Start by marking “Hoover's FBI: The Inside Story by Hoover's Trusted Lieutenant” as Want to Read:
Hoover's FBI: The Inside Story by Hoover's Trusted Lieutenant

Hoover's FBI: The Inside Story by Hoover's Trusted Lieutenant

Perhaps the most authentic account ever written of the FBI director.
Audio CD
Published January 1st 1996 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published June 25th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hoover's FBI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoover's FBI

Michael
Feb 25, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version of this book and it was very good. It contains some interesting FBI cases that I didn't know about as well as the large ones. It gives a good history and a counter point to all the anti-Hoover people out there. Read and learn both sides then decide the truth for yourself.
Diana Long
May 16, 2016 Diana Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part I found this work informative, educational, historic and a glimpse into the workings of a necessary part of the government, especially in the age we live in. It might also be a biography of J. Edgar Hoover and autobiography of the third top most important person in the bureau, the author. The part that seemed redundant was the author's obsession of defending the integrity of Hoover, we get it....I doubt that anyone believes everything they read. I don't care if Hoover was or wa ...more
C Lasseter
May 04, 2012 C Lasseter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this for an FBI Citizens' Academy I'm taking part in. I'm so glad I picked it up. It details the investigation into the murder of JFK, Lee Harvey Oswald, the investigation into Jack Ruby, the murder of MLK, the hunt for James Earl Ray, etc. I wasn't even born when these events occurred, but it's fascinating to read about the day-to-day problems they encountered and the discoveries they made.
Dan Evans
Dec 26, 2012 Dan Evans rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2013
Exposes the FBI as a pompous, overbearing organization. Hoover is a minor character compared to the author the rest of the government are underlings and fools. Like fish, when one person stays around too long they make the whole place smell.
Denise
Aug 17, 2013 Denise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This book was written not to tell us anything, but to refute other books. It was the most pompous and bigoted book I've read since Tebow's.
Tom
Oct 11, 2013 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was facinating...since I lived it. A great deal of details and insight thst I never knew.
Converse
May 23, 2012 Converse rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this memoir and history by a man who was the third highest ranking official in the FBI for about 10-15 years towards the end of John Edgar Hoover's time in office, retiring a year or two before Hoover died.

DeLoach joined the FBI in the early 1940s after completing college and part of law school at Stetson University. Initially his lack of a law degree kept him in the lowly rank of clerk, but eventually he was able to convince someone to let him become an agent. Excep
Jeff
This is was one of the most fascinating books I've listened to yet. I love non-fiction history and this book is one of the best I’ve listened to yet in that category. Deke LaRoach was part of some of the biggest cases the FBI was involved in for 30 years so he's in the know.

But more interesting is how he claims that all the stories about J. Edgar Hoover’s homosexually are nothing but heresy, rumors and people on the left who in the 60’s were doing everything possible to smear his name and the FB
Tom Stamper
DeLoach was the number 3 man at the FBI during the 1960s. DeLoach was a loyal Hoover man and the book seems to therefore be a means to refute so many of the rumors, allegations, and criticisms of Hoover since his death. I can't really recall any substantial criticism of the FBI chief by DeLoach. For what it's worth DeLoach was also personally close to LBJ and that more or less brought his FBI ambitions to an end when Nixon became president.
Bookworm
Jun 14, 2014 Bookworm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cartha Deloach was either very stupid or a fascist and a racist. This piece of trash was so bad it was hard to read. He claims J Edgar Hoover was not gay, or a crossdresser and not Tolsons butt buddie, but he believes Dr Martin Luther King had bisexual group sex orgies in hotel rooms. The people who opposed the racism in the US in the 60th were according to Deloach either adventure seekers or communists. Cartha Deloach was a horrible person and it is sad this book was ever published.
Rebecca
Oct 17, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good decent read if you like knowing the inside story of ones life on the inside with the US President and the head of the FBI. Discusses the extent the FBI will go to keep all the good guys in and the bad guys get kicked out. There's no room for a tarnished reputation here.
Tom Pittman viii
Dec 24, 2013 Tom Pittman viii rated it did not like it
You can expect a certain level of subjectivity wen reading a book about a mans life work, I found I could stomach this book though, this biography picks and chooses which events to talk about and explains bureau policies dishonestly.
Fred Botsford
Jan 08, 2017 Fred Botsford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story gave an insight into the FBI during the Hoover Years from Deke's perspective. It was interesting and enlightening. I will find additional stories to add more detail to some of the information.
Marina Ray
Sep 07, 2012 Marina Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. Highly recommend. It is obviously biased as all accounts are, but extremely informative about specific cases in history during the Hoover administration and the no. 3 in the FBI who wrote this definitely is a genius.
Dion
Apr 19, 2015 Dion rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story of one man's FBI career, not objective, but an interesting memoir. Not really about Hoover, although he spends a couple of chapters defending Hoover and denying that he was a gay man.
Jennifer Boston
Dec 05, 2013 Jennifer Boston rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
Hard to listen to, probably better as a read instead of an audio book
Kate
Jul 20, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting inside view from reputable source about Hoover's FBI
Wai-kit Ng
Now I know more about the FBI than I think I really need to. But an interesting account of FBI under J. Edgar Hoover.
Jean Ann
Sep 14, 2014 Jean Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting tidbits but it was too much of defending himself and defending the FBI. It lost my interest when I found myself deep in another book.
Unstablist
Unstablist rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2013
Betsy Comstock
Betsy Comstock rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Jim Myers
Jim Myers rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2010
Tanya Hallam
Tanya Hallam rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2014
Manna
Manna rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2017
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2011
James Smith
James Smith rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2009
Emmy
Emmy rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2010
Steve Boyd
Steve Boyd rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Suzin Ferris
Suzin Ferris rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012