Start by marking “Till Dawn Tames the Night” as Want to Read:
Till Dawn Tames the Night

Till Dawn Tames the Night

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  35 reviews
FROM THE SAFE HAVEN OF A LONDON ORPHANAGE TO THE SAVAGE SEAS OF LOVE...

A safe, respectable orphanage was the only home Aurora Dayne had ever known. Teaching there would mean security. But when the mysterious letter arrived, offering her a position as lady's companion, Aurora seized the chance, embarking for Jamaica with her sole legacy--a little golden lizard bearing a str
Mass Market Paperback, 467 pages
Published May 1991 by Dell (first published April 2nd 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Till Dawn Tames the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Till Dawn Tames the Night

Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaughtA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtPrisoner of My Desire by Johanna LindseyThe Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. WoodiwissFires of Winter by Johanna Lindsey
Best Bodice Ripper Romances
68th out of 285 books — 512 voters
Bound by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Pirate Lord by Sabrina JeffriesThe Windflower by Laura LondonRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Hawk by Monica McCarty
Pirate/Swashbucking Romance
30th out of 141 books — 184 voters

More lists with this book...

Sabrina Jeffries
My favorite pirate book of all time. Although it does have one hilarious scene in it, it's not really humorous. But if you want a pirate book that portrays pirates realistically and goes right to the edge of making the hero unlikable, this is it. His redemption is the most moving thing I've ever read.
Susy
I said in another review that I appreciate when an author lets me draw my own conclusions as reader. I have been reading romance novels voraciously for 2 months now, and I can only conclude that in this genre, the authors by and large cannot rely on something like the readers own intelligence. No, no--the author must tell the reader exactly what to think. An exercise in control against which I as reader rebel.

This would be tolerable if this were done with an omniscient POV. Unfortunately, that P
Twiggy
Enjoyable with dark overtones.

Warning spoilers:

Aurora dayne is the illegitimate daughter of an Irish adventurer who had stolen a necklace from an evil noble man ( imposter villain). Peterborough is searching for her as it is believed that the necklace will hold they key to the location of an emerald with mystical powers ( this aspect of the book is pretty ridiculous)

Anyway, aurora grows up in an orphanage and when she is 17 , she leaves for an offer of a post in Jamaica . She boards the ship th
Regan Walker
A pirate keeper, a dragon to love...

Ah...you know when you've found a romance that sweeps you away...one you will read and re-read. This one has it all: superb writing, intriguing plot, a tortured but strong hero and a heroine who won't give up. Oh yes, did I mention pirates?

Set in 1818, this is the story of Aurora Dayne, raised in an orphanage where she stayed on to become a teacher (think Jane Eyre), until the day she received an offer to become a lady's companion in Jamaica. Desperate for a n
Lorelle
This was a book I would have just loved when I was a teenager. What am I kidding, I really like this one now. Here are a few lines which show Vashon's deliciousness.

"Vashon left the gentle surf and returned to where she sat by the sea grape. He walked toward her, glistening with seawater, his black locks an erotic contrast to his broad sun-bronzed shoulders. Wet, his white trousers were almost transparent, and as he came nearer she could see every dark hair on his thighs, and even more, if she'd
Jultri
Wow, while I have nothing against the occasional bodice ripper (and the author's own Lions And Lace is a brilliant ripper of one such book), this book literally ripped way too many bodices which became somewhat tiresome after a while.

Our pirate who wasn't one, Valshon, was certainly a very messed up mean bastard, except he was not really a bastard. That honour went to his half-brother who somehow hijacked his viscountcy title despite evil Bro's illegitimacy. Whole flimsy revenge plot revolved a
Water
This was one of McKinney's least memorable novels. Vashon had such potential to be an amazing hero, but he never lived up to it. Don't get me wrong--there's nothing wrong with him; he's fine, but he wasn't a standout character. Aurora was annoying. The plot was truly far-fetched, even for romance standards.
Laura James
(2.5 Stars)This story had amazing potential but it fell short. It was definitely a slow starter and once the characters FINALLY got together there was a lack of chemistry and depth to their relationship.
Keely Milligan
Enjoyable novel.

I do not usually read romance novels, but I gave this a try. It was a very good pleasure reading book, perfect for reading by the beach or pool. Oddly, I enjoyed reading about the supporting characters more than the main characters. I was very entertained by Isaac, Flossie, and Benny and Koonga. The main character of Vashon was also well written. I did not feel for Aurora as much and found her annoying for much of the book, but she is supposed to be young and naive. The end was v
Stephanie
One of the best romance novels I have ever read!! My copy has been through so much and yet when all else fails I still pull it out!!
L.  (I've Stopped Counting)
I don't know why I forced myself to finish this, and force myself I did.

Little Orphan Aurora may hold the key to finding a legendary emerald her missing father stole years before. Vashon kidnaps, terrorizes, tortures and rapes Aurora into loving him (because bullying is just another way of saying, "I love you.") There's a lot of talk about pirates (a lot of talk) but very little pirating action. I absolutely loathed Vashon and can find nothing good to say about him. As for Aurora - I prefer my
Marielle
Wow. There haven't been much romances lately that have captured me as much as this one did. I don't remember how I found this book, I'm guessing it was on a page from one of my favorite authors about her favorite books. And boy do I get that. Not once have I been tempted to skip paragraphs or pages to hurry the story along knowing I wouldn't miss anything. When I did stray and skipped a few lines, I immediately was forced back. Wow. I haven't got the words for it. The only thing that could have ...more
Sheila Melo
Pirates, Jewels, a Stolen Birthright, and Sweeping Romance

THE STORY: Aurora Dayne, an orphan, decides the leave the only home she has ever known to find a place for herself in Jamaica. What she doesn't know is that she has been tricked into participating in her own kidnapping. Vashon is searching for the Star of Aran, a legendary treasure. He needs Aurora, the daughter of the thief who stole it, to help him locate it. Vashon was ripped from his aristocratic life by his murderous half-brother who
Kyraryker
Yawn. This is what I thought of most of the book, so forgive me if the review follows along that same line.
The secondary character Flossie, who is a fellow passenger on the ship to our star of the show Aurora, starts off quite entertaining. The old gal is a considerable drama queen, but this just makes her fun to read. The exchanges between her and Aurora are a delight to read.
For most of the beginning of the book our resident hunk Vashon is a mystery. It's hard to get a clear picture of who he
Adwina Ralston Cumberbatch
OMG OMG OMG

kayaknya 5 bintang aja ga cukup buat ngegambarin bagusnya nih buku..
gw nangis, senyum, dan terkesima saat baca nih buku
ga kayak Pirate bikinan Johanna Lindsey yg dmen ngerape cewe
Pirate di buku ini tuh baaaiikkk banget
yh meskipun dy brutal dan manipulatif
dy sama sekali ga berniat ngerape cewe yg dculik
(yh meskipun ntarnya mrk jadi gituan juga)
tapi beneran dehh, mengharukan banget
as always, Meagan McKinney amazes me

Vashon is H.O.T
I love him I love him^^
dy bqn gw keinget bgt ama Jason F
Laura Murray
I read this book many years ago, when I was reading romance novels. Although my reading does not include this genre anymore, this is the one that I always go back to and read. It is my favorite pirate book and the one book from the romance genre that I have kept. I love it.
Andria
I love this! It's a beautifully written historical romance filled with pirates, angst, danger, and the high seas! Exactly what I needed! I highly recommend this book, and I can't wait to read more by this author.

Five out of five stars!
Mona Lisa Jones
loved it!

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a great romance. I loved the hero and heroin character development. Enjoy I did!
Jenny Rebecca
Just got done reading this one again. I haven't read it in a good 10 years if not more. It's funny all the things I remembered, and all the things I'd forgotten too.

Just got this book in the mail after ordering it on Amazon. I can't wait to experiance it again!

I read this book when I was 13 years old. I remember rereading it over and over that summer. I couldn't get enough of either this one or "When Angels Fall" Even though it's been years since I've read it, I can still clearly see Vashon's ta
Raj
I really enjoyed the book. I was a bit reluctant to read it, but I decided to give it a chance and it exceeded by expectations. Aurora was the exact opposite of what I thought she was going to be like. She was brave and courageous and didn't let Vashon break her down. I adored Vashon because he is the epitome of what a historical romance hero should be like. The book was very good except that Vashon cut his hair and became respectable. Aurora did not fall in love with a respectable Vashon and by ...more
adoree
Belle histoire d'aventure et de passion.
Le récit est un peu trop long. Certains passages auraient pu être évités. Mais c'est là, la marque de fabrique de McKinney.
L'héroine est une pleurnicheuse. Au fil du livre, elle s'améliore. Pour finalement pleurer un peu moins pour n'importe quoi. Ce coté pleurnicheur peut casser les pieds à certains moments.
Le héros est tourmenté à souhait. Ni trop, ni trop peu. C'est un gentil méchant ou un méchant gentil.
Comme d'habitude, la fin est étrange et rapide.
Trewen
This is surprisingly good. Definitely not your typical pirate romance where he is all gentle and kind and she falls at his feet in a puddle of lust.
This hero walks such a fine line you don't know what to think. And the heroine, appropriately fearful. (although she "moaned" way too often!)
If you like a good bodice-ripper, pirates, and a bad boy hero, read this book.
Jody
Very classy book!!!! You have a little bit of mistery, a little danger, a whole lot to pirates, and the best love story you will ever read. A very good read for anyone, no smutty way of putting romace. I would reccomend this book or Author to anyone.
sakura_txell
Me ha encantado. Los personajes son complicados, y la historia de amor es inolvidable. Además, hay que sumarle la magnífica presentación interior de la editorial Nefer, siempre tan cuidadosa en su diseño.
Kristina
I expected so much more after reading When Angels Fall. The heroine in this book was beyond annoying. You feel no emotion from her other than anger and annoyance. I was not impressed.
Mandy
I read this book in high school and I have NEVER forgotten it. Why did I love Vashon so much. I have finally found another copy and I can't wait to read it again to find out.
Tanya
Ok it has been ages since I was into Historical Romances, but I unashamedly loved this book.
Wild Rose
enjoyable read,with a hint of humour ,adventure ,angst and of course Romance .
Mary23nm
If you like the old style bodice ripper romances, then you will love this book.
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (Cameron Family Saga #2)
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Chance The Winds of Fortune
  • Bride of the Wind
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • Betrothed (Montagues, #2)
  • Desire in Disguise
  • An Indecent Proposition
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Forbidden Love
  • Uncommon Vows
  • Tempt the Devil
  • The Wind and the Sea
Ruth Leslie Goodman Roberson, well-known as Meagan McKinney gave up a thriving career as a biologist to become a full-time romance writer. She is author of over 20 critically acclaimed novels. Divorced, she lives with her two children in in New Orleans, Louisiana.
More about Meagan McKinney...
Lions And Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1) When Angels Fall Fair is the Rose My Wicked Enchantress No Choice But Surrender

“Anyone who braves the world sooner or later feels the consequences of it. —Lady Elizabeth Melbourne” 3 likes