Start by marking “Action! Mystery! Thrills!: Comic Book Covers of the Golden Age, 1933-1945” as Want to Read:
Action! Mystery! Thrills!: Comic Book Covers of the Golden Age, 1933-1945

Action! Mystery! Thrills!: Comic Book Covers of the Golden Age, 1933-1945

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
When we contemplate a memorable old comic book, the first thing that
comes to mind is its cover, and that was no accident. Publishers realized fairly
quickly that if they spent a little extra to hire a good cover artist, they could fill
the insides with mediocrity and still make a sizable profit — that all it took was
a striking cover to entice thousands of kids to fork over t...more
Published January 30th 2012 by Fantagraphics

To ask other readers questions about Action! Mystery! Thrills!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Action! Mystery! Thrills!

Andy
One look at the cover of Action! Mystery! Thrills! might be enough to turn off many potential buyers. I mean, come on, you’ve got swastikas and hooded fiends surrounding a young woman about to be sacrificed. Not exactly PC.... We learn from the inside of the book that this is one of the rarest of comic book covers drawn by Alex Schomburg from Suspense Comics #3, April, 1944. Okay, I get that it’s rare, but editor Greg Sadowski still could’ve used a different cover.

The front cover not withstandi...more
Rick
Feb 15, 2012 Rick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Editor/designer Greg Sadowski returns to his tireless exploration of the comic book with this magnificent collection of 176 full color covers, dating from the Golden Age. As in his previous volumes ( Supermen! , Four Color Fear , Setting the Standard ), Sadowski supplies copious end notes and annotations. Though this time, the information additionally reads as an entertaining history of early comics. Perhaps the book's only flaws rest in the lack of an index and that the annotations might better...more
Bart Hill
Nice, solid collection of Golden Age comic covers. I also liked the short descriptions of each cover giving an overview of artist, influences, and other insights to these comic books and their readers. So, why not a 5 star? Only because I wish more covers had been included.
Andreia
I guess there wasn't actually much reading in this except for the intro and the historical summaries at the end. This is a book of Comic Book Covers from 1933-1945. I think you can tell a lot about a society by what they read. Some of the character names were a hoot. The subject manner and some straight out racism is even evident. You can tell there wasn't any Political Correctness going on.
Richard
Nov 19, 2012 Richard rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: comics lovers of all ages
Recommended to Richard by: I saw a review.
I was amazed that I did not know most of these comics. The covers were too much alike, but that is not Mr. Sadowski's fault. I liked the thumbnails he put in the back of the book to sort of clarify each title.
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Mar 02, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Erik Wyse
Erik Wyse marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
sedrabnivag
sedrabnivag marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013
Harry
Harry added it
Feb 12, 2013
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2012
Andy Shuping
Andy Shuping marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2012
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
May 30, 2012
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 02, 2012
Four Color Fear: Forgotten Horror Comics of the 1950s Supermen!: The First Wave of Comic Book Heroes, 1936-1941 B.Krigstein, Vol. 1 The Comics Journal Library, Vol. 7: Harvey Kurtzman B.Krigstein, Vol. 2: A Life in Art from Comics to Canvas, 1955-1990