of the forger's disillusionment, pride, avarice and talent is excellent. Of course, it is also somewhat topical now - I understand that there is a book about some woman with a pearl earring or necklace...
Jennifer Failla
I am always amazed at the level of self-sanctification some individuals will justify in order to rise in their field of "expertise." Interesting read highlighting the ignorance of the art world for the sake of self preservation.
Lexi
Fascinating account of famed Vermeer forger Han van Meegeren. The book starts off slowly, with perhaps a bit too much time spent on van Meegeren's early life, but the payoff comes later with van Meegeren's progression from promising young artist to forger to war criminal to national hero. Definitely worth reading.
Aaminah
I've nearly finished this and feel quite bored of it, despite initially finding the subject matter fascinating. Like Han, I have lost enthusiasm for spending time on his forgeries. Update - never bothered with the last ten pages. The author is very talented at making something interesting seem so dull.
Converse
How the Dutch artist Hans van Meegeren passed off a number of his paintings as Vermeers and fooled many an expert into recommending their purchase. He was active, in this sense, in the 1930s and 1940s. As I recall, he apparently demonstrated his technique during his trial in the late 1940s.
Sue Lipton
I think it would have been better to have read this one prior to "The Art Forger"
Karen
Fascinating true story of art forging. Explains in detail the process of making a painting appear old and pass the analysis. Makes you wonder what else is fake in museums and no one knows... Very good details of Holland at the time of WWII and the art world.
Meg
I keep meaning to return to this book. I read it so fast, I can't remember exactly how it happened...all I can remember is thinking, "Really? These pieces of crap passed for Vermeers? People are retarded!" This will be a Damforst book club recommend!
Cynthia
It takes talent to take a topic this interesting and turn it into a book this boring. To be honest, I could only make it through the first couple chapters but it was so poorly written and so plodding and full of so much boring detail that I couldn't go on.
Lisa
I don't read a lot of non-fiction that isn't a "how-to" book, but I did enjoy this one. Vermeer is my favorite painter, and this is the first book I've ever found that discussed his techniques at any length, even if they were used by a forger.
Gali
Large portions of the book were quite interesting but the author presented most of the action through Han's thoughts and actions without every citing any sources or stating just what he was basing these statements on.
  • Museum of the Missing: A History of Art Theft
  • Stealing Rembrandts: The Untold Stories of Notorious Art Heists
  • Stealing the Mystic Lamb: The True Story of the World's Most Coveted Masterpiece
  • The Art Detective: Fakes, Frauds, and Finds and the Search for Lost Treasures
  • The Medici Conspiracy: The Illicit Journey of Looted Antiquities--From Italy's Tomb Raiders to the World's Greatest Museums
  • Loot: The Battle over the Stolen Treasures of the Ancient World
  • Old Masters, New World: America's Raid on Europe's Great Pictures
  • The Rape of Europa: The Fate of Europe's Treasures in the Third Reich and the Second World War
  • The Irish Game
  • Vanished Smile: The Mysterious Theft of Mona Lisa
  • The Gardner Heist
  • The Art of the Steal
  • Provenance: How a Con Man and a Forger Rewrote the History of Modern Art
  • Hot Art: Chasing Thieves and Detectives Through the Secret World of Stolen Art
  • Chasing Aphrodite: The Hunt for Looted Antiquities at the World's Richest Museum
  • Lizzie Siddal
  • The Crimes of Paris: A True Story of Murder, Theft,  and Detection
Frank Wynne was born in 1962 and grew up in Strandhill, Co. Sligo. His father - with T R Henn and others - was among the founding members of the Yeats Summer School in Sligo in 1959, and was President of the school until his death. Through the Summer School, Wynne was introduced to literary figures (whose lectures he recorded with a tape recorder), among them Richard Ellmann and Seamus Heaney
He wa...more
More about Frank Wynne...
The Making Of "Tank Girl" Watakushi Wa Ferumēru: 20seiki Saidai No Gansaku Jiken Massacre Basin Sweeny's Honour Ripper