3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Management guru Jill Geisler has coached countless men and women who want to build their leadership skills, help employees do their best work, and make workplaces happy and successful. In WORK HAPPY, she provides a practical, step-by-step guide, based on real-world experience, respected research, and lessons that will transform managers and their teams. It's a workshop-in-...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Work Happy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Work Happy

Chris
One of the better books I've read on management & leadership. Geisler relays lots of very useful and very practical management tools, in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. Truthfully, a lot of this advice can be applied to every day living and in every stage of your life. Every person is a leader, in some way or another: either professionally and/or personally. So I would highly recommend this read to anyone who cares about making themselves better and about making others around you bet...more
May-Ling
i thought this was an excellent book to read in thinking about your management style and how to work with others. as a bit of a font snob, i certainly preferred a different type that wasn't so large and friendly, but perhaps that makes it feel more accessible as a business book.

my favorite highlights:

considering what employees never forget (the great!) and never forgive (mistakes)

being conscious that we all have evil twins in our personalities that we don't expect to come out. (mine is that when...more
Sharon
4.5 stars. I really liked the informal, friendly tone of the book and it had a lot of helpful examples and suggestions. There were also some good questions and activities to get you thinking about how to be a good boss. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars from me is that it is a long book so it's hard to process it all and apply it all. I'm not sure how you solve that issue, but there isn't an easy schedule/sequential plan of action, so I think implementation will take a lot of organizing of y...more
ToniS
Very accessible, common sense concepts presented in a warm and encouraging way. In fact, the entire book is written in the voice of a dream boss. I think the key message of the book is that you can be effective, push your team to do great things and meet company goals, and not be a bitch at the same time. Empathize and watch out for jerks that are hurting your work environment, including yourself.
Angie
Everyone should be lucky enough to have a boss like Jill in their lives. She's warm, perceptive, savvy & upbeat. I've been fortunate enough to benefit from her wisdom in various seminars and grateful to call her a friend. But if you can't meet her, I recommend this book. Her voice comes through as she dispenses practical advice. It's a must-read, no matter how long you've been a manager.
Jeremiah Graves
This one took some different approaches that most management books bypass and focused on ways to keep your staff happy and motivated rather than just on "how to manage" and I appreciated that angle. Still a lot of "common sense" stuff, but an entertaining read nonetheless.
Eva
This was a first read give away and I am glad that I registered for it and won. Anyone who is in a management position would benefit from reading and doing the exercises in this self help book.
Paula
Written by good friend and Poynter Institute colleague and therefore a must read. Podcasts have often lead iTunes. Straightforward and very useful guide for leaders.
Meagan
I am enjoying this book. As a manager it makes me step back and look at myself how others may see me. I feel as though this will help me improve my skills.
Bob Mckinstry
I've listened to Jill's iTunes U podcasts. This book nicely compiles all of her wisdom in a very accessible format. Highly recommended.
Ebonee Younger SPHR
Fantastic for first time managers but also an excellent read for employees who may want to improve relations with their peers and manager.
Mihai Fecioru
A good review of common-sense information and ideas that can be found in other mng books.
Daza Craig
A lot to think about and some great info on dealing with all types of people.
Fantastic insights - must read for anyone who manages others.
Tim
Really useful book. Manage people and who doesn't? Worth a read.
Kyle Geissler
Good ideas for being a good manager. I took away some ideas.
Wouter Bax
Very inspiring, written by one of the smartest persons I ever met.
Jim Duncan
great advice on multiple levels
Anastassia
Anastassia marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
ebrahim
ebrahim marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Jakub
Jakub marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Colleen Myers
Colleen Myers marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Lika
Lika marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less
  • E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Company
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Winner Take All: China's Race for Resources and What It Means for the World
  • The 5 Levels of Leadership: Proven Steps to Maximize Your Potential
  • Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds
  • Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well)
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
  • Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways to Win the Respect You Deserve, the Success You've Earned, and the Life You Want
  • The Ultimate Question: Driving Good Profits and True Growth
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
  • Grow Your Own Drugs: Easy Recipes for Natural Remedies and Beauty Treats
  • You Can't Fire Everyone: And Other Lessons from an Accidental Manager
  • An Introduction to General Systems Thinking (Silver Anniversary Edition)
  • Home Rules: Transform the Place You Live into a Place You'll Love
Jill Geisler heads the leadership and management faculty of the Poynter Institute. She's helped thousands of managers become better bosses -- and true leaders. Jill's "What Great Bosses Know" podcasts on iTunes U have been downloaded millions of times, according to Apple.

Jill joined the Poynter Institute after a lengthy first career in broadcast journalism, where she was among the country's first...more
More about Jill Geisler...
Work Happy: What Great Bosses Know

“Trust isn’t a gift; it is an earned benefit. Bosses have to work for it and never take it for granted.” 0 likes