Start by marking “Lola Reads to Leo” as Want to Read:
Lola Reads to Leo

Lola Reads to Leo (Lola)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  41 reviews
We all know how much Lola loves books. In this third book in the Lola series (LOLA AT THE LIBRARY and LOLA LOVES STORIES), Lola has a new baby brother and she can’t wait to share her love of reading with him. Lola gets ready for little Leo’s arrival by reading books about brothers and sisters and picking out the perfect stories that she just knows her little brother will l ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Charlesbridge (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lola Reads to Leo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lola Reads to Leo

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeHenry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineAmazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
African American Picture Books
77th out of 241 books — 64 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeWhistle for Willie by Ezra Jack KeatsRuth and the Green Book by Calvin Alexander Ramsey
Multicultural Children's Lit
226th out of 308 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Apr 27, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older siblings & families where a new baby is due; book lovers; ages 2-6+
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Wow! I’m surprised that this book doesn’t show as having higher ratings. Right now the average is 3.64 stars. I loved it.

This is the perfect book for families with a child and expecting another child or where there is a younger/baby sibling in the family.

I have really liked at least two other Lola books but this one might be my favorite so far. Lola has a loving mother and father and she gets a bedtime story every night. Starting with Lola’s mommy’s pregnancy, Lola starts planning for and giving
Stefani
This one has the "awww" factor! It's a sweet story about how Lola is read to by mom and dad, then when her baby brother is born, she reads to him. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely a keeper.

Plus, what librarian can resist a book that is so focused on young children and families reading? I especially loved how Lola found similar situations, despite the age difference (Leo gets his diaper changed while she's on the potty). Just cute cute cuteness.
Robin Rousu
Excellent. This will be at the top of my list for recommending to patrons seeking picture books from the "new baby at my house" genre. Great addition to the Lola series and stands alone well, too.
Kristin Rosenberg
This unassuming book begins with little Lola reading a bedtime story about a little girl who will become a big sister. Lola herself will be a big sister too, and she becomes engrossed with picking books that her new baby brother, Leo, will like. She reads her favorite books when he is fussy, she sings him to sleep, and she helps mom and dad around the house. While it's not the most original story, there is something genuinely heartwarming about the little book. This would be a lovely book to sha ...more
Lauren McKinney
This book is about a little African American girl named Lola who has grown up her whole life being an only child. She discovers she will soon be a big sister to a baby brother. The book is all about Lola always finding the perfect book for hew newborm baby brother. If he is crying she reads him stories to cheer him up. She reads her favorite book to him while he being feed to make him feel calm. When he is getting his diaper changed she reads the best potty book. When he cries in the bathtub she ...more
Amy Musser
As you may know from her other books (Lola Loves Stories and Lola at the Library), Lola loves to read. Her day always ends with a story read by her parents. In the newest Lola installment, Lola’s family is getting ready for a new baby. Lola helps by sorting through her books to find good stories for the new shelves in the baby's room. When baby Leo is born, Lola cheers him up by telling him stories when he cries, she reads her potty book to him when he is getting his diaper changed, and she even ...more
Yasmin Lucero
This is a really good book about getting ready for a new baby. My daughter loves all of the Lola books because she finds then super relatable. This one models Lola coping well with the overwhelming addition of a new little brother. But, it doesn't put an overly rosy spin on things either. I really appreciate this book.
Kelly Ford
I love all of the Lola books! They send a good message, and have a wonderful story to them. Great for toddler times
Bridget R. Wilson
Lola of Lola Loves Stories and Lola at the Library is back! She has a brand new baby brother named Leo. She shares her love of reading with him no matter what he's doing. For any situation be it diaper changing or bedtime, Lola always shares her best books with Leo.

What I thought: Too cute! I love that Lola wants to share her love of books, stories, and reading with her baby brother. The best part is that she does. The illustrations are nicely done. My favorites are the bookshelves and the bears
Carol
Lola is becoming a big sister and she takes her job very seriously: she reads to little brother Leo, sings to him and even shares her toys. Being a big sister is very hard work but both Lola and Leo love to end their day with a good story. A must-read for the preschool set!
Samantha
Lola has a new baby brother at home and for his every need she has the perfect book.

This book covers the needs of a new baby and how a family adjusts to the change. Highly recommended for older siblings who are welcoming little brothers or sisters home.

On another note, this book is a great advertisement for books! Lola matches a books to her brother's every need or routine and she does a top notch job, this librarian approves :)
Maria Burel
Lola Reads to Leo recognizes that new babies take some adjusting to. They cry alot, whether it's because they are hungry or sleepy or don't like the bath. But if you have a big sister like Lola, who has a book to share for every occasion, you just might survive the transition. Something about these illustrations just makes this book for me, even with its extremely simple and predictable plot.
A really sweet story about how Lola becomes a great big sister. I love that the story begins with Lola reading with her parents and then shows her sharing books with her new baby brother. A solid selection for preschool students about to become an older student. The illustrations are wonderful and the story uses simple, preschool friendly language.
Elaine
Elaine Bearden
PreS-gr1
A really really sweet book about a little girl who loves to read and shares the love of reading with her new baby brother. Appealing acrylic paints illlustrate the story. Actually would work well with storytime, because of the large, clear pictures and simple storyline.
Great Books
Lola is all excited about the new baby coming soon. She helps to make his room ready even giving him some of her books. Once Leo arrives Lola can't wait to share books with him at every opportunity.

Reviewer #7
Wanda
Lola Reads to Leo by Anna McQuinn is a wonderful story.
Lola is a new big sister and loves to read stories to her baby brother Leo. The story is great and the illustrations are great, this is a book that I would recommend to all parents. A big 5 stars!!
Danielle
Lola is going to have a baby brother soon so she practices helping to take care of a new baby. When he finally arrives she reads to him too. This book has bright beautiful colors and a good message of helping. I especially like that the dad does laundry.
Danielle Simmons
This was such a sweet book. If only all siblings felt this way about one another. Lola was such a good big sister to her baby brother. This is a great book for kids to read and learn about the love there is between family.
Paula
I found the book to be boring and nothing out of the ordinary in explaining a new baby's arrival. The illustrations are colorful, but something just seems to be missing.
Dionne
Another cute book in the Lola series. Lola has a new brother and she learns to love him because she loves to read and reading to him is a way to bond with him.
Maddypictures
Big sister Lola can think of a book to read to new baby Leo for nearly every situation. A warm and loving look at a contemporary African-American family.
Liz
For the youngest... Another in the "Lola" series of books. Lola loves to read and now she is sharing that joy with a new baby brother.
Keva
Jan 11, 2013 Keva rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: books
Another Lola story...This time Lola becomes a big sister and shares her love of books with her baby brother.
Emerson
Good prep for our big brother Emerson!
Realistic--baby cries so Lola reads him her favorite book, etc.
K.
Loved reading this book to my kids. Great story about a girl's love for reading to her new baby brother.
Maija
A really wonderful book to read to a little one who is expecting a new baby sibling!
Brindi
great for a story time where we talk about siblings and "the new baby."
Lori
Great illustrations. Love that Lola reads to her baby brother. Sweet book.
Jen
this is a great positive book showcasing what being a big sister is like.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • There's Going to Be a Baby
  • A Home for Bird
  • Thanking the Moon: Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival
  • Kiss Kiss! (Mini Edition)
  • King Jack and the Dragon
  • Swim! Swim!
  • Little White Rabbit
  • The Paper Crane
  • Mouse's First Snow
I am so lucky to spend my time working with books and stories. I work one day a week running groups for babies, toddlers and their parents at a local library; I spend two days a week writing and six days a week as publisher at the tiny independent publisher, Alanna Books.
In my spare time, I read - what a wonderful life!
There are some Children's Books on my shelves (obviously) but for a more compr
More about Anna McQuinn...
Lola at the Library Lola Loves Stories Leo Loves Baby Time Lola Plants a Garden The Sleep Sheep. Anna McQuinn and Hannah Shaw