Start by marking “Base Spirits” as Want to Read:
Base Spirits

Base Spirits

In 1605, Sir Walter Calverley’s murderous rampage leaves a family shattered. The killer suffers a torturous execution… but is it truly the end? A noble Yorkshire house stands forever tarnished by blood and possessed by anguished spirits.

Some crimes are so horrific, they reverberate through the centuries.

As an unhappy modern couple vacation in the guesthouse at Calverley
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 218 pages
Published September 2nd 2011 by Spirited Words Book Co. (first published August 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Base Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Base Spirits

Tammy
May 28, 2012 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts, gothic
I read this story several months ago and was asked much later to review. I had loved the story but have short term memory. However, I do have impressions I can relate in this review. I think it's important to get this out there due to the talent Ruth Barrett utilizes in her story crafting.
I remember how much my mother loved Gothic Romances and as a book lover at a very young age, I frequently pilfered those books when she finished them. Full of brooding men with tortured pasts who live in spooky
Tressa
This is a well written story-within-a-story about a battered wife named Clara visiting England with her Keats scholar husband while he attends a conference and gives a talk on his upcoming book. Scott and Clara stay at an old hall that is haunted with the spirits of the Calverleys.

In the 1600s, the increasingly mad Sir Walter Calverley became despondent over gambling debts and paranoia about his wife's supposed affairs, and gathered up his family to slaughter them one-by-one so that his "bastar
Easily Mused
May 08, 2012 Easily Mused rated it really liked it
Base Spirits grabs the reader’s attention from the start with a murderer’s violent execution for an unspeakable crime. The action doesn’t let up from there, as even in the slower-paced parts of the story, the reader feels themselves drawn to the undeniable conclusion. A troubled couple vacationing at the site of a centuries-old murder? You just know this is going to end badly…and it does. How you get there is quite a ride, though.

The book is refreshingly lacking in horror story clichés, garneri
Beth
Aug 21, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
I love ghost stories and horror novels, provided the writing is reasonably good and they aren't just paeans to gore. The market has been so flooded with less than stellar examples that I tend to have low expectations when I start a new title. Base Spirits leapt far beyond those expectations and was a gripping, moving read. The period detail was excellent. The characters were well developed and consistent, depending on the state of "possession". I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to read ...more
Julie
Jul 02, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
This was a great story. A modern day couple on the rocks travel to England for a mini-vacation and it takes a dark turn. The guest house of the historic Calvary Hall has a very ugly history and that darkness comes calling on this unsuspecting couple. As if they don't have enough problems as it is, the terror of the past rears it ugly head.

I loved the premise of the story. The plot was awesome and I loved all the twists and the play between the past and the present.
Author David Brown
May 15, 2012 Author David Brown rated it it was amazing
Ruth Barrett got my ghost on this one! Add it to your "gotta read this" list. There's horror, supernatural, and downright, bone-chilling gruesome descriptions weaved into yet another great tale from Novelist Ruth Barret. Get ready to be scared out of your wits...and like it!
Kimberly
Mar 03, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much that I read it in a day. I loved the British setting and the horrible 15th century story within the story. And I also loved the mention of the Stratford Festival in Ontario because that's one of the few places I can say "I've Been There".
Debra
Oct 03, 2012 Debra rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. What I really liked is that it is based on a real historical event. I also enjoyed her explanation at the end about how she came about writing about this particular event. Also, I enjoyed the supernatural aspect to it. Well done.
Paul Knowles
Sep 09, 2012 Paul Knowles rated it it was amazing
Eerie, suspenseful, wonderfully researched.
Blood Rose Books
Mar 04, 2012 Blood Rose Books rated it liked it
Indie author Ruth Barrett takes the readers to London to an old manor where unspeakable things happened to the previous owners from the 17th century and let just say a house never forgets.

Clara is an aspiring play right and alcoholic with a controlling verging on abusive husband Scott who she is trying to away from. Easier said than done when he very much wants to control every aspect of her life and always have her by his side. However, when Scott's research takes him to England Clara has final
James Jr.
Apr 01, 2012 James Jr. rated it really liked it
I just had a very interesting reading experience this past week because for much of the experience, I found myself completely uncomfortable and disarmed. "Base Spirits" was written through the points of view of two very interesting women, both suffering through spousal abuse or at least domineering husbands. It was uncomfortable subject matter, and there were seemingly only a few really likable characters in the whole thing. Half way through, I found myself wanting to quit. Why didn't I? I kept ...more
M.L. Roos
Feb 20, 2012 M.L. Roos rated it it was amazing
Ruth Barrett takes a true story and expertly weaves in fiction and fantasy and creates a story so compelling you will be reading this into the wee hours of the night.

Very interesting and engaging story told from two time periods, one in 1604 and one in the present. Clara Ravenscroft is trying to write a play and accompanies her husband on a business trip to England thinking she will get some writing done while he presents his research on John Keats. While staying at renovated manor house in Eng
Melanie
Jul 25, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
You know, despite the reviews (which seemed mixed) - I really enjoyed this one. It was a quick read - kinda creepy. Found myself getting a little annoyed with the drinking habits of the main character - but overall - a pretty decent little read.

I would definitely read more by this author.
Heather Mahley
Heather Mahley rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Liz Jamison
Liz Jamison rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
Lenny
May 04, 2015 Lenny rated it really liked it
Good and scary.
Sherrin Seguin
Sherrin Seguin rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Annabel Jenkins
Annabel Jenkins rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Jeremy Potter
Jeremy Potter rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Rose
Rose rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Catherine Mcfadden
Catherine Mcfadden rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Jeffrey Kosh
Jeffrey Kosh rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2012
W.J. Howard
W.J. Howard rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2011
Eric Norcross
Eric Norcross rated it liked it
May 27, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Anon (Anon Duology, #1)
  • Asylum Lake
  • The Collector of Names
  • Last Dance of a Black Widow
  • Anything can be Dangerous
  • Bullied:  The Complete Series
  • The Horror Of The Shade (Trilogy of the Void #1)
  • Faint of Heart
  • The Sholes Key (Evans and Blackwell Mystery #1)
  • House Guest