Start by marking “The Mother-Daughter Show” as Want to Read:
The Mother-Daughter Show

The Mother-Daughter Show

At Barton Friends, a D.C. prep school so elite its parent body includes the President and First Lady, three mothers throw themselves into organizing the annual musical revue. Will its Machiavellian intrigue somehow enable them to connect with their graduating daughters, who are fast spinning out of control?

By turns hilarious and poignant, The Mother Daughter show will appe
Published December 1st 2011 by Fuze Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Mother-Daughter Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mother-Daughter Show

Maggie
Nov 17, 2011 Maggie rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Life is too short to finish books with sentences like:

"Couldn't get to sleep without her lying there next to him, like she's his living blankie or something." (p. 19)

And

"it was a question that popped up all too often here in the nation's career-obsessed capital." (p. 44)

I tried. I wanted to like it; I usually like books set at schools. But the writing was tediously banal.
Heather
May 22, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
I got this book free from goodreads first reads. I was suprised by this book. Fun, smart, witty, quick read. I found myself singing Amanda's Gershwin for days (and likely will for days to come).
Wexler hit some tough issues with no fear, real feeling, and without the browbeating that often comes with teen issues. As a young Mother I can relate to the moms, but see enough of the kids to feel the dynamics in each family.

Fun read.
Erika Dreifus
Nov 26, 2011 Erika Dreifus rated it it was amazing
I've had the privilege of reading Natalie Wexler's writing since 1997, when we met in a fiction workshop. I loved her first, award-winning novel (A MORE OBEDIENT WIFE), and I'm proud to support this one.

Here's my take on THE MOTHER DAUGHTER SHOW:

These housewives of D.C. may be privileged, but they are nonetheless sandwiched between the rocks of their ailing mothers' needs and the hard places of their unreadable daughters' imminent graduation from the exclusive Barton Friends School. Toss in a fe
proseaddict
Nov 24, 2011 proseaddict rated it did not like it
This book was so tedious, ......enough said.
Lesa
Dec 13, 2011 Lesa rated it liked it
Ever wonder what it’s like to be one of those parents sending their children to an exclusive Quaker school in Washington, D.C.? Wexler creates her own school, Barton Friends School, and then invites readers into the lives of three mothers in The Mother Daughter Show. That world isn’t all peaches and cream.

It’s time for the mothers of the senior girls at Barton to work on the annual mother daughter show. The show will consist of skits and songs, and, hopefully, a great deal of laughter from the s
Sandie
Apr 21, 2012 Sandie rated it really liked it
It's just after the holidays, so that means it's time for a honored tradition at Barton Friends School. Every year, the mothers of the senior girls put on a singing, dancing show honoring their daughters with fun songs and humorous skits to show their love. As those familiar with this environment might imagine, competition is fierce to put on the best show possible and outshine the shows that came before.

Natalie Wexler's The Mother Daughter Show tracks the creation of this year's extravaganza th
Caitlin
Dec 08, 2011 Caitlin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I accepted this book for review out of curiosity more than anything. The world of big fancy houses and private school and Kate Spade handbags for teenaged daughters is pretty far removed from me and my choices. I'm not criticizing people who choose to live this way - people need to do what works for them - but this is so far removed from my own choices as to be almost science fiction. Nonetheless, I am one-half of a mother/daughter relationship and I think those are difficult for everyone involv ...more
Debra Martin
Jan 23, 2016 Debra Martin rated it really liked it
The Mother Daughter Show is the story of three women and their daughters--the good one, the unresponsive one and the rebellious one--and their journey to a new and profound understanding for everyone. The exploration of their hopes and dreams reveals some unexpected and sometimes humorous results, but not before some serious issues are brought to light.

The daughters all attend the private and exclusive school, Barton’s Friends School. It is a tradition for all the mothers of senior girls to put
Wendy Hines
Jul 03, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it liked it
At Barton Friends, a D.C. prep school so elite its parent body includes the President and First Lady, three mothers throw themselves into the annual musical review. Will its Machiavellian intrigue somehow enable them to reconnect with their graduating daughters, who are quickly spinning out of control?

This book was every bit as fabulous as I thought it would be. These mothers are three very different types of people who each have approached life in their own manner. Each one has a unique and pre
Jean-Marie
Nov 30, 2014 Jean-Marie rated it did not like it
As a survivor of the 2011 Sidwell Friends Mother Daughter Show, I am not sure which makes me shudder more: recollections of rehearsals replete with mothers tweeting updates on their daughters' college status between dance numbers or Natalie Wexler's plodding prose.

Granted, there's not a lot to work with: the high point of one rehearsal featured the late arrival of FDA head and Sidwell mother, causing the rest of us to wonder whether a new wave of anthrax poisoning threatened in Upper Northwest
Dawna
May 29, 2013 Dawna rated it did not like it
Where have all the editors gone? Terrible writing--the frequently injected authorial voice is trite, whiney, condescending and NEVER humorous or charming. The author seems to be winking Palin-esque with self-serving description. I just couldn't force myself to finish the last half of this plodding, predictable story.
Joanne
May 06, 2012 Joanne rated it liked it
Nebraska vs Washington DC? Though these locations are miles apart the three main characters and their families could easily reside in my state Nebraska. As an alumna of a private high school and the mother of a daughter who also attended a private school, I recognize the truth of these characters and their situations. Enjoy this satire!

Margaret
Jan 15, 2012 Margaret rated it liked it
It's a spoof on a real event that takes place at my very own high school. Every year the mothers of senior girls put on a show for their daughters and this is a fictional account of the preparation, rehearsals, complaints, backbiting, and drama connected with it.
Kelly Hand
Apr 22, 2013 Kelly Hand rated it it was amazing
This was a quick and satisfying read. It is a perfect book for any DC mom who knows how parents around here can be, but what I like is that it points out how our choices do not necessarily determine how our kids turn out. In other words, we can't control destiny.
Aggie Sanders
Oct 23, 2014 Aggie Sanders rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Just awful. Made it to page 27, hoping to find a believable character or even the hint of an interesting plot, but lost my will to go on. Life is too short to spend any more time on this ridiculous book. So I'm not.
Anna Maria
It was a quick read. Entertaining. Natalie Wexler is on Learning Ally's DC Board, so I wanted to get a better idea of her writing style. I will read An Obedient Wife.
Ellie
Ellie rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2012
Meg Tinsley
Meg Tinsley rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2011
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2011
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2011
Katy
Katy rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2012
Elizabeth Toyn
Elizabeth Toyn rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2012
Kenneth H Anderson
Kenneth H Anderson rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2012
Joyce Bonner
Joyce Bonner rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Nikki
Nikki rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Molly Tinsley
Molly Tinsley rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2012
Linda Stern-Siegel
Linda Stern-Siegel rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2015
Martha Gimbel
Martha Gimbel rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2016
Natalie Wexler is a writer and historian who lives in Washington, D.C. She is the author of two novels, The Mother Daughter Show and A More Obedient Wife. Her feature articles, essays, and short stories have appeared in a number of publications.
More about Natalie Wexler...