Barefoot Soldier: A Story of Extreme Valour

Barefoot Soldier: A Story of Extreme Valour

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Born in 1979 in Grenada as one of eight children, Johnson Beharry lived in a two-bedroom hut, survived on meager meals of beans and rice, and walked barefoot to school. In 1999 he scraped together the airfare for England and joined the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. He served six months in Kosovo, three months in Northern Ireland, and then went to Iraq.InMay of2004, B...more
Published May 21st 2007 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 2006)

Velvetink
Yeah! I liked Johnson Beharry (Bee) very much. An unassuming likeable & simple guy who truly deserved his VC. Read it. Educational in that before this I had not known much about Grennada, in the Caribbean. A very accessible war biography.
Martin Patience
What an inspiring man, his story from beginning to current time - though I am sure there will be many more chapters to add in later years for this man, who I am sure will not stop trying.
chucklesthescot
May 04, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: war and true story readers
The story of the amazing bravery of a soldier under the most challenging circumstances imaginable.Seriously wounded in an ambush,this man though barely conscious managed to drive his vehicle away from the ambush,saving the rest of the squad from snipers.It was only then that his horrific injuries were seen.The true story of a man who won the Victoria Cross and is a true hero.
The parts of the book where he describes being part of the war on terror are gripping,exciting and downright scary.You fi...more
Angus Mcfarlane
I find serious military books hard to get into - the unexplained jargon and acronyms prevent me from getting the right pictures of what's going on, and the start of this was no exception. The early years of JB's life in Grenada was therefore a crucial part of the story for me, so that by the time the military details began in part 2, I was sufficiently engaged to enjoy the story. Nice to get an update on the real thing in contrast to the fictional accounts.
Tracy
Aug 22, 2013 Tracy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fav
This books inspirational. Everybody should read at least one book like this in their lifetime. Beharry's writing of his younger days is moving account of his early year and and the relationships that he hold dear.It gives a real essence of who he is. Johnson Beharry's story of courage is one that leave me filled with admiration for a brave man.
Laura Louise
This guy is one of many true heros and the first living recipient of the VC in over 30 years. A very moving account.
Catherine
I'm normally not a fan of biographies/autobiographies but this isn't bad. It's a good read
Bronwyn
An excellent biography of an honourable young man
Sneh
I am taking pride in the fact he is Bi-hari!
Bronwyn
Dec 15, 2011 Bronwyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Robert
Recommended to Bronwyn by: Gill Baker
Shelves: biography
This was a great book. On reflection, I think 3 things got Johnson through: values that he kept in the back of his mind, people that supported him, and the understanding that choices lead to consequences.
Agapito
Agapito marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Bri
Bri added it
Mar 18, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014