Start by marking “This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking” as Want to Read:
This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking

This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  5,280 Ratings  ·  279 Reviews
Edge.org presents brilliant, accessible, cutting-edge ideas to improve our decision-making skills and improve our cognitive toolkits, with contributions by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Richard Dawkins, Brian Eno, Steven Pinker, and more. Featuring a foreword by New York Times columnist David Brooks and edited by John Brockman, This Will Make You Smarter presents some of the best ...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Harper Perennial (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about This Will Make You Smarter, please sign up.

Antonio Alvarez For sure! I learned a lot from this book, and I was able to immediately apply all this knowledge in my daily life.

Lisa
Oct 28, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This Will Make You Smarter is a challenging book that leaves you with a lot to think about. The essays are short — some shorter than a single page — that cover interesting scientific concepts, new and old ideas to help us think about the world.

The founder and publisher of the online science salon, Edge.org, John Brockman, does a great job editing this collection, turning more than 100 essays on a wide range of topics into a coherent manuscript that works its way across the spectrum. You start ou
Graham Herrli
Jun 16, 2013 Graham Herrli rated it really liked it
The Edge.org question of 2011 was "What scientific concept would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit?" Many of the world's most famous thinkers responded to it, and their responses are compiled in this book in one-to-four-page essays organized thematically.

It's somewhat ironic that although the book is a collection of the ideas of "great minds," many of the essays emphasize the importance of not trusting authority.

Debates over climate change and creationism were mentioned often enough to beco
Pvw
Edge is an organisation that promotes the spreading of cultural and scientific knowledge to a general public. Every year they pose a general philosophical question and publish some of the best answers by prominent intellectuals. This book contains the answers to the proposition: "Which new scientific concept should belong to everyone's conceptual toolkit?"

In bundling the answers, the editor made one unfortunate mistake. He grouped them thematically. Since many researchers promote the same concep
Ben Lever
It didn't.

No, in all seriousness, I think this book would have been quite good for me about five years ago - many of the cognitive tools they bring up are indeed very useful. But this book suffers from having too many authors - so for one thing there is quite a lot of redundancy, as multiple people advocate very similar principles, which often overlap with the essays of others, and for another thing everyone was limited to an average of two pages, so there isn't enough room to say anything with
عبدالرحمن عقاب
Oct 16, 2015 عبدالرحمن عقاب rated it really liked it
أن تجلس في غرفةٍ واحدة مع كوكبةٍ من أفضل وأشهر عقول هذا العالم، في عدّة مجالاتٍ فكرية واهتماماتٍ علمية، ثمّ تستمع إليهم يجيبون عن سؤالٍ واحد؛ كلًا من زاوية اهتمامه، وعمق تخصّصه. بعضها يهمّك ويثيرك، وأقلّ منه ذلك البعض الذي قد لا يعجبك، غير أنّ في كلّ من تلك الأحاديث المقتضبة ما يمكن أن تتعلّم منه فكرةً أو مصطلحًا أو معلومةً، وأعظمها تلك التي تفتح لك باب سؤالٍ أو بحثٍ تلاحقه.
هذا ما يحدث لك وأنت تقرأ كتب EDGE.org، التي يشرف عليها "بروكمانBROCKMAN” . حقلٌ من المتعة الذهنية، وتجوالٌ بديع في عقول أف
Mike
Jul 30, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
Each essay is only 3-5 pages, making this a great book to pick up when you have a few minutes of free time and want a little bit of intellectual stimulation. That said, some essays were great and thought-provoking, but others were painfully dull and a chore to get through.
Nat
Apr 06, 2013 Nat added it
I read this because I wanted to think about how to write accessible, sexy-sounding prose to use in grant proposals. It contains plenty of both good and bad examples of how to make complicated ideas sound exciting to non-experts. The social psychologists and pop-minded economists are the masters of this particular skill. Basically they can just present a couple of examples of goofy human behavior and their job is done. (Though there is also a nice entry on "Anecdotalism", which points out the pro ...more
Oleg Kagan
Jun 01, 2012 Oleg Kagan rated it liked it
Shelves: idea-books
This collection of short riffs by leading scientists reads like a collection of memes. If you stay on the pulse of TED Talks, popular science books, and tech/science magazines then you have probably heard of many of the authors in this book and have likely already read about their ideas.

It's neat to scan, but the staggering insights you were looking for are not here.
Robin
Jul 15, 2012 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
The author asked many famous people, "What scientific concept would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit?"

The idea intrigued me; from each successful, "famous" person, what single thing is it important for people to know? It seemed like the book would be full of good advice.

However, I didn't enjoy reading it. I suppose all the concepts were scientific ones, which didn't interest me. None of the writers (I only read a few. I didn't read the whole book.) spoke about why or how their particular co
Butch Hamilton
Jul 19, 2012 Butch Hamilton rated it really liked it
It started with good intentions and bought into the title. After one hundred pages in, I had to put it down. Why? The more I read, the dumber I got. Hoping to get a brain implant - saw one on Craigslist denoted as A.B. Normal - so I can finish it and restore any self-esteem I have left. . .

. . .the new cranium must have helped because I can discuss collective intelligence, defeasibilty, and Black Swan technologies with some modicum of confidence. The cover's secondary title is "New Scientific Co
Rick Barnes
May 22, 2013 Rick Barnes rated it it was amazing
The best compilation of essays on scientific concepts and the importance of critical thinking I have read to date.
Book
Jul 01, 2013 Book rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This Will Make You Smarter: 150 New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking by John Brockman

"This Will Make You Smarter" is a thought-provoking book of scientific essays brought to you by The Edge that provides readers with better tools to think about the world. The Edge is an organization that presents original ideas by today's leading thinkers from a wide spectrum of scientific fields. The 2011 Edge question is, "What Scientific Concept Would Improve Everybody's Cognitive Toolkit?" This w
Menglong Youk
Mar 15, 2016 Menglong Youk rated it really liked it

"This Book Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking" is the collection of essays of various scientists', journalists', professors', and many educators' answering to the editor's question, "What scientific concept would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit?". The perspectives of the essays are ranging from biology, sociology, astronomy, technology, all the way to psychology.

Personally, during the first tens pages of the book, I enjoyed cramming the new in
Morgan Blackledge
Dec 18, 2014 Morgan Blackledge rated it really liked it
Brockman is the prince of nurd pimps. He's got all the big brained studs in his stable. He's a rock star of science lit agents (who even knew you could be that). I fuckin hate dinner parties and that kind of stuff. But I would love to attend one of Brockman's wing dings. He's bros with the smartest, most interesting people in the world.

Anyway. He's cranking out these little essay books and they're all really good. The way it works is he periodically asks all of his crew to write short (usually o
Ali
Jul 24, 2016 Ali rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Well, it gave me a rather long list of new things to further read on! :)
Ryan
Jun 05, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it
This will make you smarter. Weh?

Well, if knowing the words Copernican principle, gedankenexperiment, or nexus causality will make you sound smarter, er, smarter, then grab it. The book offers a wide array of answers to the Edge Question 2011: "What scientific concept would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit?"

The essays are grouped topically. Two flaws of putting into a book a number of different field specialists: (1) some authors basically repeat what the other authors have said (2) some aut
Peter Gelfan
Jan 16, 2016 Peter Gelfan rated it really liked it
This is a small-plates restaurant for the brain. More than 150 of today’s top thinkers from many different fields answer a simple question: What scientific concept would improve everybody’s cognitive toolkit? “Scientific” includes any endeavor that seeks analytical knowledge and understanding. Each dish runs anything from one to four pages. Occasionally I could gobble up ten in a sitting, but often one would be so delicious and filling that I would need to stop reading and ponder its ramificatio ...more
Dan Thompson
Oct 19, 2013 Dan Thompson rated it really liked it
This is one of the annual Edge Question books, where the Edge website asks several prominent thinkers an interesting question. The result is a collection of short essays answering that question. Past questions have included “What do you believe but cannot prove?”, “ What have you changed your mind about?”, and my favorite so far, “What are you optimistic about?” The question that spawned this book was “What scientific concept would improve everybody’s cognitive toolkit?”

Like most of these Edge
Cynthia Ryan
Jan 01, 2013 Cynthia Ryan rated it really liked it
I approached this book with some caution - but fortunately, using Kindle preview, you can try before you buy.

This is a book to be read in short bursts and digested. Since most of the 'chapters' are from one to three pages in length, that's easy. You will definitely want to savor each, since they can really challenge your assumptions, and give you a lot to consider.

The speakers/writers are notable scientists and thinkers and their ideas range from changes in national policy to simple things the
Karl Nordstrom
Aug 04, 2014 Karl Nordstrom rated it liked it
This book has a pretentious title. I prefer the original question: "What scientific concept would improve everybody’s cognitive toolkit?" A long list of deep thinkers were asked this question and they each provide a brief answer in this book. If you would like to read it for free, you can find their answers on Edge.org under the title of the original question.

The book is pretty interesting. If you're already a scientific thinker, then you will be familiar with many of the ideas. I found it to be
Z
Jan 02, 2016 Z rated it it was amazing
I am proud of myself that I already knew many of these scientific concepts, thanks to intense reading and audiobooking over the course of years...but I also felt humbled by how much I didn't know, or didn't completely understand...the wonderful thing about this book is that it is comprised of short essays, so the sheer volume of thought-provoking knowledge does not become overwhelming...

The vast majority of the essays are VERY accessible, and each one could be a spur for much further research.
Alex Zakharov
Mar 31, 2013 Alex Zakharov rated it did not like it
The book is just a printed collection of one page blog entries from edge. com in response to their now famous annual question. Well, wrong medium and rather disappointing uniformity of thought - stick to edge online during your lunch break.

A few themes come up over and over again - complexity, unpredictability, evolutionary biology, cognitive biases. While these subjects are certainly intellectually stimulating and while i like other longer works by a handful of the participating authors , readi
Bastian Greshake
Jan 09, 2013 Bastian Greshake rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I guess I expected too much from this book, given its not so humble title. The selection of topics is okay. But if you've been into the science blogosphere and/or TED for a while you will probably be familiar with most of the ideas presented in the book already.

The essays are all really short, most are not longer than a typical blogpost. For many topics a bit more background to the ideas would have been a good thing. If you want a crash course in modern scientific ideas (without actually learni
Arminius
Mar 08, 2016 Arminius rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, nook-book
The book is a collection of articles written by scientists who explain how to improve our cognitive toolkits. Rather than improve my cognitive tool kit I just want to point out what I found of interest in the book. Strangers apparently find people more likable and form good first impressions if they are holding a cup of hot coffee. Rainy weather makes us introspective and thoughtful which improves our memory. It also drives down the stock market which loves sunny days.
A salient point in the book
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 Ariadna73 rated it it was amazing
To read my review in my Spanish blog; click here: http://lunairereadings.blogspot.com/2...
There more than 150 bits of very valuable knowledge in this book. There are reflections on time; space science; physics; ethics; death; knowledge; learning; perspective; perception; etc. I liked that every articla was maximum two pages; and that the authors of each article made a real effort to be as clear as possible. I would like to have read a book with more quality in the printing or the quality of the
Alicia
Jan 25, 2013 Alicia rated it liked it
This book did make me smarter, but then again... Don't all books do that in some way? Overall, the essays were well organized and flowed from one topic to the next. The book was DEFINITELY elitist, and some of the essays were so condescending to nonscientists that they made me wonder if the authors were living in a bubble. There were some fantastic essays too, and I think the book could have been shortened to focus on those ideas.

Major focuses: using data in everyday life, how your brain works,
Bruno Santiago
Dec 24, 2013 Bruno Santiago rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Very nice collection of essays. I recommend for anyone with background in sciences or those who likes sciences overall.

It is a very good read for short periods of waiting, like my daily ~12 minute ride on the subway, when I could read ~2 essays per ride.

Not every essay is good, but most of them were good enough. About 40 of them are top notch and marked for future rereading. My favorite on was Kakonomics by Gloria Origgi.
Zivile
John Brockman apparently loves releasing compilation books on some topic. The title is very misleading. Knowing that Brockman loves scientific topics, this book is one of the lesser quality. It has bunch of short thesis-type statements about various things but without any deep arguments. We just have to simply believe it because some scientist hypothesized that idea.
Not my cup of tea in science department...
linhtalinhtinh
Dec 30, 2015 linhtalinhtinh rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fic
Ok, but nothing can beat Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow. A bit underwhelming.
Lychee
Jun 24, 2012 Lychee rated it liked it
Another book club selection - led to a great discussion. Reading it felt like a great review of graduate methods classes. Was a bit annoyed by the brevity of the selections. Some days I loved it, other days was rolling my eyes.
  • What Makes Your Brain Happy and Why You Should Do the Opposite
  • Everything is Obvious: Once You Know the Answer
  • At Left Brain, Turn Right
  • Connectome: How the Brain's Wiring Makes Us Who We Are
  • Brain Bugs: How the Brain's Flaws Shape Our Lives
  • Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change
  • Big Questions from Little People: And Simple Answers from Great Minds
  • Smart Thinking: Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done
  • The Secret Life of Pronouns: What Our Words Say About Us
  • The Time Paradox: The New Psychology of Time That Will Change Your Life
  • Situations Matter: Understanding How Context Transforms Your World
  • Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about Our Everyday Deceptions
  • Intuition Pumps And Other Tools for Thinking
  • The Self Illusion: Why There is No 'You' Inside Your Head [Extract]
  • Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success
  • The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make Us Human
  • Surfaces and Essences: Analogy as the Fuel and Fire of Thinking
  • Future Science: Essays from the Cutting Edge
With a broad career spanning the fields of art, science, books, software and the Internet. In 1960 he established the bases for "intermedia kinetic environments" in art, theatre and commerce, while consulting for clients such as General Electric, Columbia Pictures, The Pentagon, The White House... In 1973 he formed his own literary and software agency. He is founder of the Edge Foundation and edit ...more
More about John Brockman...

“Every aspect of life is an experiment that can be better understood if it is perceived in that way.” 10 likes
“By undercutting fundamentalism and intolerance, education would curtail violence and war. By empowering women, it would curb poverty and the population explosion.” 7 likes