Start by marking “The Aftermath, Book 1” as Want to Read:
The Aftermath, Book 1

The Aftermath, Book 1

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Themes: Hi-Lo, Dystopia, disaster, survival, relationships. Cecilia has always been secure in her world. A high school cheerleader, she is pretty and popular. And she dates Ryan, one of the cutest boys in her school. She leads a charmed and pampered life. Clearly everyone forgot the warnings buried deep in the quatrains of Nostradamus-- the end of days. When the world they ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Saddleback Educational Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Aftermath, Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aftermath, Book 1

the stuffed eskimo
REVIEW ORIGINALLY POSTED ON READER VIEWS KIDS.

The end of 2012 indeed brought the end of the world as we know it in “The Aftermath” by Sara Michelle. Few survivors are left following the terrible disaster; roads are torn up, houses decrepit, food and water are in short supply, and those left are struggling to survive.

Cecilia lost all her family and friends except her boyfriend Ryan, and it is lucky they have each other: their chances of survival alone are slim. It has now been a week since the en
Summer
Synopsis: After THE END a major earthquake happens, everyone but Ryan and Cecelia fall into Hell Ryan and Cecelia navigate a strangely deserted world where no one thought to go into the emergency shelters but they. Ryan has barely a basic sense of direction, and Cecelia is actually a whiny piece of luggage.

I don't like it when people praise a book simply because a teen or a kid wrote it. If it is good, then it is worth praise, but honestly... I guess this isn't any better or worse than most of t
Courtney
Seriously?! Only 75 pages practically DOUBLE SPACED?! As if the length wasn't bad enough what she attempted to use as a "plot" to fill said 75 pages is just mind blowing...and not in a good way. I'm pretty sure the back of this book said she's some tween still in High School and whatnot but come on! And to have the nerve to charge $7.95 for this pocketbook sized novel of trash is just atrocious. Finish school then give being a writer a go...maybe not even then.
Katrina
Feb 21, 2013 Katrina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: struggling readers
The book was O.K. It is more like a novella than a full blown novel. I have to give credit where credit is due to being published as a high school student. If only all students were this motivated.
Sara Pritzl
Quick Read. I thought the story was good due to the author being in high school.
kari
Oct 05, 2012 kari rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, ya
This is written by a high school student so I give her great applause for getting published. It does, however, read somewhat as if it is written by a high school student. Other teenagers will likely love this story and zoom through it. For me, there are too many sentences beginning with "I" and much of the actual story seems to be in the description of the story.
It appears that Cecelia is a pampered, sheltered cheerleader only because we are told that she is, there's nothing in the story to lea
Shannon Freeman
I loved this book. I have always been an avid reader and now I am an author and English teacher. If one of my students produced writing on this level, I would be ecstatic. I read it from beginning to end and can't wait to go on to the next book. Excellent work! This book is perfect for readers in my classroom that need shorter books or are reluctant to read. You cater to that group of students. Thanks Ms. Sara! Job well done :)
Michelle Greer
While I understand this is intended to be a hi/lo novel, I don't feel like it completely succeeds. Other than following the post-apocalyptic trend, this novel doesn't have high interest. I felt like was too shallow of a starter. This was not to my tastes.
Deborah
Apr 28, 2014 Deborah added it
Shelves: 2014
I'm hesitant to be too harsh of such a young writer, but while this would deserve a high grade in a high school creative writing class, it should not have been published.
Courtney
This book was a good fast read. I thought it was brilliant for a high school writer.
Jaudica
It is AMAZING book I read the whole series at school and it is amazing :)
Tara
You can tell this book was written by a high-school-er by the wording and format. Over all the book is about 75-80 pages long and pretty much double-spaced. The book has an interesting story line to it that made this one hard to put down. I would recommend this to light readers. You can pretty much finish this an about an hour but, as I said the story plot, for some reason, makes it hard to put down! :)
Took longer than necessary to read, but it was a Good step to a series.
Jenn
This book -- written by a high school student -- is a compelling read for my struggling female readers. I picked it up today and read it as I promised a student I would read it with her. While the book seemed more a few chapters of a book, the storyline and vocabulary will provide struggling readers a quality read that will allow them to be a successful reader.
Andrea
I have to be honest, I only got about 20 pages in when I had to put it down. I couldn't take it anymore, the writing was poorly written, and to be brutally honest it reminded me of some of the stories I wrote in middle school. Cringe worthy. But that's my own personal opinion.
Nicole
This book is written by a high schooler. I think the story has potential (this is the 1st in a trilogy), but you can definitely tell it is written by a teenager. It is a very quick read and I will likely finish the trilogy just to see what happens.
Julie
I like the idea of a science-fiction series broken up into shorter books. However, I felt this book was really too brief. There were things left unsaid that needed to be written out. Other parts were unrealistic or not believable.
Fyrekatz
Interesting story, just a waste of paper with its size 18-20 font and only 75 pages... I think she should have put her three books together and maybe put a size 12 font on it... just me I guess.
Nora
Apr 02, 2013 Nora rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Normally I don't bother making character judgements on fictional characters, but this author's characters are so comfortable with their selfishness that I can't help but despise them.
Diane
You can tell it's written by a teen who is still learning to write, but it really caught my interest and I have to read the others to find out what happened.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015