Start by marking “Lola Reads to Leo” as Want to Read:
Lola Reads to Leo

Lola Reads to Leo (Lola)

We all know how much Lola loves books. In this third book in the Lola series (LOLA AT THE LIBRARY and LOLA LOVES STORIES), Lola has a new baby brother and she can’t wait to share her love of reading with him. Lola gets ready for little Leo’s arrival by reading books about brothers and sisters and picking out the perfect stories that she just knows her little brother will l ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Charlesbridge (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lola Reads to Leo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lola Reads to Leo

Lisa Vegan
Apr 27, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older siblings & families where a new baby is due; book lovers; ages 2-6+
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Wow! I’m surprised that this book doesn’t show as having higher ratings. Right now the average is 3.64 stars. I loved it.

This is the perfect book for families with a child and expecting another child or where there is a younger/baby sibling in the family.

I have really liked at least two other Lola books but this one might be my favorite so far. Lola has a loving mother and father and she gets a bedtime story every night. Starting with Lola’s mommy’s pregnancy, Lola starts planning for and giving
SaraLaLa
Feb 18, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
If you're expecting to have a second baby, this would be a cute story to read to the first one. Lola is a soon-to-be big sister of Leo. He is born part way through the story and the family has to change their routine to comfort him. Throughout this story, Lola reads to Leo; a different type of story for each occasion. It's a sweet way to role model how an older sibling should behave. It even gently reminds the parents to not be too busy for their eldest child.

I only gave it 3 stars because, alt
Amy Forrester
Aug 12, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
As you may know from her other books (Lola Loves Stories and Lola at the Library), Lola loves to read. Her day always ends with a story read by her parents. In the newest Lola installment, Lola’s family is getting ready for a new baby. Lola helps by sorting through her books to find good stories for the new shelves in the baby's room. When baby Leo is born, Lola cheers him up by telling him stories when he cries, she reads her potty book to him when he is getting his diaper changed, and she even ...more
Lindsay Surmeier
For this book, I made a text to self connection. A text to self connection is when you relate something from the text to something in your own life personally. On page 16, Lola reads and sings to her newborn baby brother so he stops crying and goes to sleep. I made a text to self connection with Lola singing and entertaining her little brother. My older sister used to put on plays, dance, and sing for me when I was born. I don't remember this, but I have seen plenty of home videos of her doing i ...more
Stefani
Feb 21, 2012 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
This one has the "awww" factor! It's a sweet story about how Lola is read to by mom and dad, then when her baby brother is born, she reads to him. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely a keeper.

Plus, what librarian can resist a book that is so focused on young children and families reading? I especially loved how Lola found similar situations, despite the age difference (Leo gets his diaper changed while she's on the potty). Just cute cute cuteness.
Samantha
Lola has a new baby brother at home and for his every need she has the perfect book.

This book covers the needs of a new baby and how a family adjusts to the change. Highly recommended for older siblings who are welcoming little brothers or sisters home.

On another note, this book is a great advertisement for books! Lola matches a books to her brother's every need or routine and she does a top notch job, this librarian approves :)
Mary Ann
Lola gladly helps out when her new baby brother arrives, reading and telling him stories. Warm illustrations show this loving African American family welcoming their new baby and supporting Lola’s new role; best of all, her parents make sure they have time to read Lola her own bedtime story because she’s "the best big sister of all."
Yasmin Lucero
This is a really good book about getting ready for a new baby. My daughter loves all of the Lola books because she finds then super relatable. This one models Lola coping well with the overwhelming addition of a new little brother. But, it doesn't put an overly rosy spin on things either. I really appreciate this book.
Monique
Feb 29, 2016 Monique rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
Lola Reads to Leo. This is a book to get kids excited about reading. Lola is a new big sister and she wants to share her books and love for reading with him. The illustrates will be intriguing for young kids. Make sure you share this book with hopes to ignite the desire to read with every child you meet.
Carol
Mar 02, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lola is becoming a big sister and she takes her job very seriously: she reads to little brother Leo, sings to him and even shares her toys. Being a big sister is very hard work but both Lola and Leo love to end their day with a good story. A must-read for the preschool set!
Danielle
Apr 20, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
Lola is going to have a baby brother soon so she practices helping to take care of a new baby. When he finally arrives she reads to him too. This book has bright beautiful colors and a good message of helping. I especially like that the dad does laundry.
Robin Rousu
Mar 24, 2012 Robin Rousu rated it it was amazing
Excellent. This will be at the top of my list for recommending to patrons seeking picture books from the "new baby at my house" genre. Great addition to the Lola series and stands alone well, too.
Kelly Ford
Oct 15, 2014 Kelly Ford rated it it was amazing
I love all of the Lola books! They send a good message, and have a wonderful story to them. Great for toddler times
Emerson and Theodore
Good prep for our big brother Emerson!
Realistic--baby cries so Lola reads him her favorite book, etc.
Kristin Rosenberg
Jun 17, 2014 Kristin Rosenberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This unassuming book begins with little Lola reading a bedtime story about a little girl who will become a big sister. Lola herself will be a big sister too, and she becomes engrossed with picking books that her new baby brother, Leo, will like. She reads her favorite books when he is fussy, she sings him to sleep, and she helps mom and dad around the house. While it's not the most original story, there is something genuinely heartwarming about the little book. This would be a lovely book to sha ...more
Jared White
Mar 14, 2016 Jared White rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a cute book and I love how much Lola incorporates reading into her life and her new brother's life. One thing I didn't like about it is that Leo, her new baby brother, is never depicted as happy, he's crying on almost every page. On the very last page he at least appears content. Now, I know babies cry a lot (one of my nieces had chronic colic for the first couple months of her life, boy did she cry), but they also smile a lot and laugh and giggle. So I was not a fan of the crying aspec ...more
Lauren McKinney
May 02, 2012 Lauren McKinney rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about a little African American girl named Lola who has grown up her whole life being an only child. She discovers she will soon be a big sister to a baby brother. The book is all about Lola always finding the perfect book for hew newborm baby brother. If he is crying she reads him stories to cheer him up. She reads her favorite book to him while he being feed to make him feel calm. When he is getting his diaper changed she reads the best potty book. When he cries in the bathtub she ...more
Rachel
Feb 02, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, 2016
A darling story about Lola and her parents welcoming the arrival of her new baby brother to her family. Determined to read to him, McQuinn illustrates how Lola helps her parents and is an awesome big sister. An excellent book about family and for sharing when welcoming new siblings into the family. Highly recommended.
Randall
Feb 17, 2016 Randall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, ruthie
Amanda
Sep 01, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
A sweet book about being a big sister.
Danielle Mootz
May 10, 2016 Danielle Mootz rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Sweet big sister story.
Mar 08, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Families
Bridget R. Wilson
Lola of Lola Loves Stories and Lola at the Library is back! She has a brand new baby brother named Leo. She shares her love of reading with him no matter what he's doing. For any situation be it diaper changing or bedtime, Lola always shares her best books with Leo.

What I thought: Too cute! I love that Lola wants to share her love of books, stories, and reading with her baby brother. The best part is that she does. The illustrations are nicely done. My favorites are the bookshelves and the bears
Maria Burel
Sep 10, 2012 Maria Burel rated it really liked it
Lola Reads to Leo recognizes that new babies take some adjusting to. They cry alot, whether it's because they are hungry or sleepy or don't like the bath. But if you have a big sister like Lola, who has a book to share for every occasion, you just might survive the transition. Something about these illustrations just makes this book for me, even with its extremely simple and predictable plot.
May 02, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
A really sweet story about how Lola becomes a great big sister. I love that the story begins with Lola reading with her parents and then shows her sharing books with her new baby brother. A solid selection for preschool students about to become an older student. The illustrations are wonderful and the story uses simple, preschool friendly language.
Elaine
Dec 11, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
Elaine Bearden
Mar 06, 2012 Elaine Bearden rated it it was amazing
PreS-gr1
A really really sweet book about a little girl who loves to read and shares the love of reading with her new baby brother. Appealing acrylic paints illlustrate the story. Actually would work well with storytime, because of the large, clear pictures and simple storyline.
Great Books
Aug 04, 2012 Great Books rated it liked it
Shelves: birth-4
Lola is all excited about the new baby coming soon. She helps to make his room ready even giving him some of her books. Once Leo arrives Lola can't wait to share books with him at every opportunity.

Reviewer #7
Wanda
Jul 24, 2012 Wanda rated it it was amazing
Lola Reads to Leo by Anna McQuinn is a wonderful story.
Lola is a new big sister and loves to read stories to her baby brother Leo. The story is great and the illustrations are great, this is a book that I would recommend to all parents. A big 5 stars!!
Danielle Simmons
Sep 09, 2012 Danielle Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, love, family
This was such a sweet book. If only all siblings felt this way about one another. Lola was such a good big sister to her baby brother. This is a great book for kids to read and learn about the love there is between family.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • There's Going to Be a Baby
  • Thanking the Moon: Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival
  • Kiss Kiss! (Mini Edition)
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • I Can Do It Too!
  • Swim! Swim!
  • King Jack and the Dragon
I am so lucky to spend my time working with books and stories. I work one day a week running groups for babies, toddlers and their parents at a local library; I spend two days a week writing and six days a week as publisher at the tiny independent publisher, Alanna Books.
In my spare time, I read - what a wonderful life!
There are some Children's Books on my shelves (obviously) but for a more compr
More about Anna McQuinn...

Lola (5 books)