Going Interstellar

Going Interstellar

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A collection of tales by an all-star assortment of award winning authors including Ben Bova, Mike Resnick, Jack McDevitt, Michael Bishop, Sarah Hoyt and more together with essays on high technology by space scientists and engineers – all taking on new methods of star travel.

Some humans may be content staying in one place, but many of us...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Going Interstellar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Interstellar

David
Jul 03, 2012 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Interstellar astronauts, physicists, anyone who watched the Apollo missions
I still swear I remember watching one of the moon landings on TV. I was barely five years old when Apollo 17 sent the last men to the moon, so maybe I am mistaken, but I am sure this is one of my earliest memories.

Going Interstellar is a collection of short stories and essays by notable science fiction authors and physicists with the obvious theme of going interstellar. This book appears to be a labor of love, published by Baen, that stalwart of hardcore hard SF nerds. These people (the editors...more
Ron
Better than average anthology of science fiction and fantasy. (Don't let the name fool you.)

One gen made the whole lot worthwhile.
Trike
There are some really great stories here about life aboard interstellar starships. The hook for this collection is that they're all scientifically possible. Which isn't as heavy as you might think, since the focus really isn't on the science. Plus the last two stories really don't have much to do with it.

The last story is by Mike Resnick and it doesn't belong here. It's a fanciful tale about a race through the solar system and the "real story" about how one ship disappeared. It really should hav...more
Ed Wyrd
Great read. Premise revolves around short stories featuring plausible interstellar travel, written by Ben Bova, Mike Resnick, Jack McDevitt, among others. It also includes several interesting and readable essays about the facts and possibility of interstellar travel, how it can be achieved and what Mankind has already done. Highly recommended.
Dan Thompson
I’ve read other novels by McDevitt and enjoyed them quite a bit, so when this anthology came out, I was quick to buy it. Overall, it was pretty good, but its mixed nature made it inconsistent.

I enjoyed all the essays. They were full of facts, history, and a reasonable amount of hard science. They even had a few diagrams, so I’m glad I bought it in dead-tree edition rather than e-book. Mostly the essays dealt with various proposals for real interstellar spacecraft that would plod along at slower...more
Tommy Carlson
This in an intriguing combination of fiction and non, all dealing with interstellar travel. The fiction is pretty sweet, going beyond the usual. (Buddhists in space? Really?) The non-fiction is good, but focused solely on drive alternatives. I would have liked to see some other aspects covered.

One bonus is that most of the non-fiction pieces reference other books that would be of interest.
Alan
Take a scientist and a science fiction writer and give them the following assignment: create a short story and essay collection about interstellar travel using existing technology. No warp drives, no FTL at all. The essays will be by those working in the field of interstellar travel today.

The result is a very nice mix of fact and fiction. The essays are very much in laymen terms, so need for an average reader to break out their university texts to understand those. The stories are a split betwee...more
Craig
This is a better-than-average anthology of science articles and science fiction stories, just the kind of book that Jim Baen used to like to publish thirty-or-so years ago. I found all of the non-fiction pieces to be enjoyable, if a bit less enthusiastic than I expected. There are good stories from Ben Bova, Jack McDevitt, Mike Resnick, Michael Bishop (though it was little too long), and Sarah Hoyt. The best piece in the book was a thought-provoking story by Louise Marley, "Design Flaw." It didn...more
David Palazzolo
I enjoyed this book immensely. There was a lot on the science fact articles I already had heard before, but much more I hadn't. The stories were all worth reading--Twenty Lights to "the Land of Snow" being the best, but a couple of the stories needed a little more work. The Big Ship and the Wise Old Owl is the one that stands out in this respect--I found the environment and use of nursery rhymes really fascinating but solutions came too easily to the protagonists. There was little to no suspense...more
Clayton Yuen
Well, a collection of scifi stories with a common theme provides several writers in one book. Good and bad ...... but generally okay since it WAS all about Going Interstellar?!?

Three stars for the average short story . . . .
Darrell Grizzle
A great anthology of science fiction stories and science-fact articles about interstellar travel. The stories by Michael Bishop and Ben Bova are standouts in an excellent collection.
Barry Brook
Good mix of hard sci-fi (various short stories, all involving subluminal travel) and interesting factual-based essays on the mid-term possibilities for interstellar flight.
Liam
A neat collection of short stories and essays about generation ships and near-future space travel. Nice read.
Byron
Awesome anthology and came at a perfect time to help shape New Eden.
Pétur
Absolutely splendid works of art.
Les
Jul 18, 2014 Les rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Donna Noth
Donna Noth marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
John Adkins
John Adkins marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Dave
Dave added it
Jun 16, 2014
Sarah Jamison
Sarah Jamison marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Pataz
Pataz marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Silent1985
Silent1985 marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Les is the author or co-author of both popular science and science fiction. His latest science fiction novel, Rescue Mode, was co-written with Ben Bova, and released by Baen Books on June 3. In April, Springer Books released his popular science book, Harvesting Space for a Greener Earth, co-written with Gregory Matloff and C Bangs.

By day, Les is the Senior Technical Advisor for NASA's Advanced Co...more
More about Les Johnson...
Paradise Regained: The Regreening of Earth Free Nonfiction 2011 Sky Alert!: When Satellites Fail Living Off the Land in Space: Green Roads to the Cosmos Back to the Moon