Start by marking “The One Minute Teacher” as Want to Read:
The One Minute Teacher

The One Minute Teacher

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  285 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
This invaluable book shows how teachers, despite the many difficultiesthey face in today's school systems, can make an important contributionto their students' lives and educations. Johnson and Johnson describehow the use of Goal Setting, Praising, and Recovery reinforcesself-esteem and creates a new kind of learning process that will becomelifelong. The One Minute Teacher ...more
Published August 31st 1988 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The One Minute Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One Minute Teacher

Natasha
Jun 10, 2008 Natasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: goal oriented people
Recommended to Natasha by: GWC 5 Pillar
Shelves: education
The primary element of "The One Minute Teacher" is achieving goals. The purpose of traveling life’s highway is fulfilling our mission. The destination we desire to reach gives both aim and impetus in our journey. The authors wrote, “Doing it is the key. It is only when we use One Minute Goals that we begin to learn what we want to teach ourselves. Then we start to feel a change and finally to see a change.” (p. 23)

Have you ever taken a wrong turn that dumped you into a dead-end, nose-to-nose wi
Julie
Aug 21, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
This book had some amazing ideas that really make sense. I have so many quotes that I want to plaster all over my wall so I cam remember to stay focused on becoming who I want to be. The only way to reach goals is to continually remind yourself what your goal is and keep going on that path. This is a must read for anyone who wants to learn how to accomplish anything.
Nikhilesh
One of those self help books that, for me, feel really intense reading and studying it, and a year later leave zero impression whatsoever.
Andrea
Apr 20, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone trying to change something about their life
This book is quite cheesy but underneath the cheese is a real idea that rings true. I took extensive notes and I'm trying it out right now to improve my overall daily attitude (which is usually negative). The One Minute Principles are 1. Setting One Minute Goals, 2. Giving One Minute Praisings and 3. Using One Minute Recoveries. An example from the book of a One Minute Goal is:

"On Friday I [earn] a B on the math test. I study my math and quiz myself every night. I listen in class and ask questio
Surya Teja
Oct 02, 2013 Surya Teja rated it liked it
This book helps a lot to learn about achieving goals. Looks like we know a lot what is told in the book. We just ignore them without even knowing it. As it was told in a book "feeling good for no good reason" we become very good at having low self esteem that the negative feeling happen even without us knowing it.
The way the message was delivered was very simple and can be understood easily.
There are examples of people who want something and we find that most of us had the same goal at one point
Mike
Mar 22, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for teachers and anyone looking for a mindset to accomplish their goals. Gives a new look on how to view your behavior in regards to achieving set goals. It was a very quick read.
Keryn
Jul 06, 2012 Keryn rated it liked it
Shelves: education
This book has been described as 'cheesy' but the messages are simple and powerful, as are the messages in most of the one-minute books, and 'Who moved my cheese?'. I found the three techniques to be valuable and practical, immediately implementable, easy to remember. Certainly I recommend this book to all educators, especially those seeking motivation. Readable in one sitting, it is well worth the time spent. The main flaw for me is the examples/anecdotes, which I found to be few and less releva ...more
James Barr
Mar 14, 2014 James Barr rated it liked it
Simple but meaningful. I appreciate how the One Minute books boil ideas down to simple directions.
Carlashi
Jul 22, 2015 Carlashi rated it really liked it
It's a book very easy to read and understand which I think makes it effective on its purpose of teaching an individual to be his or her best teacher to himself or herself. I believe I didn't waste my time reading it.
Lacey
Jan 10, 2009 Lacey rated it liked it
This book was not as revolutionary as it seems to suggest. It was a good reminder however that written and often reviewed goals are more likely to be achieved; frequent positive praisings are more effective than negative critism; and lastly, when your behavior doesn't match your goals, stop and correct it immediately. The twist of this teaching book is that you can only work on yourself--by doing this, others will be influenced by you.
Rebecca
This was a great book to give teaching a whole new way of thought. Instead of just teaching material it involved the importance of teaching a student to teach themselves. This book discusses one minute goals, one minute praisings and one minute recoveries.Principles taught through this book may be applied to all avenues of life. A good book to use to refocus when teaching gets discouraging.
`Alia
Jul 19, 2007 `Alia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers or Students
Overall I found this book useful but not always practical. I did pick up some helpful time management tactics from it for both my students and myself. Some parts I had to modify to comply with Islamic beliefs. For example one of the steps in the book is to follow a one-minute praise routine, of basically praising yourself before and after you do something. I modified it to praising Allah..
Deanna
Sep 30, 2008 Deanna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Olivia
Recommended to Deanna by: 5 Pillars Book List
I read this to my husband when we went on a recent trip. We had a great discussion about it. Being home educators it was another great resource to pull from for us. We like the ideas of helping our children set goals, teaching them how to praise themselves and how to get back on course when they have veered off. Like I said, lots of great discussion.
Amy
Jul 07, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people looking for direction
Recommended to Amy by: TJED list
This self-proclaimed "parable" is the quintessential book on self-affirmation. This is the first "one minute" book I've read and it is exactly what you' expect at a pep-talk type business seminar. I'm all for the idea of self-esteem and learning from mistakes so the message is good here, it's the delivery that isn't my style.
Natalie
Great principles that are easy to understand and seem easy to implement. However, the storyline of the book was a little too much like an annoying preschool teacher talking baby talk as she taught the principles. The ideas are usable in any arena (as evidenced by the different "One Minute" books available).
Celly
Oct 04, 2012 Celly is currently reading it
buku yang amat - amat waw untuk menggurui diri sendiri.
benyak hal - hal poritif yang bisa kita lakukan dalam hidup kiita, memotivasi diri kita sendiri, one minute teacher yg amat sangat efektif untuk diterapkan dalam kehidupan sehari - hari dan merubah mindset kita menjadi lebih baik. Good Book :)
Kari
Dec 20, 2014 Kari rated it really liked it
This is the second "one minute" book I've read. Great thoughts to apply to homeschooling!
Andre Widiartanto
Buku yang praktis. Buku self-help yang dipaparkan dalam bentuk cerita, sehingga tidak ada kesan menggurui. Hanya mengajarkan "tiga rahasia/kunci belajar", namun dibahas secara cukup mendalam. Guru dan pelajar atau siapa pun, perlu membaca buku inspiratif ini.
mary
Apr 17, 2007 mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
It was okay. I attended a teacher session based on this book at one of our workshops, but the presentation turned out to be much more enlightening than the book itself. Some good parts to be considered, and at least it was a short book.
Matthew Forzan
Jan 28, 2016 Matthew Forzan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book detailing tricks and techniques on training/teaching. Very similar to the other "one minute" series with the main difference being the story told from a teachers POV as opposed to a businessman.
Misty Lynne
Jun 17, 2008 Misty Lynne rated it it was amazing
A simple method for setting goals and changing your life. I loved this book! It was a great reminder of methods I have already discovered on my own but have not perfected by any means.
April N
Jun 13, 2013 April N rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-52-in-52
Not my favorite read. Very confusing at times trying to keep up with the third person narrative used. This book has very good and valid points but they are lost in the strange narrative.
Apr 12, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: 5-pillar
This is deceptively simple idea but it really resonated with me. I'm trying the system out now and it's been good. I'll see how I feel about it after a few weeks of working at it.
Zoe
Oct 27, 2009 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Ok, I will admit that in the beginning this book irritated me. However, if you can get past the over simplistic way it is written, there are some real gems here.
Alison
Apr 10, 2014 Alison rated it liked it
I read this book for school and it was short and easy to read. It is about little tricks to teach ourselves. I probably won't read it again but it was alright.
Michael
Jan 08, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Teaching is a little complicated than the process this book uses. Some teachers could definitely benefit from this book if they would use it.
Celeste Batchelor
This is a short read, but a very good way to teach goal setting in a simple, concise way. I made several notes on this method of goal setting.
Miguel Luna
Jan 07, 2013 Miguel Luna rated it liked it
Excelente para cuando necesitas cumplir algún propósito. Cómo soy estudiante y quiero estudiar para ser profesor, me ha servido bastante.
Oliev grovvy
Bahwa ternyata kita bisa ko' belajar hanya dengan satu menit.... maksudnya satu menit untuk palnning, merubah dan merekomendai...baca deh..
Tani
May 02, 2008 Tani rated it it was ok
This book had some great concepts that were new to me. Although, I didn't care for the way it was written.
  • Leadership Education: The Phases of Learning
  • Understanding the Times: The Collision of Today's Competing Worldviews
  • Reading Reminders: Tools, Tips, and Techniques
  • Brain-Based Learning: The New Science of Teaching & Training
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • Writing Road to Reading: The Spalding Method for Teaching Speech, Spelling, Writing, and Reading
  • Customer Mania!: It's Never Too Late to Build a Customer-Focused Company
  • Fires in the Middle School Bathroom: Advice to Teachers from Middle Schoolers
  • Selling the Dream
  • The Mormon Way of Doing Business: Leadership and Success Through Faith and Family
  • Awakening the Heart: Exploring Poetry in Elementary and Middle School
  • The Spiritual Lives of the Great Composers
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • The Fallacy Detective
  • Whatever Happened to Justice? Revised Edition
  • The Primal Teen: What the New Discoveries about the Teenage Brain Tell Us about Our Kids
  • The Myth of Laziness
  • The Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science
Spencer Johnson, M.D., is the author of several New York Times bestsellers, including The One Minute Manager, all in the entertaining style of a parable that contains useful information readers can use in their own lives. There are more than thirteen million copies of his books in print in over twenty-five languages.

Dr. Johnson's education includes a psychology degree from the University of Southe
More about Spencer Johnson...