Start by marking “The Girl Nobody Wants - A Shocking True Story of Child Abuse in Ireland” as Want to Read:
The Girl Nobody Wants - A Shocking True Story of Child Abuse in Ireland

The Girl Nobody Wants - A Shocking True Story of Child Abuse in Ireland

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  625 ratings  ·  68 reviews
"It's my 40th birthday today and I'm trying to smile, but as I look in the mirror all I can see is an empty shell, someone waiting to die... You could never tell that anything was wrong with me by just looking at me, as I dress clean and I keep myself tidy, and I have a smile on my face that hides my emotions and over the years I've become an expert at hiding behind it" Th ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Troubador Publishing (first published September 27th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Nobody Wants - A Shocking True Story of Child Abuse in Ireland

C.C. Cole
I finished this disturbing book yesterday and spent today thinking about it. When I downloaded the cover for this post, I saw a one-star review where a reader says the story isn’t true. Two points I’ll make up front:

1) I wasn’t there, so I see no reason to disbelieve the writer unless some other information comes out.
2) Whether or not the story is true or false, here’s a truth: There are people in this world that consider those that cannot help themselves (children, vulnerable adults, animals) a
K
This is a hard book to rate. Yes, the writing is not grammatically correct or "proper" in many ways, however it reads like a testimony of someone who suffers mentally. Those with PTSD, psychosis, or other mental ailments may understand the rapid, lengthy, rambling/racing thoughts one gets in these states- This reads like someone is speaking to you in person in such a state. Admittedly, it took me a while to get used to this, there are a lot of "and then", "but" or fragmented sentences. If you st ...more
Christine
I ready this very quickly. I couldn't put it down. A page turner. It pulled so many emotions from me. Sadness, anger, shock, regret, happiness, the want to protect, plus so many more. An excellent book. Its such a shock that people could be so mean, cruel, and heartless to little children.
Lori
It's hard for me to give this book an "I loved it" rating - simply because of the content. My mind is blown away that this type of abuse can still go on in the world. I consider Ireland and England to be highly developed countries and to know that this went on not long ago and by soo many ignorant ignorant people and the Church just makes me want to cry. It took only one person to save Lily from this life - imagine what her life could have been had someone stepped in when she was 3 or 4 years ol ...more
Michelle

This book is incredibly hard to read, both in grammar and topic. Some reviews felt that it was made up because things didn't seem consistent (as in on one page she had no hair and a few pages later someone was pulling her by the hair)-I'm thinking that it was more because the timeline wasn't clear and consistent. It jumped around through different ages very quickly. This book was not edited well and the run on sentences and spelling and grammar mistakes made me insane at times.
Karl Wiggins
I Don't believe it.

I don't believe it for two reasons. First of all, this woman claims to have been sexually abused by just about everyone she ever met. Let's list them: Her stepfather, her older brother, her sister's boyfriend, the boy at the farm, the lesbian nuns, and the priest who was a brother of the nice family. There's another one, I'm sure, but I lost track. And then the ones who didn't sexually abuse her kicked her, hit her (daily), locked her in cupboards, fed her vomit, gravel and as
Summerc79
We have all heard of child abuse and been horrifed by it. In recent years, some new cases came to light, including the "Ireland Church Scandal". How can anyone not be disgusted by what some human beings inflicted on innocents?
This book hit me in the guts. From a literary point of view, it is a bit naive, not very polished. But I think this is what this sort of book needs. It needs to be raw, to be about fact and not about florish. The fast that the story is told at the 1st person makes it all th
Shwetika
I really don't know how to rate this book . All I can say if it's a real story ( I don't know why an author would lie about it being real) I feel so sorry for lily. With every page i read my heart shattered into millions of pieces. I feel like killing her mother for being so negligent of her own children How could she ?? She just let a 2 year old free on roads for full day without food and water and that to on daily bases !!!!! God Some one should shoot her !! and her step dad That manic SOB!!! ...more
Ruth Turner

DNF

If I could rate this book with no stars, I would.

It's appalling.

For a start, it's badly written, really badly written.

Then, she was abused by her older brother, her step father, her sister's boyfriend and approached by a nameless black man with his hand in his pants. All in the first chapter.

Another thing I have a problem with is the author's vivid recollections of abuse from when she was three or four. This quote was in relation to her first sexual abuse by her sister's boyfriend "it looke
Christina Brendible-martinez
Great inspiring book on just how much a human can handle. I started to read this book and found myself always thinking, this book could not get worse and when it did I just really reflected on how cruel humans really are. Lily has such courage to write what happened to her and to do it with such entailing detail. I felt myself with a lot of up and downs reading this book, I cheered for her victories and wept with her during her miseries.
Misty
This is a very emotional book about a girl who was abused too many times to count. In this book this woman does recount her abuse history in detail so keep an open mind on how she and her other siblings felt and coped during these horrific encounters. This is a good book and gives an understanding of how abuse victims feel and have to grow up dealing with this trauma.
Kerry Jones
A fabulous though disturbing read. Almost brought me to tears (takes a lot). Would definitely recommend this book.
Denise Kuntz
This book was very hard to finish due to all the abuse that Lily dealt with all her life;however, I did finish it. There are so many cruel people in this world,this is a true story.
Dana
Some of the things in this book seemed far-fetched, but overall it was pretty good. There were a lot of grammatical mistakes.
Jaz Sinner
Breaks your heart to read this story it's truly amazing what humans will endure to continue to live
Courtni
I never write reviews for books that I read but this book was amazing. Not amazing in a happy way but amazing as in very touching and moving. As I read this book I began to realize that I need to cherish life and how good I had as a child. We all have problems growing up in life but to not have a childhood is not right. It is cruel that her family got away with all the harmful stuff they did to her and how no one stepped up and made it stop. No child should be treated that way and no adult shoul ...more
Amanda
I'm not even sure if the word shocking does this story justice, it's beyond shocking how so many people hurt this poor girl and it's amazing that she is still alive. I feel extremely sad for her as she has to continue to struggle and live with the horrible memories that will haunt her for the rest of her life. I hope she can find even just a little bit of peace and a break occasionally from the sadness of it all. It's a sick and twisted thing when people hurt children and it makes me sick to my ...more
Natalia Vargas
I couldn't put this book down!!

The things that the children in this book went through completely broke my heart. It only took me one day to read it because I just couldn't stop. I cried while reading it and I have never cried from reading a book. I thought this was such a good story. I hope that Lily has found some peace in life. I also hope that all of those who abused her rot in hell.
Lexylith Ium
The fact that this book is based on true events is mostly shocking. You have to keep wondering how people can get so cruel, and how so many of these cruel people can concentrate around one single person. I also kept asking myself, why nuns (and all the other abusive people of course) - but especially the nuns, got so much pleasure from inducing pain. And how can it be, that in such 'closed societies', abusive and hurtful behavior becomes the normality of everyday life? What drives people to beha ...more
Tracy
This book was difficult to read. It was written by a survivor of horrific abuse in her own home and then later in the catholic institutions in Ireland. It probably took me a few days to recover after reading this book. It was just too heartbreaking!!
Georgiana Romanovna
Had I known how horrific Lily's story is I am unsure as to whether I would have read it. I don't run from the cruel realities of life, but I also don't make a habit of running towards them.
I have read that some people do not believe this story to be true - I do believe Lily. There are some things one cannot make up from thin air, and Lily's emotions, even as she grew older, were those of someone who had been abused beyond human bearing.
For those who disbelieve her - ask yourselves if you are a
Brandy Carrillo
This book was so heartbreaking! I couldn't even imagine what this woman went through as a little girl. I do feel at times she should have told the authorities what had happened to her and her siblings sooner than later. The police were involved in a lot of the story while she was an adult, and that's when she should have told them the truth about her previous abuse. Language was a bit hard to follow at times. But other than that....an amazing book!
Nancy Osberg-otrembiak
I really wanted to rate this book five stars because of the bravery shown by the author to put down on paper all the horrible circumstances of her life. I do not know how I would have had the courage to do that if it had been my life.
But part of the rating,I believe, should come from the purpose itself, and while the book was engaging, the purpose was lacking.
Without a purpose rating included, it would be five stars.
Janice Mcconnell
Wow!

I don't know what to say. I was shocked that anyone could allow this to happen to a child over and over again. This poor girl and her siblings never had a chance. I thought when they went to live in the convent, life was looking brighter. I was so wrong. I was sickened by the nuns' actions. I pray Lily has finally found peace.
Tianna Marie
OMG this book was so sad. How could one child go through so much abuse. A child is supposed to be surrounded by love. The author suffered through TREMENDOUS amounts of verbal and physical abuse. Some at the hands of family, boyfriends, and Catholic nuns. This book is a true story and it will open your eyes to some of the horrors in a foster care system.
Jo Sorrell
I just finished The Girl Nobody Wants: A Shocking True Story of Child Abuse in Ireland. This is labeled as biography. If it is all factual, I don't know what kept this child alive. The book is VERY GRAPHIC. It reads more like a journal and the writing is not the best, but it will keep you reading to find out what happens to Lily O'Brein.
Willi
These children who have continually been subjected to physical, mental & sexual assaults by adults, are angels upon this earth. I cried and was actually physically sick during my read.People at my job said I looked horrible and I was so very depressed by this book. I cannot imagine how these actions can actually happen but I know they do.
Sharon
This book is so sad

To sit and read the torment and hell that children went threw at the hands of so called nuns , family and is so unbelievably horrifying. This book will bring tears to you as you are taken threw the life of Lily and her siblings. This is one of the most horrific books I have ever read on child abuse.
latrice Simmons
WOW......

This was certainly a good read..... I myself had a horrible childhood ... that as u rightfully said... still play in my head.. but, one thing that help me and still is helping me... is accepting Jesus Christ as my PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOUR. Try Jesus today. You will never regret
Samantha
Absolutely heartbreaking! I was devastated as I read Lily's story but I could not put it down in hopes that things would look up for her. It'd disgusting to think about what all of those sweet children had to go through at the hands of the people that were supposed to be caring for them.
  • I'm No Monster: The Horrifying True Story of Josef Fritzl
  • Baby X: Britain's Child Abusers Brought To Justice
  • Little Prisoners: A Tragic Story of Siblings Trapped in a World of Abuse and Suffering
  • I Did Tell, I Did: The True Story of a Little Girl Betrayed by Those Who Should Have Loved Her
  • Abducted: Taken Tortured Terrified
  • Living with Evil
  • Leila's Secret
  • Delivered from Evil: True Stories of Ordinary People Who Faced Monstrous Mass Killers and Survived
  • Empty Chairs
  • Death from Child Abuse-- And No One Heard
  • American Junkie
  • Escape from Evil: Married at 17 to a Serial Killer, She's One Victim Who Escaped
  • Mummy's Little Girl: A Desperate Race To Save A Lost Child
  • My Life as a Traitor: An Iranian Memoir
  • Memoir of a Milk Carton Kid
  • Fetal Abduction: The True Story of Multiple Personalities and Murder
  • Mummy Knew
  • Groomed: An Uncle Who Went Too Far, a Mother Who Didn't Care, a Little Girl Who Waited for Justice
Dragonstar-Rayn~Wolfbeak