Start by marking “Work Happy: What Great Bosses Know” as Want to Read:
Work Happy: What Great Bosses Know

Work Happy: What Great Bosses Know

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Management guru Jill Geisler has coached countless men and women who want to build their leadership skills, help employees do their best work, and make workplaces happy and successful. In WORK HAPPY, she provides a practical, step-by-step guide, based on real-world experience, respected research, and lessons that will transform managers and their teams. It's a workshop-in- ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Work Happy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Work Happy

Emily
I'm an ambivalent reader of books about management and work. Some of them don't pass the common sense test. Others are so common-sensical that you wonder why you're bothering. Only a few hit a sweet spot of seeming worthwhile and practicable and seeming like a hat you'd be willing to be seen wearing. I think this one is in that category. Some of the author's points are obvious but she offers ways of framing concepts so that you'd remember them and be more likely to apply them. I particularly lik ...more
Angie
Everyone should be lucky enough to have a boss like Jill in their lives. She's warm, perceptive, savvy & upbeat. I've been fortunate enough to benefit from her wisdom in various seminars and grateful to call her a friend. But if you can't meet her, I recommend this book. Her voice comes through as she dispenses practical advice. It's a must-read, no matter how long you've been a manager.
Tony
If the title hadn't over-sold this book so much, I might have given it a better rating. It's not a particularly bad book, per se, and anyone who followed its advice would almost certainly become a better boss. I'm just not convinced that they'd become a great one. The treatment of many of the areas is remarkably shallow, and in most cases has been covered much better elsewhere. So, for example, whilst it's certainly welcome to see the book take a strong stance that good managers need to adjust t ...more
Chris
One of the better books I've read on management & leadership. Geisler relays lots of very useful and very practical management tools, in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. Truthfully, a lot of this advice can be applied to every day living and in every stage of your life. Every person is a leader, in some way or another: either professionally and/or personally. So I would highly recommend this read to anyone who cares about making themselves better and about making others around you bet ...more
May-Ling
i thought this was an excellent book to read in thinking about your management style and how to work with others. as a bit of a font snob, i certainly preferred a different type that wasn't so large and friendly, but perhaps that makes it feel more accessible as a business book.

my favorite highlights:

considering what employees never forget (the great!) and never forgive (mistakes)

being conscious that we all have evil twins in our personalities that we don't expect to come out. (mine is that when
Sharon
4.5 stars. I really liked the informal, friendly tone of the book and it had a lot of helpful examples and suggestions. There were also some good questions and activities to get you thinking about how to be a good boss. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars from me is that it is a long book so it's hard to process it all and apply it all. I'm not sure how you solve that issue, but there isn't an easy schedule/sequential plan of action, so I think implementation will take a lot of organizing of y ...more
Randolph Breschini
I thoroughly enjoyed this book...A lot of good advice for managing 360 degrees. I recommend all managers/potential managers AND especially CEO's read this book...it will enlighten you! Now...am I working happy?
Meganators
Watch out for your Evil Twin. :) Helpful, sound advice based on years of personal experience by the author, plus includes the results of research and studies.
Karen
A very Poynter Institute of Media Studies book, that is, very positive and encouraging with an emphasis on fun. I was lucky in that I got to intern there after I graduated from college. I'll never forget that place. This book is a good reminder that attitude matters. That goes for bosses as well as employees. (But the descriptions of the bad bosses brought back some frightening memories...yikes, I've had some BAD bosses.)
ToniS
Very accessible, common sense concepts presented in a warm and encouraging way. In fact, the entire book is written in the voice of a dream boss. I think the key message of the book is that you can be effective, push your team to do great things and meet company goals, and not be a bitch at the same time. Empathize and watch out for jerks that are hurting your work environment, including yourself.
Jeremiah Graves
This one took some different approaches that most management books bypass and focused on ways to keep your staff happy and motivated rather than just on "how to manage" and I appreciated that angle. Still a lot of "common sense" stuff, but an entertaining read nonetheless.
Esther
This book should be a mandatory read for managers and it is even very helpful to me as a minion of current and past good and bad managers. The book is an easy read, jargon free and has great examples.
Eva
This was a first read give away and I am glad that I registered for it and won. Anyone who is in a management position would benefit from reading and doing the exercises in this self help book.
Paula
Written by good friend and Poynter Institute colleague and therefore a must read. Podcasts have often lead iTunes. Straightforward and very useful guide for leaders.
Meagan
I am enjoying this book. As a manager it makes me step back and look at myself how others may see me. I feel as though this will help me improve my skills.
Bob Mckinstry
I've listened to Jill's iTunes U podcasts. This book nicely compiles all of her wisdom in a very accessible format. Highly recommended.
Ebonee Younger SPHR
Fantastic for first time managers but also an excellent read for employees who may want to improve relations with their peers and manager.
Mihai Fecioru
A good review of common-sense information and ideas that can be found in other mng books.
Daza Craig
A lot to think about and some great info on dealing with all types of people.
Fantastic insights - must read for anyone who manages others.
Tim
Really useful book. Manage people and who doesn't? Worth a read.
Kyle Geissler
Good ideas for being a good manager. I took away some ideas.
Wouter Bax
Very inspiring, written by one of the smartest persons I ever met.
Jim Duncan
great advice on multiple levels
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jul 28, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Catia
Catia marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Alysha
Alysha marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Linus56books
Linus56books is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2015
  • Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love
  • The Positive Dog
  • Be Fearless: Change Your Life in 28 Days
  • The Loyalty Effect: The Hidden Force Behind Growth, Profits, and Lasting Value
  • History of the Philippines: From Indios Bravos to Filipinos
  • Live the Dream: No More Excuses
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Tweak It: Make What Matters to You Happen Every Day
  • Intellectuals Don't Need God and Other Modern Myths: Building Bridges to Faith Through Apologetics
  • Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds
  • Judgment in Managerial Decision Making
  • Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees
  • How Successful People Lead: Taking Your Influence to the Next Level
  • Winner Take All: China's Race for Resources and What It Means for the World
  • Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well)
  • Leading So People Will Follow
  • Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less
  • Managing to Change the World: The Nonprofit Manager's Guide to Getting Results
Jill Geisler heads the leadership and management faculty of the Poynter Institute. She's helped thousands of managers become better bosses -- and true leaders. Jill's "What Great Bosses Know" podcasts on iTunes U have been downloaded millions of times, according to Apple.

Jill joined the Poynter Institute after a lengthy first career in broadcast journalism, where she was among the country's first
More about Jill Geisler...

“Trust isn’t a gift; it is an earned benefit. Bosses have to work for it and never take it for granted.” 0 likes