Start by marking “The Scent of Rain” as Want to Read:
The Scent of Rain

The Scent of Rain

Could it be that the life Daphne's always wanted is right under her nose?

Daphne Sweeten left Paris--and a job she loved--to marry the man of her dreams in the U.S. But when he stands her up on their wedding day, she's left reeling and senseless. Literally. She's been trained as a perfume creator and now her sense of smell has disappeared along with her fiance.

She has to fi
Published August 7th 2012 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Scent of Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scent of Rain

Cathy Daniel
Jul 25, 2012 Cathy Daniel rated it it was ok
Disappointing :( Kristin Billerbeck does funny very well, in fact she is the Queen of humorous Chick Lit. This one wasn't funny, it wasn't mean't to be funny. But she wasn't operating in her gift of humor so it flopped for me. The main heroine is so insecure and like a child, I can't believe she actually was a degreed Scientist! Just was....flat :( HIGHLY RECOMMEND The Spa Girls series as a good example of what this author can do.
Jun 02, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying that I won an Advanced Readers Copy from the author, Kristin Billerbeck, which is how I obtained the book before it was released. The title of the book is listed as Paris in the Rain but the title on the copy that I received reads The Scent of Rain.

I am an avid fan of Kristin Billerbeck and have read almost all of her books. This book however did not follow the format of her previous novels such as With This Ring, I'm Confused, but more of Smitten which showed the same eve
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
Full review here:

As a resident of Vancouver, one of the rainiest cities in North America, my nose is well attuned to the scent of rain. For me, the scent of rain raises a host of polarizing emotions from dread to a comfort. Unfortunately, The Scent of Rain also had the same affect on me as its namesake.

Daphne as a heroine is a contradiction: she is supposed to be a sophisticated, highly educated, society girl who lived in Paris but she is very naive and (
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
I really wanted to like this one. The premise sounded unique, but unfortunately I wasn't able to connect with the story or the characters.

The over-abundance of office politics at Gibraltar was too much for my taste, and I just couldn't bring myself to be excited about the relationship between Daphne and Jesse. I know there was supposed to be an attraction between the two characters, but I had a hard time seeing why. Jesse's constant attempts at convincing Daphne to leave the company in order to
Jul 26, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Daphne Sweeten lost everything in one moment: her wedding day. She gave her dream job working with perfume in Paris to marry the man she loves, who stands her up at the altar and takes her job. As if it couldn’t get any worse, she loses her sense of smell the same day. Forced to move to Dayton, Ohio, where she and her fiancé had planned to live, Daphne will have to figure out a way to work without her sense of smell.

Kristin Billerbeck is the queen of Christian chick lit, and this one won’t disa
The Scent of Rain..

I am a big Kristin Billerbeck fan, and was excited to have a chance to review a book of hers. However this book didn't quite live up to some of her others such as Split Ends or etc..
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Jan 15, 2016 Wall-to-wall books - wendy rated it really liked it
This was my second book by Kristin Billerbeck and it was just as cute as the first (A Billion Reasons Why). I would call this "Christian Chick-Lit" and I love Chick-Lit so - Perfect!
This story was cute, funny, quirky and romantic. It did have a couple of twists in it that kind of surprised me. The ending was a little predictable, BUT as I have said in the past - that does not bother me! I like my books to end the way I want them to and this one did! So again - Perfect! LOL

The character developme
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Aug 24, 2012 Patricia Kemp Blackmon rated it really liked it
Daphne has been stood up. Not stood up on a date, she has been stood up at the alter. The groom nor his family ever showed up at the church.

The only thing she feels right now is humiliated. It is as is she is in a daze unable to move. So many things are racing through her mind.
Had she not seen this coming?
He was so attentive and told her he loved her.
Her father bought them a house and they were suppose to move into it after the honeymoon.
What about the new job they were suppose to start?
They w
Jul 14, 2012 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Kristin Billerbeck is one of those authors I seek out when I want a fun chick lit read She writes with a flair that brings the story to life with humor and goodness.
Daphne feels that her life is "right on track" until her fiancee leaves her standing at the altar. And not only did she leave her wonderful job, a job she loves and a place she loved but now her sense of smell has walked out one her too. Her sense of smell is her lifeline. Her job! And now what does she have?!?
At her ne
Julie Graves
Jul 21, 2012 Julie Graves rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, 2012-reads
Daphne Sweeten has a "nose" for perfume, but when she is left alone at the alter that gift disappears along with all of her dreams. Hopeful that her condition is just temporary Daphne starts her new job as a "nose" for Gibraltar Products in Dayton, Ohio.

Jesse left his job at Procter & Gamble to work at Gibraltar in hopes that he would have more time with his son Ben. He knows that the company does not have funds or the need for a "nose" but it seems his boss has set out to cause him to fail
Jul 23, 2012 Mandolin rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-inventory
Leaving her stranded at the alter is only the beginning of Mark Goldsmith's heinous behavior toward the fiancee who once thought he was her prince. Left bewildered by his sudden betrayal and confused at her failure to notice the signs, Daphne Sweeten is further devastated when she learns that the entire basis for her career as a scent designer - her sense of smell - has suddenly disappeared on the heels of her groom. How can she face her new employer without her one vital skill? She knows that G ...more
Paula  Phillips
Jul 22, 2012 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012 Loraine rated it really liked it
Sometimes there is a book that you connect to not through the story itself, but through the memories that it brings back to you. Scent of Rain is one of those books. The sense of smell is one of the greatest triggers to a person’s memories and that is the element that Kristin Billerbeck uses to captivate the reader’s interest. I am a Billerbeck fan and have read almost all of her books. I was actually really looking forward to reading her newest release, but found the book description a little h ...more
Why I Read This Book
I’ve only read one other book that really deals with scent, The Book of Lost Fragrances, and I loved the way that the scents were described — so much so that I could almost smell them through the book. When I saw The Scent of Rain on Booksneeze I was interested because it was written by Kristin Billerbeck who had contributed a story to the Christian romance novel, Smitten — and the main character was a perfume creator. It looked like an interesting read!

My Thoughts
Feb 24, 2015 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
I received The Scent of Rain from Thomas Nelson via Booksneeze in exchange for an honest review – thank you to them.

The synopsis: Daphne arrives at the church in her Monique Lhuillier gown to marry her beloved Mark, for whom she has given up her job as a perfumer, a professional "nose" – in Paris. He was unable to find work in France – for various reasons which become clear later – and so she has flown home to marry in the US and go to work at the same company as Mark, a small chemical company i
Erin Al-Mehairi
Sep 05, 2012 Erin Al-Mehairi rated it really liked it
I loved the light-hearted, contemporary, fun new novel by Kristin Billerbeck, called The Scent of Rain. It was an amusing, yet often touching, look at the life of a young woman gone awry. I suppose that sounds like an issue many books are centered around; however, I felt this book very original and Billerbeck’s writing style humorous and emotive. Alright, quite honestly, she was more than amusing and humorous….she was completely hysterical!! If you like authors like Rachel Hauck or Jenny Jones, ...more
Aug 05, 2012 Martha rated it really liked it
Daphne Sweeten has given up much for love. She left her dream job to marry the man she loves! But when her dreams for happiness and marriage seemed to crumble into dust when she is abandoned at the altar, she feels like everything in life is all wrong! Then something even worse happens…. her nose, her ticket to her job as a professional “nose” fails on her. Nothing tastes good, nothing smells right and she is left trying to figure things out.

Pulling herself up by her bootstraps, or comfortable s
Daphne Sweeten has just completed training to be a ‘nose’ in the perfume industry, and has returned home to marry before starting a new life and a new perfume formulation job in Dayton, Ohio. But fiancé Mark Goldsmith doesn’t show up for the wedding, and she later finds out that he has abandoned her and taken her dream job in Paris. The house her father bought her as a wedding present is a dump. And to make matters worse, she seems to have lost her sense of smell.

Jesse Lightner is a middle manag
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Aug 14, 2012 Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM) rated it really liked it
Have you ever had one of those days that starts out perfect but ends far short of that? We meet Daphne on her wedding day. A day that has been planned out to the tiniest detail. She has the perfect location, perfect cake and of course the perfect designer dress. The only little snag in the day is the groom. He decided not to show. In fact the whole groom’s side of the church is empty.

Can this really be happening? She has given up a prestigious career in the perfume industry in Paris to take a j
Aug 19, 2012 Pattie rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2012
The premise of this book is good:
"When deprived of her most prized sense, Daphne discovers a life she never expected, right under her nose.

Daphne Sweeten has left Paris – and a career she loves – in order to marry a man she loves even more. But when he stands her up on their wedding day, Daphne’s left reeling. Trained as a professional “nose” or perfume creator, Daphne soon realizes that her sense of smell has somehow disappeared too.

In the days following she moves to Dayton, Ohio, to take on

Aug 21, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
This is the story of Daphne Sweeten who is a “nose”. She has a highly developed sense of smell that enabled her to get a dream job in Paris. She gives it all up to return to the United States to marry, and work as a nose–at a much less than glamorous company–with her new spouse.

Unfortunately, Daphne is left at the altar, and shortly after, her sense of smell mysteriously disappears. After being stood up, Daphne’s self-worth and self-confidence disappear, as well.

What should Dahpne do? Should s
Nikole Hahn
Oct 01, 2012 Nikole Hahn rated it it was amazing
Daphne Sweeten is left at the altar in The Scent of Rain by Kristin Billerbeck. It’s a story of overcoming difficult obstacles, trusting again, and falling in love.

Daphne met and fell in love with Mark. The truth about Mark came out after he and his family never showed up at their wedding. In response, Daphne and her bridesmaids ate the top of the wedding cake, took her signature perfume scent she had created as party favors, and the job waiting for her in Dayton, Ohio.

What I loved about Daphne
Renae Sattazahn
Sep 02, 2012 Renae Sattazahn rated it liked it
To date, I have read eleven of Kristin Billerbeck's novels. I am, and always will be, a fan. She is one of the very few Christian writers that focus on the chick-lit genre, so I am eager to see her stay "in the business" so that we can look forward to more chick-lit!
"The Scent of Rain" is about Daphne Sweeten, a professional nose who has been trained in Paris and comes back to the United States to get married. As bad luck would have it, her groom fails to show up. In the meantime, she has alread
Sep 03, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading The Scent of Rain by Kristin Billerbeck. It is light reading but keeps you in enough suspense that you want to keep reading to find out what will happen next.
What’s worse than showing up for your wedding and the groom is a no-show? How about losing your sense of smell when you’re a professional nose! Daphne Sweeten left her dream job in a Paris perfumery to get married because there were no available jobs for her fiancé, Mark Goodsmith, in Paris. After their wedding, Mar
Original post from One More Page

Daphne Sweeten is a professional nose -- by that, we mean she's a chemist who is trained to be a perfume creator. When she gets stood up on her wedding day, though, her sense of smell disappears. Trying to piece her life back together, she works for a small company in Ohio, hoping to get her sense of smell back and fly back to Paris, which she gave up for the supposed love of her life. But her new job requires her nose, too, and her new boss, Jesse, doesn't seem t
Oct 11, 2012 Mainon rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Sometimes reading a book is like eating a thick, juicy steak. The language is meaty and rich, the ideas are complex and require some time to be properly digested, and the only other thing you need for a perfect evening is a comfy chair and a glass of good wine.

In between those books, I sometimes find I need a palate cleanser. Light, easy reading that takes very little effort or time to enjoy. This book filled that role admirably.

Daphne Sweeten (the sweetly punny last name was a little unnecessar
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)

Nov 24, 2012 Kaylea rated it liked it
What happens if you are a "professional nose" and you lose your sense of smell?

In her newest release, Kristin Billerbeck tackles that very question, as she crafts a story around Daphne Sweeten - a professional perfume creator, who loses her sense of smell on the day she is left jilted at the altar.

A loss of marriage, beloved job, a city she adores, and even her sense of smell.

Daphne is facing a lot of loss and disappointment.

She also finds herself working with Jesse (her new boss) to create hous
Nov 02, 2013 Trish rated it it was ok
This was the first book I'd read by Billerbeck; I thought the premise was original, and was excited to dive into the story.

Daphne is amazingly smart, beautiful, bilingual, talented --- oh, but apparently she's too trusting. Her groom is a no-show at the wedding, but she bravely continues on her new "life plan" including moving to Ohio and working at a household products firm. Jesse, her new boss, is a workaholic who still hasn't totally dealt with the death of his wife.

Hmmmmm, wonder where this
Oct 22, 2016 Beth rated it it was ok
Ok book. I'm not at all interested in Christian romance so that kinda put me off but the story plot was interesting.
  • Smitten (Smitten #1)
  • Dining with Joy (Lowcountry Romance, #3)
  • The Trouble with Cowboys (A Big Sky Romance #3)
  • Dawn Comes Early (The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, #1)
  • Nowhere, Carolina (Southern Discomfort #2)
  • Cottage by the Sea (Hideaway #3)
  • Starring Me
  • Everything's Coming Up Josey (Josey, #1)
  • Barcelona Calling
  • Chocolate-Covered Baloney (Confessions of April Grace #3)
  • When Memories Fade (Victory Gospel Series, #2)
  • Love Is a Battlefield (A Walk in the Park, #1)
  • At Home for the Holidays
  • Oh, Baby!
  • To Write a Wrong (Justice Seekers, #2)
  • Unconditional
  • A Mile in My Flip-Flops
  • Always the Baker, Finally the Bride (Emma Rae Creations, #4)
About Kristin
I grew up with a strong sense of justice. I simply knew the way things should be. And since I’m not smart enough to be a district attorney, I am a novelist. My childhood was slightly confusing. I blame my parents for this. Oh heck, I’m going to blame them for everything. I think I would have turned out normal if it weren’t for them.
the billerbeck's

Okay, probably not. I am a fourth-g
More about Kristin Billerbeck...

“Like God’s mercies are new every day, the scent of rain washes away what’s old and begins fresh.” 0 likes