Start by marking “Gezichtsverlies” as Want to Read:
Gezichtsverlies

Gezichtsverlies (Commissario Brunetti #18)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  3,159 Ratings  ·  390 Reviews
De Venetiaanse commissaris van politie Guido Brunetti krijgt van een collega van de militaire politie het verzoek om te helpen bij een onderzoek naar illegale afvaltransporten en de moord op een transporteur.
Published October 2010 by De Bezige Bij (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Gezichtsverlies, please sign up.

Margaret1358 Joyce Interesting question. The ending did lack a satisfying plot resolution. The author may have been experimenting with a bit of post-modernism, in that…moreInteresting question. The ending did lack a satisfying plot resolution. The author may have been experimenting with a bit of post-modernism, in that she opted to reference the insolubility of crime in Italy, rather than staying within her imagined world for a more organic resolution.(less)

Eric_W
Dec 05, 2011 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who follows my reviews will know that I am a fan of Donna Leon and love her characters. Emphasis on character. If you want action you will be bored. On the other hand if you enjoy character development with occasional lapses into discussion of Cicero and Ovid, not to mention Henry James, and biting commentary on the state of Italian government and the corruption of Italian society, you cannot help but love Leon’s books.

My biggest complaint with this audiobook is the reader, David Colacci.
Tamara
Jun 15, 2009 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Comissario Brunetti and I enjoyed reading this book but the ending was so stupid it ruined the whole thing for me. Stop reading if you don't want to know the end... The woman who was the central character was a victim of medical malpractice and had to have extensive facial reconstruction, but she would rather people think that she had had way too many facelifts than let them know about the medical issue. That is totally unbelieveable to me. Then when her husband lets slip about ...more
Jeanette
Oh, some of the Brunetti relationships (familial and otherwise) do grab some depth in this one. Especially between Guido and his father-in-law, the Conte. And he also has a new equal in rank colleague Griffoni at work. She sounds like she physically fits into a Swedish modeling job gig more than into the police bureau. But no, she's apt!

I wanted to give it a 4 star but I just could not. 3.5 it is, at least. But Paola's remarks, especially upon the readings discussed and also the politico assumpt
Monica
Sep 22, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great book by Donna Leon featuring the wonderful Commissario Brunetti. Leon is the queen when it comes to writing a crime book where the actual crime is such a small part of the story...vital...but not the beginning and end point. She writes about what it is to be human, to be compassionate. She writes about Venice in a way that makes me want to be there. Brunetti is such a strong and well developed character...I expect to meet him any now.
Jon
Jun 06, 2009 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My faith in Donna Leon is restored, after what was for me the disaster of "The Girl of his Dreams." All the regular characters are here, with the addition of a new one--the fascinating Commissaria (same rank as Brunetti) Claudia Griffoni. She is beautiful, a bit mysterious, and Brunetti is as smitten as anybody married to Paola could be. She looks to become a regular. I hope so. The mystery is a good one and is solved. Justice is done, although not in a way that would appeal to American jurispru ...more
Moushine Zahr
This title is the first novel I read from American author Donna Leon, but it is the 18th novel of the Commissaire Brunetti investigation. I guess it is nice to finally read police stories in which the main officer has a family, a functionnal family, and a personnal life beyond his job unlike the too many stories and TV series we're very familiar with. However, there is little action and little suspense in this book. I am not thrilled by this particular book, but I'll give another try to another ...more
Joyce Lagow
Ever since the debacle of Through A Glass Darkly, I ve opened a new Donna Leon/Commisario Brunetti book with trepidation. The next two, Suffer The Little Children and The Girl of His Dreams, were pleasant surprises; while not the strongest (it s hard to live up to Aqua Alta), they were very good and promised a return to Leon s old form.[return][return]Unfortunately, this latest in the series is mediocre at best. It s mostly filler; at least half of the book is irrelevant to the story. Instead, w ...more
Bill Lancaster
Donna Leon's eighteenth book, About Face, is ostensibly a mystery about the accumulation (and storage and transport) of trash in Venice, Italy. It also concerns the fate of a woman with excessive facial plastic surgery. Leon's recurring character, Commissario Guido Brunetti, is tasked with finding the killer of a fellow police officer, who was investigating the illegal transport of environmental waste.
This is the first Brunetti mystery I've read and I recognize the protagonist as a very likable
Lynne
Jan 30, 2013 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guido-s-picks
Another excellent book by Donna Leon. Another one with an ending that doesn't tie it neatly in a bow for us, but leaves it ambiguous - just like real life. Guido Brunetti continues to be a character who is a mensch in the finest sense of the word. He struggles to walk the fine line between idealism and being a realist. Above all, he remains a decent human being who is an excellent just of humankind.

In this book, the author reveals the international issue of garbage and where it goes - legally o
Sara
Mar 25, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The perfect face...which does not move with her emotions...and a mind far beyond most of her acquaintances, except for Donatella and Brunetti.
The story behind the face involves a perfect string of crimes, as well as an ancient Roman capacity for self-sacrifice in the cause of honour, in the manner of Ovid's "Fasti."
Would have been 4.5 stars, but for a lengthy excursion into a storage container which was difficult to visualize and could have been shorter, IMHO.
Mary Ellen
Feb 13, 2016 Mary Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The murder of a member of the Caribinieri is the central mystery to be solved, but the solving of it takes a chapter or two of basic police work. Many more pages are spent on the mystery of plastic surgery gone wrong on the face of a young woman who has an antiquated taste in reading and a somewhat incomprehensible allure for Brunetti.

I kept waiting for this book to become as engaging and enjoyable as all the other Brunetti books I've read. And then it was over, and it never had.
Bebe
Oct 09, 2013 Bebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Commissario (Dottore) Guido Brunetti of the police in Venice, this time going after a cop-killer and illegal dumping of hazardous waste, and he still finds time for his Caffe Coretto, wine and grappa, amazing man. I am so sad, because there are not that many Guido Brunetti mysteries left to read...might have to start over with the first one.
Richard
Well worth reading, like all Donna Leon, but this particular title, for me, lacks the wonderful domestic details that are so endearing about the Brunetti books; Signorina Elettra is not on full form and, again for me, the plot is not quite as good as usual. However, very glad I read it, and Donna Leon, even when not at her very best, is head and shoulders above many!!!
Donna
Another enjoyable outing with Commissario Brunetti and company. Leon's books are like a vacation in Venice but with a dash of crime and social commentary. The descriptions of the canals, the food, the sights and sounds are terrific and the bad guys usually get caught.
Sep 19, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This wasn't my favorite of the Commissario Brunetti mysteries. There was little action and the end left too much unresolved. And normally I am fine with an "all talking" book! But somehow this one needed something more to it.
Rachelle Urist
Jun 06, 2010 Rachelle Urist rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This mystery writer is renowned for capturing the color and geography of Venice, Italy. If that’s all you need in a book, read this. I don’t care about local color – unless it supports and helps drive the plot. For a mystery writer, she generates little suspense. A real bore.
Gisela Hafezparast
Definately one of the better ones of the series although the end is a bit untidy. Read it to get away from things for a bit and it is perfect for that.
Robert B
Dec 28, 2016 Robert B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My first procedural featuring the Venetian detective, Commissario Guido Brunetti, struck me as a bit muddled, alternating between an investigation of illegal garbage hauling and the story of the young wife of a friend of Brunetti's father-in-law, who kills the man with whom she has apparently been having an affair. Brunetti is an interesting, clever character, but the city of Venice gets little attention here.
MELISSIA LENOX
I listened to About Face via Overdrive. About Face was the first book I read by Donna Leon. It is the 18th book in Leon's Commissario Brunetti series. I really enjoyed About Face, Commissario Brunetti and other recurring characters, the ecological/climate change plot angle, and Leon's writing style.
Alison 1965
May 16, 2017 Alison 1965 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writing, appealing central character, and a beautifully evoked setting which I particularly appreciated as I read most of this book whilst on holiday in Venice.
Dave
May 05, 2017 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite good, also loved the settings in Venice. Might try others in this series.
Alejandrina
May 19, 2017 Alejandrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leon-donna
I had already read this one :)
Jan J
Nov 07, 2016 Jan J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Venice is wonderful!
Kirsten
Jan 28, 2017 Kirsten rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I continue to enjoy this series.
Meryl Sussman
Mar 07, 2017 Meryl Sussman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went from one Guido Brunetti book to this one, not wanting to leave Venice and the wonderful characters. This book focused on ecological crimes: a conspiracy to dump toxic wastes. But as all Leon books, the story is infused with the human element: why did a beautiful woman have plastic surgery that distorted her face into a lifeless mask? Can she really love her husband who is twice her age? Does he love her as she is now? Why has driven her into an affair with a sordid criminal?

In this book,
Toni Osborne
Book 18, in Commissario Guido Brunetti mystery series

Donna Leon’s novels draw attention to the corruption, the incompetence and the depravity of a society where government agencies live alongside criminal gangs and one may only wonder which one is worst…This latest novel deals with national and international waste-disposal businesses that are riddled with corruption. For those who are fans of Donna Leon novels, this one has no surprise.

The story opens with Brunetti and his wife Paola invited to
Dale
Apr 25, 2009 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, italy
I really don't want to write a negative review of this novel. I have read the previous 17 novels in the Brunetti series with great pleasure. The series has been consistently excellent, with well-drawn and believable characters, a nice mixture of politics and plot, irony and compassion. Eventually, though, nearly every mystery series hits the wall; the story elements don't gel, the characters get stale, the author loses the initial passion that made the series come alive. Has this happened here? ...more
Sep 17, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
At this point in time, it seems fitting to me to mention that I am on a mission to read as many books in this series as I can get my hands on. I am grateful for my book rental club membership and the fact that they have enabled me to pursue this goal without having to purchase a book. The aforementioned situation maybe coming to an end shortly, since they don’t have all the titles in this series available for rental.

You might be asking why I like these books so much. Let me see if I can explain
Deborah Moulton
Mar 04, 2010 Deborah Moulton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brunetti meets his match in this book: the wife of a wealthy, powerful man who loves the Roman authors as much as he does. When she beguiles him over dinner and suggests he read Ovid's Falsti he fails to take the clue. Then he discovers she lives the tale, ending with her murder of a Camorra operative.

An integral part of her story is her disfigured face. Everyone assumes it's the result of too much cosmetic surgery and treat her as worthy of their scorn; someone who just couldn't stop altering
Spuddie
Another entry in the Commissario Guido Brunetti series set in Venice, Italy. The audio version was skillfully read and I very much enjoy Guido, his family, his co-workers and the author's ability to so thoroughly and magically evoke the city of Venice. However, I will just say that the actual mysteries in these past few books including this one have not been very good and are nearly interchangeable. There's way too much conspiracy theory, government corruption, Mafia involvement, etc. being part ...more
donna leon 1 2 Jan 21, 2017 06:12AM
  • The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano, #3)
  • Blood Rain (Aurelio Zen, #7)
  • The Last Judgement (Jonathan Argyll, #4)
  • Don't Cry, Tai Lake (Inspector Chen Cao #7)
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • Ashes and Bones (An Emma Fielding Mystery, #6)
  • A Matter of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #11)
  • A Farewell to Legs (Aaron Tucker Mystery #2)
Donna Leon (born September 29, 1942, in Montclair, New Jersey) is an American author of a series of crime novels set in Venice and featuring the fictional hero Commissario Guido Brunetti.

Donna Leon has lived in Venice for over twenty-five years. She has worked as a lecturer in English Literature for the University of Maryland University College - Europe (UMUC-Europe) in Italy, then as a Professor
More about Donna Leon...

Commissario Brunetti (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1)
  • Death in a Strange Country (Commissario Brunetti, #2)
  • Dressed for Death (Commissario Brunetti, #3)
  • Death and Judgment (Commissario Brunetti, #4)
  • Acqua Alta (Commissario Brunetti, #5)
  • Quietly in Their Sleep (Commissario Brunetti, #6)
  • A Noble Radiance (Commissario Brunetti, #7)
  • Fatal Remedies (Commissario Brunetti, #8)
  • Friends in High Places (Commissario Brunetti, #9)
  • A Sea of Troubles (Commissario Brunetti, #10)

“Most people — however much they might deny it — had an idea of what they were getting into when they got into it.” 2 likes
“Perception of personal danger very often set people on the path of virtue.” 2 likes