Full Moon

Full Moon

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In Full Moon, one of the best science photography books ever published, Michael Light presents a voyage in images to the Moon and back. Light took NASA's master negatives of photos taken by Apollo astronauts and scanned them electronically. The resulting pictures are so vivid they seem more clear than real life. Light orders the photos sequentially, selecting the most arre...more
Published May 18th 1999 by Knopf (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Moon

Michael
This is a beautifully produced book of images taken primarily from the Apollo moon missions (there's a couple from the earlier Gemini missions, too), which after 40-odd years are still breathtaking.

The photographs are presented on black pages with only the image numbering as text. Captions are given for each photograph at the end of the book and, while this means much flicking back and forth on a first read, allows the images to stand for themselves when you go back over them, which I certainly...more
Teresa
Apr 11, 2008 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who's ready to be truly in awe?
Absolutely amazing! The only place I've seen more breathtaking images of space, the moon, and earth is at the Rose Center for Earth and Space, inside Hayden Planetarium in NYC – which is a permanent exhibition of the best of this book's prints.

Light's work is incredibly stunning on that large scale (this hardcover's dimensions are smaller than your standard coffee-table book size) and I recommend spending time there if you can. That said, this is a great little book to have around, as a reminder...more
Jonathan Ratty
The remedy for when those sad little 'We-never-went-to-the-moon' idiots pop up their heads occasionally. I'd love to beat every one last one over the head with this book. But since they simply cannot grasp the magnitude of what was achieved here, the beauty of this book is lost on their empty little souls.
Joan
Glorious, huge photographs. There is really very little to say about this book. If you loved the Apollo missions and you watched Neil Armstrong take that fist step, then this book is for you.
thegift
beautiful pictures. ‘magnificent desolation’ indeed. humankind will never be to mars until humans walk on that distant world, as this series of moon landings makes clear, as this art meets science, makes the abstract real, in a way no math, no engineering, no science, can. this wonder is completed in these images. for those of us very unlikely to ever visit the moon, here are postcards of the dream.
Christopher
I regret not finishing the last few pages of narrative before returning the book (late) to the library. What I read was very educating and well written. I actually got more out of the text than I did the pictures, which I equate more to my modern-era short attention span than anything else.

Kudos Mr. Light, I'll be back to finish the last few pages.
Chris
Beautiful collection of photography from the US moon missions. Stark black and white in some places and full four-color photography in others, this captures the space, the light, and the astronauts, who seem completely out of place in the grey dusty blackness. A few beautiful gatefold panorama shots add to the impact.
Mark
This is the most beautiful book of Apollo-related photographs I've ever seen. Yes, it's "just" a picture book, but anyone who has any interest in Apollo will want this one on their shelf to look at again an again, and to show to others. Better than anything Ron Howard or Tom Hanks could create.
Matthew
The antidote to 100 Suns this book collects some of the best photos from the US space program. These pictures are so beyond description. They give a great feeling of humanity at its best.
Aquarium
Oct 09, 2009 Aquarium marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-buy
Read about it at http://gizmodo.com/5377509/this-is-no... and it caught my interest :)
Karl Kindt
Fantastic photos, some never published anywhere else, with great commentary and explanation.
Martin
How could you not fall in love with the Moon after seeing these pictures.
Katrin
This is an amazing book. The pictures are so clear and stunning.
Jraptor
Pretty. Very pretty, but little content.
John Dalton
This book is simply gorgeous.
Joe
Great picture book.
Dis
Dis marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Tj Reeves
Tj Reeves marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Doug Holly
Doug Holly marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
jrthebutler
jrthebutler marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sydnee
Sydnee marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Emily Williams
Emily Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
  • Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon
  • Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • Moondust: In Search Of The Men Who Fell To Earth
  • We Seven: By the Astronauts Themselves
  • Failure is not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond
  • The Case for Mars: The Plan to Settle the Red Planet and Why We Must
Michael Light is a San Francisco-based photographer and bookmaker focused on the environment and how contemporary American culture relates to it. His work is concerned both with the politics of that relationship and the seductions of landscape representation. He has exhibited extensively nationally and internationally, and his work has been collected by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, The...more
More about Michael Light...
100 Suns Bingham Mine/Garfield Stack Clinician's Guide to Pediatric Chronic Illness Socialmedia Influence - Currency of the Future LA Day/LA Night