Start by marking “Jinx: The Definitive Collection” as Want to Read:
Jinx: The Definitive Collection

Jinx: The Definitive Collection

Incredibly witty dialogue, sharp characterization, and striking film noir style artwork make Goldfish and Jinx two thoroughly interesting protagonists and two compelling stand-alone graphic novels. A female bounty hunter, a handsome small-time grifter, and his swarmy partner search for a hidden treasure that takes them on a winding trail through the seedy underbelly of Cle ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Image Comics (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Jinx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jinx

Marissa
Oct 20, 2010 Marissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix, crime
I was hoping I'd be more into this than I was, considering how much I love crime novels and noir and comic books, but I just couldn't quite get into it. I feel like some graphic novels really try too hard to be cinematic, to the point that you'd rather watch the movie of it than actually read it. This is definitely the case with Jinx, which isn't badly written per se, but the stark black and white silhouetted drawing style made it hard to figure out what was even going on in a lot of the action ...more
Bucletina
Bendis en su mejor faceta: la de los diálogos inteligentes y los personajes abatidos. Una joyita.
Mike
Oct 23, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
I picked this up at a book signing by Bendis last week. I haven't read it in years and years, and I've read so much of Bendis since that time, I wasn't sure how this would hold up.

As indie comics go, this is a winner. It's amazing how much of Bendis' talent for dialogue was already there in the beginning, and how well he tuned into that talent and focused on it. I'm also impressed by the art renderings - I totally forgot that Bendis used to do the art for his books, and I would've encouraged him
Aaron
Apr 05, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed Brian Michael Bendis' disturbing true crime graphic novel Torso considerably more, Jinx is an excellent, complex crime series that features some truly lovable and fascinating characters. The story is solid, but what makes Jinx so fun to read is the clever, often times hilarious dialogue. The mysteries within may get solved a little too quickly for my liking, but that's just about my only complaint. I most definitely intend to read more of Bendis' work in the future.
Variaciones Enrojo
Reseña de David Fernández para Zona Negativa:

En 1995, un semidesconocido guionista de Cleveland iniciaba, de la mano de la editorial independiente Caliber Press, la publicación de una peculiar serie titulada Jinx. La colección se centraba en las aventuras y desventuras de una cazarrecompensas, dos timadores de poca monta, y un botín de 3.000.000 de dólares.

Apenas 10 años más tarde, Jinx se ha convertido en un pequeño clásico de los cómics de género negro,
Chauncey Bird
It's hard to put my finger on it, but reading this just felt like I was reading a B-movie. The characters reacted unrealistically dramatic to circumstances, the dialog had its fair share of cheese, and the story arc seemed pretty flat. There were several times when I thought "what? yeah right." And that was distracting. I'm a sucker for crime fiction, and it did scratch that itch. But overall there was just something lacking.
Baxter
Nov 10, 2016 Baxter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually one to write reviews but I had to for this one.
I can't believe this gets any critical acclaim?
Artwork seems obviously cheap, story seems unoriginal.
The endless banter ,rather than entertained me, bored me to an early grave.
I want my 3 hours back Brian!
1 star for quantity (480 pages) and another out of mercy...
D.M.
Jun 01, 2012 D.M. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was reading Bendis back when there was still a Caliber Press to publish him, and liked him from the start. He did a signing at the shop where I worked way back then, and he was a decent enough guy that I didn't mind being an early supporter. Jinx was always hard for me, though. While I love Torso, and enjoyed AKA Goldfish, there's always been something about this series that didn't quite pull me in. So, I didn't buy it when it came out. I found this copy at a bargain book shop about a week ago ...more
Jared
Jan 26, 2008 Jared rated it it was ok
Pros: It's a compelling story--compelling enough that I want to seek out the rest of it despite all of the cons...

Cons:
First off, I bought this book used and only after realizing it did I realize that it's only the first four issues of a 15 or more issue story; it does say this in small print inside the book, but the outside is very misleading in this regard (my two star rating refers to this edition specifically, and not the story per se). Next, the book is horribly edited, with several mispell
Peter Goutis
Jul 31, 2011 Peter Goutis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bendis! What can I say about this? Bendis can write. He's my favorite comic writer. His stuff isn't just super heroes saving the day (even when he's writing about super heroes saving the day), it's pieces of life captured on paper.

It's good solid writing, with good solid well rounded characters. Once I got into this, I hated putting it down. It's a good con story. It's got all the twist and seedy characters the add tons of color to this black and white tale.

Bendis is really known for his dialogu
Max
Aug 24, 2008 Max rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finally dug in and muscled through this work. I'm a huge fan of Powers because of its novel storytelling and brilliant dialogue. This is an earlier work for Brian Michael Bendis, and it definitely feels like an underdone work. I haven't read Goldfish, its predecessor, and it might have helped me enjoy this work more. Bendis likes the sound of his dialogue overmuch, and while his story is an interesting noir crime story, the love affair with the dialogue doesn't move the story along. It stretches ...more
J.
Jun 28, 2012 J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Good dialogue, a very noir storyline revolving around bounty hunters, grifters, and some missing loot. Pretty typical early Bendis in that sense. The real drawback is the inconsistent art (I didn't know Bendis did art). It's done in a mix of standard black/white ink and photocopying, like a cheap zine, sort of. This is, sometimes, very cool and moody. But other times it gets overly muddy and distracting. Also, the plot gets a little thin at times; sometimes, this gives the characters room to cha ...more
Bobby Jackson
Apr 09, 2014 Bobby Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this graphic novel for my comic book club. I found the story to be pretty engaging overall. I really like the way Brian writes dialogue for the characters.

The downfall of this novel is the readability of the text bubbles. Sometimes the pages have your eyes rolling all over the place because they're trying to squish so much text into one page and it can be disorienting at times. Plus, although I get why they're doing the black and white artwork, I found it sometimes hard to read because th
Caroline
May 06, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This quickly vaulted onto my list of 'best things ever.'

I'd ask where this book has been all my life except that I know I bought it over a year ago and just only now bothered to read it.

Nonetheless. One of the best things ever.

ETA: Re-read! Apparently when I read this two years ago, it left me totally incoherent with how much I liked it. Definitely holds up -- though, God, some parts are intense -- and now I have to try to put it into words.
Rosa
When I requested this from the library I had no idea what it was about, so I was kind of excited when it was a gritty crime noir type thing. Two grifters and a bounty hunter go looking for 3 million in cash. Loved Jinx and watching her get to know Gold, especially their dialogue. The different art styles were really interesting although I did once have a little trouble distinguishing male characters from each other.
Tyler
Aug 29, 2011 Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, own
Good art, fun story. What's really terrific about Bendis is his dialogue though. He writes the most realistic conversations I've ever read in a comic book - maybe in any book. Want to read more of his stuff.

On the second read, can't imagine why I didn't give it 5 stars to begin with. One of the best comics I've read - completely original in story and again, the dialogue is completely untouchable.
Ryan Haupt
Mar 14, 2012 Ryan Haupt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I had to start this book maybe 3 times before it clicked and I was able to finish. A lot of the things I don't like about Powers are on display here, but Bendis' storytelling vision is clear enough to make this enjoyable and educational. Plus the backmatter is actually worth your time, and that's always a pleasant surprise.
Valissa
Jun 28, 2012 Valissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
ah nothing like greed to send one off into a disturbed and harrowing sleep. While the art is striking and exciting, it is stark, brutal, and hard. I fear that this will be turned into a type of Jackie Brown in the near future, if it hasn't been already.
Patrick
Oct 12, 2011 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, read-in-2011
It's been a long time since I read Goldfish, Bendis' other book in this series. I remember enjoying it much more then this volume. The actual story of isn't bad, but you have to get through more then a hundred pages of talking heads, and the talking heads are not interesting enough to be reading that long. If your a fan of Bendis, you may want to check it out, but I was underwhelmed.
Anthony Simons
Jan 23, 2013 Anthony Simons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is like watching a Tarantino film in graphic novel form; an engaging storyline, with lots of small-talk and almost pointless dialogue stitching the whole meandering thing together. I really enjoyed it.
Charles
Good book by Bendis, who both wrote AND drew it. I used to be a big Bendis fan, but after a while his shtick starts getting old. And while this is definitely one of his better books, I guess I'm a bit too burnt out by Bendis to give it any more than three stars.
Tim
Aug 07, 2007 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime comic fans
Shelves: comicshelf
Nice early story from Brian Michael Bendis. For those comic book readers out there that wonder how he broke into Marvel, check this out. When he was hungry he did some great work, and this is a great example of it. It makes the insipid superhero work he does now even more painful to read.
Justin
Jul 12, 2011 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bendis' homage to Sergio Leone; it's a modernized rendition of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly with a romantic twist. The characters are interesting and it's well written, but a little long winded at times which throws off the pacing.
Jdetrick
There's a semi interesting story here, but it's buried under some truly bad artwork and tons of unnecessary dialogue. I know that dialogue is one of Bendis' strengths, but I think he went a little overboard here, with pages of unnecessary conversation that drag the story to a halt.
Megan
Crime drama of the Bendis ouvre. Ties in with "Goldfish" if you've read that one. As usual, the dialogue is the best bit, though this one is a little weak in my opinion. This earlier stuff reads like Bendis idolizes Tarantino, perhaps, whereas later stuff has more of his own voice.
Zachariah
Apr 07, 2014 Zachariah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad for a Sin City-like story with the plot from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Nice modern take. I was only partly confused in some of the panels where the detail was needed. Other than that, I read Powers and love Bendis' dialogue use. Very similar to real speech. Nice one.
Jim Sangwine
Jun 18, 2014 Jim Sangwine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great prequel to Goldfish, but not as good as Goldfish. Some of the bizarre sections in the final quarter of the book left me a bit cold. I felt they held the story up more than providing meaningful background to the characters. Still, a worthy read.
Joshua
Jul 25, 2013 Joshua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much disliked the whole thing, but read it all. The best thing about the book is the funny story about Bendis nearly getting arrested during production for carrying a machete and a rifle during a reference photo shoot on a bridge.
Heather Fryling
Jun 09, 2015 Heather Fryling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Black and white art captures the fast-paced, confusing, yet starkly defined world of two two-bit hoods and a female bounty hunter with a shock of thick, black hair. Highly recommended.
Matt Piechocinski
Probably my least favorite of the early Bendis years. Pretty formulaic, not to mention overly long.
  • Scene of the Crime: A Little Piece of Goodnight
  • Casanova, Volume 1: Luxuria
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2
  • Scalped, Volume 10: Trail's End
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score
  • Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, Vol. 2
  • The Last Days of American Crime

More about Brian Michael Bendis...