Start by marking “Professor Munakata's British Museum Adventure” as Want to Read:
Professor Munakata's British Museum Adventure

Professor Munakata's British Museum Adventure

Follow Professor Munakata as he embarks on a series of exciting adventures at the British Museum. Worked in elegant black-and-white graphics, the episodes see the black-cloaked professor encountering mystical challenges and making deductions about some of the museums most iconic objects.
Published July 1st 2011 by British Museum Press

To ask other readers questions about Professor Munakata's British Museum Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Professor Munakata's British Museum Adventure

Ferdy
Dec 31, 2014 Ferdy rated it it was ok

Kind of liked it, the plot was engaging enough but at the same time it was rather cheesy and predictable. It was a run of the mill sort of mystery with a bunch of valuable things going missing and the title character investigating. The professor was likeable enough, but he wasn't the most charismatic or intelligent of characters. I wasn't impressed with his investigative skills, he didn't really do any investigating, his assistant did most of the work and then he connected the oh so obv
Mizuki
Aug 10, 2013 Mizuki rated it really liked it
Hoshino Yukinobu's Professor Munakata series is one of my all time favorite. Mr. Hoshino's stories are rich in both imagination and solid research---although I don't always agree with Professor Munakata/Mr. Hoshino's conjunction. If you're interested in Japanese/Eastern myths, folklore, history and anthropology, read this series!

I like how Professor Munakata links Japanese myths and folktales with human nature and sometime he also relates the myths with other cultures such as Chinese/Korean/Indi
Nicole
Jan 16, 2017 Nicole rated it liked it
Maybe my rating is unfair, because I don't really like reading comics and manga. However, I was at the British Museum over the weekend and saw this book at the bookstore in the Great Court. I thought it would tie up my visit nicely. I did end up enjoying that the setting was at the museum I had just visited (and loved!), and I also liked the little bits of history in the story.
However, it just wasn't the kind of story or type of media I enjoy. So really, three stars means it was good, consideri
Mia
Mar 20, 2016 Mia rated it liked it
This was a very interesting graphic novel, one that delved into factual history quite often. The inclusion of facts woven into a work of fiction isn't a new thing, but it is done quite differently here, and the way it features the British Museum (possibly my favourite museum) is clever, entertaining and rewarding. Aside from consistent entertainment through factual insights into certain museum artefacts, the narrative is also fun and has some moments of greatness, although all-in-all the narrati ...more
Andrew
Feb 09, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it
Leslynn
Mar 20, 2016 Leslynn rated it liked it
Pippa Ashton
Jan 08, 2013 Pippa Ashton rated it it was ok
Heh, this is a really weird one. It poses lots if uncomfortable truths about the objects in The British Museum yet it's something they seem weirdly proud of. There are always lots of references to it around any Japanese objects the museum has on show. Maybe it's due to the pulling power of manga. I can't imagine Neil Macgregor is entirely happy at repatriation being at the heart of the story and his introduction is a bit clunky. The translation doesn't entirely flow either but it's an interestin ...more
Adan
Dec 02, 2015 Adan rated it liked it
Interesting mystery of someone stealing Stonehenge and holding it ransom to force the British Museum to give back various artifacts to the countries they were taken from. Even more interesting that the British Museum commissioned this manga and allowed the main character to flat out say that some of these works of art were looted from their original countries.

Anyway, interesting, yes, but also somewhat didactic in how it presents art and history, which was very distracting to the story. The art
Cameron
Jul 13, 2013 Cameron rated it really liked it
A strong 4 star effort, but not quite good enough to be a 5 star and not quite something I could recommend to a non-manga audience.

Very interesting story working in iconic pieces from the British Museum. The artwork is excellent, the pacing and execution of the story is very well done.

The treatment of the themes of empire, acquisition, repatriation and national pride are of interest as they come from an "outsider" from another former empire.

Due to its quirkiness it is not a book book that I cou
❀ Hana
Overall, it's a good and enjoyable story. However, I'm still unable to see any good it would bring by keeping (looting?) cultural properties of colonised countries, especially to the people whom these artefacts used to belong to. How could they appreciate their own (one-time?) treasures from afar, due to the fact not everyone can afford to visit these so-called developed countries?
Mortalform
Apr 14, 2013 Mortalform rated it really liked it
Graphic novel filled with illustrations of the treasures of the British Museum as well as some of London's famous landmarks.

"Knowledge is nurtured when objects and ideas a brought together. New ideas and discovery are only made through active inquiry and exchange with other types of knowledge and objects." p 37
Gunderhaegg
Jul 02, 2013 Gunderhaegg rated it really liked it
This action-packed story based around the historical collections at the British Museum in London may not be the most realistic story ever, but for those who have visited the museum, it is an enjoyable read. Stonehenge, the Rosetta stone, Napoleon, St. Paul's,... you name it... it's all there!
Karen
Nice drawings in places, but the storytelling and flow was shoddy and the plot unbelievable and very slow. Lovely idea for a museum to collaborate with a manga artist, I had high hopes for this GN, unfortunately it did not live up to them.
Emmeline Pidgen
Jun 04, 2015 Emmeline Pidgen rated it liked it
Such lovely artwork and an engaging story, but I really felt a "The British Museum Is Great!" almost propaganda push from it (well, I do love The British Museum, but some of the ethics that came out in the book made that a bit wobbly).
Fátima López sevilla
The drawing is amazing, though some of the text is... well, is confusing, but I want to think it's because it's a translation from the Japanese.
Saz Gee
Jul 27, 2014 Saz Gee rated it liked it
Excellent! Loved the audacity of the story and the tension between the British Museum as a thief and a conservor.
Anna Silalahi
Jun 19, 2013 Anna Silalahi rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, comics
It's fun and thrilling but I have a feeling of exaggeration and too much love towards British. If that's really happened with Napoleon I would say just give it back to them.
Jessiclees
Aug 21, 2012 Jessiclees rated it it was amazing

Brilliant, beautiful drawings. Some of the plot is a little tenuous in the way it holds together, but all that can be forgiven because if the beauty of the book
Jono
Apr 04, 2012 Jono rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Partly for just admiring the illustrations, and partly because it's all based right round the corner, and partly for the imagination. Quick. Fun.
JoB
JoB rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Diego
Diego rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Francine Chu
Feb 10, 2015 Francine Chu rated it liked it
Good graphics; weird story
Leluke
Leluke rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Keith Franks
Keith Franks rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
James Booth
James Booth rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014