Start by marking “This Changes Everything: Occupy Wall Street and the 99% Movement” as Want to Read:
This Changes Everything: Occupy Wall Street and the 99% Movement

This Changes Everything: Occupy Wall Street and the 99% Movement

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  24 reviews
We Are the 99%

The Occupy Wall Street movement named the core issue of our time: the overwhelming power of Wall Street and large corporations— something the political establishment and most media have long ignored.

But the movement goes far beyond this critique. This Changes Everything shows how the movement is shifting the way people view themselves and the world, the kind
Published November 17th 2011 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about This Changes Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Changes Everything

Debt by David GraeberGriftopia by Matt TaibbiA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnA Brief History of Neoliberalism by David HarveyDiary of a Very Bad Year by Keith Gessen
Occupy Wall Street
6th out of 58 books — 65 voters
The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George OrwellTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Books that Changed the Way You View Life
224th out of 1,670 books — 1,574 voters

More lists with this book...

Martyn
This is a hard book to rate. On the one hand it does capture the energy, chaos and heteroglossic nature of the very early days of the Occupy movement but it also, unfortunately, contains the themes that point to its demise as a political force.

I had to wait until I was two-thirds in before someone, correctly, identified the oppression of people because of race, sex, physical ability or religion as an issue of economics rather than sociology and this rather highlighted the lack of true analysis i
Nasser
If i am to describe this book, i'd say it was premature. It's clear that it was put together in such haste as to publish it to meet a deadline, or rather spread awareness of the movement during the time of the occupation.

It's not actually a book, it's more of a collection of different articles written by many people, some of which were actually involved in the Occupy movement. The book does give a clear idea about what was going on on the inside of the movement, but it vaguely touches the reason
Richard Gombert
Most of this book was repetitive, since it was different people's views on the same event ( and mostly written early).
There are a couple pieces that are very good and thus raise my overall opinion of the book. Those are:
"No Leaders, No Violence" Nathan Schneider
"How Inequality Poisons Society..." Brooke Jarvis
"Six Ways to Liberate Main Street from Wall Street" David Korten
"How to Create Living-Wage Jobs ..." Sarah van Gelder and Doug Pibel
(abbreviated some titles - too much typing involved :)
Matt Roberts
A primer to the complexities of the Occupy movement. The first half of this book tells great stories from inside the beginning stages of OWS. This book left much to be wanted, though, as it was hastily thrown together about two months after OWS kicked off. As a collection of essays, "This Changes Everything" will give you an array of opinions and show you that OWS does not side with a political agenda, but sets out for solidarity and economic equality.
Tony
I wish there where still occupiers
Kurt Anderson
Meh. I was hoping for good things with this book, but it didn't do anything for me. If I'd read it in 2011, maybe I would've enjoyed it more. Alas.

My main complaint: it's very sterile. It takes a movement full of passion and makes it dry and academic. I'm all for academic studies, but it's not what I was expecting.\

Highlight: the letter to the man who started the Arab Spring. Try to find that article online - it's quality.
Pisces19
This was a good explanation of a movement that has been largely mischaracterized by the media at large and by its detractors. I cannot say I agree with all the points they make or all of their goals, but they do have many good ideas, some of which I would like to see implemented and they have some very inspiring essays. It's a nice revitalizing read for those feeling disillusioned with politics and government in general. Motivating.
Dale
This is a very small book consisting of short essays by Occupy participants and others (Naomi Klein and Ralph Nader among others). My biggest takeaway was the declaration of Occupy Wall Street of October 1. The news media kept asking 'what do they want?', yet the declaration lays it out clearly. So apparently the news media was simply too lazy to actually ask Occupy, or to read their declaration.
Jemma Z
I'm not sure if the Occupy movement changes everything, but it is nice to read about the movement from people inside of it. At least these people are trying to do something. I think the book its self is fairly unorganized, which I suppose embodies the movement well, but the lack of consistent. Tone makes for a disconnected read.
Mac
This book is ridiculous, it tells you very little about the people who participated in the "occupy" movement. The book praises the very things which caused their movement to fail (IMO) for example, no-one knew what the goals were, no leadership etc. My one praise is that the book is very short, so it didn't waste too much of my time.
Lisa
Collection of short articles from the initial months of the Occupy movement. While this was assembled quickly to document current events, it's also a well-selected overview. Most pieces are 2-3 pages, and lend themselves well to occasional reading and reflection, or could be used as seeds for group discussion.
Ryan Johnson
A nice collection of first hand accounts, essays, blog-posts, etc. that tell the story of the 99% from those who were/are actively participating in the movement. If you want to know what the Occupy movement is all about this is the book for you.
Glen Carbon Library District
Jessica
I thought this was an informative book because it included real books sections, speeches and articles published during the Occupy movement. It was very inspirational to read the platform for the movement.
Temoca
Quick pieces put together about this movement from various locations. I love the principal behind OWS and when students have asked me about it we've had great discussions.
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
A quick read; lots of little articles about the occupy movement and all the various and diverse realities associated with it. A decent intro into occupy.
Laura Stembridge
epic. The Occupy Movement is beautifully articulated in much needed ways through this book. The only thing better than reading this book is living it..
Douglas
I wasn't paying attention when this happened so I wanted to know the details. This book provided them adequately, but did not go into any depth.
Micah
To be honest, I expected a lot more from this short anthology of essays. I've read van Gelder's work before and had much higher expectations.
Emily Gell
Great introduction to the Occupy movement! Short and outdated at this point, but certainly helped me pinpoint issues I want to read into further.
Mary Einspahr
This is very informative about the Occupy Wall Street movement directed from the progressive point of view.
Tim
Relatively short, but it provides a good insight into the grassroots of the Occupy movement.
Steve
Very helpful in understanding the OWS movement; also creates a desire to be pro-active.
Jacqui
Energizing. Gd reminder of core democratic values.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jon
Jon added it
Mateo Disipio
Mateo Disipio marked it as to-read
Rein Crystal
Rein Crystal marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • The Occupy Handbook
  • Occupy!: Scenes from Occupied America
  • Occupy (Occupied Media Pamphlet Series)
  • Engaging the Muslim World
  • Three Kingdoms: A Historical Novel. Abridged Edition
  • Hillbilly Nationalists, Urban Race Rebels, and Black Power: Community Organizing in Radical Times
  • Direct Action: An Ethnography
  • A Renegade History of the United States
  • A Concise History of the Middle East
  • Thank You, Anarchy: Notes from the Occupy Apocalypse
  • Wilderness and the American Mind
  • The Eliminationists: How Hate Talk Radicalized the American Right
  • Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class - And What We Can Do about It
  • The China Fantasy: How Our Leaders Explain Away Chinese Repression
  • Nothing: Something to Believe in
  • The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
  • Who Will Tell The People: The Betrayal Of American Democracy
  • LIFE One Nation: America Remembers September 11, 2001
Sustainable Happiness Sustainable Happiness: Live Simply, Live Well, Make a Difference Vi er de 99%: Occupy Wall Street-bevægelsen Censored 2014: Fearless Speech in Fateful Times; The Top Censored Stories and Media Analysis of 2012-13