Start by marking “Mad Money (Madeline Carter Novels)” as Want to Read:
Mad Money (Madeline Carter Novels)

Mad Money (Madeline Carter #1)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A new life, a fresh start.

That's what Madeline Carter is looking for when she quits her high-pressure job in New York and moves to Los Angeles. But Madeline is one of those people who can't help but attract trouble ...

Beautiful, calm, quiet. It's everything Madeline imagined California would be ... everything her life as a stockbroker in New York wasn't. Still, when Made

Published March 2011 (first published December 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mad Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Money

Heidi
(Interesting note: This author is the mother of Seinfeld's Kramer.) I really enjoyed this novel. For me, some books I rush through either because; 1) They are so bad I want to get it over with or 2) They are so good that I race to the finish to see how it ends. Other books I read at a slower rate, either because; 1) I get interrupted over time and keep having to stop, then reread to refresh your memory before moving on, or 2) It is so boring and tedious that it is a chore to get through. Normall ...more
Julie
Jan 28, 2009 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Seattle Times
Good book...nothing outstanding, but a good bus book. I will read more by this author.
Crys Williams
I dunno. This was a moderately fun and interesting read...i mean, i stayed up all night to finish it. But there were a lot of disconnects with last minute tie-ups and tie-ins.

And stuff that didn't make sense, like the immediate (near instant) close relationships among these people, and how Carter felt information was urgent enough to drive around and risk her life for, but not worth busting out her cell phone (or even finding a pay phone) to immediately tell someone the info once she had it.

Lika
Jan Strnad
Mad Money is the first book in a series about amateur detective Madeline Carter.

Due to a brutal murder at her NY brokerage firm, Carter retires to Los Angeles, takes up residence in a cliffside apartment in Malibu owned by a movie director, and settles in for some day trading. Acting on a bit of inside information, she invests most of her money in a "sure thing" that quickly unravels and sends her scurrying for answers about her past life and current life choices.

It's an easy read that kept me i
Marguerite Czajka
This book started slow for me. The descriptions of how trading worked bored me and I skimmed them. But it picked up near the end. I read it on my Kindle and I was at 70%, then the next thing I knew I was at 96%! I actually went back to make sure I didn't somehow miss a chapter. So it approved enough that I'll check out the next ones.
Nancy
After witnessing a brutal crime, Madeleine Carter escapes her high-velocity New York City life for the laid-back atmosphere of Los Angeles. One night she runs into an old boyfriend, now a high-powered CEO, who lets her in on a great investment opportunity. But soon she discovers that the stock is tumbling, taking her money with it--and her ex is nowhere to be found. Compelled to get to the bottom of the disappearance, Madeleine turns amateur sleuth and discovers that she is the only person with ...more
Joan
The story was pretty good but had a slow start. I was at least 1/3 of the way into the book before there was any suspense or much of a story beyond "woman quits job in NY and moves to LA to start over." The actions Madeline took as a beginning day trader were pretty unbelievable too and did not seem to fit with her identity as a smart broker. Once the action picked up the book got much better. I enjoyed the secondary characters a lot, and Madeline's amateur sleuthing was really entertaining. Hop ...more
Jill
the stock market info/descriptions were a little difficult to follow
Marti
This was a rather outrageous story. My favorite character was Tycho, the dog, who didn't even belong to the main character Madeline Carter, former stock broker, who lives in the guest house of a family in LA. She gets mixed up in the kidnapping of both a former boyfriend, and her landlord's teenage daughter, getting friendly with a woman private investigator who is following her. Very strange!
Will Phillipson
KINDLE - FREE
GOOD MYSTERY
DIANA MIGHT LIKE
Sher Ling
I got this book for free as part of an amazon subscription. I'm halfway through but probably won't keep reading to the end. The dialogue in the book feels forced, and different characters speak too similarly. The writing is easy to read, but the pace drags at times. As another reviewer noted: more editing and cutting could have salvaged this read.
Renee
I good book, fast read, but something was loose and not tied up in the end. If I was Jack's wife I dont know if I could be friends with Madeline, but stranger things went on. Good outlook on the stock market
Jack
Complicated, if somewhat over-imaginative thriller about a New York stockbroker who, having moved west to start a new life, gets embroiled in a mystery involving a former boyfriend.
Heather
May 27, 2013 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: free/cheap download
Particularly good for something I got as a free/cheap download--I've since given up on those, but had downloaded this a while ago.
Tracy Burger
Not a bad book. The best part about it was it was the very first book I read on my Kindle!!!
Emmaauty
Great read. REally enjoyed the pace and plot as well as the characters. Good twisty thriller.
Jolie
Pretty good murder mystery. Liked that it took place in LA and that the heroine was likable
Benni Chisholm
Mad Money kept me in suspense, informed about day trading, and was a fun read.
Valerie
This is a decent read, a little bit thriller and a little bit mystery.
Brandy
it was a pretty good book. easy read and not to difficilt to follow
Dayle
Quick, easy read...good beach book.
Eunira
Mar 05, 2012 Eunira marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Freebie fom Amazon. March 5, 2012
Dana Sahm
Enjoyable, quick summer read!
Judy Dale
Good - fairly fast read
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Rubigrangea Cooper
Rubigrangea Cooper marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
  • House Report
  • Muffin Man
  • Julius Katz Mysteries
  • Deadly Blessings (An Alex St. James Mystery #1)
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • Castle Cay (Julie O'Hara Mystery #1)
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Deadly Stillwater (McRyan Mystery Series, #2)
  • Black Oil, Red Blood
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • The Prophet Motive
  • A Witness Above (Frank Pavlicek Mysteries, #1)
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • Legwork
  • Sudden Death
  • Open Season (Joe Gunther #1)
  • Hard Press'd (Preston Andrews Mystery #1)
Death Was the Other Woman Death Was in the Picture Calculated Loss The Next Ex Hitting Back