Start by marking “Dispatches From Wondermark Manor” as Want to Read:
Dispatches From Wondermark Manor

Dispatches From Wondermark Manor

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Victorian adventure -- an era full of top-hatted intrigue, dirigibles galore, all-too-demure sensuality and completely unironic classism. Now there's an antidote: Dispatches from Wondermark Manor, a rollicking, absurd, completely ridiculous yarn from the author of the celebrated comic strip "Wondermark."

Taking the tropes of Conan Doyle-style adventure fiction and ramping t
Published October 2011 by Bearstache Books (first published September 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dispatches From Wondermark Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dispatches From Wondermark Manor

Mark
This book is absolutely hilarious and full of some of the craziest descriptions I have ever read. It starts off with shorter chapters detailing strange and comical occurrences in the manor, then seems to grasp a thread of an actual continuous storyline and follows through to the end. Malki ! is not afraid to take completely unexpected turns with characters, usually to their detriment but always for the greater good of the plot. Any fans of Victorian novels will love this parody and the many stab ...more
Amanda
I originally read this as the three separate volumes, and there is definitely a variable quality of writing and story between them, but on the whole made for a very entertaining parody of Victorian novels.
Brian Coldridge
Feb 22, 2012 Brian Coldridge rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Could not finish. The Wondermark comics are good, but this book was dreadful.

The author seemed barely able to finish a sentence without adding ten or twenty extra words, which left the prose unreadable at best. It's supposed to be a parody of Victorian novels, but as someone who enjoys this genre, it did nothing more than point out just how hard a Victorian novel is to write correctly.

Skip this abomination and get the Wondermark comics instead, which are readable and funny. This book is not.
Jerfus
This book is highly irreverent and rather amusing but I still find myself at a loss here... while it is entertaining I'm afraid it's hardly enticing enough to make me feel truly interested in the story, I read it merely for the randomness and black humor and while the story itself is at times alluring I am still not drawn into it.
Natasha M.
I bought this book thinking that, as I enjoyed the Wondermark comics I might like this as well.

Big mistake.

If I could give this a negative rating I would. As it is I think it a miracle I even brought myself to finish this book. If I wasn't part of a book-reading challenge I would've chucked this book across the room a long, long time ago.
Miasma Kat
This is a very very strange book. It initially starts of as a collection of disconnected short stories and then the plot comes out. It seems to be set in Victorian England however towards the end a few modern bits and pieces start to appear.
François-Denis Gonthier
I have read this book as 3 separate books. The plot is not always easy to follow but the whole absurdness of it makes it a must read for people loving literature which likes to stray far away from common sense.
Josh Ronsen
An extremely fun and silly book! It's very weird. From previous comments it seems you'll either adore or detest this book. If there is the chance that you could be in the former category, you have to read this.
Travis
Absolutely the best parody Victorian novels I have ever encountered. Nowhere else will you find such a depiction of cheese-twirling nor such a look into the secretive society of the Yam-Runners.
Andrew
Weird, weird book. I enjoyed it but would not recommend it.
Sara
A great book when in the mood for a Victorian parody!
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Kira
Kira is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2014
Will Hickox
Will Hickox marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Jeremy Frens
Jeremy Frens marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
E.E.
E.E. marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Araselle Vivenza
Araselle Vivenza is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
David Malki ! spells his name with an honorofic exclamation point. He is the author of the comic strip "Wondermark", which repurposes illustrations and engravings from 19th-Century books into sarcastic, silly, and surreal collage-style comic strips. The Wondermark book Beards of our Forefathers was nominated for the Eisner Award -- the highest honor in comics -- for "Best Humorous Publication."

Ma
More about David Malki...
Wondermark, Vol. 1: Beards of Our Forefathers Wondermark, Vol. 2: Clever Tricks to Stave Off Death Wondermark, Vol. 3: Dapper Caps and Pedal-Copters The Annotated Wondermark Wondermark, Vol. 4: Emperor of the Food Chain