Start by marking “Way to Go” as Want to Read:
Way to Go

Way to Go

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Death is everywhere in this odd novel, a coming-of-age story that dissolves into notes from a funeral business. First US publication for the Scottish Spence. Neil McGraw is a lad in Glasgow, an only child, the son of a dour undertaker permanently embittered by his wife's death during childbirth. Whenever the boy misbehaves, he's locked in the basement among the coffins, so ...more
Published June 3rd 1999 by Phoenix (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Way to Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Way to Go

Joe Norat
Nov 04, 2011 Joe Norat rated it it was amazing
Alan Spence's writing is some of the best I've had the privilege of coming across. His ability to write in a style that mimics his topic (death) is uncanny. The plot and writing style are equal parts brusque, eloquent, and beautiful. His characters are robust through the use of telling dialogue and adventure. If one has ever found oneself preoccupied with death, or mortality, this book is extremely relevant, and somehow comforting.
Ewan Wilson
Feb 26, 2015 Ewan Wilson rated it really liked it
a very strange and macabre novel (but wonderful) with some introspective soul searching which takes the protagonist from Glasgow to London to India and back to Glasgow. more of an examination of soul and life purposes, our attitudes to death and life rather than a plot driven yarn, I thoroughly enjoyed this and it demonstrates Spence's versatility.

Spence is a Buddhist but doesn't ram it down the readers's throat but his protagonist's journey from Glaswegian undertaker's son to enlightened wande
Liam
Aug 13, 2015 Liam rated it really liked it
Spence writes with a great style, easily immersive and a book that can be read at breakneck pace. It has helped look upon death more openly than before.
Marcus
Jun 14, 2011 Marcus rated it really liked it
The necessity of taking over his father's undertaker business is depressing, but convincingly told. The protagonist finds a way to bring life back in to the business by looking outside his own door culture. In doing so he brings celebration and happiness to filled at a time where sadness is a dominant response. This is am amusing and surprising tale.
Emilie
Dec 28, 2014 Emilie rated it liked it
Quite enjoyed this though it was a little outlandish at times and some of the Eastern philosophy bits were up themselves. Next book club meeting we're going to come up with our 3 funeral songs though, so good chats ahead!
Dana Simpson
Jan 07, 2014 Dana Simpson rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It made the subject of death a funny one, but still respectable. It made me think of how I'd like my funeral what shape my coffin would be.
Emmett
Jan 20, 2012 Emmett rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Never before have I read a fiction book with that many references to death or dying; or with that much humour, either.
Peter
Oct 03, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
A Scottish voice about a Scottish view of death with a bitter sweet ending
Mephi
Feb 20, 2009 Mephi rated it it was amazing
A stunning novel on one man's twisted relationship with death and life.
Alison Donnelly
Jun 29, 2011 Alison Donnelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Scotland's prequel to "Eat, Pray, Love". But not really.
Lorna
Jun 18, 2014 Lorna rated it really liked it
surprisingly entertaining book about death.
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Hilary
Hilary rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Lani Watt
Lani Watt marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Jakki Hanlon
Jakki Hanlon rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Ailsa
Ailsa rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
July Butler
July Butler rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Tom Frost
Tom Frost marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Steven McLaughlin
Steven McLaughlin rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Kristen Stevens
Kristen Stevens rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Dzozy
Dzozy rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Neda Pavlovic
Neda Pavlovic marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Kayleigh.elizabeth
Kayleigh.elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Moira Hardie
Moira Hardie rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Brian Cromarty
Brian Cromarty rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015