Start by marking “Scarlet and the White Wolf (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet and the White Wolf (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #1)

Scarlet and the White Wolf (Scarlet and the White Wolf #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,173 ratings  ·  158 reviews
Scarlet of Lysia is an honest peddler, a young merchant traveling the wild, undefended roads to support his aging parents. Liall, called the Wolf of Omara, is the handsome, world-weary chieftain of a tribe of bandits blocking a mountain road that Scarlet needs to cross. When Liall jokingly demands a carnal toll for the privilege, Scarlet refuses and an inventive battle of ...more
Published (first published June 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet and the White Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarlet and the White Wolf

Pickles
Years ago I read a fanfic for one of my favorite anime couples. It was a historical M/M romance and it might as well have been an original piece of fiction because the author took the characters to a whole new level. In this fanfic, which I’ll readily admit was probably the best I’ve read to date, the characters never shared any kind of physical intimacy, not even a kiss. Some people might lament the fact that there wasn’t any sex, but it was so well-written, the sexual tension so palpable, and ...more
Karen
Hey there Little Red Riding Hood...
You sure are looking good
You're everything that a big bad wolf could want...

Well of course this song came to mind for me. Come on now...tell me you're surprised? I mean really we have a cute guy, named Scarlet, in a red hooded coat who travels through the woods...ok, he kind of travels all over the place he's a peddler and we have a big, hunky, aggressive, use to getting his own way bad guy...but not really who people refer to as a wolf but in fact goes by th
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
There's a reason why I waited to read this book... I'm stupid!!!

I am probably loving this book a bit more than it's rationally justifiable, because there is something about the world Scarlet lives in that is eluding me and there are things about Scarlet's parents that weren't perfectly consistent, in my opinion, but when I re-read it, I will probably clear my head about it.

I can't let go of this picture of Scarlet in my mind, of this slender, beautiful, brave, confused young man in the red-coat
Lola
I found it hard to really get into the story at the beginning but, when Scarlet met the White Wolf, I got hooked and couldn't stop reading.
It was predictable but yet so beautiful and remarkably memorable. I really want to know what is going to happen next, you damn cliffhanger. :)

I LOVED IT!

Ilhem
The Pedlar and the Brigand King is a tale that succeeds in entertaining the reader with otherworldly adventures where deep characterization has no part to play, certainly, but which offers interesting characters who fulfil their function to mirror human weaknesses.

The author builds an extremely rich world of kingdoms and people I still need to become familiar with but I liked feeling slightly disoriented; it’s part of the game, after all!
I enjoyed the story that may be without big surprise but p
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I'm writing this review after I've read Scarlet and the White Wolf for the third time. To say I enjoyed this story even more this last re-read is an understatement.

I loved Scarlet and his pride and Liall and his games. The fact that both of them can't help but desire each other, even with Scarlet in denial, made the story all the better. Especially since Scarlet has been searching for something for such a long time and doesn't realize until almost too late that Liall is what he's looking for.

I l
Lilia Ford
This is a very strong beginning to the series. The world-building is especially good, with an intriguing mix of races and cultures, and tons of political conflicts between them. I especially admired the movement between city, rural village and the gypsy like encampment. Scarlet and Liall are terrific as the leads. The series of encounters with Scarlet trying to evade Liall's toll was one of the more original and satisfying meet-cutes I've found in a fantasy series. The author creates a great ten ...more
Darkm
This book is brilliant.
The author has created an interesting world, and from the first few pages I was completely enthralled.
Scarlet is a great character, young and full of passion inside, but still smart and level headed on the outside. He's young in the story, but has worked since he was fourteen, and we have the image of a young man that's both still innocent and naive, and not at all.
The Wolf is another great character, full of mysteries that still have to be revealed.
What I appreci
M'rella
Just finished re-reading and loved it as much as the first time, maybe even more so, because the second time brings out the details that I didn't think significant before.
Moving onto book 2.
Xing
"Deception," Fate said. "Be on your guard. You will be told a lie or you will fall in love with one, and you will follow it to the ends of the earth."

I've read The Pedlar and the Bandit King years ago, right about when I started my entry into M/M fiction. In the almost-three years since then, I've revisited this book several times, I can say for certainty that this series still holds a dear place in my literary heart. Yet for some reason of insanity, I haven't written a review. So here's me, and
Elizabetta

This is a clever, very loose, reinterpretation of the Red Riding Hood fairytale but with a young man named Scarlet as the lead character. Like Little Red, Scarlet (an odd name for man) feels the lure of adventure, of breaking away from the home hearth to dare into dangers of the world. And he meets his big bad wolf in the guise of a mysterious leader named Liall.

I want this to be all about the beautiful Scarlet hooking up with the virile Liall, but the author insists on building a rich, compelli
Em
I've been wanting to start Scarlet and the White Wolf for a long time and not really sure why I waited so long. The series gets off to a great start, the world-building is exceptionally good, I love all the little details and the main characters Liall and Scarlet are going to be fantastic together, I just know it.

There's not much romance in this book, it's more of a slow building sexual tension between Liall and Scarlet but I have a feeling that's going to change in Mariner's Luck. Well I hope
Alex Alden
My goodness, this author is in love with info-dumps. You could have deleted 70% of this book and all that would have been left would have been story; it would have been a huge improvement. Every time something was starting to happen, some exciting event or interesting conversation, everything would grind to a halt so we could have 5 pages of info-dumping.

I wanted to like this book, I really did because I love fantasy and finding m/m fantasy that's half decent is so unbelievably hard. This was no
amelia cavendish
I loved this book! The strapline is 'A romantic retelling of a classic fairytale...' in truth, the story only has one scene that comes from Little Red Riding Hood and of course, Scarlet wears a red coat but that's where the similarities end. Set on the southern continent of Nemerl, Scarlet makes his trade and supports his family, as a pedlar. He mets Liall the Wolf at a toll road, Liall and his band of bandits are holding. Liall asks for a kiss as the toll, Scarlet refuses and a battle of wills ...more
Dreamer
Really enjoyed this m/m fantasy story. Kirby Crow is a talented author, great characterisation and world-building.
'"I know thee," Liall whispered urgently. It felt like all of his heart was pouring out into these few short words, yearning hungrily toward Scarlet like a flower does toward the sun..'
Leanne
I can't believe it took me so long to grab this one. Loved everything about it- the world building, the MC's, wonderfully rich and real characters. The snark, delicious chemistry and just the right amount of angst/hurt comfort.
Holding back on the fifth star 'till I've finished the series.
Bookwatcher
cliffhanger, this book haz it

NOW that it finished the adventure will start!

5 stars, can't give less
Barbara
Scarlet and the White Wolf, at the beginning was pretty boring and I couldn't get into it. There were used many new words without explanation, so it didn't help with understanding the story.

But then, something has changed. We got to know Liall and suddenly, also the main character, Scarlet has become different. I loved reading the banter between them and I impatiently waited to see how their story was going to end.

Overall, it's an interesting fantasy story (I won't say "well-written", because so
Amara
Need.More.Stars. MORE! Loved it!

Review to follow.

Updated:
Upon finishing this book, my initial thoughts were... I need more stars to rate it properly!

I really loved this one. Scarlet was such a wonderful character, he won my heart very early on. And Liall... OhMY! How much do I love Liall?! I want to keep him for my very own!

This was my third time reading Kirby Crow. Kirby's writing just knocks my socks right off. So vivid, so packed full of emotion, just so all around fabulous. With this book
Sue
The whole Scarlet and the White Wolf series is, without doubt, one of my favourites.
The world-building is excellent and the characters great. From page 1 I really loved Scarlet, and wanted to follow him wherever he went and whatever happened to him.
Lyall happens. And yeah, I love him too, but Scarlet is without doubt the character that talks to me most. I love his spirit, the fact that his race, the Hilurin, are small; that he is pretty rather than handsome as they're not a hairy race. He lacks
G.B. Gordon
Whoa.

It doesn't happen very often anymore that I can just lose myself in a book without judging everything I've learned to care so much about - style, plot, characters - you name it. And so, when, I started this one, the virtual red pencil came out quickly, marking typos, striking out over-explanations, info dump, and narrator comment, right on the first few pages.

I'm not quite sure what happened after that. Somewhere between page 20 and 50 the story found its stride, its voice. It grabbed me by
Don Bradshaw
This was an excellent beginning to what should be a terrific series. The world building was awesome and never really ends. Scarlet and Liall are perfect foils and their relationship keeps changing throughout the story. I loved the adventure that drew me in from page one and carried me right to the last page. I don't know why I didn't read this epic fantasy sooner but it was well worth the wait.
TL
Jul 05, 2014 TL rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Lola
Shelves: favorites
Thank you Lola for turning me onto this :)

This was a wonderful book, I quickly fell in love with the characters and atmosphere... the story starts out a bit slow but it sets everyone up quite nicely. You get a feel for the town, the krait and everyone who lives there.. .a feel for their history and their way of life.

The narrative picks up once Liall and Scarlet meet, their banter and Scarlet's attempts to bargain with Liall are both at times frustrating and mostly hilarious.

I love how Kirby Crow
Thibaut Nicodème
Review edited on 27/2/2014

Did not finish this book.

Being gay, or accepting of queer people in general, is not an excuse for misogyny. I say it when bloggers like Perez Hilton sexually harass an actress claiming "I'm gay so it's okay" and I'll say it when a book is riddled with too much misogyny for my brain to process.

It's one thing to enforce gender roles in a society inspired by our own. It's another to create a society from scratch where polygamy is allowed, and each "wife" is essentially a s
Alaina
At times funny and at others tragic, this book marks the beginning of Scarlet, the young peddler's journey toward the realization and reconciliation of his own desires in the face of an insular, tradition-bound and dying culture. Marked for luck, and emboldened by the wilding, a sort of wanderlust, Scarlet does not know what he seeks in his constant movement along trade routes, only that he can't find it at home. When challenged to pay a demeaning toll by Liall, the white haired gypsy bandit, Sc ...more
Nicole
Surprisingly light-hearted, considering the supposed backdrop of rape and genocide. The book read a little like a farce with a romance thrown in, and I really enjoyed it. If you focus too much on the genocide and rape, the tone is way off. But this book certainly doesn't start out about that. It just starts off as a bit of a riff on a fable and a coming-of-age story. By the end, the tone gets darker as reality sets in.

Overall, I was very pleased with this story. The editing was no better nor wo
Serith
I feel extremely lucky to have stumbled across this book. It has everything that I look for in a series; passion, action, drama, fluff, light comedy, and even a powerful reference. The way Kirby built her characters around little red and the big bad wolf was a treat.

I was sucked into the emotions and felt the weight of a shift in mood. The contrast between scenes had me laughing out loud one moment, and stiff with anticipation the next. My heart sank when it was supposed to and I was thrown off
Jen

A creative retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood."

If you're not a fan of historicals, the prose will be boring to you, but I enjoyed it. I thought the writing was decent.

I LOVED Liall (the Wolf) - sexy and honorable. Scarlet was young, brash, proud, and even bratty at times, but he starts to grow up at the end.

There wasn't much to the plot, though. It was pretty much... Scarlet goes into the woods. Doesn't get past the bandits. Goes home, tries again. Someone gets thrashed in the woods
Nikki
Scarlet and the White Wolf caught my attention when a review popped up on my feed because it's an LGBT retelling of a fairytale -- something I'm always interested in. That aspect is actually the least part of it: the references to the fairytale are there, in both obvious ways -- especially one particular scene -- and more subtly, with the themes/purpose of the fairytale playing out in the background. But there's also a lot of world-building.

In some ways, there's almost too much world-building. W
Keziah Wallis
Different from the usual fantasy series, it was good to read a book where the main couple were homosexual but without the graphic erotica that seems to be a staple of all gay romance novels. Scarlet and the White Wolf falls more within the fantasy genre than the romance genre, although the writing does have that romance feel to it. The world of Nemerl is an interesting combination of races that feel almost like those of our own world and yet not. The Hilurin, like Scarlet, are almost an Hindu ty ...more
The Backlot Gay B...: Scarlet and the White Wolf series by Kirby Crow 19 22 Feb 11, 2015 05:26PM
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1)
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • Strange Fortune
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • A Strong and Sudden Thaw (A Strong and Sudden Thaw, #1)
  • The God Eaters
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Truth in the Dark
  • Cethe
  • The Cat in the Cradle (Loka Legends, #1)
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • Snowflakes and Embers
Kirby Crow worked as an entertainment editor and ghostwriter for several years before happily giving it up to bake brownies, read yaoi, play video games, and write her own novels. Whenever she isn't slaying Orcs or flying a battleship for the glory of the Amarr Empire, she can be found in the kitchen, her vegetable garden, or at the keyboard, tapping away at her next book.

Kirby is a winner of the
More about Kirby Crow...

Scarlet and the White Wolf (5 books)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • The King of Forever (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #4)
  • The Temple Road (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #5)
Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2) The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3) Angels of the Deep Prisoner of the Raven Circuit Theory

“Liall realized that this was the first time he had really been alone with Scarlet.
He stood up and held out his hand. The blanket dropped from his shoulders. "Come here."
Scarlet reached out to him tentatively and Liall quickly dragged him into his arms. He fits there perfectly, Liall thought, snug if not a little small. Scarlet did not respond at first, as if he would pull away, and for a moment Liall believed he had made a huge mistake. Then, surprisingly, Scarlet sighed and his arms went around Liall's back. Scarlet turned his head to rest his cheek against Liall's bare chest as hey listened to the rain batten on the roof.
"Thank you for saving my life." Liall murmured.”
2 likes