Keepers of Blackbird Hill

Keepers of Blackbird Hill

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  18 reviews

After sixteen years in Hollywood, Jayda returns to Blackbird Hill determined to save her childhood home and protect her inheritance of the family property. Orphaned as a young girl, Jayda stands alone against her extended family who want to sell the land to real estate developers. But the developers want all of the property or nothing, and Jayda is convinced that the old h

Published October 7th 2011 by Shadow Mountain (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Keepers of Blackbird Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keepers of Blackbird Hill

Jackie
I don't remember what prompted me to add this book to my "must-read" list. Perhaps it was because I had read the three novels Ms. Littke wrote with Carroll Morris and Nancy Anderson. This one was an easy read and I finished it in only a couple hours.

However... I was by turns annoyed and frustrated by this book. It really is only an average story. (Maybe writing with a couple other people brought out the strengths of all three of them.) I didn't really feel like any of the characters (except for...more
Marilyn
I enjoyed reading this book. It was a good break from the angst and rage that seem to predominate in some of my latest reading. Jayda (aka Jane) returns to her hometown after a divorce and a lackluster acting career to claim the old family home she inherited and figure out who she is and what she wants. A developer wants to buy the land, tear down the house, build more houses. Other family members want to sell. Jayda isn't sure, turns to the artifacts in the 200-drawer wall of the "remembering r...more
Linnae
Jayda returns home to the family estate (of which she is now the owner! gulp) and must reconcile the driven, rebellious teenager she used to be with who she is now. Oh, and save the property from developers who want to make into condos and such.

Slow moving story about family loyalty, the importance of family history, and choosing a family to love from those around you. Although it was quite a long buildup, the ending was never really in doubt and the suspense was minor. And I have to say, althou...more
Patrice
Thank you Goodreads Giveaways for bestowing this wonderful novel on me. .. I am kicking myself for not reading this as soon as I received it.

This is the story of Jayda, a disillusioned Hollywood starlet coming “home” to heal after her divorce. Her hometown and the surrounding hills are being bought up by a foreign investor that wants to develop the area and build single-family homes. Jayda’s homestead is the “crowning jewel” to the new development but, her Aunt Leora has left it to her and she...more
Christine Jensen
This story has some very interesting elements. Jayda has returned to Blackbird Hill after the breakup of her marriage, to save the family home. Along her journey she discovers a feud similar to the Hatfields and McCoys that exists between her family and another in the area. She is also reunited with her longtime friend (who could have been more) Lee, who is fighting his own daemons. When Jayda begins to receive increasingly violent threats, she becomes more and more determined to save her home.

I...more
Patty
I enjoyed this book in the sense that it was an easy read & clean. The plot was interesting & did keep me wondering, but it definately wasn't a can't wait to see what happens page turner. The characters were likable enough. Recommend if you want something light & easy to read. Good & wholesome.
April
Jayda(Jane) comes home to Blackbird Hill from Hollywood. Her Aunt Leora has deeded the family home to her. Developers want to buy the house and land and put in a development. Jayda doesn't want to sell. Her cousins want to sell. Someone leaves threatening notes, takes Tarzan (Jayda's dog), and saws through wood supports for an extension of the deck - causing a broken leg. Ethan, Jayda's ex-husband comes to help create a pageant about the history of the town.
An old friend Lee is there and is taki...more
Michelle
This was a fast read, just one day. It was very enjoyable and fun. I think that a real novel (instead of just a story) could have been made, if the author had fleshed out all of the subplots. I wanted more, it seemed that some things were glossed over to get to the ending. Also, some of the plot lines weren't tied up by the end of the story leaving me to wonder if the author is planning on more.
Cherri
Jayda, who used to be Jane, finally comes back to Blackbird Hill to figure out who she is. Attempts to buy the house are refused, but there is someone not content to just offer big money, they offer threats. Jayda has to find the courage of her ancestors to deal with the challenge.
Malyce
This book was just ok. Very slow start for me, the relationships built in the story were very good, I really loved the characters, I just didn't feel like it came to a real climax. A lot of "fake" building.
Debbie
This was a good book. You didn't know who was the bad guy until the end. There were many story lines that all tied in together. I really liked this book.
Lewestover
A little romance, a little mystery and intrigue, a lot of searching for roots, and the desire to know where one really fits in this life...not a bad story.
Dayna
Lael Littke has been a favorite author of mine since grade school. This was a fun read with enjoyable characters.
Melissa
I would love to have my own "remembering room" someday. What a great way to cherish your ancestors.
Lacey
Meh. It was really boring & I never really got hooked on the story. I was disappointed.
Wendy
"...you could never know who you are until you found out who you were." pg 9
Kristen
Too much middle, not enough ending.
Stephanie
Very enjoyable.
Susan Kodama
Susan Kodama marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Rhonda Barrow
Rhonda Barrow marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Britney
Britney marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Lillian Torgersen damron
Lillian Torgersen damron marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Faith Boren
Faith Boren marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Daughter of Frank George and Ada Geneva (Petersen) Jensen; married George C. Littke (a college professor), June 29, 1954; children: Lori S. Education: Utah State University, B.S., 1952; graduate study at City College (now City University of New York), 1955-59, and University of California--Los Angeles, 1968. Politics: Democrat. Religion: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon). Hobbie...more
More about Lael Littke...
Prom Dress Haunted Sister Lake of Secrets The Watcher Point Horror Collection #10: The Watcher, The Boy Next Door, The Hitchhiker