Start by marking “My Life Without God” as Want to Read:
My Life Without God

My Life Without God

Atheist Madalyn O'Hair's son recounts his turbulent childhood, his search for truth and subsequent commitment to Christ. Bill shares how God's love helped him cope with his family's disappearance and tragic deaths. Includes photos.
Published August 1st 1992 by Harvest House Publishers (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about My Life Without God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life Without God

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomThrough Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth ElliotGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewThe Heavenly Man by Paul HattawaySurprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Biography/Autobiography
75th out of 222 books — 119 voters
The Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsRena's Promise by Rena Kornreich GelissenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtEscape by Carolyn Jessop
Best Memoirs
125th out of 165 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Natalie Wickham
Jun 05, 2012 Natalie Wickham rated it it was amazing
Since my Dad is from Maryland, I remember hearing him talk about infamous atheist, Madalyn Murray O’Hair, who successfully fought the battle to have prayer and Bible reading removed from America’s government schools in 1963. In this book her son, William, tells the story of his destructive and dysfunctional family life growing up. The writing is mildly graphic, but paints a vivid picture of the horrific lifestyle that entrapped the author well into his adult life. It’s amazing to realize what a ...more
Heather Tomlinson
Aug 13, 2013 Heather Tomlinson rated it really liked it
This is the story of the son of Madalyn Murray O'Hair, once dubbed 'The Most Hated Woman in America' for her part in stopping prayers in American state schools.
It's not a pretty tale. William's life was a very unhappy one, and Madalyn is not painted in a good light. William is now a Christian and rejects what he was taught as a child.
It's a good antidote to the notion that teaching religion to kids is 'brainwashing' them, as if teaching them any other worldview isn't doing exactly the same.
Lillie
I just saw that this book is back in print. I read it years ago, but I haven't forgotten the impact. William Murry is the son of the infamous atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair, and she used him in the famous court case that banned prayer from schools. He shares his terrible childhood and early adulthood, when he was living the life of degradation under his mother's tutelage, knowing nothing of God. He finally reached a point of desperation when he called to the God he didn't know. But God knew him ...more
Rod
Mar 28, 2016 Rod rated it really liked it

Good book. I finished it in 3 days. A pretty sick exciting life.

It would be nice to think that this family is a rare exception. But its not. I meet people just like this all the time. Welcome to the world without God.
Ann Gustafson
May 23, 2013 Ann Gustafson rated it really liked it
Hard book to read, because of the psychological abuse William was raised with by his mother. However, it is a book we all should read so we are not blindsided by someones beliefs that seem "ok". Each decision truly affects many generations.
Creatchter
I understand his need to tell the truth

I too have just purchased this book I chose to respond because I think you are under the beleif that she removed prayer from school, she did not. The law states schools can't require unwilling students to participate in prayer. A child can do papers and speaches on God. They can Pray as they choose. It is illegal for it to be mandatory.

Mom was a communist she made more than one attempt to become a Soviet citizen they denied her entry into their country. S
Wayne
May 05, 2013 Wayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: biographical
97% of this book speaks of his life before Christ. I started the book and it was hard to quit. It gave some insight to families that are not raised with a belief in God, but I know this may be a little generalization of atheist. The insight on how God can just use the reading of His Word to change a life is amazing. The sad thing is the lack of a true Christian witness to this man all his life. What a shame. But God is faithful.
Dana
Nov 06, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book about a family I could never understand nor agree with. So humbling to again witness how God loves and wants us all to accept Him no matter the sinful lives we have lived. Bill Murray discovered Christ is the only real answer to a peaceful life. I felt so bad for the way of life Bill Murray and then his daughter, Robin, were subjected to by living with Madalyn and her "demons."
Robert R.
Apr 12, 2016 Robert R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book that describes the culture of the 1960's to the 1980's. William Murray lived a difficult life under the influence of his mother's atheist values. He was used as the "pawn" in removing prayer from schools in 1963 (when he was a teenager).

I met William Murray in February 2016 when we were both giving testimony before the Maryland House of Delegates Ways and Means Committee in support of HB 955 which would allow "student led and student initiated prayer back into public schools." Dur
Marilyn Jordan
Apr 15, 2016 Marilyn Jordan rated it really liked it
A compelling read -- I finished it in two days because I couldn't put it down. William J. Murray is the son of the infamous Madalyn Murray O'Hair who happened to be in the right place at the right time (if you're an atheist) to get the Supreme Court to take prayer out of the schools. William was her test case. What a sad, pathetic, and wicked woman she was. Like an evil spider spinning its web, she knew just how to keep both her sons emotionally entangled and dependent. William eventually ...more
Justin S.
Jul 09, 2016 Justin S. rated it really liked it
"The fools says in his heart there is no God" is what comes to mind when I read this book. The author is the son of the infamous atheist Madelyn O'hair Murray. The women credited with removing prayer and Bible reading from all public schools. It's a revealing look into one of the leading atheist (anti-theist) in this country before her untimely murder in 1995. There is a rage against God, a hatred in much of the atheist community, against a God they believe isn't there. I appreciated the author ...more
Rob
Mar 12, 2008 Rob rated it liked it
Recommends it for: atheists, christians
Shelves: read-in-2008
This is a decent book and while I was expecting the author to come off as all holier than thou he really doesn't. I mean the guy admits to beating his wife; hard to come off as "the good guy" in that situation.

Madelyn Murray O'hair probably WAS a lack luster human being; but that doesn't make her wrong about prayer in school or athesim. Ideas are not responsible for who holds them.

But, far more interesting to me, is that without Bill Murray the entire movement might have failed. It was his commi
Rachel Pierce
Jul 06, 2013 Rachel Pierce rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic, 2013
I finished reading this book in two days. There are a few factors in how quickly I managed to get through it. For one thing it's good. The writing is easy to follow and I continually want to know what happens next, though... Another reason I read it so quickly because i kept waiting for the turnaround. To have a life without God implys thay there was also one with God. I kept wanting the author to find God already so he could stop making mistakes. I kept thinking 'oh, it'll be in the next ...more
Glenn
Aug 18, 2016 Glenn rated it it was amazing
An insight into the battle that started with the removal of prayer in school and included the actions of the atheist movement to remove God.

I had a wonderful opportunity to meet the author in 1993 and I will never forget something he said during conversation. "Atheist don't want to remove God simply because they hate God, their main objective is to be sinless. The only way to be sinless is to remove from prominence the judge of sin, which is God. Therefore, without God there is no sin and in the
Paige Norman
Jul 20, 2013 Paige Norman rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting read and brought a lot of depth to my understanding of Madalyn O'Hair and her fight against the Bible and God in the public arena. It covers Mr. Murray's life at home, his struggles at school and his further struggles with coming to terms with the affect his mother's choices had on him for may years of his life.

Keep in mind that it was published in 1982 -- well before Ms. O'Hair's disappearance and eventual death.
Rachel Maxwell
Wish he would've explained in more detail his road to conversion, but I teally liked that he didn't just makw his mom the bad guy. He was open about his own deplorable actions as well. It was a good read & I will say that I was often shocked at the extent of his mother's delusions & out right craziness!
Cristy
Feb 01, 2008 Cristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
True story about what it is like growing up the son of the woman who wanted God taken out of our schools. An interesting story because she really didn't even care about what she was fighting for, she just wanted to fight about something. This led to a very rough life for the author who spent his whole life to get away from who his mother was.
Janette Lowe
Jan 10, 2009 Janette Lowe marked it as to-read
Just picked it up today, but I heard an interview on the radio with the author - he's the son of that evil woman Madelyn O'Hare (she's the one that got prayer taken out of the schools). The book is about his journey to Christianity after a horrific childhood as her son. He's now a pastor of some kind and has formed a foundation against atheism.
TB
Jun 29, 2008 TB rated it it was amazing
Good follow up to "Ungodly". Inspiring reminder that God is at work in every situation. It's a shame that he will have to live with the memories of his mothers's destructive behavior and the murder of her and other family members.
Rachel
Aug 01, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Had a lot of cussing in it...very sad. It is about his life growing up without God, then how he found God. If you want to know the history of how prayer was taken out of schools..THIS is your book.

I rated it down due to the language used in it.
Sep 23, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a moving portrait of a life growing up under a mother that was absolutely angry with God. It is also testimony to the power of God to save one most might think hopeless. Where God is, there is power - nothing is impossible with God.
Anthony Lawson
Feb 14, 2014 Anthony Lawson rated it it was ok
Read this book a long time ago. It's about Murray growing up under atheist mother Madalyn Murray O’Hair and how he went from atheist to fundamentalist Christian.
Beverly
Sep 20, 2013 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-biography
I found this book in my church library. I found it fascinating, very interesting insider view of life with an outspoken atheist, or anti-theist, as some are being referred to these days.
Lawrence Miquelon
May 12, 2012 Lawrence Miquelon rated it liked it
Interesting take on the attitude of the times and the perspective within the family vs. the media and culture.
Michele
Apr 25, 2014 Michele rated it liked it
This was a difficult read. I find that I am still naive at 69 years old! I really didn't know such depravity and godlessness was possible. I am so glad he found faith, God, and Jesus Christ.
Janet
Nov 18, 2010 Janet rated it liked it
Good book - talks about the chaos that was involved in living with the infamous Madelaine Murray O'Hare
Camiwar
Dec 25, 2015 Camiwar rated it really liked it
This book was written by Madalyn Murray O'Hare's son, who was brought up an atheist. His childhood was deplorable, but as an adult, he became a Christian. A truly remarkable story!
Jason Tan
Jason Tan rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2011
Willy Powell
Willy Powell rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Krystal Thompson
Krystal Thompson rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Not God's Type: A Rational Academic Finds a Radical Faith
  • Holy Anorexia
  • Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and Friendship
  • Let Me Tell You a Story: Life Lessons from Unexpected Places and Unlikely People
  • This Is Herman Cain!: My Journey to the White House
  • A Simple Christmas: Twelve Stories That Celebrate the True Holiday Spirit
  • Crazy Love
  • The Persecutor
  • God and Stephen Hawking: Whose Design Is It Anyway?
  • The Red Suit Diaries: A Real-Life Santa on Hopes, Dreams, and Childlike Faith
  • Terror by Night: The True Story of the Brutal Texas Murder That Destroyed a Family, Restored One Man's Faith, and Shocked a Nation
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Refined by Fire
  • Becoming Fearless: My Ongoing Journey of Learning to Trust God
  • When You Can't Find God
  • Philosophy & the Christian Faith
  • Life Sentence
  • Whatever the Cost: Facing Your Fears, Dying to Your Dreams, and Living Powerfully