Start by marking “Hot Text Web Writing That Works” as Want to Read:
Hot Text Web Writing That Works

Hot Text Web Writing That Works

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The professional's guide to writing WOW web content, undeletable email, and virtual conversation. Readers are shown how the constraints and opportunities of net delivery, graphical interfaces, and screen display must shape the way they write content.
Published January 11th 2002 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hot Text Web Writing That Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Text Web Writing That Works

Rica
I didn't read this book all the way through when I first bought it. Instead, I approached it much like a Web site--I dipped into the sections that most drew my interest. Only much later did I complete a cover-to-cover reading.

It lent itself quite well to the former approach. Of the five parts, four are quite strong: sections on becoming a professional Web writer or editor, the basic principles of Web writing, and adapting one's style for various common genres, as well as a section listing useful...more
Book Calendar
Hot Text, Web Writing That Works by Jonathan and Lisa Price is a book about how to write for the internet. Writing on the internet is very different than writing in print. Print has a much higher resolution for lettering and is much easier to look at. Web pages are somewhat fuzzy and indistinct. People read 25% slower on the web than on the printed page.

Readers are also not very patient with websites. Most don't want to have scroll down through multiple screens. They want to read everything on t...more
Lynda Felder
Jonathan and Lisa Price started out as journalists. Their book is packed with practical tips on how to write FAQs, email, marketing copy, zine articles and more. “Hot” text gets talked about, gets bookmarked, gets readers’ attentions.

A few tips from the book:

* get to know your audience. The more you know about your visitors, the better you can write for them.
* keep your paragraphs chunky
* make your paragraphs short. Let your readers skip and skim.
* use two and three levels of headings. Subhe...more
Tamara
The first 1/3 of the book provides the same type of advice as Killer Web Content and Letting Go of the Words...Guess it bears repeating.

Notes:

Content should be: passionate, attention-grabbing, interactive, relevant, sticky, persuasive, informative, conversational, open-handed.

Reasons to use the internet: have fun, learn, act, be aware, get close to people.

Make titles/headlines that can survive out of context & that echo what users already know, with a twist.

Within a sentence, put the mos...more
Sunny
Jan 09, 2010 Sunny marked it as to-read
Hot Text: Web Writing that Works by Jonathan Price (2002)
A bit dated, but some good advice.
Sunny
Jul 17, 2013 Sunny added it
Scimmed this. Meh...
James Cox
James Cox marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Christophe
Christophe is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2014
Louise
Louise added it
Jan 06, 2014
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Jonathan Towell
Jonathan Towell marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Susan Wilcox
Susan Wilcox marked it as to-read
May 24, 2013
Clotilde Maillard
Clotilde Maillard marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Brianne Dehlinger
Brianne Dehlinger marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
As a journalist, I've enjoyed getting to know people in the worlds of art, computers, video, and the web.

As a conceptual artist and concrete poet, I absorbed a lot from brave audiences.

As a teacher, I've learned enormously from my students at NYU, Rutgers, the Shakespeare Institute, UC Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz, UNM, and professional organizations such as the ACM, IEEE, and STC.

And as a writer, I've...more
More about Jonathan Price...
How to Communicate Technical Information: A Handbook of Software and Hardware Documentation 30 Days to More Powerful Writing Put That in Writing How to Write a Computer Manual: A Handbook of Software Documentation The Best Thing on TV