Start by marking “Action! Mystery! Thrills!: Comic Book Covers of the Golden Age, 1933-1945” as Want to Read:
Action! Mystery! Thrills!: Comic Book Covers of the Golden Age, 1933-1945

Action! Mystery! Thrills!: Comic Book Covers of the Golden Age, 1933-1945

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
When we contemplate a memorable old comic book, the first thing that
comes to mind is its cover, and that was no accident. Publishers realized fairly
quickly that if they spent a little extra to hire a good cover artist, they could fill
the insides with mediocrity and still make a sizable profit — that all it took was
a striking cover to entice thousands of kids to fork over t
Published January 30th 2012 by Fantagraphics

To ask other readers questions about Action! Mystery! Thrills!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Action! Mystery! Thrills!

Andy
Mar 11, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2013
One look at the cover of Action! Mystery! Thrills! might be enough to turn off many potential buyers. I mean, come on, you’ve got swastikas and hooded fiends surrounding a young woman about to be sacrificed. Not exactly PC.... We learn from the inside of the book that this is one of the rarest of comic book covers drawn by Alex Schomburg from Suspense Comics #3, April, 1944. Okay, I get that it’s rare, but editor Greg Sadowski still could’ve used a different cover.

The front cover not withstandi
Rick
Feb 15, 2012 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Editor/designer Greg Sadowski returns to his tireless exploration of the comic book with this magnificent collection of 176 full color covers, dating from the Golden Age. As in his previous volumes ( Supermen! , Four Color Fear , Setting the Standard ), Sadowski supplies copious end notes and annotations. Though this time, the information additionally reads as an entertaining history of early comics. Perhaps the book's only flaws rest in the lack of an index and that the annotations might bet ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 16, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
This book is jam-packed with comic book covers from the Golden Age of Comics, including a number of comics I had never even heard of. There is also a section at the end of the book that has some information about each of the covers. The color is great and the choice of titles is very wide.
Bart Hill
Jan 20, 2014 Bart Hill rated it really liked it
Nice, solid collection of Golden Age comic covers. I also liked the short descriptions of each cover giving an overview of artist, influences, and other insights to these comic books and their readers. So, why not a 5 star? Only because I wish more covers had been included.
Andreia
Jul 16, 2012 Andreia rated it really liked it
I guess there wasn't actually much reading in this except for the intro and the historical summaries at the end. This is a book of Comic Book Covers from 1933-1945. I think you can tell a lot about a society by what they read. Some of the character names were a hoot. The subject manner and some straight out racism is even evident. You can tell there wasn't any Political Correctness going on.
Richard
Nov 19, 2012 Richard rated it liked it
Recommends it for: comics lovers of all ages
Recommended to Richard by: I saw a review.
I was amazed that I did not know most of these comics. The covers were too much alike, but that is not Mr. Sadowski's fault. I liked the thumbnails he put in the back of the book to sort of clarify each title.
Harry Clayton
Harry Clayton marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Mats Forssblad
Mats Forssblad rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Michael Buckner
Michael Buckner rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Andrew Calaman
Andrew Calaman rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Gary Sassaman
Gary Sassaman rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Dada Milton
Dada Milton marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Galaxy
Galaxy added it
Jun 08, 2015
Jon
Jon added it
Feb 15, 2015
Bill Wallace
Bill Wallace rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Lachie T
Lachie T rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Bill Bryant
Bill Bryant marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Richard Sala
Richard Sala rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Austin
Austin added it
Nov 12, 2014
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Vanessa Éffe
Vanessa Éffe rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Neil
Neil rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014