Start by marking “Tales for Great Grandchildren” as Want to Read:
Tales for Great Grandchildren

Tales for Great Grandchildren

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  14 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Drawing on the folklore and mythology of India and Nepal, "Tales for Great Grandchildren" is a captivating collection of illustrated stories that will delight children and those who read to them. The tales and illustrations follow a distinguished tradition of storytelling made famous by the likes of Aesop, Hans Christian Anderson and the Brothers Grimm.

Author John Jackson
Published 2011 by JJ Books

To ask other readers questions about Tales for Great Grandchildren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales for Great Grandchildren

The Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgAnimalia by Graeme BaseThe Mitten by Jan BrettStellaluna by Janell CannonThe Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base
Children's Picture Books With Beautiful illustrations
399th out of 1,156 books — 1,029 voters
The Immortals of Meluha by Amish TripathiThe Secret of the Nagas by Amish TripathiThe Oath of the Vayuputras by Amish TripathiMahabharata by C. RajagopalachariThe Great War of Hind by Vaibhav Anand
Indian Mythology
89th out of 147 books — 362 voters

More lists with this book...

Marsha
You are drawn in right away by the title. Great grandchildren? Why not the children or even grandchildren?

The author understands that stories told at a third remove from the original source are compelling because of their very nature. This is the point where an event starts to achieve the level of legend, of fairy tale or myth, when the children listen in wide-eyed wonder to a story that couldn’t possibly be true. Their great grandfather or grandmother has a stern lesson in store for them but c
Jan 02, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Won this from goodreads and have to say, I am impressed. Nice, old style children stories with a macabre twist. I would give my edition to my nephew but it's pretty enough that I think I'm going to wait until he's old enough not to drool all over it and destroy it.
Demetra
Mar 06, 2012 Demetra rated it really liked it
This now comes as an ipad app so kids can be read to or read themselves!
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
In ancient times, before mankind had a written language, knowledge was passed from generation to generation in the form of verbal stories. The stories were entertaining but were also meant to educate the younger generation about the ways of the world. Many of those stories, or at least the style itself, survive to this day in the form of fables from the likes of Aesop and Hans Christian Andersen.

In his introduction John Jackson discusses the ancient tradition of storytelling, explaining that the
Gaele
May 31, 2013 Gaele rated it it was amazing
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall: 5 Narration: 4 Story: 5

While presented as being for children from 7 – 12, this is the perfect collection to share with children of all ages: providing a perfect series of quiet moments, or relaxing before nap or sleep. These 13 stories mix in creatures familiar and less so: I think my favorite was the story entitled Lovely One, with the king’s elephant that missed his lotus flower and was moping.

John Jackson self-narrates these stories, and has a voice that will
John Jackson
Aug 31, 2012 John Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author, I will not comment on my own writing, but I am delighted with Daniela Jaglenka Terrazzini's illustrations, which remind me of the work of classic 'golden age' illustrators, such as Arthur Rackham and Edmund Dulac.
Vinaya Joshi
Vinaya Joshi marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
A Lee
A Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Sari
Sari marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jaseena AL
Jaseena AL rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Nived
Nived marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Ashwini Akmar
Ashwini Akmar marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Darlene Cruz
Darlene Cruz marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Jennifer Kelley
Jennifer Kelley marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Pradeep jha
Pradeep jha marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Mogadarshinee
Mogadarshinee marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jerry
Jerry added it
Aug 02, 2014
Mickey
Mickey marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Stephanie Ivette
Stephanie Ivette marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was ok
May 09, 2014
Neena
Neena rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Dhaneshwar Mandal
Dhaneshwar Mandal marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Shriram
Shriram marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Christian Collado
Christian Collado marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Cbower
Cbower marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Anusha Nadar
Anusha Nadar marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Shreyasee Bhowmick
Shreyasee Bhowmick rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Dawn Wells
Dawn Wells rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
JJ was born in 1929 in rural Devon. In 1931 he and his younger brother moved with their parents - who were ‘flat broke’, out of work and in poor health – to a rented cottage in Lyme Regis on Dorset’s Jurassic coast.

The family survived on what they could grow and rear on a small allotment and what they could catch in the sea. For cash they took in lodgers. They were not the only family in difficult
More about John Jackson...