Start by marking “Be Fearless: Change Your Life in 28 Days” as Want to Read:
Be Fearless: Change Your Life in 28 Days

Be Fearless: Change Your Life in 28 Days

Most people have something that gnaws at them at night, a mess or unrealized dream somewhere in their lives that causes them to feel stuck, out of control, overwhelmed, incomplete, and dissatisfied. They want to run away, back away, and ignore what they fear--whether it's a demanding boss, unsatisfying sex life, or distant love interest, but they can't. The fear finds them ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Center Street (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Be Fearless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Fearless

Amy
May 17, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
Meh. Lots of talk about the author and his experience and his clients and his dislike of traditional therapies. Was more distracting and annoying than helpful.
Stephen
Jun 07, 2012 Stephen rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-reads
Won this on Goodreads. Thank you.

I don't know if I just don't appreciate the self-help genre, but I feel like this dredged up issues I didn't have. The first few chapters persuaded me to feel fearful, as if some trepidation is not normal in life. Sometimes I felt Alpert may have been too quick to publish this and should have shown trepidation himself.

The excercises seemed useful for a bit, but then more time consuming and in fact created more complexities in my life. They led nowhere.

I think th
Trish Lechman
May 20, 2015 Trish Lechman rated it it was ok
Despite the numerous criticisms of this book I gave it a go to see if it offered useful advice. I strongly agree that the author was biased in terms of therapists and the constant anecdotes were followed by tips, which proved to be confusing when I got to the actual program, it was information overload! The things I got from reading this book are: you emerge stronger after every obstacle you face, you should focus on things you can control and finally everyone has fear, it's what you do with it ...more
Susan
Oct 20, 2012 Susan rated it did not like it
Sounds more like an ad campaign for Alpert and his counseling practice than anything helpful. Lots of details about how Alpert carries out "therapy", how he "fixed" people after years of them "stuck" in therapy with other therapists, how fearless he himself is. I kept reading hoping for something useful but then it ends abruptly with the "bonus" section, which can be accessible for free via Internet because it was recycled materials from Alpert's pieces in the Metro Newspaper. I mean, if you don ...more
Alexandrea Hills
Apr 11, 2012 Alexandrea Hills rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through Goodreads giveaways.

I felt this book promoted fear where fear might not of been occurring. I felt that Jonathan boxed all problems into his 5 step solution. It didn't feel like he took outside factor really into consideration. Like what if there is no jobs available or you don't have the money to go back to school. These factors are not based on fear they are based on circumstance.

Although I do believe in trying to turn the negatives into positives I don't believe that w
Becki Iverson
Jun 24, 2013 Becki Iverson rated it liked it
There is a wealth of practical advice and steps in this book that I think every grown adult should encounter at least once in their lives. They are applicable not only to resolving fear of things, but also in just making one's life better in every way; brainstorming, tracking, setting achievable goals and working towards them are good skills for everyone to have.

The writing was a bit dry/overly simplistic at times, but the book's fabulously practical information outweighed this. It's a very use
Madison
Jan 17, 2015 Madison rated it really liked it
I thought it had some really good advice, made me feel like I wasn't alone with my fears. Yes, he did promote his type of therapy, and yes, he did talk about the fact that fears are normal. But he didn't promote fear....I just skipped over the parts that weren't applicable....wouldn't buy it but worth a read from the library.
Viv
Jul 16, 2012 Viv rated it did not like it
This book is a disgrace to the self-help industry. As a matter of fact, I have no idea why it is even listed under the self-help genre. Most of the book was for Alpert to trash other therapists and their works, promote himself and advertise for his brand of "therapy".
G-Funk
Apr 10, 2012 G-Funk rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
*** I won this book as a goodreads first reads giveaway***
I read about 100 + pages and I just can't be bothered to read more of it. I totally agree with Amy (previous reviewer),and the more I read, I felt it was more like other psychologist-bashing and self tooting than any real helpful advice.
Anna
Apr 26, 2013 Anna rated it did not like it
Petty mind producing awful book. Full of criticism, negativity, and vague and hyperbolic statements. Perhaps recycling trash is more beneficial than recycling Alpert's columns in book form.
Michele Pardon
Sep 10, 2012 Michele Pardon rated it it was amazing
Love this book, Love Jonathan.
Judy Bell
Aug 18, 2015 Judy Bell rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book! Totally changed the way I will think and move forward in my life. Feel empowered now. I know my fears and can work through them.
Mezi
Aug 09, 2012 Mezi rated it did not like it
This book is a complete disgrace. The writer just publicized his method of theory. It can't be a self-help book. He didn't provide any clear structure on how to deal with fear.
Kevin
Oct 15, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it
A surprisingly good read. Though why it took 6 chapters and 121 pages to get to anything useful is beyond me.
Rose Ann
Rose Ann rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
John Smith
John Smith rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Humphrey  Tshabalala
Humphrey Tshabalala rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2014
Lisa Imparato
Lisa Imparato rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Ichwan
Ichwan rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2012
Iza Li
Iza Li rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Sílvia Afonso
Sílvia Afonso rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2014
Mogomi Pro Onkgopotse
Mogomi Pro Onkgopotse rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
Ann-Marie
Ann-Marie rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Roxy Wilde
Roxy Wilde rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2012
Lynnette
Lynnette rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Newbee (JoAnn) Brown
Newbee (JoAnn) Brown rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2012
Queenie Rose
Queenie Rose rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it did not like it
Feb 19, 2014
Donna Parker
Donna Parker rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2012
Amal
Amal rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2016
  • Live the Dream: No More Excuses
  • Work Happy: What Great Bosses Know
  • How Great Women Lead: A Mother-Daughter Adventure into the Lives of Women Shaping the World
  • Shadowbosses: Government Unions Control America and Rob Taxpayers Blind
  • The Freshman Survival Guide: Soulful Advice for Studying, Socializing, and Everything in Between
  • Jeremy Lin: The Reason for the Linsanity
  • Tweak It: Make What Matters to You Happen Every Day
  • Government Bullies: How Everyday  Americans Are Being Arrested, Abused, and Terrorized By the Feds
  • How Successful People Lead: Taking Your Influence to the Next Level