Start by marking “Sleep” as Want to Read:
Sleep

Sleep

Jane has just murdered a man. Now, in addition to monitoring her ship's systems as she makes a freight run between the planets of Silvanus and Folan, she has to figure out how to get rid of the body. She also has to come up with a plausible story to explain the man's absence. And what she would really like, more than anything else, is to get some rest. But sleep will not c ...more
Published (first published November 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep

Benjamin Wretlind
Feb 09, 2012 Benjamin Wretlind rated it it was amazing
There's something unique in the world out there: writers you never heard of and work you never thought you might read. "Sleep" by Michael K. Rose fits both of those profiles, and it's refreshing to know there is more by this author. With a Poe-esque feel, "Sleep" takes you through the psychological breakdown a woman on a ship who really--and I mean really--needs to dispose of a body without being caught. While reading the story, I was constantly reminded of Poe's "Tell Tale Heart." Not that the ...more
Stefano
Jul 02, 2012 Stefano rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent short novellette. Every time I read a writing by Michael K. Rose I'm surprised by his really good prose and inventive.
As the title of my review says it reminds me of E. A. Poe, science fiction and a bit of horror masterfully combined.
If you like this kind of literature I suggest you to buy Short Stories, the complete collection of (as the title says :) short stories by Michael K. Rose.
Daniel
Dec 09, 2011 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Michael K. Rose's Sleep is a true gem of a story among thousands of mediocre ones on the market.

Anna a freighter pilot commits the ultimate sin,murder, during her trek from planet Silvanus and Faris. Now she must figure out how cover it up.

Sleep,in the vein of Poe's A Tell Tale Heart, keeps a steady pace and keeps the reader guessing. A perfect read for a rainy day or whenever you have free time.
Alexia Purdy
Nov 28, 2011 Alexia Purdy rated it it was amazing
Story telling at its best. Sleep had me gripping my chair in suspense, anxiety and fear for the main character. This short story has it all.

Rich descriptions and great inner dialogue. Part sci-fi part ghost/horror story, a combination executed brilliantly. An engaging quick read to make you gasp. I highly recommend it and can't wait to read more from this author.
Mitsy
Dec 29, 2012 Mitsy rated it really liked it
Excellent beginning. Interesting story. Well written. Scary ending. I just want more. That's a good thing. :) I will definitely read other books by this author. :)
Pamela
Sep 03, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it
This is a futurist story which talks about the murder of a man commited by a woman Jane who is in a sky ship. In the ship something occurs between the man and the woman that she get to kill him, probably because of the lack of sleep or some psycological outrage. The story is related to space trips and the reaction of people into space traveling for long time.

I did like the story since I like futurist topics. And not just futuris because something similar happened to me ones. I was awarded with a
Robert Zimmermann
Sep 02, 2012 Robert Zimmermann rated it really liked it
This was a good story. I've been meaning to check out Rose's work for some time and felt starting with a short story would work best with my schedule, at the moment.

I was pleased with this. I enjoyed the mystery that the somewhat cliff-hanger ending left. There are a few possibilities for the source of the incessant tap, tap, tapping. I can't choose just one that I'd like to see as the cause.

As a first venture into Rose's work, I feel it was a good move on my part. I won't hesitate to read more
Melissa
Jul 08, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This was a very good short story, imo. I'm not usually big on reading the sci-fi genre (space travel and things of that nature), but this wasn't bad. I know this is probably going to go into the goodreads database as one book, just because the way goodreads counts short stories by themselves is flawed, I'll just try to read an extra full book to make up for it later.
Allie Burke
Jun 13, 2014 Allie Burke rated it it was amazing
A flowing short story that was well written, imaginative, and downright creepy. I was anxious while reading it and felt for Jane in every blink of the eye and thought that passed through her head. The suspenseful style kept me turning the pages quickly, and I thought it ended on the perfect note. A thorough and enjoyable story, for sure.
Jessica
Jan 24, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Very descriptive, and certainly created a sense of unease which prompted me to read 2 more short stories before drifting off. Jane's character seems to morph, which in the grand scheme of characters is fantastic. Tap..tap..tap..
Amayzun
Dec 28, 2012 Amayzun rated it liked it
The outcome of this was pretty predictable about a quarter into the story. Anytime a story has to do with someone who is isolated on a ship & has done something bad, it's always their mind messing with them or their conscious messing with them.
Brian Deegan
Jul 07, 2012 Brian Deegan rated it it was ok
2.5/5.0 I seem to be in the minority on this one! While I liked the style of writing and I would read one of his longer stories without hesitation. I personally find this type of story frustrating! Yes I knew it was going to be short but I still like an end to a story, short or otherwise.....
Cheri
Dec 28, 2012 Cheri rated it it was ok
This is a SHORT story. It has a creepy horror story quality to it but it ends so abruptly that the "mysterious element" to the story isn't really resolved.
Denise
Aug 03, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it
'Sleep' is a quick read that has a creepy effect. I'd have to read the series to understand the story as a whole. But this short story has a whoa effect. A good read.
Jeno
Oct 02, 2012 Jeno rated it really liked it
A nice cozy scary story. Though a few times questions "why...?" popped up in my mind during reading, the scare part is done well.
M. Starks
M. Starks rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Abby Miller
Abby Miller rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2012
B.P. Crouse
B.P. Crouse rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Scott Harris
Scott Harris rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Andrew Rose
Andrew Rose rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Babak Farrokhi
Babak Farrokhi rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Jagjeet
Jagjeet rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Joseph W Barta
Joseph W Barta rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2016
Cassandra Stryffe
Cassandra Stryffe rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2012
John Marinko
John Marinko rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Joe Rooney
Joe Rooney rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Barbara Hutchinson
Barbara Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Goodreads Authors...: Free SciFi Horror Story SLEEP 1 6 Jul 08, 2012 11:38AM
Goodreads Authors...: Sleep - A SciFi Horror Short Story 2 5 Dec 14, 2011 07:09AM
Goodreads Authors...: SLEEP - Free for 2 Days 4 13 Dec 14, 2011 07:07AM
Michael K. Rose is a part-time writer and a full-time idler.
More about Michael K. Rose...