Start by marking “A Card from Angela Carter” as Want to Read:
A Card from Angela Carter

A Card from Angela Carter

Angela Carter was one of the most vivid voices of the twentieth century. When she died in 1992 at the age of fifty-one, she had published fifteen books of fiction and essays; outrage at her omission from any Booker Prize shortlists led to the foundation of the Orange Prize.

Angela Carter sent her friend Susannah Clapp postcards from all over the world, missives which form a
Published February 2nd 2012 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Card from Angela Carter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Card from Angela Carter

Zanna
Mar 15, 2014 Zanna rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad Susannah Clapp, Angela Carter's literary executor and friend, decided to write this little book, not only because one more precious piece of Angela in the world is a blessing, but also because she's chosen such a clever way to tell her own bit of Carter's biography, revealing her character so colourfully and amusingly through postcards she sent and the messages they carried.

The messages are short, and it's Clapp's eloquent, tightly woven commentary that brings them vividly to life an
Chris
A rather beautiful book. One I enjoyed very much. Despite it's short length, Clapp does an excellent of job of conveaying a sense of who Carter was, even for those of us who discovered her after her death (or in my case, the year of her death). This is a wonderful memory book (much like Terry Pratchett's The Unadulterated Cat) and that is what makes it so special. Well worth the price. I'm really glad I read this.
Apr 02, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Angela Carter and readers of 20th Century literature.
This book is short but compelling, with no definite chronology. The postcards constitute its backbone, each forming the basis for a part of Angela's experience: the retelling of a story or an adventure, a controversial opinion or a personal rant. In the absence of a printed biography by any other author, the postcards, sent by the well-travelled Angela to her friend Susannah and included in this brief peek into her life, are used throughout to reveal the many aspects of her luminous personality. ...more
Emma Sea
In the opening pages the author tells us that Angela Carter asked her to go through her work and publish whatever she could, to financially support the two sons she left behind after her untimely death, of cancer. So, obviously, if I was to rate the book anything less than a 4 I would feel like I was ripping bread from the mouths of children. Therefore, no rating from me for this one.
Kirsty
Feb 18, 2012 Kirsty rated it really liked it
Angela Carter is the grande dame of lush, fantastical stories, and published 15 books of fiction and poetry in her lifetime – but in the 20 years since her death, there has yet to appear an in-depth study of her life and work. This is not that book, but it's something much more beautiful: a personal tribute to a writer and friend. The book is structured around a series of postcards that Susannah Clapp, a previous editor of the London Review of Books, received throughout her friendship with ...more
G.G.
Jul 15, 2014 G.G. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Short but full of delights: beautifully observed and written, successfully conveys a great deal about Angela Carter in miniature form.

Laura Anderson
Sep 11, 2016 Laura Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I met Susannah Clapp at the 2012 Edinburgh International Book Festival, and bought this book after hearing her talk about Angela. It's a lovely, personal look at one of my favourite authors, told through postcards that Angela sent to Susannah.

It's a nicely presented book too: the only negative is that it's all black and white, which doesn't do the postcards any justice. A bit of me - a very nosey bit - would have liked to have seen Angela's handwriting on the back of the postcards too.

A good rea
Debbie McGowan
Mar 21, 2014 Debbie McGowan rated it it was ok
What this book should be: Gothic and grotesque, Vaudeville and burlesque, a romp through Angela Carter's 'larger than' life via lewd postcards and satirical observations.

What it is: a diatribe penned by the executor of Carter's literary estate, at once bemused and delighted by Carter's working class sensibilities. Middle class, Guardian Review, BBC Radio 4 post-feminist semi-academic Clapp-trap. We do not need to have postcards described to us and then presented. Indeed, there need to be a lot m
Ruth
Jun 20, 2015 Ruth rated it liked it
I read this slight volume in one sitting. It was interesting to read about Angela Carter from a friend's perspective and I enjoyed thematic prompts provided by the postcards. However, I was disappointed by the lack of colour illustrations and would have liked to have seen Angela's own handwriting - I see that it retails for around £10, so I don't think that's too much to expect. I used to be a great sender of postcards, but they seem to have gone out of fashion now - probably because it costs so ...more
Heather Noble
Feb 10, 2012 Heather Noble rated it it was ok
This book revived my guilt about not having read that much of Angela Carter because what I have read hasn't convinced me that she's an author I enjoy and there's too much out there that I do enjoy. So I have now defined myself as a hedonistic reader. And what I did enjoy about "A card from Angela Carter" was the insight into a friendship that was both professionally literary and intensely personal. Some paragraphs in the book poignantly portrayed without pretension the woven life of an author, ...more
Nikki
Apr 22, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
Great idea for a book- Susannah Clapp has taken a selection of the postcards written to her by Angela Carter and then discusses what was going on around the time of the postcard- its like a quick biography with lots of witty stories from Angela Carter,one of Britains best writers. I wonder if anyone is keeping my postcards.......
Victor
Oct 02, 2012 Victor rated it it was amazing
I can't find the words to explain how happy this book made me feel. at times it made me giggle so loudly that people around me would ask what I was reading. it's so hard to explain A.C. if one has never read her. we were robbed when angela carter was taken from us. thank you susannah clapp for sharing these stories with us.
Dorotea
Feb 12, 2016 Dorotea rated it really liked it
With Angela Carter being my favourite write, having additional background to her life was great for me. A quick read that helped me get more knowledge on Mrs. Carter, her writing, and how her life affected her characters.
Craig
Mar 18, 2016 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not at all what I was expecting, which wasn't much. This provides as close a look at Carter as likely we'll get, outside of her novels, and it is quite good. The book design does not facilitate the postcards, and some of the postcards are not included.
Sakshi Sharma
A very short and sweet insight into Angela Carters life and how it inspired her to write many of her books. loved It.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
A portrait of the author Angela Carter via a series of postcards she sent to a friend.
Cnidy
Jul 03, 2015 Cnidy rated it it was ok
A window into an Angela Carter I did mot know. A strange way of telling. Some good stories and characters.
Lauren
Nov 14, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-like
A must read for any Carter fan. By the end of the book I was in uncontrollable tears and I'm not afraid to admit that.
Oolookitty
Oolookitty rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Heather (Capricious Reader)
Heather (Capricious Reader) rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Richy Campbell
Richy Campbell rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Stuart Barnes
Stuart Barnes rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Jinx
Jinx rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2016
Boodreads
Boodreads rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Celyn
Celyn rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
kymdotcom
kymdotcom rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Martin Cullen
Martin Cullen rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Shaking a Leg: Collected Journalism and Writings
  • Daughters of Africa
  • Now All Roads Lead To France
  • Novel on Yellow Paper (Revived Modern Classic)
  • What the Water Gave Me: Poems After Frida Kahlo