Start by marking “Barefoot Soldier” as Want to Read:
Barefoot Soldier

Barefoot Soldier

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Born in 1979 in Grenada as one of eight children, living in a two-bedroom hut, surviving on meagre meals of beans and rice and walking barefoot, three miles to school. At 13 Johnson Beharry quit school and worked as a decorator and labourer. In 1999 he scraped together the airfare for England and joined the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. He served six months in Kosovo ...more
Published May 21st 2007 by Sphere (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot Soldier

Velvetink
Yeah! I liked Johnson Beharry (Bee) very much. An unassuming likeable & simple guy who truly deserved his VC. Read it. Educational in that before this I had not known much about Grennada, in the Caribbean. A very accessible war biography.
Clare Farrelly
Jun 29, 2015 Clare Farrelly rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is so well and engagingly written I kept forgetting it was a true story. The I would realize that no one could write characters that were this real, and they were such complex peopel because they really were real.

The reason I haven't given it 5 stars is some of the people in it swore in about every sentence they spoke. (not the main character though. And there is also drinking and smoking and drugs in there but they are portrayed in a bad light, even though Johnson
Martin Patience
Dec 22, 2009 Martin Patience rated it it was amazing
What an inspiring man, his story from beginning to current time - though I am sure there will be many more chapters to add in later years for this man, who I am sure will not stop trying.
chucklesthescot
May 04, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: war and true story readers
The story of the amazing bravery of a soldier under the most challenging circumstances imaginable.Seriously wounded in an ambush,this man though barely conscious managed to drive his vehicle away from the ambush,saving the rest of the squad from snipers.It was only then that his horrific injuries were seen.The true story of a man who won the Victoria Cross and is a true hero.
The parts of the book where he describes being part of the war on terror are gripping,exciting and downright scary.You fi
Winifred
brilliant story of a young grendian boy in the british army.
Janp
Oct 14, 2015 Janp rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, biography
I bought this book a few years ago, and truth be told, I never bothered reading it. Until I looked it up on GR and read some good reviews which convinced me. It starts kind of slow with his life on Grenada but evolves nicely into the adventurous life he leads in the army. It's funny, down to earth and reads away quite easily. When I finished it, it absolutely felt as if my expectations were met- It's a really nice book and I absolutely recommend reading it.
Angus Mcfarlane
Jul 26, 2011 Angus Mcfarlane rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I find serious military books hard to get into - the unexplained jargon and acronyms prevent me from getting the right pictures of what's going on, and the start of this was no exception. The early years of JB's life in Grenada was therefore a crucial part of the story for me, so that by the time the military details began in part 2, I was sufficiently engaged to enjoy the story. Nice to get an update on the real thing in contrast to the fictional accounts.
Tracy
Aug 22, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav
This books inspirational. Everybody should read at least one book like this in their lifetime. Beharry's writing of his younger days is moving account of his early year and and the relationships that he hold dear.It gives a real essence of who he is. Johnson Beharry's story of courage is one that leave me filled with admiration for a brave man.
Laura Louise
Jan 14, 2013 Laura Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This guy is one of many true heros and the first living recipient of the VC in over 30 years. A very moving account.
Catherine
I'm normally not a fan of biographies/autobiographies but this isn't bad. It's a good read
Emma Coleman
Maybe I gave up too early - I just couldn't get into it x
Bronwyn
Nov 26, 2012 Bronwyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bronwyn by: Gill
An excellent biography of an honourable young man
Sneh
Aug 28, 2007 Sneh rated it really liked it
I am taking pride in the fact he is Bi-hari!
Bronwyn
Dec 15, 2011 Bronwyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Robert
Recommended to Bronwyn by: Gill Baker
Shelves: biography
This was a great book. On reflection, I think 3 things got Johnson through: values that he kept in the back of his mind, people that supported him, and the understanding that choices lead to consequences.
Danny Whatmough
Danny Whatmough marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Craig Sallabank
Craig Sallabank is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Mimsterico
Mimsterico marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Mrs Jorma Reynolds
Mrs Jorma Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
David McCleay
David McCleay marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Gillian Cooke
Gillian Cooke rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Jonathon Wakefield
Jonathon Wakefield marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Abdulmuslimyahoo.Com
Abdulmuslimyahoo.Com marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Tomos Roberts
Tomos Roberts rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Maurice
Maurice marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • 3 Para
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • Vulcan 607
  • Seven Troop
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • Fifty Dead Men Walking
  • The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Oldest Surviving Veteran of the Trenches
  • Martin Johnson Autobiography
  • And Did Those Feet: Walking Through 2000 Years of British and Irish History
  • Hellfire
  • War Junkie
  • The Shankill Butchers: The Real Story of Cold-Blooded Mass Murder
  • The Kill Zone
Grenadan-born soldier from Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment awarded the Victoria Cross for actions in Iraq, 2004.
More about Johnson Beharry...