Start by marking “The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids” as Want to Read:

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews

Days like these are just right for finding mermaids.

Have you ever walked on the beach and loo
Published February 7th 2012 by Tanglewood

To ask other readers questions about The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids

Ingo by Helen DunmoreThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsSirena by Donna Jo NapoliHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
492nd out of 532 books — 805 voters
The Mermaid and the Shoe by K.G. CampbellSukey and the Mermaid by Robert D. San SouciMariana and the Merchild by Caroline PitcherThe Secret World of Mermaids by Francine RoseThe Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen
Picture Books about Mermaids
32nd out of 56 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

oliviasbooks
Apr 28, 2012 oliviasbooks rated it liked it
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: Netgalley
Who doesn’t like mermaids? All right. A lot of people don’t. But maybe they cherish the idea of tiny folk leading their small but eventful lives unbeknownst to our big, clumsy unobservant selves in our direct vicinity. Maybe they also used to speculate if Jill Barklem was right and one simply had to look for fragile whisps of smoke curling skywards among the brambles or blinks of candle-light flickering in the many folds of an ancient oak tree’s bark to find a well-to-do family of mice living in ...more
Julie Barrett
Jul 25, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids by Ammi-Joan Paquette
ISBN: 9781933718590
Illustrated Colorful children book about how to track a mermaid on the sand at the beach
by their footprints. Also shows pictures of various things that can be found at the beach
where you might see a mermaid: tide pools, shells that resemble a mermaids comb or use it
as a necklace. Mermaids hide on each page according to what's being said so it's also a
puzzle type book for a child to locate the mermaids.
One shell in par
Pam Camel
Jun 07, 2013 Pam Camel rated it it was amazing
"On hot summer days, the beaches are packed with all kinds of people swimming, splashing, or lying in the sun. But there are other days—magical ones—when the beach is empty. Whoosh! The wind tosses up the sand in curling eddies. Kazoom! The waves cymbal-crash against the shore. Yes!

Days like these are just right for finding mermaids.

Have you ever walked on the beach and looked for shells or or clams? There are creatures, more like you and me, who are even more interesting to look for. Most peopl
Jen
May 19, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
It's so lovely to show up at a beach with no one else there, it feels like a new world you are exploring.
Originally posted at http://www.perogiesandgyoza.com/2012/...

That's what this book does well, makes you feel like you are exploring a whole new world above, below, and around the sea.

This is written like nonfiction picture book, with emphasis on descriptive phrases and new vocabulary, like curling eddies, tide pool, and long craggy finger. Photos accompany the introduction of beach life, like
Kelly
Apr 07, 2015 Kelly rated it liked it
Rock that Conch Shell!

(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic copy of this book for review through NetGalley.)

I was six years old when Splash first came out; and, although I probably didn't get to watch it for a few more years, once I did I was officially hooked on mermaids. I used to swim around the pool with my legs mentally fused together, pretending that I was diving to depths much greater than our paltry four feet. I didn't get to go to the beach often - the nearest one prohibited sw
Sharon Tyler
Mar 21, 2014 Sharon Tyler rated it liked it
The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids is a picturebook written by Ammi-Joan Paquette and illustrated by Marie LeTourneau. This delightful book combines real photographs of a trip to the beach with paper cut outs of mermaids and a story of children having an adventure on the beach looking for the elusive beings. Nature facts about the beach and what can be seen there, a seek and find feel, and the fantastical search for mermaids come together in a lovely book.

Carol
Feb 22, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
This fanciful picture book shows a couple of young children exploring the beach, looking in every possible place for the magical and wonderful mermaids. They discover a lot about the sea and the shore in their adventures, but do they ever find the elusive fish-tailed beauties? The charming illustrations are a mix of photographs of the children and cute illustrations of the mermaids and all of their possibilities. I know many young girls at my library that will adore this book.
Rosalie
Jun 11, 2012 Rosalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This book is a perfect "beach read" for the younger set. It has a perfect mix of fantasy and realia. I can't wait to read it at story time!
Aleece
I was honestly very disappointed in this book. I was expecting a book about mermaids and while that is sort of the case here it was a little different. I did not care for the combination of real photographs and illustrations. Plus the photoshopped pictures really didn't fit well in some of the pages and left me feeling underwhelmed. The story itself was just ok but I don't know if it was the illustrations that were throwing me off.

I received this copy from Tanglewood through Netgalley in excha
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Nov 17, 2015 Carla Johnson-Hicks rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, children
The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids is a picture book written by Ammi-Joan Paquette and illustrated by Marie LeTourneau. This book combines real photographs of a trip to the beach with paper cut outs of mermaids and other creatures. The story is about children who visit the beach on a day where there are not many people around to look for mermaids. They make sand mermaids (like snow angels), visit tide pools, watch crabs, collect shells etc. all with the idea of what the mermaids would do with ...more
Rhonda
Sep 05, 2015 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Received copy from Netgalley for honest review. I liked the concept of using real pictures with animation drawn in. The story is cute and the real ocean life facts was fun! Kids will love this book! I enjoyed this book and the story and pictures were well done. Using the real life images will make kids imaginations go wild. I can see kids at the beach listening to conch shells and exploring to see if they can find mermaids. Read it with your kids!
Earicka
Sep 22, 2014 Earicka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Searching For Magical Mermaids

This was an adorable book full of whimsy and magic. I thought the mixed media made it very unique and endearing. I can totally see my kids reading this book. The only issue I can see is it did not really teach a lesson which most children's books do. I loved the photos especially the ones with the drawings added.

***This early reader is suitable for children just learning to read alone or to read to them as a fun bedtime story
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
This was not what I was expecting. I have not read other books in this series, but I assumed this would be a picture book based on the cover. I was partially correct. It's a combination of photographs and illustrations. Personally, I did not care for the combination. But, if a very small child was looking at the pictures, they might enjoy it. The illustrations were very cute and whimsical.

I noted this as an activity book, because it gives the impression of a beachy scavenger hunt. I would say t
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
The title and fun cover for this book caught my attention right away. A guide for children that teaches them how to track mermaids? I would have loved this as a child!

This one isn't a storybook the way the other titles are. It's designed to be a guide and combines real photography with illustrated images of mermaids. Children will feel that the mermaids really do exist and use the tricks in the book to look for them.

This book could serve as a fun activity guide when you need something to do on
TJ Burns
Jun 05, 2016 TJ Burns rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable!

The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids is a perfect book for young mermaid lovers, like my daughter. Beautiful photographs, combined with adorable drawings, and supplemented by educational vocabulary, all come together to create a fantasy-filled, dream-like adventure, both above and below the surface!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jay
Aug 01, 2015 Jay rated it liked it
every little girl will love this book! will be sure to have them searching the beach for mermaid treasures on their next visit.
cute & fun illustrations to go along with the fun story of trying to spy mermaids

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Paul  Hankins
Mixed media illustrations the employ vivid photography with whimsically-rendered mermaids present the story of a day at the beach and the possibility of perhaps finding a mermaid or two.
Shelli
May 16, 2012 Shelli rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
If you have a girl girl with an large imagination this would be a good book for you. Tips and tricks on how to find those magical elusive mermaids of the sea.
Jocelin
Apr 25, 2012 Jocelin rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Loved the the visuals of hand drawn artwork with photographs.
Izza
Apr 30, 2013 Izza rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Will be coming back to write my review..
Xandra Leigh
Xandra Leigh marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Maciej
Maciej marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
sierra
sierra marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Aspen Ratelle
Aspen Ratelle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Rehan Abd Jamil
Rehan Abd Jamil rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Wendy Barto
Wendy Barto rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Ammi-Joan Paquette has never met a ghost, mummy, monster, skeleton, or witch — as far as she knows. This book, she says, was inspired by a game she used to play with her sister: "Most of the details have been lost to time, but I still remember the shivery thrill I got when we played it. So, I drew on that same energy to write a spooky picture book, which eventually became A Ghost in the House." In ...more
More about Ammi-Joan Paquette...