The Queen's Bastard

The Queen's Bastard

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,153 ratings  ·  53 reviews
In this sequel to "The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn", Maxwell writes of a young man named Arthur Dudley, the son of Elizabeth I and her lover, Robin Dudley, Earl of Leicester.
Published (first published January 1st 1999)

Elisa Mesiani
"Mio affezionato popolo," cominciò Elisabetta con voce vigorosa e ferma "i miei consiglieri,temendo per la mia vita, non volevano che io venissi qui fra di voi. Ma come potete vedere non ho prestato loro ascolto, perché io credo nella lealtà dei miei sudditi che sono la mia forza e non la mia debolezza. E così sono venuta qui, al culmine della battaglia, per vivere o morire con voi! Posso avere il corpo debole e fragile di una donna," proseguì Elisabetta, la voce elevata fin quasi a un grido "ma...more
Peggy Z
Jan 21, 2012 Peggy Z rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Those who enjoy historical fiction
Recommended to Peggy Z by: found it in the Kindle lending library list
I received a Kindle for Christmas which came with 1 month of free Amazon Prime. This allowed me to pick out 1 book to be "lent" to my Kindle; it will disappear from my books at the end of the month. Since I love historical fiction I picked out this book.

I'm giving it a 3 star rating. Would have given it a 4 star rating but it seemed to drag a little in the middle of the story. I would still recommend this to those who enjoy historical fiction, especially British history set during the time of El...more
Elizabeth Sulzby
In this book in which Robin Maxwell draws upon some historic clues to posit that Queen Elizabeth and Robin Dudley had a baby early in their relationship. The pregnancy was hidden through cleverness of dressing and also the Queen's summer "Progress" in which she travels throughout the realm to show her support for the people and gain theirs for herself. I am reading this historical fiction just after reading a history of Catherine de Medici, Queen and Queen Regent of France during the Valois reig...more
Patricia Rodrigues
Este livro conta-nos a história de Arthur Dudley, filho de Isabel I e de Robin Dudley.
No entanto, aquando do seu nascimento, a parteira, em conluio com Kat (fiel criada e amiga de Isabel) e Cecil, trocam o bebé por um nado-morto.
Kat entrega Arthur a um seu amigo, para que ele o eduque como sendo seu filho. Arthur só descobre a verdade sobre os seus pais, quando o seu pai adoptivo está a morrer.

Ao longo do livro, a história é narrada por diversos intervenientes. Arthur relata as suas memórias, de...more
Juliew.
What would have happened if Queen Elizabeth I had an illegitimate son and he lived to tell the tale?This book gives an answer of sorts.The book follows the queen's son's adventures and it also follows the story of Elizabeth and Robert Dudley's relationship.I liked the vivid descriptions about horses,english towns,country life and battles.Although,I found the relationship between Robert and the Queen plausible I felt I couldn't say the same for the story of Arthur Dudley.

His exploits seemed far f...more
Whitney Archibald
Nov 13, 2008 Whitney Archibald rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Whitney by: Susie
Fun, interesting read, but it made me start to worry about my historical education. I'm a bit too fond of historical fiction, and would be hard-pressed to have to separate fact from the fiction on a test. I guess all history is fictional to a degree, but this fits in the same category as Pope Joan -- an author taking an unsubstantiated rumor from history and running with it. Which is what makes both books so interesting and fun to read. It made me want to learn more about this time period.

Warni...more
Michelle
A thoroughly fascinating read on the "possible" illegitimate child between Queen Elizabeth and Robin Dudley.
The story is fiction, but with roots in history, which makes this an exciting and consuming book.
As a fan of the Showtime show "The Tudors"-my fascination with the Tudor line keeps growing. I instantly picked up this book in a bargain section of Barnes & Nobles.
Tudor fans will enjoy it!
Faithfulmommy
I thought it was a good story. Parts of it were a little slow but I enjoyed the majority of the book and found it entertaining. My favorite part was at the end when the author told what the actual facts were regarding the story that she wove her tail from.
Al
A very interesting historical novel which develops the story of the romance between Elizabeth I, the Virgin Queen, and her horsemaster, as well as lifelong friend, Robert Dudley, later the Earl of Leicester. The author develops the story of Arthur Dudley who claimed to be their bastard son and actually convinced King Philip of Spain that he was actually their son, resulting in his imprisonment by Philip and the end of any historical record of his life. The story begins shortly after Elizabeth's...more
Jill
I was actually getting a little tired of reading stories about the Tudor family, so this sat on my shelf for over a year before I decided to give it a go. It is about Queen Elizabeth, but more about her "illegitimate" son. I liked that the story was more about the life of someone who was Not royal living in that time period. It was interesting to think about daily life for the common people that lived under Elizabeth's rule. The author explains at the end of the book that although it only a theo...more
Malaka
I randomly picked this book without a recommendation which usually leads to disaster, but I liked it! At some points it got into war strategies a little too heavily, but otherwise it was a good story. At some points the author didn't seem to follow up completely.. for instance the queen demanded that she wants him arrested immediately and then killed. The next chapter is several years later and he's still free and living, so there was definitely something missing. This happened a few times.

I lik...more
Tasha Cooper
It should be noted that I am not a book reviewer nor did I enjoy English class in school, so those two facts should be kept in mind when reading what I have written.

The beginning seemed to have so much promise, but then....I'm not too sure who wanted the book to finish faster me or the author - the ending did seem a bit rushed. It was nice that it was explained where the idea for the story came from - information that I did not know, but I found that it reminded me too much of a harlequin romanc...more
James
Mar 21, 2008 James rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Nobody with a brain
If you ever found yourself sitting around after watching the yearly Queen Elizabeth movie and thinking, "Man, will the whole Elizabeth story thing EVER get old?" then this book shouts, "YES! IT'S OLD!" Had to force myself to finish it. Several times, after a few chapters, I felt I'd watched some Wal-Mart produced, Hallmark channel morality play that a crazed producer decided to set in Elizabethan England instead of the Cracker Barrel-esque Smokey Mountains. The most redeeming part of the book is...more
Janet
I didn’t pay much attention to the flyleaf of this book and was expecting another novel about Queen Elizabeth’s life. I wonder how much of this is based in fact. Was there really a young man who claimed—and could have been—to be the son of the Virgin Queen?

So Robin Maxwell left me a comment on my blog. Apparently there's a whole discussion on this question in somebody else's blog: http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=... Cool.
Tamara
Dear authors everywhere,

Entire chapters in italics are annoying and unnecessary. Italics are to emphasize important points. If you believe your readers are too stupid to realize when a different character's voice is being used, you 1) are a poor character writer, 2) don't respect your readers and 3) could simply use the device of using the character's name as the chapter title.

For the record, I do not read chapters printed entirely in italicized type. Therefore, I read only about half of this b...more
Elaine King
I really enjoyed this book even though it is a fictional account of Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley's son. The existence of son has been a mystery since Elizabeth's reign. The author gives references,scant as it may be, as the premise of the book. Very interesting read.
Heidi
I enjoyed this book greatly, however some, if not all, of the Arhtur chapters seemed overly drawn out and longer than they actually were. I found myself losing interest a few times in the midst of these chapters and forcing myself to stop as I was bored.

Other than that, it is a great story on the lives of Queen Elizabeth I, Robert Dudley and Arthur Dudley and it was interested to see them all come together as the story unfolded.
Julia
I liked this book, although I was surprised that it focused so heavily on Arthur. I first was a bit turned off to that fact, however after reading it entirely I am glad I stayed with it. Defiantly full of adventures, betrayal and sabotage this is a splendid read. The more I read the more fun it became.It is a enjoyable escape for anyone looking for an Elizabeth the First novel with a twist.
Alex
I have to give up on this book because it is due at the library. I haven't picked it back up in a week, so obviously I am not that interested in it anyway. It just couldn't hold my interest at all. I usually love books by this author, but this one was definitely a dud.

I might try it again sometime in the future, but for now I am considering this book read.
Amanda
I had not read any of Robin Maxwell's books before reading this, but it definitely made me a fan of her writing. She melds history and fiction perfectly in this novel. Without changing any of history's facts, she contrives a believable "what-if" scenario of Elizabeth having a son. An innovative plot is a must when writing about a much-written about queen of England.
Geary
Three stars for the content and the storyline. I can't give this book 5 stores because it is so over run with details of warfare that it is just beyond monotony. Yes I cried; yes I laughed; yet sometimes I even tingled but the warfare was just too much too much detail. I had to fast forward through the last five chapters that's how long the war lasted.
Kristy
I finally read and finished it! I liked how the author tied this one and "The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn" together. I did like how it goes from Elizabeth and Robin's point of view to Arthur's. The only thing that bothered me was the italic type the publisher used for Arthur's parts. Just one of those annoying thing. Minor really.
Ricci
An interesting read but slow paced so it kinda just drug on in some parts.
CmPete Tucker
I SHOULD hate this books since it takes a well known historical figure and puts her into a preposterous situation.

But I love it!

The background facts are well founded. It's as much 'what if' in the style of Harry Turtledove's alvernate history. As such - it is wonderful...
Gaile
A fictional account of Elizabeth II having given birth to a baby by Robin Dudley. Although I don't believe this ever happened, I found this novel quite absorbing and unforgettable.
I think authors love to write "What ifs?" and us readers certainly enjoy reading them!
Paula
A first in what will be a series. An alternate Renaissance world of intrigue, magic and suspense. I was put off at first by the roman a clef aspect (Lorraine = Queen Elizabeth; Ars Magli = Venice), but got over it and thoroughly enjoyed this delicious story.
Rebecca
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Yes, this book is fiction, but the author did extensive research to make sure the book was historically accurate. I felt the story flowed nicely between the Queen, Robert Dudley, and the life of their fictional son Arthur.
Rachel
Fascinating take on historical rumors and facts. Chapters alternate between Queen Elizabeth in first person and her hypothetical bastard son. The chapters in the son's voice are not as interesting. First half of the book is better than the second half.
Brooke
If you don't mind letting an author create a different version of history and love the Tudors this is a good summer read. Obviously some creative license has been taken in the writing of this book but that's true for any piece of Tudor fiction.
an interesting look at a "what if"... what if queen elizabeth the first had had a bastard son by the Earl of Leicester, and hid the child all his life... the Elizabethan period being one of my particular favorites, i LOVED this book...
  • Plain Jane
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor
  • Queen of This Realm: The Tudor Queens (Queens of England, #2)
  • The Queen's Handmaiden
  • The King's Daughter. A Novel of the First Tudor Queen (Rose of York)
  • The First Elizabeth
  • His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester
  • My Lady of Cleves: A Novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves
  • The Perfect Royal Mistress
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)
  • The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn: Family Politics at the Court of Henry VIII
Robin Maxwell grew up in Plainfield, New Jersey, graduated from Tufts University School of Occupational Therapy, and practiced in that field for several years before moving to Hollywood to become a parrot tamer, casting director and finally a screenwriter. Working for the major studios and networks she wrote comedy, drama and even feature animation for Disney. Her credits include "Passions", a CBS...more
More about Robin Maxwell...
Mademoiselle Boleyn The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn Signora Da Vinci To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes Virgin: Prelude to the Throne