Start by marking “Dispatches From Wondermark Manor” as Want to Read:
Dispatches From Wondermark Manor

Dispatches From Wondermark Manor

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Victorian adventure -- an era full of top-hatted intrigue, dirigibles galore, all-too-demure sensuality and completely unironic classism. Now there's an antidote: Dispatches from Wondermark Manor, a rollicking, absurd, completely ridiculous yarn from the author of the celebrated comic strip "Wondermark."

Taking the tropes of Conan Doyle-style adventure fiction and ramping t
Published October 2011 by Bearstache Books (first published September 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dispatches From Wondermark Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dispatches From Wondermark Manor

Mark
Feb 21, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely hilarious and full of some of the craziest descriptions I have ever read. It starts off with shorter chapters detailing strange and comical occurrences in the manor, then seems to grasp a thread of an actual continuous storyline and follows through to the end. Malki ! is not afraid to take completely unexpected turns with characters, usually to their detriment but always for the greater good of the plot. Any fans of Victorian novels will love this parody and the many stab ...more
Amanda
May 15, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
I originally read this as the three separate volumes, and there is definitely a variable quality of writing and story between them, but on the whole made for a very entertaining parody of Victorian novels.
Brian Coldridge
Feb 22, 2012 Brian Coldridge rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
Could not finish. The Wondermark comics are good, but this book was dreadful.

The author seemed barely able to finish a sentence without adding ten or twenty extra words, which left the prose unreadable at best. It's supposed to be a parody of Victorian novels, but as someone who enjoys this genre, it did nothing more than point out just how hard a Victorian novel is to write correctly.

Skip this abomination and get the Wondermark comics instead, which are readable and funny. This book is not.
Jerfus
Jan 04, 2014 Jerfus rated it liked it
This book is highly irreverent and rather amusing but I still find myself at a loss here... while it is entertaining I'm afraid it's hardly enticing enough to make me feel truly interested in the story, I read it merely for the randomness and black humor and while the story itself is at times alluring I am still not drawn into it.
Natasha M.
I bought this book thinking that, as I enjoyed the Wondermark comics I might like this as well.

Big mistake.

If I could give this a negative rating I would. As it is I think it a miracle I even brought myself to finish this book. If I wasn't part of a book-reading challenge I would've chucked this book across the room a long, long time ago.
Miasma Kat
Jan 29, 2013 Miasma Kat rated it liked it
This is a very very strange book. It initially starts of as a collection of disconnected short stories and then the plot comes out. It seems to be set in Victorian England however towards the end a few modern bits and pieces start to appear.
François-Denis Gonthier
I have read this book as 3 separate books. The plot is not always easy to follow but the whole absurdness of it makes it a must read for people loving literature which likes to stray far away from common sense.
Josh Ronsen
Aug 30, 2013 Josh Ronsen rated it it was amazing
An extremely fun and silly book! It's very weird. From previous comments it seems you'll either adore or detest this book. If there is the chance that you could be in the former category, you have to read this.
Travis
Jan 28, 2012 Travis rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best parody Victorian novels I have ever encountered. Nowhere else will you find such a depiction of cheese-twirling nor such a look into the secretive society of the Yam-Runners.
Andrew
Jul 03, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
Weird, weird book. I enjoyed it but would not recommend it.
Sara
May 19, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
A great book when in the mood for a Victorian parody!
Jason
Jason is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Stacia
Stacia marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Desi
Desi marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Booklish
Booklish marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Yasir Husain
Yasir Husain marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Thomas Bishop
Thomas Bishop rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Claudine
Claudine marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
JArthurZuidema
JArthurZuidema rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Edward Petersen
Edward Petersen marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Mark Siragusa
Mark Siragusa rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Tobias
Tobias rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Michael Presson
Michael Presson marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Ron Skurat
Ron Skurat marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Malki ! spells his name with an honorofic exclamation point. He is the author of the comic strip "Wondermark", which repurposes illustrations and engravings from 19th-Century books into sarcastic, silly, and surreal collage-style comic strips. The Wondermark book Beards of our Forefathers was nominated for the Eisner Award -- the highest honor in comics -- for "Best Humorous Publication."

Ma
More about David Malki...