Start by marking “Stick a Fork In It (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stick a Fork In It (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #2)
Preview

Stick a Fork In It (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop #2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  31 reviews
As a health inspector and former chef, Poppy Markham thought she’d seen it all—until she steps into Capital Punishment. The restaurant’s twisted concept—last meals of death row inmates—could be a hit only in outlandish Austin, Texas. But the macabre theme becomes all too real when co-owner Troy Sharpe is found dangling from a hangman’s noose in the cinder block dining room ...more
Published July 8th 2012 by Midnight Ink (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stick a Fork In It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stick a Fork In It

Dalene
What would be your last meal request? As one of the main ideas in the book besides the murder, this is just one of the humorous aspects of this book. I was able to receive this book through Netgalley and I chose it because it was a cozy mystery. This is one of the genres I wanted to read more of this year. I’m glad I requested this. It didn’t disappoint.

The author has all the makings of a great cozy mystery. A great sleuth, Poppy, who works for the county doing food inspections. A crazy mother-i
Sharon Redfern
Stick a Fork in It is the second book in the Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop series. Poppy is a former chef at her family’s restaurant and now works as a health inspector. In the course of her duties, she does the inspection for a new restaurant called Capital Punishment. The premise of the restaurant is that it will serve the last meals of famous killers. The owners of the place turn out to be old classmates of Poppy’s-twin brothers who were part of the in crowd and their partner who was one of the ...more
Nancy
Just a couple of weeks after the events of If You Can't Stand The Heat, Austin, TX health inspector Poppy Markham is inspecting a new restaurant under construction that has a rather macabre concept. The new eatery, which is called Capital Punishment, has the look and feel of a penitentiary (by design, that is, complete with electric chair) with the menu consisting of "last meals" of famous death-row inmates. With Capital Punishment weeks away from opening and a couple of unresolved issues, Popp ...more
Melinda Freeland
Jul 24, 2012 Melinda Freeland rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Austinites, lovers of cozy mysteries, readers who like humor in books!
Recommended to Melinda by: Myself! I enjoyed the first book in the series, "If You Can't Stand The Heat."
Author Robin Allen cooks up another savory delight readers will eat up in STICK A FORK IN IT, the second book in the series about Austin/Travis County health inspector Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop.

Enticing appetizers for cozy mystery connoisseurs are promptly served in Chapter One of this humorous, clean book, starting with the author’s great opening line and first paragraph.

“A couple of weeks ago, an employee at my father’s restaurant
tried to kill me by setting my bedroom on fire. … When that
Vickie Harrington
Stick a Fork in It.
This is the second installment in the Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop series. This book takes place shortly after the conclusion of the first book in the series, If You Can't Stand the Heat, and Poppy is still recovering from the attempt on her life.

Poppy finds herself conducting a pre-opening inspection for a new restaurant in Austin, “Capital Punishment.” The restaurant, which will serve the last meals of executed criminals, is operated by a trio of guys Poppy went to high sch
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Our favorite health inspector, Poppy Markham is on limited duty and finds herself assigned to inspect a new unopened restaurant...Capital Punishment. The decor and menu are still in flux but the concept is to honor persons last meals. Odd? This is Austin, TX.

To Poppy's shock, one of the owners dies by hanging....since he was a prankster, Poppy just has to find out if the death was intentional or an accident or...homicide?

The main determent in this book to me was the back and forth of Poppy's boy
Sandybear76
Poppy is inspecting a new restaurant with a hidden food theme concept. The new restaurateurs are twins from Poppy's high school and they were the stars of the football team but they know nothing about opening a new restaurant. Poppy must return again and again to inspect the new place. She watched the twins goof around and play pranks while she waits for them to fix the water and the sinks. When a prank goes awry, Poppy feels a bit responsible as she was a few minutes for an appt and feels that ...more
Holly
This is one of the best mysteries I have ever read kept me guessing till the end on who done it. Every time I think I have the person I'm wrong. Keep up the good work and can't wait for the next one. If this is the first one you read in the series you need to read the other one called If you can't stand the heat.She is a great author. I give 5 stars on this book.
Candace Davidson
This is the second book in this series. It was very funny. Poppy, the main character gets herself in a lot of sticky situations. I picked up the first book in the series. I am looking forward to reading it as well.
Cynthia Rielley
a great funny ride. Nice twists. full characters, enjoyable writing. Hoping for a third in the series.
Jamie Duffin
Fun easy read. The world of what goes on in the back of a restaurant makes this series interesting.
Peggy Hallinan
Fun, easy, breezy read. Characters are fairly well developed. Nice "potato chip" read. Recommended.
Julie
A fine romp. Robin Allen delivers in this most fun summer read.
Liz
Loved it like I loved the first one!
Jacqueline
Extra 1/2 star.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
A Solid 3.5 Cozy Read

Health Inspector and former Chef Poppy Markham is on lite duty at the Austin Health Department. She is still recovering from an injury that she sustained while solving the case of a murdered chef. Her stepsister Ursula was the police's prime suspect. Poppy proved her innocence of course. So on Memorial Day weekend, Poppy finds herself at the construction site of a new restaurant - Capital punishment. Their planned cuisine is to be the last meals of infamous death row killers
Ann
Poppy Markham is an inspector with the Austin Texas Health Department. She is assigned an inspection at Capital Punishment, a new restaurant that is designed on a prison and plans to feature the last meals of famous death row inmates. When she arrives to do the inspection, she finds that she knew the owners, twins Todd and Troy, from high school. Before they can open there are multiple problems to be taken care of but when Troy Sharpe is found dead by Poppy she wants to find out who did the crim ...more
Megargee
Too many leftovers from If You Can't Stand the Heat (which I gave a 3). I found the concept and the main characters difficult to swallow and I have too many more appetizing alternatives on my plate to continue with this entree.
Amanda
This is a fun series! I enjoyed getting to know Poppy better and the new twists this book threw bringing her ex back was unexpected and added good drama and angst. I've already started the third book cause I've got to know who she ends up with!
Oddmonster
As Marissa Lingen says, too much boyfriend, not enough roller derby.
Julie
As a "who done it" this book wasn't bad. I chose it for the unusual theme.
Toniehler
Enjoyed the body of the book but end took sort of a weird turn and left a sour taste in my mouth. A better ending would have resulted in a better rating. Felt like author wasn't sure whodunit either so went with less than interesting reasons why. Might have run out of time and words also. Still might go back and read the first book though.
Elizabeth
The second Poppy book finds her as a health inspector. She is to inspect a new restaurant called Capital Punishment. It's a take on death row and you can choose your last meal. However, someone was killed before their last meal. So pull your chair up and dig in to a fun mystery and see if the murderer will get his just desserts.
Judy
Once again a book well written. I thought I knew who did it but once again there was a twist. So enjoy reading these books. Can't wait to start the next book.
Carlin
I like this mystery series. But the love back story is (stories are?) pretty farfetched. Will Poppy end up with Jamie or Drew?
Jess
Aug 12, 2012 Jess marked it as did-not-finish
Just was not holding my attention at all even as a low commitment before bed read.
Tanya Cassingham
Very entertaining, smart but easy read. I'll probably read another in the series.
David Blaylock
Fun to read a story that takes place in your home town.
Christa
fast moving fluffy mystery. Great characters.
Sydney
Aug 03, 2012 Sydney marked it as to-read
Poppy Markham Culinary Cop
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • Boiled Over
  • Silent Knife (Celebration Bay, #2)
  • Immaculate Reception (Madeline Bean, #2)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • Grounds for Murder (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #2)
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • Hot Property
  • Intern With The Vampire (Vampire General #1)
  • The Long Stitch Good Night (An Embroidery Mystery, #4)
  • Murder in a Basket (India Hayes, #2)
  • Skating Over the Line (Rebecca Robbins, #2)
  • Untitled (A Booklover's Mystery, #4)
  • Antiques Disposal (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #6)
  • Plotting at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #3)
  • Deadline
  • A Harvest of Bones (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #4)
I am the author of the clean, humorous Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop mystery series that features an Austin, TX public health inspector and lots of behind-the-scenes information about the restaurant industry.

I hold a BA degree in English which qualifies me to work as the following: food server, cocktail waitress, bartender, barista, sales rep, marketing director, freelance writer, technical writer,
More about Robin Allen...

Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop (3 books)
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • Out of the Frying Pan (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #3)
If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1) Out of the Frying Pan (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #3)