Start by marking “El cuerpo en que nací” as Want to Read:
El cuerpo en que nací

El cuerpo en que nací

Inspirada en la infancia de la autora, El cuerpo en que nací es la historia de una niña con un defecto de nacimiento en un ojo. Su vida, durante los años setenta, se ve influida por su escasa visión pero también por la ideología dominante en esa época: el matrimonio abierto de sus padres, las escuelas activas, las comunas hippies, la libertad sexual y su correlato. Las dif ...more
Published July 20th 2011 by Anagrama (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about El cuerpo en que nací, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El cuerpo en que nací

poingu
As I read I felt I was listening to an extremely intelligent person tell her story, a person who has the perception, and the bravery, to remember her childhood as the chaotic and helpless time it was. Political upheaval in Mexico and throughout South America during Nettel's childhood comes slantingly through this autobiographical novel, told the way a child would perceive it. I feel made aware of events like the 1968 Tlatelolco massacre in a very different way from what I'd learn from reading no ...more
Antigone
Jul 23, 2015 Antigone rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mexican author Guadalupe Nettel is a new voice in Spanish literature. She's received some keen attention and won a few awards. This is the first novel to be translated into English; a slim fiction structured as a young woman's conversation with her therapist. The therapist has no part to play beyond providing an obstruction to rail against. What we're really looking at here is one hundred and seventy-five pages of monologue.

The woman speaks of being born with a visual defect that forced her into
Book Riot Community
The narrator of this novel is reflecting back on her unusual childhood from her psychoanalyst's couch. Born in Mexico City with a birth defect that her family is intent on fixing, the narrator uses her perceptive eye to share her painful memories of trying to grow up unscathed in a life full of tragedy. Nettel is a fiercely talented writer, and this is her first novel to appear in English. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more from her.

Do you get our New Books! newsletter, the once a week, to-you
Natalie
This is a hard one for me to rate, I would say 3.5.

She writes beautifully but at the same time it feels at times too reserved. I also found the fact that it was supposed to be her speaking from a psychoanalyst couch impossible to believe a) because there was absolutely no analyst or interaction/just the occasional question addressed to her absent Doctor and b) if it was supposed to appear like the telling of stories on an analysts couch then this carefully controlled and edited story couldn't be
julieta
Oct 18, 2016 julieta rated it liked it
Shelves: mexico
Hace años leí "Petalos" un excelente libro de cuentos de Nettel. Este es un reencuentro con ella, y es más bien una novela autobiográfica sobre su infancia. Me gustó mucho, excepto por un detalle. Cada tanto mete un comentario hacia una tal "doctora Sazlavski" a quien menciona cada tanto, supongo que para sentir que es una novela?

Tengo la teoría de que los escritores mexicanos son geniales con las novelas autobiográficas (Educando a los topos de Fadanelli, o mi favorita Canción de tumba, de Her
Bjorn
Jun 15, 2015 Bjorn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mexico
"Perhaps, by the time I finally finish, this book won't be more than a collection of lies to my parents and my brother. I console myself by thinking that all objectivity is subjective."

Autofiction is at times a tiresome, but nevertheless interesting genre. In my recent reading, The Body Where I Was Born (taking its title from Ginsberg) occupies, along with fellow semi-French Bouraoui, a third corner of the triangle including Knausgård and Hoppe. An eventful but not overly traumatic outsider adol
Alexia
Feb 29, 2016 Alexia rated it it was amazing
Hasta ahora creo que ésta sería mi recomendación de este año. Entre más libros leo de ella más me gusta. Este libro es la historia muy personal de una niña y su universo particular, y el caos que en ello se entraña cuando uno crece y el universo sin remedio se resquebraja.
Canal-L El canal de los libros en Internet
"Tu vida no puede ser contada sin el contexto político en medio del cual creciste" http://www.canal-l.com/index.php?id_v...
Rachel
There were so many beautiful, evocative moments in this book.
Breno Filo
May 15, 2016 Breno Filo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"O corpo em que nascemos, certamente não é o mesmo em que deixamos o mundo..." ~ Guadalupe, tuas marcas e cicatrizes atravessaram as minhas de um modo tão delicado e leve. Ah!
Iván
Dec 19, 2013 Iván rated it did not like it
Antes que nada, quiero decir que llegué a este libro con expectativas altas. Había oído cosas buenas de Nettel y me sentía muy interesado por una autora mexicana moderna, porque no leo tantas cosas actuales. Esto lo digo para decir hasta que punto mis expectativas bajas contrastaron con el libro que leí. Creo realmente que esto es una vergüenza de libro y me siento un poco indignado que esto fuera escrito por una mujer con un doctorado en letras.
Antes que nada tengo que decir que Nettel no escri
David
Nov 06, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: español, mexican-lit
This book was a sheer delight to read from beginning to end. Nettel has an easy going pace that doesn't make this a page turner, rather everytime I picked it up, I enjoyed the leisure of how the story unfolds.

A simple tale it is. This is her autobiography from when she was born with an eye condition in her right eye to when she was old enough to get a cornea transplant (around 16). Now she didn't have a simple life. Born to hippy parents in 1973, there was free love, her parents' separation, her
Jessica
This is really a memoir masquerading as a novel. It's good, even so, insightful and well-written. As someone who's lived in Mexico City, I was particularly interested in her life and perspective there--of course, it's the particular perspective of a young person of the privileged class, but Nettel seems a reliable guide to her corner of that world. "In Mexico, social classes rival the caste system in India" (154), she writes. She also went to school in Aix-en-Provence while her mother was finish ...more
André Sá
Jun 12, 2016 André Sá rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nossa isso sim é um relato autobiográfico. Em que momento resolvi habitar o meu corpo? um libro de Muitas perguntas e muitas pistas
Dulce
Feb 05, 2013 Dulce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reí y lloré con la historia. Imposible no identificarme con una niña y adolescente q vivió mi México y esa angustia de una familia conservadora "progresista".
A
Jun 20, 2017 A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, e-book
Through the LAPL Aloud series, Guadalupe Nettel came onto my radar. In February 2017, she was in conversation with another writer from Mexico City, Valeria Luiselli, whose work I had read. Even though the podcast was bilingual, and my Spanish comprehension is limited, I new that Guadalupe Nettel was a writer I wanted to read.

This book was translated from Spanish. The English translation is beautifully written, hopefully close to the original. The story of
Jonathan Ortiz
Feb 23, 2017 Jonathan Ortiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novela en que Guadalupe Nettel comparte el mundo interior de su infancia descrita de tal manera que uno termina sintiendo simpatía por la narradora y los distintos personajes que la acompañan a lo largo de ese tránsito en su primera juventud y adolescencia. La intimidad de los sentimientos y sensaciones que van aconteciendo como la lluvia son narrados con tal sencillez que hay momentos en los que nos hace dudar si uno tiene recuerdos similares, si también los vivimos o si es un engaño de nuestra ...more
Susan
Jun 23, 2017 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mexico
A beautiful work of fiction that also felt very autobiographical. A young girl is born with a minor birth defect - which is experienced a a major defect by her mother. This middle class Mexican family moves through marriage, divorce, life in Mexico City during turbulent times, financial troubles. All beautifully written and engaging.
Alicia
Jun 10, 2017 Alicia rated it it was ok
Muy buen título, pero el libro en sí no tiene nada especial.
May 04, 2017 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
It's always interesting to read about growing up in a different culture, but this memoir lacks the introspection and depth that would give it meaning.
René  Llatas Trejo
Sep 13, 2016 René Llatas Trejo rated it really liked it
El primer acercamiento que tuve a la obra de Guadalupe Nettel (Ciudad de México, 1973) fue con su libro de relatos Pétalos, y otras historias incómodas (Anagrama, 2008). El libro tenía epígrafes de Julio Ramón Ribeyro y de Mario Bellatin, y abordaba a personajes peculiares obsesivos con su entorno. Ciertamente, lo que más cuesta a un escritor es construir su propio lenguaje pese a las influencias y prejucios que se nos pueden endilgar. Sucede que de Guadalupe Nette han dicho que tiene una prosa ...more
Louisa Keron
Feb 20, 2016 Louisa Keron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated, monologue

This story about a woman’s childhood deals with multiple issues such as dealing with an incarcerated father, an interesting relationship with maternal figures and the multiple kinds of friendships one can have as a child. Overall, it is a nice book with interesting characters and pleasant writing. The only issue is that there isn’t enough excitement to make it a truly amazing book.

The Body Where I was Born is presented as a monologue to the imaginary therapist Dr. Sazlavski. While it was inte
Lisa
The Body Where I Was Born, by Guadalupe Nettel intrigued me for a number of reasons. I came across it when it was longlisted for the 2016 Best Translated Book Award, and liked the blurb; and then I discovered that UWAP (University of Western Australia Press) had the rights to publish it in Australia. I was a bit puzzled by that. UWAP (as far as I can tell from their website) doesn’t publish much in the way of translated fiction – why this book, I wondered?

I suspect now that I know the answer. It
Sarah-Hope
Jun 03, 2015 Sarah-Hope rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Sight is the dominant leitmotif in Guadalupe Nettel’s The Body Where I Was Born. There’s the unnamed narrator’s own sight, defective from birth, and which is complicated by efforts to correct it. There’s the narrator’s emotional sense of sight—her ability to see the behavior and motives of those around her, even when they wish she wouldn’t. She also has a sort of reflective sight, an ability (or compulsion) to see the timeline of her own life.

The Body Where I Was Born is essentially a monologue.
Annette
Dec 23, 2015 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a plethora of gifts...the gift of wonderfully crafted language, the gift of an intriguing tale, the gift of a deeper understanding of disabilities, families and the intersection of identity.
Bringing a diverse background forward like a well examined tapestry, this reflection from the psychoanalyst's couch is at once deeply personal and universal, simultaneously.
Nettel's voice is an evocative blend of mysterious sounds, gently remembered - a muezzin call to prayer, the Sabbath bride
Michelle Despres

Commendable in two ways: The story was fascinating. And somehow both the writer and translator were able to evoke a different version of our narrator as she went from childhood to adulthood. I could feel how she was changing, and I could feel how different her adult self was from each of her childhood selves. I felt the same way about the characterization of her mother also. It was incredibly interesting.

This is one of those reading experiences where I understand some of the criticism. I just ha
Rositsa
Oct 11, 2016 Rositsa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book and so I kept on reading although it started quite slowly. I got up at 5.30am one day to finish it before work, still hoping to find what I had missed in its first half. But I didn’t.

There is no aimless hurry, pressure or eliteness in the story, but there is no comprehensiveness in it either. The Body Where I Was Born reads like a chronicle of events not feelings, of survivals not experiences, of attempts at looking for an identity not the results of those endless trie
World Literature Today
"In The Body Where I Was Born, 2016 Neustadt Prize nominee Guadalupe Nettel describes the history of a young girl with an abnormality in her eye. This abnormality is the obsession of her mother, who adamantly insists on fixing her daughter. The Body Where I Was Born infuses the reader with an intimate portrait of the astute and wondrous depth that children use to observe and makes sense of humanity. The language in the book is poetic yet accessible, and at certain points Nettel hits you with a s ...more
Joseph Muniz
Apr 11, 2013 Joseph Muniz rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joseph by: ediciones era
14 / 52 El cuerpo en que naci.Guadalupe Nettel.

Después de tener la oportunidad de leer la participación de Guadalupe Nettel en el libro "15 Trazos", de Ediciones Era, con mini-autobiografías de autores mexicanos nacidos hacia finales de los sesenta, inicio de los setentas, la siguiente parada era leer su libro autobiográfico.

Con una envolvente sencillez, Guadalupe Nettel nos hace partícipes de las aventuras que la formaron como niña, adolescente y jóven; cómo se vive y sobrevive un divorcio de s
Kelly
Apr 05, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This simple, autobiographical novel (almost a novella, really) tells the story of the author's childhood and adolescence, spent partially in Mexico, and partially in a Parisian suburb.

The Body Where I Was Born is a quick but absorbing read, particularly if you enjoy the descriptions of exotic places and the people that inhabit them. Coming-of-age stories are universal, but seeing someone experience the awkwardness of growing up while also trying to assimilate into two very different cultures pu
The Mookse and th...: 2016 Longlist: The Body Where I Was Born 1 2 Mar 29, 2016 07:20AM
  • The Polish Boxer
  • Self-Portrait in Green
  • Shantytown
  • Canción de tumba
  • Shadow Without a Name
Guadalupe Nettel (born 1973) is a Mexican writer. She was born in Mexico City and obtained a PhD in linguistics from the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales in Paris. She has published in several genres, both fiction and non-fiction.

Nettel is a prolific author and a regular contributor to both Spanish- and French-language magazines, including Letras Libres, Hoja por hoja, L'atelier du rom
More about Guadalupe Nettel...

“Como si al obsesivo capitán Ahab le anunciaran de pronto que la ballena ha encallado definitivamente y que no podrá perseguirla nunca más.” 1 likes