Love is Fear (Valerie Dearborn, #2)

Love is Fear (Valerie Dearborn #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,177 ratings  ·  160 reviews
Love is Fear is the highly anticipated sequel to the Number One Fantasy Bestseller, Love is Darkness.

After a lot of swearing and only a little nookie, Valerie Dearborn has decided to make a change. No more lusting after Lucas, the hot, but emotionless, vampire king who can’t commit. Instead she’s going to make it work with Jack. After all, not only is he breathing, but he...more
Published December 15th 2011 (first published December 14th 2011)

My Blood Approves by Amanda HockingSwitched by Amanda HockingFalling From Grace by S.L. NaeoleDark Spirits by Rebekkah FordA Timely Curse by Joseph DiBartolo
Indie Books - Paranormal Fiction
306th out of 1,663 books — 2,123 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningMoon Called by Patricia BriggsDark Lover by J.R. WardDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Gotta Have PNR's/UF's That Don't Suck!
196th out of 630 books — 503 voters

More lists with this book...

Keren Hughes
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars! (and would give it more if it was possible)

You know what? This book left me speechless! I could not think of a word to describe it accurately. So I left it a while, and came back to write this review.

I asked myself: Is it awesome? Yeah sure. Is it brilliant? Without a doubt. Is it breath-taking? Definitely! Is it captivating? Entirely. I could not stop devouring the words on the page.
The thing is, it was all of these things and more. I cannot think of enough w...more
Ghadeer A
Ok so I feel conflicted to say the least..

I can't decide if this series is so good that it feels bad or so bad that it feels good...?

I mean for one thing it is called Valerie Dearborn series but she is NOT the only leading character ..and the jumping from one POV to another sometimes so suddenly and in the middle of an important scene is annoying to say the least..not to mention the writing was not that good..

In some ways it reminds me of the Sookie Stackhouse series ..Valerie is an empath and S...more
Novels On The Run
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING: 5 SMOKIN' SCENE STEALING STARS!

Caroline went full throttle in this installment of Valerie Dearborn. I didn’t even write notes, my bad, as I just read with gluttonous abandon. I didn’t even stop for the many quotes I could rip from the pages. Once I started, there was no slowing down.

That is how this book made me feel. Crazy good!

I am going to tell those, who have not started this book/series, there is one scene in this book that goes on and on and on. * waggles eyebrow...more
Nazrin
So I just finished the book. I have conflicting emotions about it. I like everything - the story, the characters, the writing, but I was a bit sadened by the turn the plot took.
One thing in this book that I strangely like and dislike at the same time is the lack of black and white zone - everything is gray. What I mean is that none of the characters are either good or bad, they all have a little bit of both in them. In general it is a good thing in a book, it makes the characters more real and c...more
Gina
what. the. hell!!! i mean really!! WTH happened to book two here???? I was so totally disapointed with this book!!! Between all of the sex scenes (dont get me wrong i love a good romance novel) but good grief....this went into overkill for me. I had to force myself to even get as far as i did in this book hoping and praying that it would get better. BUT the last 25% i totally bailed on. I simply could not force myself to finish this book.....

So not worth it....
Flocharda
¿POR QUÉ CAROLINE, POR QUÉ? Y lo que más se me viene a la mente decir es: MIERDA, MIERDA, MIERDA

Ahora quiero despotricar contra los personajes y ESE final ¬¬

¿Por qué Jack? ¿Tan importante es la venganza? Ere un maldito hdp. Rachel, ojalá que mueras muuuuy lentamente, no me importa si a manos de Val o de Lucas, pero muerete maldita perra!!! ¿Si matan a Rachel, morirá Jack? Val, metiste la pata a lo grande, chica. Lucas, Dios mío, ¡que no te maten los Lobos!!!! Cer, ojalá la Reina hubiera quemado...more
VampireNovelFan
Love is Fear is even better than Book 1!

"He was on the ground, unmoving, bloody ropes of intestine surrounding him. He needs those, she thought stupidly and rushed to him, trying to stuff them back into his stomach."

In the latest Valerie Dearborn novel by Caroline Hanson, Love is Fear, we're finally delving into the supernatural world that we merely heard about in the first book. The playing field evens out as Lucas, Rachel, Valerie, and Jack are thrust into the land of the Fey where vampires a...more
Lina
It took me forever to finish this book. It dragged and dragged and dragged.

Seriously, Val needs a hobby, friends, books or to get out more. Gah! Being in her head was sooooooo boring!

This whole:
I love you Jack, but you're not good enough for me because you won't accommodate to my desires.
Lucas you're se hot I can keep myself restrained when I'm with you. Sure, you're a serial cold blooded killer, but hey, the sex is amazing, so sure I really don't care.

I don't like to swear, but: It's just so...more
Janice • The Demon Librarian
DNF @ 42%

I tried, OMG did I try, but Valerie is driving me absolutely bugf*ck. If I have to be inside her whiny-ass, immature head a minute longer, I swear I'm gonna break something.

Definitely NOT the series for me.
Shelley
Valerie has always wanted a normal, human life, but thanks to the vampires, her hopes were taken away when she was a child, and despite her efforts, they continue to pull her into their world and the dangers she is trying to avoid. which is difficult as she has been trained to be a vampire hunter. The sight of blood makes her faint, and she definately doesn't like being the target for any pain!
Even worse, Val carries a truck load of emotional baggage and that is where her problems really start....more
Pam Godwin
**This is a review of the trilogy as a whole.**

Forget Twilight. This series is one of the best hidden treasures amidst a genre of brooding passive-aggressive vampires. In this densely carnal, twisted take on fey, vampire, and otherworld magic, the heroine Valerie shines beneath the crushing weight of her love for two heroes. Jack, her childhood friend turned vampire hunter, is committed to keeping things platonically frustrating. Lucas, the 1600 year old vampire king, is complicated by his cold...more
Jodie
Wowza...I don't even know where to begin with this series...My thoughts are all over the shop. All I know for certain after reaching the final page is that I loathe cliff hangers (particularly when I google like crazy to find the authors blog & see she hasn't even written the 3rd book. Arghhhhhh) and also, that I adore this series. It is going down as one of my top 5!

Ok, where to start? Do you want me to write what the book is about? No, just read the damn book. Its everything you are hoping...more
Raquel
Kay
Valerie is an empath. Her kind use to be the mediator between the Others (vamps, weres, witches and the fae). Lucas, the vampire king, destroyed all the Others centuries ago. Now, he wants to bring the Others back with Valerie's help.

I liked this book a lot more than the first. Valerie makes a choice between Jack and Lucas in the beginning but happiness does not last long. It actually gets very complicated. These characters, including Rachel, are very complex. What is so great is that the autho...more
Ciara
Val, Val, Val!!!! What have you gotten yourself into? I must say that I absolutely LOVED this sequel and not just because I was anxiously anticipating it to be released since finishing the first one, Love is Darkness!!! Valerie Dearborn and me really would get along just great if she existed and let me tell ya, I would totally smack her around this time after the mess she's gotten herself into this time!!! Sometimes when we are so close to a situation we fail to see what is RIGHT in front of us,...more
Kristin
I LOVED the first book in this series. The story was great, the characters were interesting, and the ending was epic. I liked this entry, but I didn't love it (really more of a 3.5 star rating).Also, this is mildly SPOILERISH. Like a few other reviewers, I think my main issue is with Valerie. I don't get her motivations for her actions...I understand her misgivings, her trust issues, even her nostalgic feelings. None of that really explains her actions. They did read as organic for me, very few...more
Jenn Green
Vampires, Witches & Werewolves........ oh my!! And who could forget the Fey, the things that Vampires fear?!? Or Empaths?? This book is chock full of the Supernatural aka "Others"

In Love is Fear we start off with a brief glimpse back in time where we meet Cerdewellyn King of the Fey & find out the fate of the Others. Where they disappeared to & why.
And than it picks up right where we left off in Love is Darkness, with Val in quite the predicament.
From here on out this book does not s...more
Sara
Wow, this book contains one of the hottest sex scenes I have ever read. EVER. And I have read a lot of smutty stuff. Amazing. Where can I find a Lucas? The thing that bugged me the most about Valerie was all of her whining about "love" - her definition of love couldn't be accomplished by Lucas, but could it be accomplished by anyone? Isn't it different for everyone? How can she tell him what he can't and cannot feel?

I really started to dislike Jack, and wasn't surprised where he ended up. It fi...more
Valerie Yoder-specht
Whoa! I loved the first one and the same goes for this one. A new character is introduced in this book that is very mysterious, powerful and hot. This authors ending are abrupt so prepare yourself for that.Was anybody here a fan of Melrose Place? Her endings kinda make me feel like I did when that chick pulled off her wig and there was that hug nasty scar wrapping around her head and you're all like "WHAAAT?" and then the screen goes dark... But I totally tuned in the next season and I will tota...more
Phoebe
Alyssa Corpus
BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. I actually enjoyed the first book, but this one just went completely down-hill. All the characters that I liked in the first book I started to dislike, and all of the annoying characters I just could not stand. Stupid decisions were made constantly. The plot got really dark. Everything was dragged out. I got 80% through this book, but only because I was on a road trip. Usually after getting that far, I'd just finish the book, but this one I just couldn't. I can count the numb...more
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
That Jack and Rachel thing came like a freight train. Wasn't expecting that huge change though. Now Val has no one but a Fey king and has just been thrown off a cliff towards some power and knowledge she doesn't want.

I bet Lucas won't be too happy once he wakes up. Jack and Rachel will be. I wonder if they'll try to kill him and then go off on their rescue mission to save Rachel's niece from the witches. Will Jack realize he abandoned Valerie. She so needs to let him go now. He chose the vamp.

No...more
Say
one thing's for sure all the people here are horny........AS IN HORNY.....ALL OF THE FREAKIN' TIME!!! Lucas, Valerie, Jack even the freakin' fey! God, all of the characters here has SEX....SEX.....SEX on their minds! I really find it annoying. Don't get me wrong I liked how the story is going....vampires, fey, werewolves, witches but the characters were too much for me. Though Rachel is among the horny people, i find her less annoying at times.
Lisa
Wow! I just finished rereading this books to freshen my mind before reading Love is Mortal.I am so happy I did! This book and series is fantastic!So much action, deceit, love, dispair, lust, excitment,heat between the sheets (or any other surface for that matter lol),I could just go on and on.The characters are so well written, I even like the "evil " ones.A must read folks!
d‘Milady *aka*Dawn
I am absolutely loving this series, and this book is so much more then the first was! Amazing. Love the struggle within Val with trying to follow her heart and do what she thinks is right at the time. I am so excited to find out what the hell is gonna happen next! Definitely a series I would recommend to friends!
Lara
Daaaang........I'm hooked! Not usually into the type of books with uhh.....this much "steam" in them. Love some, but not quite to this degree. This series though is SO much more and all together I just can't get enough! Book 3 summer of 2012? Noooo!
Ladynight
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!
Well I thought it was impossible, but I loved it better than the first one!
This is one of those books that the second book is actually better than the first one. I couldn't put it way, I kept reading, and reading until I realized it had ended!!! and then I was like really??? Now What???
Well, now I bought the third one, and will read like right now!

Adoro este libro, ha sido una gran sorpresa pues no todos lo días uno encuentra un libro que es mejor que el primero y te...more
 Bella Marie
I was very disappointed by the second book of the series. Though I believe both Lucas and Jack are hoties hoties that doesnt mean that I have to read their embracements with Valerie. 70% of the book was about Val having hot steamy sex with either Lucas or Jack(mostly with Lucas)Lucas was like another Edward trying to persuade Val/Bella that drinking her blood would be a very very bad idea and Val freaking out about Jack's(almost non existent) relationship with Rachel. Ok we got the point that Lu...more
Tamis
description

QUE FINAL!!! No puedo creer que esto este pasando no lo esperaba ni de Jack ni de Lucas aun así soy Team Lucas, Jack nunca me gusto :/

Genialidad de libro, no me dejaba parar hasta que llegue al final fue simplemente MARAVILLOSO juro que casi me salen corazones de solo leerlo. No tengo palabras para el sigo en SHOCK con ese final.

Lo único malo del libro es que cambiaban aveces tanto sobre ahora quien contaba la historia que no sabia si era Val, Lucas, Rachel o Jack derrepente me perdía pero no h...more
Crystal
The author sent me this book as a gift, big thanks by the way :). This is the follow up to Love is Darkness and picks up right where it left off. Val chose Jack but found that the reality was not what she thought it would be. Quite frankly for most of the book I felt like all of the men in this book were competing for the douche bag of the year award. Everyone in Val's life has ulterior motivations where she is concerned and really I don't think any of them truly love her-that includes Jack.

The...more
  • Deceived (Gwen Sparks, #2)
  • A Bloody Good Secret (Secret McQueen, #2)
  • Twist (Mageri, #2)
  • Original Sin (Alexandra Jones, #2)
  • Blood Royal (Blood Destiny #5)
  • A Kiss of Blood (Vamp City, #2)
  • Bound by the Vampire (Blood and Absinthe, #2)
  • Half Black Soul (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #2)
  • Duncan (Vampires in America, #5)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Framed (Caged, #3)
  • Blood, Body and Mind (Aaron's Kiss, #1)
  • Vampire Wake (Kiera Hudson Series One, #2)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Possession of Souls (Of Witches and Warlocks, #5)
Caroline Hanson grew up in California and moved to London in order to dance and go to pubs. Eventually, she matured enough to marry and imported an Englishman, returning to the United States.

After passing the bar, she had two children and now tries to parent, read, write and play tennis. She's heard rumors that other mothers clean and cook but is putting in serious effort to make sure those rumors...more
More about Caroline Hanson...
Love is Darkness (Valerie Dearborn, #1) Bewitching the Werewolf Love Is Mortal (Valerie Dearborn, #3) Love Is The Beginning (Valerie Dearborn, #0.5) The Valerie Dearborn Trilogy (Valerie Dearborn, #1-3)

“He was beautiful, like looking at a favorite piece of artwork. Not something one can own, but something in a faraway museum, where she would have to go halfway around the world, push through crowds on people, just to catch a glimpse of his unreal splendor.” 4 likes