The Mother-Daughter Show

The Mother-Daughter Show

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  16 reviews
At Barton Friends, a D.C. prep school so elite its parent body includes the President and First Lady, three mothers throw themselves into organizing the annual musical revue. Will its Machiavellian intrigue somehow enable them to connect with their graduating daughters, who are fast spinning out of control?

By turns hilarious and poignant, The Mother Daughter show will appe...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Fuze Publishing LLC

Maggie
Life is too short to finish books with sentences like:

"Couldn't get to sleep without her lying there next to him, like she's his living blankie or something." (p. 19)

And

"it was a question that popped up all too often here in the nation's career-obsessed capital." (p. 44)

I tried. I wanted to like it; I usually like books set at schools. But the writing was tediously banal.
Heather
I got this book free from goodreads first reads. I was suprised by this book. Fun, smart, witty, quick read. I found myself singing Amanda's Gershwin for days (and likely will for days to come).
Wexler hit some tough issues with no fear, real feeling, and without the browbeating that often comes with teen issues. As a young Mother I can relate to the moms, but see enough of the kids to feel the dynamics in each family.

Fun read.
proseaddict
This book was so tedious, ......enough said.
Wendy Hines
At Barton Friends, a D.C. prep school so elite its parent body includes the President and First Lady, three mothers throw themselves into the annual musical review. Will its Machiavellian intrigue somehow enable them to reconnect with their graduating daughters, who are quickly spinning out of control?

This book was every bit as fabulous as I thought it would be. These mothers are three very different types of people who each have approached life in their own manner. Each one has a unique and pre...more
Erika Dreifus
I've had the privilege of reading Natalie Wexler's writing since 1997, when we met in a fiction workshop. I loved her first, award-winning novel (A MORE OBEDIENT WIFE), and I'm proud to support this one.

Here's my take on THE MOTHER DAUGHTER SHOW:

These housewives of D.C. may be privileged, but they are nonetheless sandwiched between the rocks of their ailing mothers' needs and the hard places of their unreadable daughters' imminent graduation from the exclusive Barton Friends School. Toss in a fe...more
Debra Martin
The Mother Daughter Show is the story of three women and their daughters--the good one, the unresponsive one and the rebellious one--and their journey to a new and profound understanding for everyone. The exploration of their hopes and dreams reveals some unexpected and sometimes humorous results, but not before some serious issues are brought to light.

The daughters all attend the private and exclusive school, Barton’s Friends School. It is a tradition for all the mothers of senior girls to put...more
Lesa
Ever wonder what it’s like to be one of those parents sending their children to an exclusive Quaker school in Washington, D.C.? Wexler creates her own school, Barton Friends School, and then invites readers into the lives of three mothers in The Mother Daughter Show. That world isn’t all peaches and cream.

It’s time for the mothers of the senior girls at Barton to work on the annual mother daughter show. The show will consist of skits and songs, and, hopefully, a great deal of laughter from the s...more
Caitlin
I accepted this book for review out of curiosity more than anything. The world of big fancy houses and private school and Kate Spade handbags for teenaged daughters is pretty far removed from me and my choices. I'm not criticizing people who choose to live this way - people need to do what works for them - but this is so far removed from my own choices as to be almost science fiction. Nonetheless, I am one-half of a mother/daughter relationship and I think those are difficult for everyone involv...more
Jean-Marie
As a survivor of the 2011 Mother Daughter Show at Sidwell Friends, I am not sure which makes me shudder more: recollections of rehearsals replete with mommies pretending not to be tweeting for updates on their daughters' college status (twas the season) or Natalie Wexler's plodding prose. Granted, there's not a lot to work with: the high point of one rehearsal was when FDA head and Sidwell mommy arrived ten minutes late and we all wondered if there was a new anthrax threat in Upper Northwest. ("...more
Sandie
It's just after the holidays, so that means it's time for a honored tradition at Barton Friends School. Every year, the mothers of the senior girls put on a singing, dancing show honoring their daughters with fun songs and humorous skits to show their love. As those familiar with this environment might imagine, competition is fierce to put on the best show possible and outshine the shows that came before.

Natalie Wexler's The Mother Daughter Show tracks the creation of this year's extravaganza th...more
Joanne
Nebraska vs Washington DC? Though these locations are miles apart the three main characters and their families could easily reside in my state Nebraska. As an alumna of a private high school and the mother of a daughter who also attended a private school, I recognize the truth of these characters and their situations. Enjoy this satire!

Dawna
Where have all the editors gone? Terrible writing--the frequently injected authorial voice is trite, whiney, condescending and NEVER humorous or charming. The author seems to be winking Palin-esque with self-serving description. I just couldn't force myself to finish the last half of this plodding, predictable story.
Kelly Hand
This was a quick and satisfying read. It is a perfect book for any DC mom who knows how parents around here can be, but what I like is that it points out how our choices do not necessarily determine how our kids turn out. In other words, we can't control destiny.
Margaret
It's a spoof on a real event that takes place at my very own high school. Every year the mothers of senior girls put on a show for their daughters and this is a fictional account of the preparation, rehearsals, complaints, backbiting, and drama connected with it.
Anna Maria
It was a quick read. Entertaining. Natalie Wexler is on Learning Ally's DC Board, so I wanted to get a better idea of her writing style. I will read An Obedient Wife.
Emilie
Not good, y'all, not good. Just plain silly.
Chalaina
Chalaina marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Susan S
Susan S marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Emmeline
Emmeline marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Lenora Rogers
Lenora Rogers marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2012
Liesel Hill
Liesel Hill marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Natalie Wexler is a writer and historian who lives in Washington, D.C. She is the author of two novels, The Mother Daughter Show and A More Obedient Wife. Her feature articles, essays, and short stories have appeared in a number of publications.
More about Natalie Wexler...
A More Obedient Wife: A Novel of the Early Supreme Court The Observer A More Obedient Wife, a Novel of the Early Supreme Court The Mother Daughter Show