Start by marking “The Feedstore Chronicles” as Want to Read:
The Feedstore Chronicles

The Feedstore Chronicles

Most coming-of-age stories are fraught with symbolism, hidden metaphors, and a heaping mound of other literary devices. Not this one. Not mine. You see, I came of age while working at a dusty Texas feed store. A place where To Kill a Mockingbird involved a twelve-year-old and a BB gun. Of Mice and Men was a problem easily solved with rat poison. And David Copperfield, noth ...more
Published October 20th 2011 by Barbadum Books

To ask other readers questions about The Feedstore Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feedstore Chronicles

Rick Daley
Jul 03, 2012 Rick Daley rated it really liked it
Travis Erwin’s semi-memoir The Feedstore Chronicles is a fictionalized account of his coming-of-age, set around his high school job in the Texas panhandle. It’s laugh-out-loud funny, and funny doesn’t come easy. Sure, some of the humor is crude. Okay, pretty much all of the humor is crude. There are a couple scenes that make fart jokes seem like church talk, one involving a bulldog. But it is funny, and it’s the voice with which Travis describes the awkward situations that makes the narrative so ...more
Ryan McSwain
Feb 28, 2015 Ryan McSwain rated it it was amazing
Memoirs are tricky books to pull off. Sometimes they work because they deal with an important event, or they revolve around a person everyone knows. The Feedstore Chronicles does neither, but it succeeds because it is well written, occasionally introspective, and often hilarious. It also makes my boring home town of Amarillo, Texas, feel like a cross between Green Acres and Twin Peaks.

We follow a young Travis through his high school years as he works at a feedstore for the morally bankrupt Doyle
Michael Gonzalez
Apr 29, 2012 Michael Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
I grew up in Cheyenne, Wyoming, the same type of small town Erwin so lovingly describes in The Feedstore Chronicles. I haven't really been back since leaving for college (in even smaller towns for my Bachelor's and Masters Degrees), and this book was like a homecoming. All of those memories - crappy jobs, summer nights where the only fun you could have is the fun you'd make, small town dreamers and schemers - populate the pages of this book.

The book walks a great tightrope between honest slice-
Joanne Brothwell
Sep 09, 2012 Joanne Brothwell rated it it was amazing
This book was laugh-out-loud hilarious, to the point where my eruptions of giggling annoyed those around me! I most enjoyed the candid and unflinchingly honest recounting of awkward situations involving equally quirky and eccentric people. Travis Erwin's engaging, heartfelt writing gets you hooked (shocked) from page one, keeps you entertained (in a morbidly curious way), and by the end, you feel like taking your new buddy Travis out for a beer. A fabulous read, highly recommended!
B.E.
May 01, 2013 B.E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun romp through the teen years of the author. I found myself nodding in places and knowing exactly what he was feeling in the others. Perhaps a little risque for my tastes here and there (which is why it's 4 instead of 5 stars - Goodreads really should have a 4.5 option), but overall a damn good book. I can't wait to see what's next for Travis. If you're looking for a light read with some good old-fashioned fun, and a little bathroom humor, this is the book for you.
JJ DeBenedictis
Dec 31, 2011 JJ DeBenedictis rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful little book--charming, funny and very heart-warming. It's not the sort of thing I normally read, but I really loved it! The book has some typographical errors, but that's the only thing I have to criticize about it; it's a lovely collection of yarns that wind through a young man's coming of age and culminate in him finding life-long love and wisdom from a very unlikely source.
Liz
May 01, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a terrific book! A coming-of-age story/memoir set in the early '90's in Texas and it all revolves around a working at a feed store. So the humor may be a bit crude, but it was funny! Nothing you wouldn't expect from a teenager and a not-so-grown up adult. Definitely worth the read.
Stephen Parrish
The cover sums it up; this memoir is a glimpse into a world most (civilized) people never see. Told in Erwin's distinctive voice, with lots of dry humor, The Feedstore Chronicles would make a great foundation for a sitcom, or even a movie.
Charles
Apr 16, 2012 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, friendsbooks
A wonderful book. Full of humor but not just a comedy. A coming of age story told with heart and warmth and, frequently, a little tongue-in-cheek. You'll never forget the characters you meet in these pages.
Cathy
Jan 19, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
The first half of this book was great. The second half, meh. I did like the way the author writes so I will check out his other books!
Lissa
Nov 14, 2011 Lissa rated it it was amazing
A really fun read!! I laughed a lot!!
Jack Willburn
Feb 04, 2014 Jack Willburn rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book about life in the panhandle. I know it was a coming of age story but it is just darned funny no matter how you look at it. If you are looking for a good read that will make you smile and not bog you down then you have got to check this one out. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did or even a smidgen as much would still be a hoot.
Sue Warner
Sue Warner rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
B.E.
B.E. rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
April
April rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013
Brad Mcbride
Brad Mcbride rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Jason Adams
Jason Adams rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Peter Dudley
Peter Dudley rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Sue Mcneill
Sue Mcneill rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Cindy
Mar 16, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
a bit crude at times, but funny and enjoyable
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2014
Reid Kerr
Reid Kerr rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2012
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Cindy Weimer
Cindy Weimer rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Jenny Archer
Jenny Archer rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Dee Burks
Dee Burks rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2011
I am a native Texan and despite the ever-present gale force winds here in The Panhandle, I can’t imagine living anyplace else. Long before I figured out that I wanted to be writer, I was an avid reader. I write humor as well as Women’s Fiction. Yes, I know it's a little weird for a six-foot-five, two- hundred, and too-many-pounds man to write “girly stuff” but what can I do. I have to write the ...more
More about Travis Erwin...